PH & Cooley Solo Shows, November and December

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

glennrwordman

PH & Cooley Solo Shows, November and December

Post by glennrwordman »

Patterson and Cooley Solo Tours

On Sale Friday, 9.16 @ 10a local time

COOLEY SOLO
11. 15 – Boston, MA - City Winery
11.16 – Huntington, NY – Spotlight
11.17 – Philadelphia, PA - City Winery
12.01 – Austin, TX - Stateside @ the Paramount
12.02 – Woodlands, TX - Dosey Doe
12.03 – Dallas, TX - Sons of Hermann Hall
12.06 – Durango, CO - Animas City Theatre – KDUR show
12.08 - Steamboat Springs, CO - Strings Music Pavilion
12.09 – Denver, CO - Globe Hall
12.10 - Manitou Springs, CO - Lulu's Downstairs
12.17 – Waverly, AL Standard Deluxe: Little House (EARLY + LATE show)

PATTERSON SOLO
11.26 – Tampa, FL - The Attic
11.27 – Tampa, FL - The Attic
11.29 – Boston, MA - City Winery
11.30 – Fairfield, CT - The Warehouse
12.01 – Hartford, CT - Infinity Music Hall Hartford
12.02 – Albany, NY - Lark Hall
12.03 – Homer, NY - Center for the Arts of Homer
12.06 – Brooklyn, NY - Bell House
12.07 – Brooklyn, NY - Bell House
12.09 – Washington, DC - City Winery
12.10 - Rocky Mount, VA - Harvester Performance Center
12.11 – Durham, NC - Motorco Music Hall
12.13 – Atlanta, GA - City Winery
12.14 – Atlanta, GA - City Winery
12.16 – Portland, OR - Doug Fir
12.17 – Portland, OR - Doug Fir
12.18 – Seattle, WA - Chop Suey

I am in for both NYC PH shows, and likely the Cooley Huntington show.

(I am guessing this means no Brooklyn Bowl this year).
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Dose Amigo

Re: PH & Cooley Solo Shows, November and December

Post by Dose Amigo »

I'll be at 12/2 Albany for Patterson~

phungi

Post by phungi »

Will be at the Philly show... there are some good bars about 4-5 blocks away on Walnut Street for a pre-game.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Will be at the Boston shows. Where the fuck is Homer, NY?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

phungi wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:10 am
Will be at the Philly show... there are some good bars about 4-5 blocks away on Walnut Street for a pre-game.
I'll be there for Cooley too and we can pregame right at City Winery. Hopefully will be in for one of Patterson's brooklyn shows too, we'll see.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

In for Philly. Having a T shirt made up > PLEASE DO NOT SING ALONG.
Dave

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Crazy there’s not a single Midwest date for either.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:39 pm
Crazy there’s not a single Midwest date for either.
This is my shocked face
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

kind of actively dislike City Winery but i might be in for Cooley.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Cooley in Austin for sure!

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:10 am
The Homer Arts Center looks like an awesome venue - an old church. I've noticed several other bands who I follow have been, or will be, booked there. It's a little too far for me to make the trip for a solo show - I'd strongly consider traveling if it was the full band - but I plan to attend the PH Albany show, possibly Fairfield as well.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yaz Rock wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:01 am
beantownbubba wrote:
The Homer Arts Center looks like an awesome venue - an old church. I've noticed several other bands who I follow have been, or will be, booked there. It's a little too far for me to make the trip for a solo show - I'd strongly consider traveling if it was the full band - but I plan to attend the PH Albany show, possibly Fairfield as well.
I don't doubt the quality of the venue, I literally had no idea where Homer is. So I looked it up. It seems to be about halfway between Binghamton and Syracuse, just outside Cortland. It is a town of about 3,200 so I hope they have a big drawing area. Lots of colleges in easy driving distance but who knows if that's PH's crowd. Plus the night before in Albany. Here's hoping...

tweedrules

Post by tweedrules »

beantownbubba wrote:
30 minutes south of Syracuse. SUNY Cortland area.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'm going to do my best to catch Patterson at Motorco in Durham. As it so happens, Tift Merritt is doing a rare show the night before so they both fall under the "can't miss" category. The night before, Bonny Light Horseman is also at Motorco. I'd love to see them as well but at this point it is out of the question. I would have to miss too much work to attend or make three 6 hour drives over the course of the weekend. Aside from when Patterson did a short set during the Film: Acoustic series at the Carolina Theatre in Durham in 2015, this will be his first Triangle area performance in nearly 10 years. He last performed a show here in 2013 at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro when touring in support of Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance. I'm not sure when his last Triangle area appearance was prior to that but I'm thinking it dates back to the earlier years of the band. Held on a Tuesday during the dead of winter, the ArtsCenter show was woefully underattended, especially compared to the packed house Cooley played to at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill the following summer. Then again, that was also on a weekend. The relatively small crowd Patterson played to at the ArtsCenter gave it a more intimate, house concert kind of feel.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Any of you good folks headed out to Long Island to hear Cooley tomorrow night?

It's one of those "2.5 hours to the show through NYC traffic, and 45 minutes home afterwards". Worth it.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

glennrwordman wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:52 pm

It's one of those "2.5 hours to the show through NYC traffic, and 45 minutes home afterwards". Worth it.
Definitely worth it. Last night in Boston was prime Cooley. It's not like anyone doesn't know that Cooley's songwriting is special and unique, but in the solo, singer w/ a guitar setting his lyrics shine in a totally different way. And when he digs deep into the emotional side it's goosebumps and shivers time. I didn't keep a set list but he played a LOT of songs, including several audience requests. When he first asked what the audience wanted to hear, the first requests (multiple, from different people) were all for, you guessed it, "Daddy's Cup." Cooley said something like "nope, can't play that one." Probably the most requested song that he didn't play was "Uncle Frank."

He opened with "Every Single Storied Flameout" and I kept hearing the horns in my head :) Highlights included "Primer Coat," "Loaded Gun in the Closet" (!!!), "Carl Perkins' Cadillac," "Women Without Whiskey" and "Love Like This" but there wasn't a down moment in the show. Cooley seemed happy and glad to be there/playing shows. Other songs in no particular order:

Perfect Timing
Gravity's Gone
Zip City (loud audience participation on the last lines)
Shit Shots
Filthy and Fried
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Cottonseed
Guitar Man Upstairs

The encore was Love Like This and Shit Shots

Cooley said that he has interpreted "Loaded Gun" several different ways over the years, but he's come to understand that it's about how mutually assured destruction is a solid basis for a good marriage. Before Primer Coat he said that he originally saw himself as the brother but now he thinks he's the old man sitting by the pool.

The traditional forget/screw up the lyrics moment was during "Carl Perkins Cadillac" and everything felt right w/ the world :) He recovered nicely. There was also an odd moment when he started playing the intro to "Marry Me" but then started singing a different lyric and immediately stopped and said "that's the wrong song." I wish I could remember the line he started with but the moment passed so quickly I lost it immediately. After Marry Me he said something about having too many songs that start on the 5th, which I guess is musician speak.

The crowd was disappointingly small but very enthusiastic and into it.

It presumably doesn't need to be said around these parts, but if you have a chance to see him, don't miss it.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:53 am
glennrwordman wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:52 pm

Definitely worth it. Last night in Boston was prime Cooley. It's not like anyone doesn't know that Cooley's songwriting is special and unique, but in the solo, singer w/ a guitar setting his lyrics shine in a totally different way. And when he digs deep into the emotional side it's goosebumps and shivers time. I didn't keep a set list but he played a LOT of songs, including several audience requests. When he first asked what the audience wanted to hear, the first requests (multiple, from different people) were all for, you guessed it, "Daddy's Cup." Cooley said something like "nope, can't play that one." Probably the most requested song that he didn't play was "Uncle Frank."

He opened with "Every Single Storied Flameout" and I kept hearing the horns in my head :) Highlights included "Primer Coat," "Loaded Gun in the Closet" (!!!), "Carl Perkins' Cadillac," "Women Without Whiskey" and "Love Like This" but there wasn't a down moment in the show. Cooley seemed happy and glad to be there/playing shows. Other songs in no particular order:

Perfect Timing
Gravity's Gone
Zip City (loud audience participation on the last lines)
Shit Shots
Filthy and Fried
Cottonseed
Guitar Man Upstairs

The encore was Love Like This and Shit Shots

Cooley said that he has interpreted "Loaded Gun" several different ways over the years, but he's come to understand that it's about how mutually assured destruction is a solid basis for a good marriage. Before Primer Coat he said that he originally saw himself as the brother but now he thinks he's the old man sitting by the pool.

The traditional forget/screw up the lyrics moment was during "Carl Perkins Cadillac" and everything felt right w/ the world :) He recovered nicely. There was also an odd moment when he started playing the intro to "Marry Me" but then started singing a different lyric and immediately stopped and said "that's the wrong song." I wish I could remember the line he started with but the moment passed so quickly I lost it immediately. After Marry Me he said something about having too many songs that start on the 5th, which I guess is musician speak.

The crowd was disappointingly small but very enthusiastic and into it.

It presumably doesn't need to be said around these parts, but if you have a chance to see him, don't miss it.
Good write up Bubba. Looking fwd to tomorrow night in Philly.

vanark

Post by vanark »

Only three tapers in Boston. At least one of us will get a recording up soon. :D

Fun times last night. BTBubba - I think it was you I told could move up a seat since I wasn't using it at the front of the stage? Sorry I didn't properly introduce myself. If not you, it was a regular that I recognize from photos.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

When they played ESSF at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, I just made the horn noises myself. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

vanark wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:56 pm
Only three tapers in Boston. At least one of us will get a recording up soon. :D

Fun times last night. BTBubba - I think it was you I told could move up a seat since I wasn't using it at the front of the stage? Sorry I didn't properly introduce myself. If not you, it was a regular that I recognize from photos.
Yes that was me. Thanks again but damn I wish we had done the intro thing- it’s been too long. At Patterson?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:04 pm
When they played ESSF at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, I just made the horn noises myself. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I came thiiiis close to doing that but being as I was thiiiiis close to Cooley and can’t even play fake instruments on key I refrained. Y’all are welcome.

vanark

Post by vanark »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:16 pm
vanark wrote:

Yes that was me. Thanks again but damn I wish we had done the intro thing- it’s been too long. At Patterson?
Yes, I expect to be at Patterson. See you there.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

vanark wrote:

Great recording Vanark. Thanks

http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=9828
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:51 am
vanark wrote:

Great recording Vanark. Thanks

http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=9828
+1

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Long Island Show:

(Can someone PLEASE remind me how to post a photo? I did my usual setlist last night, but for the LIFE of me, cannot get it to post here).
Every Single Storied Flameout
Uncle Frank
Perfect Timing
A Ghost to Most
Cartoon Gold
Gravity's Gone
Checkout Time in Vegas
Primer Coat
Filthy and Fried
Pulaski
Women Without Whiskey
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Cottonseed
Marry Me
Made Up English Oceans
Surrender Under Protest
Self Destructive Zones
Birthday Boy
Carl Perkins' Cadillac (request)
---
(encore)
Zip City (request)

In order to "finesse" New York City area traffic, I left Hell's Kitchen around 2:50. The 36-mile drive took a hair over two hours. In comparison, the drive home around 11:30 took precisely 40 minutes. (I MAY have slowed down going into the Midtown Tunnel, but that was about it).

I checked in at the venue, was given the wrong entry location (as I found out later), then went across the street, picking the closest of the four dinner options I had, and of course had a barely cromulent meal. Zipped back across the the venue, found out that the little living room-like space in the back of the main bar WAS where Cooley was playing. So, with "doors" (curtains, more accurately) not set to open for two+ hours, I opened up a book and settled in.

Upstairs in the big room at the Paramount, the 90s bands Live was playing. When I saw the posters, I thought "Oh; this must be a 'Live' tribute band" (the kind of thing you see for tons of middling bands on Long Island), but, no, as it turned out, it was the actual article. A number of their fans were lingering near where I thought originally the entrance to Cooley's gig was, and I, being the shy, retiring type, struck up a conversation, and of course proselytized Cooley and our fellas. One dude jokingly (I think) accused me of flirting with "his girl" as my evening threatened to turn into a DBT song, but mostly lightheartedness prevailed. I said "I am band flirting", and he responded, correctly, "That's the worst kind!"

Shortly thereafter Cooley walked by with his guitar, backpack, bag, and a box of what turned out to be the "Keep Pluckin'" t-shirts, the last piece of art Cooley commissioned from Wes. After an appropriate amount of time, I sauntered into the back room, and said hello. We quickly fell into conversation about Wes, and shared commiserations. (Lord, he is so, so missed and mourned).

After Cooley's sound check, he asked the venue if they had someone to sell the merch (the t-shirt), and they said "Ummm...no". (These were the sound and room guys, Glen and Dave, who were just great). So, I figured I was there early for a reason, so I offered to become the Manager of the Cooley Emporium for the evening. (I know Cooley was appreciative, as it let him just focus on the show). Of course, being a little healthily OCD, I re-org'd the inventory, took an full count, and separated and bundled the shirts by size. I could NOT help myself! :) Glen and Dave got me rubber bands, clips, and finally...the code when the iPad went to sleep and people wanted to buy! They really were terrific.

Right; the show: Cooley said he'd decided to try playing standing up, which made the performance, in my view, more kinetic and active. Not that his "sit-down" shows are not great, intimate and beautifully haunting at times; but in this space, and for reasons that will become clear momentarily, this really worked last night. Opening with a fierce "Every Single Storied Flameout" (more articulated than the Boston version from the previous night, which I just listened to on the way into work; THANK you, Glorious Tapers!) he was very much in the zone all night, made more impressive by the fact that beginning with "Cartoon Gold" or "Ghost..." we started hearing and feeling massive ceiling and wall vibrations from the Live show upstairs. Cooley definitely noticed, and remarked before he started "Marry Me", "It's weird not being the loudest thing in the room". It WAS a bit distracting, but it is testament to the man's abilities that even in the quietest finger-picked songs ("Cottonseed", "Checkout Time...", etc.) the room was riveted.

Highlights were a driving "Gravity's Gone", which engendered a big cheer at the start, and resulted in a wonderful couple dancing, the guy having only one leg (and moving better than basically anyone in the room!) making it all the more impressive and joyful. "Well, that's a first: dancing at a solo show!" Cooley remarked.

"Primer Coat" was haunting and lovely, with Cooley, as he did in Boston, admitting that he wrote it thinking he was the brother ("My sister's marrying in the fall...") before realizing he was the Dad ("The old man's out by the swimming pool...") And for some reason, it never occurred to me that the last line ("He's staring through his own taillights/gathering speed") might be that same old man looking back through his life, as more of it is gone than is to come. I was chest-punched by it last night.

"Cottonseed" was the ONLY time where the vibrations and sound from the other room might've ADDED to the show, sounding like emanations from the underworld under-girding the gangster story above the ground. "Carl Perkins..." was by gently spoken request (Hi, Sam), and he ended with a grand "Zip City".

There was one lyric drop in "Carl..", but hardly worth mentioning given the brilliance of the set. He's in more or less total control of his art right now, exquisitely focused, and delivering extraordinary performances, whether in this setting or with the whole band. There's been a "click" since the shows recommences post-Pandemic "time-out", and it's amazing to hear a performer in his 4th decade of public performances still growing, still mastering his craft.

After the show, as we were settling up the Square accounts of t-shirt sales, we had a chance to actually have a real conversation for the first time. Kids, home, schools and the challenge of fitting in when you're not part of the "dominant culture", the crazy financial costs of touring right now, etc., a normal conversation between two 56-year old dudes, one of whom happens to be one of our great living songwriters, but also, and after previously experiencing some hesitation and awkwardness on my part...just a guy; a very smart, empathetic guy. I was glad to finally "demystify", and have that experience. I lived in Baltimore when the show "Homicide" was filming, and the cast and crew more or less moved to the town full-time. I saw the actors all over town: Melissa Leo, Kyle Secor, Clark Johnson, the great Richard Belzer, and had zero problem approaching them (when appropriate!) and striking up a conversation. I ran into Andre Braugher three times, and could not utter a word. He had that "Thing", that presence that emanated a bit of "Approach with Caution", that, like Cooley, I later found out was not an impediment...to being a normal guy in a normal conversation. Thus last night for me as well.

I helped Cooley out with the remaining t-shirts (we sold quite a few!), and then had a truck blocking his way move so he could exit the parking lot, gathering speed.

A tremendous, special night, on several fronts.

Clams

Post by Clams »

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Clams wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:39 pm
glennrwordman wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:56 pm
cromulent
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/ ... /cromulent
From the Simpsons! A GREAT, utterly useful word!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

glennrwordman wrote:
And for some reason, it never occurred to me that the last line ("He's staring through his own taillights/gathering speed") might be that same old man looking back through his life, as more of it is gone than is to come. I was chest-punched by it last night.
If you spent more time on 3dd you'd have known that. ;)

I didn't think to mention Cooley performing standing up but you're right, it adds a kinetic element. Although i will say that i was distracted more than once as I thought he was about to trip over the guitar wire as he moved around. He never did, of course, he's a pro.

Glad you got "Ghost." The one I was really hoping for was "Loaded Gun" and we both got that one. As I said above, it was a real treat on Tuesday; I'm sure it was similar on Wednesday.

FWIW, whoever was selling the shirts in Boston also had them separated by size :)

While I always figured that Cooley puts his jeans on one leg at a time, i've never had the pleasure of meeting the person behind the force field. Sounds like a great time.

I'll add "band flirting" to "cromulent" as among the finer more subtle pleasures of your reportage.

You didn't mention whether your dinner options included a diner, but imho, the wide availability of diners is one of the very few attractions of spending any time on the Island and it would be a shame if you missed that opportunity.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:05 pm
glennrwordman wrote:
And for some reason, it never occurred to me that the last line ("He's staring through his own taillights/gathering speed") might be that same old man looking back through his life, as more of it is gone than is to come. I was chest-punched by it last night.

If you spent more time on 3dd you'd have known that. ;)
Well, that must be the "some reason"!
beantownbubba wrote:
Glad you got "Ghost." The one I was really hoping for was "Loaded Gun" and we both got that one. As I said above, it was a real treat on Tuesday; I'm sure it was similar on Wednesday.
It's grown on me. The original feels a little "meander-y" to me, but live it has the quality of a yarn.
beantownbubba wrote:
FWIW, whoever was selling the shirts in Boston also had them separated by size :)
Yes, but did they fold every shirt, add an ID card with sizes, and then rubber band each size for easy access? I think we know the answer...
beantownbubba wrote:
While I always figured that Cooley puts his jeans on one leg at a time, i've never had the pleasure of meeting the person behind the force field. Sounds like a great time.
It was. I don't want to make more of it than it was, but like when I worked in my theaters, and a "star" came in, it ALWAYS made a connection easier when I was doing some necessary task as opposed to just "intruding". Something just finally clicked last night.
beantownbubba wrote:
I'll add "band flirting" to "cromulent" as among the finer more subtle pleasures of your reportage.
Very proud of coming up with that in the moment last night. And yeah, baby, you wanna come up to my place and get all "Space City" up in this here?
beantownbubba wrote:
You didn't mention whether your dinner options included a diner, but imho, the wide availability of diners is one of the very few attractions of spending any time on the Island and it would be a shame if you missed that opportunity.
No diners in chic downtown H'ton...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

glennrwordman wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:47 pm
The original feels a little "meander-y" to me
Loaded Gun? Meander-y?! That surprises me. The narrative seems tight to me, w/ nary an extraneous word and each image indelible. Ambiguous, yes, but in the best way. But we each hear what we hear and interpret what we hear in our own ways. Or as my mother used to say, "that's what makes horseracing."