The Dirty South-Reissue Preorder

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

The Dirty South-Reissue Preorder

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

https://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday ... lp?cp=null

In 2004 the Drive-By Truckers released what would become one of their best-selling album in their catalog. The Dirty South is a concept album that examines the state of the South, and unveils the hypocrisy, irony, and tragedy that continues to exist.
The album features live show staples like,
"Tornadoes", "Where The Devil Don't Stay" and
"Puttin' People On The Moon" as well as rarities like "Goode's Field Road" and "Daddy's
Cup."
The Complete Dirty South is a band-led rework of the original album. Principal member,
Patterson Hood, Took the reins and reimagined this record as it was originally intended. The complete version features re-sequeced audio, three additional tracks, four remixes along with updated vocals.
The packaging comes with a perfect bound book featuring liner notes from Patterson
Hood, track by track descriptions from Mike Cooley and Jason Isbell as well as never before seen photos along with updated artwork from the late Wes Freed.
"This 'Director's Cut' is the way it was always intended to be heard"
- Patterson Hood
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brettac1

Re: The Dirty South-Reissue Preorder

Post by brettac1 »

Was so excited when I saw this at the auction. Getting it immediately.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

ford911

Post by ford911 »

I bought the version with the signed litho from New West. $60 is a steal for this package!

https://newwestrecords.com/collections/ ... olor-vinyl

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I snagged that one, too. Might as well put even more DBT stuff on my walls.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I will no doubt be pre ordering this but I do have mixed feelings. I love the way it all looks and always look forward to new releases. However I have never been into bands redoing previous albums. After so many years of listening to the original album it is hard for me to get into new versions. I have listened to PPOTM but something just feels off. Maybe it's just me and I will get used to it. I do look forward to hearing the whole album before I make any judgement. But like I said I will be ordering this immediately.

Clams

Post by Clams »

lajakesdad wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:21 pm
I will no doubt be pre ordering this but I do have mixed feelings. I love the way it all looks and always look forward to new releases. However I have never been into bands redoing previous albums. After so many years of listening to the original album it is hard for me to get into new versions. I have listened to PPOTM but something just feels off. Maybe it's just me and I will get used to it. I do look forward to hearing the whole album before I make any judgement. But like I said I will be ordering this immediately.
Haven't heard the new PPOTM yet but I think the re-recorded versions of Uncle Frank (on The Fine Print) and Gravity's Gone (on the greatest hits record) are both much better than the originals. So I'd say it bodes well for the new ones here.
If you don't run you rust

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:28 pm
lajakesdad wrote:
Haven't heard the new PPOTM yet but I think the re-recorded versions of Uncle Frank (on The Fine Print) and Gravity's Gone (on the greatest hits record) are both much better than the originals. So I'd say it bodes well for the new ones here.
Yeah, PPOTM is one of my more favoriter songs, but agree the version on The Fine Print is far superior. Patterson's falsetto just didn't really work on the Dirty South version. Looking forward the re-issue, except you bastards already bought out all the signed copies. :x :D
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Clams wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:28 pm
Yeah I don't love the newer Uncle Frank. And I didn't even know the version of Gravity's Gone was different. I didn't spend too much time with that one.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:17 pm
you bastards already bought out all the signed copies.
Fer real? :o I never doubted they would sell out but wow that's fast.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

I am crushed I missed an opportunity at one of these. There must have not been many available to go ever so quickly.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:31 am
I am crushed I missed an opportunity at one of these. There must have not been many available to go ever so quickly.
Think it was limited to 500.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I am normally not a big fan of reissues, but this one kind of makes sense, so my pre-order is in.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Have known about this for a little while, glad the word is out.
Ordered immediately yesterday, was able to grab one of the signed versions.
Can't wait to see the included book and read all the liner notes.
New vocals on PPOTM sound really good IMO.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Everyone preordering knows the definition of insanity, right?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

lajakesdad wrote:
I have listened to PPOTM but something just feels off. Maybe it's just me and I will get used to it.
Very different for sure. Only one listen in, but I strongly prefer the original version.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:58 pm
lajakesdad wrote:
I have listened to PPOTM but something just feels off. Maybe it's just me and I will get used to it.
Very different for sure. Only one listen in, but I strongly prefer the original version.
I agree about the vocals but I think the remastered music on the new version sounds a lot better
If you don't run you rust

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Clams wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:46 am
cortez the killer wrote:
lajakesdad wrote:
I agree about the vocals but I think the remastered music on the new version sounds a lot better
Does anyone know if all of the songs are going to have new vocal tracks? I'm down for remastering to clean up the sounds but all new vocals might take some getting used to.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lajakesdad wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:18 am
Clams wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:46 am
cortez the killer wrote:

Does anyone know if all of the songs are going to have new vocal tracks? I'm down for remastering to clean up the sounds but all new vocals might take some getting used to.
Only PPOTM and Sands of Iwo Jima have new vocals
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:23 am
OK I feel much better about this now. Thanks TC!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:34 pm
Everyone preordering knows the definition of insanity, right?
:lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

lajakesdad wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:27 am
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:23 am
OK I feel much better about this now. Thanks TC!!
Me too.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Got mine from New West yesterday.
Packaging was great but unfortunately mine was missing the 2nd LP.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Mine is set to deliver tomorrow.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Unfortunately, this seems to be an off-center pressing on LP2. It only seems to affect Side D. I got the whiskey-colored collector’s edition and, e.g., Goddamn Lonely Love is basically unlistenable with all the pitch drift. Anyone else? I have an email ticket in to New West about it. I’ll keep y’all posted.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Meh is all I can say. I can appreciate what they did but I doubt this will get much replay. I don’t mean to be a stick in the mud, but the original is still the definitive version for me. A bit unnecessary to be honest.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:13 pm
Unfortunately, this seems to be an off-center pressing on LP2. It only seems to affect Side D. I got the whiskey-colored collector’s edition and, e.g., Goddamn Lonely Love is basically unlistenable with all the pitch drift. Anyone else? I have an email ticket in to New West about it. I’ll keep y’all posted.
My LP just came yesterday and I haven't had a chance to spin it yet. I got the same one you did. Hopefully if this is a widespread issue they will rectify it. I recall that happening with the first pressing of The Big To-Do and them replacing them for everyone.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

guitarmanmcs wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:52 am
Meh is all I can say. I can appreciate what they did but I doubt this will get much replay. I don’t mean to be a stick in the mud, but the original is still the definitive version for me. A bit unnecessary to be honest.
I think you can say that about the most reissues/remasters.

MMJ’s “It Still Moves” remaster is the only one I can think of that made me delete the original version forever. That remix was like a completely new album and was infinitely better

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

In terms of the music itself, the new “Sands of Iwo Jima” is a pretty huge improvement, to my ears.

I’ll have to reserve judgment as to how putting TVA, Goode’s, and GCDW back into context affects my relationship to those songs. Too early to tell.

The booklet is STUNNING and so well done. Really enjoyed digging into that yesterday.
Last edited by Mundane Mayhem on Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Zip City wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:57 am
guitarmanmcs wrote:

MMJ’s “It Still Moves” remaster is the only one I can think of that made me delete the original version forever. That remix was like a completely new album and was infinitely better
Appreciate the recommendation. I never really dove too deep into their catalog. I have some time tomorrow so I’ll work on that. I take it I should start with this one in your opinion? I have heard nothing but great things.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

guitarmanmcs wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:18 pm
Zip City wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:57 am
guitarmanmcs wrote:

Appreciate the recommendation. I never really dove too deep into their catalog. I have some time tomorrow so I’ll work on that. I take it I should start with this one in your opinion? I have heard nothing but great things.
I think It Still Moves stands up as the “if you don’t like this, you won’t like MMJ” record. At Dawn and Z round out what many consider to be the “big 3”