The Dirty South-Reissue Preorder

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip Up to Michigan

Re: The Dirty South-Reissue Preorder

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:55 am
guitarmanmcs wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:18 pm
Zip City wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:57 am

I think you can say that about the most reissues/remasters.

MMJ’s “It Still Moves” remaster is the only one I can think of that made me delete the original version forever. That remix was like a completely new album and was infinitely better
Appreciate the recommendation. I never really dove too deep into their catalog. I have some time tomorrow so I’ll work on that. I take it I should start with this one in your opinion? I have heard nothing but great things.
I think It Still Moves stands up as the “if you don’t like this, you won’t like MMJ” record. At Dawn and Z round out what many consider to be the “big 3”
In terms of lyrical content and arrangment I agree but man, the production on the first couple of albums (which includes "At Dawn") leaves a lot to be desired as well. It's hard for me to listen to those records especially because the live iterations are so great.

I always start newbies with the live record, "Okonokos." If I could only listen to one MMJ record for the rest of time, it'd be that one.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:44 am
Zip City wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:55 am
guitarmanmcs wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:18 pm

Appreciate the recommendation. I never really dove too deep into their catalog. I have some time tomorrow so I’ll work on that. I take it I should start with this one in your opinion? I have heard nothing but great things.
I think It Still Moves stands up as the “if you don’t like this, you won’t like MMJ” record. At Dawn and Z round out what many consider to be the “big 3”
In terms of lyrical content and arrangment I agree but man, the production on the first couple of albums (which includes "At Dawn") leaves a lot to be desired as well. It's hard for me to listen to those records especially because the live iterations are so great.

I always start newbies with the live record, "Okonokos." If I could only listen to one MMJ record for the rest of time, it'd be that one.
Same. The three new live records are also great
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Elizabeth Nelson re-posted her 15 year retrospective on The Dirty South on her Twitter page. Worth a re-read, and if you haven't read it before, what are you waiting for?

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/20 ... h-turns-15
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just got the reissue package on vinyl and cd and all I can say is WOW! Haven't even listened yet but the whole package is just beautiful and reflects the care and love with which I know it was made.

We're used to Patterson writing about/commenting on his songs, but it's a pleasure to have Cooley chip in w/ some commentary on a few of his songs. His obvservations on "Where the Devil Don't Stay" are pretty much perfect and for everyone who would shout out for "Carl Perkins' Cadillac" at every show if it weren't so damn uncool and so unlikely to get a positive response, Cooley has this to say: "We haven't played it live that much, although I still do it in solo shows. I don't know why not. I still like it. Audiences like it. It just doesn't occur to me to put it out."

You wouldn't be wrong if you think I'm looking forward to actually listening to the thing :)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Through disc 1 of the cd version and I am definitely a fan. Superb. I guess most of the talk has been about the vocals, but the first thing that leaped out at me is the guitars. Crystal. The new vocal on "Putting People on the Moon" was well worth doing - really excellent, I think this version of "Goode's Field Road" fits nicely into the sound and feel of the album, but on its own I prefer some of the later reworkings. Disc 2 playing now.

Riddle me this oh wise ones: "Reagan" = 2 syllables. "Motherfucker" = 4 syllables. How does "motherfucker" fit so naturally, like it's always been that way? Is Hood channeling some of Cooley's sleight of vocal phrasing?

Bonus question: I don't think this has ever come up before: Doesn't the lyric that Mr. Phillips "put the wind in Carl's face" run contra to the rest of the song's view of Phillips? Or is Cooley saying that giving Perkins a Cadillac is what put the wind in Carl's face (i.e. literally)?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sorry for the serial posting but what can I say? I'm excited.

The resequencing of "The Buford Stick," Never Gonna Change" and "Cottonseed" is fantastic and makes all 4 songs (including Boys from Alabama) better. Patterson is so damn good at that kind of thing!!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:16 pm

Riddle me this oh wise ones: "Reagan" = 2 syllables. "Motherfucker" = 4 syllables. How does "motherfucker" fit so naturally, like it's always been that way? Is Hood channeling some of Cooley's sleight of vocal phrasing?
I am not sure if I’m a wise one, but the relevant phrase is “(a)nother joker” for that particular swap. So no magic here. But your general enthusiasm is warranted!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The resequencing threw me for a loop. I also assumed that they would be using the Fine Print versions of the cut songs, so was surprised to hear these new takes.

Like bubba, I still prefer the swampy BTCD version of Goode’s

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Also, count me among those who really like the new vocal track for PPOTM. It is much closer to how Patterson has been singing it live

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:45 am
The resequencing threw me for a loop. I also assumed that they would be using the Fine Print versions of the cut songs, so was surprised to hear these new takes.

Or the even swampier, more menacing versions of the last four or five years.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:13 pm
Unfortunately, this seems to be an off-center pressing on LP2. It only seems to affect Side D. I got the whiskey-colored collector’s edition and, e.g., Goddamn Lonely Love is basically unlistenable with all the pitch drift. Anyone else? I have an email ticket in to New West about it. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Anyone else having this issue? Crickets from NW so far.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:26 pm
Zip City wrote:

Roger that.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:26 pm
Zip City wrote:

Yep. Either way, neither the CDS or FP versions do a thing for me

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:28 am
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Unfortunately, this seems to be an off-center pressing on LP2. It only seems to affect Side D. I got the whiskey-colored collector’s edition and, e.g., Goddamn Lonely Love is basically unlistenable with all the pitch drift. Anyone else? I have an email ticket in to New West about it. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Email me at deangavney@gmail.com so that the powers that be can get this fixed

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

The package was well-assembled, but I wish there was more from the songwriters and players -- even Shonna? -- in the book. The "contributions from ..." barely amounts to more than what's been on DBT's website before.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

FInally listening to this. Sonically it's impressive (drum sound is to die for) but overall I'd question how necessary this release is.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:37 pm
FInally listening to this. Sonically it's impressive (drum sound is to die for) but overall I'd question how necessary this release is.
The way DBT originally released the album was pretty damn perfect, but I think this is better. TVA, Goode's Field Road and Great Car Dealer War improve the album. Yeah, Fine Print had those songs, but Fine Print was a disjointed collection of songs. Mixing them in here reframes those songs and gives the original release more depth.

As folks have said before, it's unfortunate they'd already released Uncle Frank on Pizza Deliverance because Uncle Frank and TVA would have worked well here as back-to-back counterpoints.

Vinyl packaging is great (though I regret I missed out on getting an autographed copy).

As you said, the remastering is impressive. I could go either way on Patterson's redo on PPOTTM. I was fine with the original, but I'm also fine with the new version. I love the original version of Iwo Jima, but I think the redo is better.

When I play Dirty South in the future, it's always gonna be this version.
Let the outside air in

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

I was a little cynical about this and unsure how necessary it really was. Wasn't that enthusiastic when it was announced. The original TDS is my favourite DBT album. If I was putting together a list of my top ten albums of all time it would 100% be in there.

Listened through several times now and I was wrong. They've improved upon the original and I really did need this. When I want to hear The Dirty South this is the version I'm going to go to. I can't praise it higher than that.

I need a similar package for SRO now.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

guitarmanmcs wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:52 am
Meh is all I can say. I can appreciate what they did but I doubt this will get much replay. I don’t mean to be a stick in the mud, but the original is still the definitive version for me. A bit unnecessary to be honest.
That’s a valid opinion. As for me when I revisited that era over the last decade it was always DD I reached for. I hadn’t listened to TDS in at least seven or eight years. This reimagining has it in regular rotation. When I listen to DBT it’s almost always live recordings, though so this was a way to get me back to the studio work.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I've always been sorta luke warm about TVA, and I think I know why. It's a song that's begging for a bridge. As it stands, it's one verse too long (though lyrically, they're all great), because it's just the same thing over and over. Needs something to break it up

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:07 am
I've always been sorta luke warm about TVA, and I think I know why. It's a song that's begging for a bridge. As it stands, it's one verse too long (though lyrically, they're all great), because it's just the same thing over and over. Needs something to break it up
I think you may be right about the bridge (or absence thereof) but I still love the song.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:04 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:28 am
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Email me at deangavney@gmail.com so that the powers that be can get this fixed
This issue was, thankfully, only with my copy. With an assist from TC and PH, the new copy arrived today and it sounds great. New West was transitioning to a new customer support system and my message fell through the cracks. No harm no foul. They even threw in some DBT matchbooks circa ABAAC.

This is a post about how rock and roll saved my life as a 36-year-old man. Thanks, TC and Patterson and NW!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I have enjoyed this more than I expected. I normally don’t care about reissues and such. But this is my favorite Truckers album and this was them at their best in my opinion. I have really enjoyed listening to this reissue and hearing the album as it was intended.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.