HeAthens Homecoming 3/29-4/1 2023

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

glennrwordman

Re: HeAthens Homecoming 3/29-4/1 2023

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:10 am
And yes the band and a notable percentage of male attendees were wearing dresses and skirts. I gather it had to do with some LGBTQ+ solidarity effort but I don't know the details. What do you think, people? Who wore it best?
My humble opinion:
BigDumbHick
Kevin Q
Fraley

But I was so proud of our community; basically our usual combination of joy, fun, mutual support, and a good stiff middle finger to hatred and bigotry.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Damn, what a great time. I'm still on somewhat of an adrenaline rush that got me through the 1.5 hour drive home from the airport at around midnight last night. I have no idea how that is even possible 36 hours after the last show ended considering I've only been under the influence of copious amounts of BBQ.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

Flea

Post by Flea »

glennrwordman wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:19 am
beantownbubba wrote:
And yes the band and a notable percentage of male attendees were wearing dresses and skirts. I gather it had to do with some LGBTQ+ solidarity effort but I don't know the details. What do you think, people? Who wore it best?
My humble opinion:
BigDumbHick
Kevin Q
Fraley

But I was so proud of our community; basically our usual combination of joy, fun, mutual support, and a good stiff middle finger to hatred and bigotry.
You may thank me for Fraley's dress, that was the one I decided not to wear!
Now it's dark.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I just wanted to let y’all know that I made it home Sunday, my family is fine, Bryan and family are fine, and my house is fine minus some roof damage. Very close to my house was not fine.

One of my children is a student at my town’s elementary school and one at my town’s middle school. Both schools will be demolished and rebuilt if they don’t collapse. We can see the buildings from our backyard!

We are so lucky/fortunate/blessed!

I am amazed how many people have come to Covington from across America to help. My boss allowed me to work with a relief effort yesterday pm. Many lost everything.

I hope to see y’all again soon. We had a helluva weekend, and I love you folks!

Let there be rock!
Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:38 pm
Will we get Tornadoes tonight???

I just talked to my wife. We are blessed with a storm shelter, but we lost our swing set and many shingles.

I live in Covington, TN, and I just saw the town on the weather channel in Athens!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Flea wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:31 pm
glennrwordman wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
My humble opinion:
BigDumbHick
Kevin Q
Fraley

For those of us that missed HC....can we get some more stories/pictures/context on the dresses?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I’m pretty sure we could auction some pics for nucci’s next year! Maybe we should frame one and give to Patterson!
pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:15 pm
Flea wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:

My humble opinion:
BigDumbHick
Kevin Q
Fraley

For those of us that missed HC....can we get some more stories/pictures/context on the dresses?

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:11 pm
I just wanted to let y’all know that I made it home Sunday, my family is fine, Bryan and family are fine, and my house is fine minus some roof damage. Very close to my house was not fine.

One of my children is a student at my town’s elementary school and one at my town’s middle school. Both schools will be demolished and rebuilt if they don’t collapse. We can see the buildings from our backyard!

We are so lucky/fortunate/blessed!

I am amazed how many people have come to Covington from across America to help. My boss allowed me to work with a relief effort yesterday pm. Many lost everything.

I hope to see y’all again soon. We had a helluva weekend, and I love you folks!

Let there be rock!
Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:38 pm
Will we get Tornadoes tonight???

I just talked to my wife. We are blessed with a storm shelter, but we lost our swing set and many shingles.

I live in Covington, TN, and I just saw the town on the weather channel in Athens!
Was bummed we didn't cross paths in Athens! Had meant to talk some Zach Bryan once I came across you. Hopefully next year!

Glad your family and home are (mostly) fine!

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

On behalf of those unable to attend, THANK YOU for the setlists and reviews! Bubba - your reviews are the next best thing to being there! That said, Saturday night's setlist spoke for itself and didn't a whole lot of context to understand what went down which was nicely confirmed by Steve.

I applaud the band and fans for spreading transgender awareness. In an interesting (to me anyways) coincidence, this fits with the nostalgic vibe of the latest album, at least for Cooley. Did he wear one from the old days, perhaps matching the album art?

Glad you and family are relatively unscathed, Beav. Bryan was not at HC either? Hopefully we both can make up for lost time next year.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

litdimly wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:41 pm
On behalf of those unable to attend, THANK YOU for the setlists and reviews! Bubba - your reviews are the next best thing to being there! That said, Saturday night's setlist spoke for itself and didn't a whole lot of context to understand what went down which was nicely confirmed by Steve.

I applaud the band and fans for spreading transgender awareness. In an interesting (to me anyways) coincidence, this fits with the nostalgic vibe of the latest album, at least for Cooley. Did he wear one from the old days, perhaps matching the album art?

Glad you and family are relatively unscathed, Beav. Bryan was not at HC either? Hopefully we both can make up for lost time next year.
Homecoming ain't over til lit dimly sings.

And thank you. Hope to see you there next year.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:15 pm
Flea wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:

My humble opinion:
BigDumbHick
Kevin Q
Fraley

I would post some but it's too damn hard from my phone and I can't get my home network to connect. #firstworldproblems
Last edited by Flea on Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now it's dark.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Went Friday & Saturday.
Friday was the best DBT show I've ever seen out of ~50 shows. Relentless playing, palpable energy, remarkable setlist.
Saturday was no slouch either. Nearly 6hrs of DBT just between those two sets. Good lord.
Wednesday ripped, loved em. Mercyland reminded me of how radical David Barbe is. Dude is the coolest. The Camp Amped band Goodbye Violet has a lot of promise for being youngins!
Was wiped out after those two nights, no idea how anyone can do 4 in a row. More power to ya!
Athens was cool to visit. Nuci's Space was a really great facility. Weaver D's was bangin'. Did a little damage at Wuxtry.
All in all a great trip. Hope to come back next year.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

My audio from Sat night...

Drive-By Truckers
2023-04-01
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Microtech Gefell M21 (dina) > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48
transfer: USB > PC > iZotope RX 9 (gain, fades, edits, MBIT+ dither) > CD Wave > TLH (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*24bit/48khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. The Living Bubba
03. Three Dimes Down
04. Hell No, I Ain't Happy
05. Sign O' the Times >
06. Hell No, I Ain't Happy
07. When the Pin Hits the Shell
08. Used To Be a Cop
09. Where the Devil Won't Stay
10. Wednesday
11. Gravity's Gone
12. Buttholeville >
13. State Trooper >
14. Buttholeville
15. Ramon Casiano
16. The Opening Act
17. Shit Shots Count
18. Welcome 2 Club XIII
19. Self Destructive Zones
20. I'm Eighteen
21. Zip City
22. The Driver
23. Slow Ride Argument
24. Santa Fe
25. Sounds Better in the Song
26. 18 Wheels of Love
27. Marry Me *
28. Let There Be Rock *
29. Every Single Storied Flameout *
30. Lookout Mountain *
31. Shut Up and Get On The Plane *
32. Banter
33. Angels And Fuselage *
34. People Who Died *^

* w/ David Barbe on guitar
^ w/ Henry Barbe, guitar tech, Paul McHugh on keys, and entire band Wednesday

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Goodbye Violet
2023-03-31
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Microtech Gefell M21 (dina) > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48
transfer: USB > PC > iZotope RX 9 (gain, fades, edits, MBIT+ dither) > CD Wave > TLH (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*24bit/48khz fileset*

01. Patterson Hood Intro
02. Dandelion
03. Pressed 2 Death
04. Glow
05. Real Love
06. Banter
07. Forgive You
08. Tibetan Pop Stars
09. Stars
10. Daisy
11. Patterson Hood Outro

Camp Amped Band 2023
Opened for Drive-By Truckers

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

RedCelt wrote:
DBT HHC Sat 4/1/2023

Living Bubba
3DD
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
Pin Hits the Shell
Used to be a Cop
Where the Devil Won’t Stay
Wednesday
Gravity’s Gone
Buttholeville / State Trooper
Ramon Casiano
The Opening Act (Sent out to Wednesday)
Shit Shots Count
Club XIII
Self Destructive Zones
I’m Eighteen
Zip City
The Driver
Slow Ride Argument
Santa Fe
Sounds Better in a Song
18 Wheels of Love
Marry Me
Let There Be Rock
Every Single Storied Flameout
Lookout Mountain
Shut Up & Get on the Plane
Angie’s & Fuselage (Cooley harmonica solo)
People Who Died
What a show! What a HC all together!!! Been home now for a few days and slowly recovering from the jet-lag, which for some reason allways hits me worse traveling west to east than the opposite direction. In this case I suspect it may also have to do with late night shenanigans, rock-shows etc... who knows.

Was great getting to hang with all of you again, too many to mention, and for those I missed, or just briefly met, we get to do this again in about a year (hopefully).

Been reliving the whole week by reading through this thread, and BTB's reviews/reports (would essays perhaps be a fitting term?), especially.

This is truly a special thing we got here; DBT & crew, the opening acts, all of you HeAthens, Nuci's, the people of the 40 Watt & Flicker, and just the general vibe of Athens.

Thank you all!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

My audio from Mercyland Fri. Unfortunately the crowd was pretty damn chatty.....

Mercyland
2023-03-31
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

*24bit/48khz fileset*

01. Patterson Hood Intro
02. Minutes and Parts
03. Guessing Time is Gone
04. Waiting for the Garbage Can
05. King Clover
06. John D. White
07. Freight Truck
08. Service Economy
09. Uncle
10. Proceed With Discretion
11. Band Intros
12. Who Hangs Behind Your Eyes
13. Banter
14. Tough Ass Knives
15. Patterson Hood Outro

Opened for Drive-By Truckers

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

My wife and I attended our 11th Homecoming this year and I've got to say it was one of my favorites that we've ever attended, though every single Homecoming has been its own kind of fun. Friday/Saturday were otherworldly and probably fall somewhere in my top 10 DBT shows we've seen, especially Friday night. Wednesday night was a little shorter than I like, but a great show nonetheless. Thursday was almost as good as Fri/Sat. You could clearly see the band was having a grand time, and so was the crowd. The thing I like most about Homecoming is almost every fan in the 40 Watt is either a big fan, a diehard fan, or an over the top obsessive fan...and there's nothing wrong with any of that lol. But you're crowded in there with people who know what's up and that just makes things more special than they already are.

Already looking forward to next year lol
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Jay Gonzalez
2023-03-31
Cine'
Athens, GA

source: DPA 4022 > Sound Devices Mixpre-6 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC > iZotope RX 9 (gain, fades, edits) > CD Wave (track splits) > TLH (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*24bit/48khz fileset*

recorded by Tom Hüster
transferred by Gordon Wilson

01. Intro
02. Welcome Back (Theme from Welcome Back, Kotter)
03. How Long
04. Romeo's Theme
05. Dirty Work
06. Thunder Island *
07. Day After Day
08. Goodbye Girl
09. How Can I Be Sure
10. Heathens
11. Forgetting You is Easy
12. Mayor of Simpleton
13. Waterloo Sunset
14. Since You Been Gone
15. Is She Really Going Out With Him?
16. Thanks for Turning Me On To That Song
17. Cruel To Be Kind

* unfinished

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:37 am
I really hope someone was recording tonight because in addition to the music itself, Patterson was in peak form talking about certain individual songs. His intro to "Boys From Alabama" was as far as I know new and it was a moment to savor. The actual song itself was over the top terrific and I say that while suspecting that I am less enamored of that song than many other heathens.
This "swinging" version of Boys from Alabama, completely new arrangment or have they played it like this before? I liked it a lot!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

How many of these are new versions?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Wednesday
2023-04-01
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

*24bit/48khz fileset*

01. Patterson Hood Intro
02. Cody's Only
03. Toothache
04. Chosen to Deserve
05. How Can You Live If You Can't Love How Can You If You Do
06. Quarry
07. Handsome Man
08. Maura
09. Formula One
10. Bath County
11. Gary's
12. The Burned Down Dairy Queen
13. Got Shocked
14. Fate Is...
15. Bull Believer

opened for Drive-By Truckers

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I have it on good authority that Steven Duesner, the guy who literally wrote the book on DBT, has an article in the current issue of Uncut magazine about Heathens Homecoming 2023. I was not able to find a way to either read (for free) or order the magazine electronically but I did order a physical copy of the mag, which I assume will arrive in 2 to 3 wks. At least it's a good magazine. And there's a cover story about Nick Drake, so it clearly won't be the worst 16 bucks I ever spent (and it includes shipping and handling!).

If anybody has already read or gets their copy sooner than me please tell us all about it here.

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:11 pm
I have it on good authority that Steven Duesner, the guy who literally wrote the book on DBT, has an article in the current issue of Uncut magazine about Heathens Homecoming 2023. I was not able to find a way to either read (for free) or order the magazine electronically but I did order a physical copy of the mag, which I assume will arrive in 2 to 3 wks. At least it's a good magazine. And there's a cover story about Nick Drake, so it clearly won't be the worst 16 bucks I ever spent (and it includes shipping and handling!).

If anybody has already read or gets their copy sooner than me please tell us all about it here.
Ordered mine, too. Worth the few bucks to support an actual print magazine, plus it comes with the CD.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

scotto wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:27 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

Ordered mine, too. Worth the few bucks to support an actual print magazine, plus it comes with the CD.
I spent about an hour and a half talking to Stephen on the way to Atlanta airport; he was kind enough to drop me off. I've looked at the scanned versions posted online but will try to get a physical copy today. Ordered one, but too impatient to wait. (And Uncut used one of my set lists, which is quietly thrilling!)
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

(...and why are bookstores dying? One sign: I walked to my nearest one with magazines, the Barnes and Noble at Union Square...and they are TWO months out of date with Uncuts).

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

glennrwordman wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:24 am
scotto wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:27 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

I spent about an hour and a half talking to Stephen on the way to Atlanta airport; he was kind enough to drop me off. I've looked at the scanned versions posted online but will try to get a physical copy today. Ordered one, but too impatient to wait. (And Uncut used one of my set lists, which is quietly thrilling!)
And here I thought I was a big deal since he follows me on Instagram.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:22 pm
And here I thought I was a big deal since he follows me on Instagram.
I stalked him for a book event for "Where The Devil Don't Stay", and we've become friends; he's just the loveliest guy. If anyone in the equation is a big deal, it's him, and he'd deny it, of course.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Regarding the Uncut piece, if anyone has a Kindle Unlimited membership, the magazine is included in that subscription. I read it on my iPad.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Which month of Uncut.

I’m in a Barnes and Noble now and looking at the May magazine, but it does not appear to include the DBT article.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:09 pm
Which month of Uncut.

I’m in a Barnes and Noble now and looking at the May magazine, but it does not appear to include the DBT article.
July. My copy just arrived a few minutes ago.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Only just caught up with this thread earlier today. Popped straight out to get an Uncut.

Its a really good piece. Sttong quotes from the band and others. Evokes the Homecoming atmosphere well.

Photo of PH in a dress slightly terrifying.

Off topic: The Brian Jones doc that gets a feature on Page 6 is worth seeing.