Big Weekend - Asbury Park and Philadelphia

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Big Weekend - Asbury Park and Philadelphia

Post by Clams »

Looking fwd to a Big Weekend - Friday at the ageless Stone Pony in AP and Saturday at the brand spankin new Brooklyn Bowl Philly (will be my first time there).

Pregame for the Philly show will be at Johnny Brenda's in Fishtown which is just a few easily walkable blocks from the venue.

See you at the rock show(s).

If you don't run you rust

Zip Up to Michigan

Re: Big Weekend - Asbury Park and Philadelphia

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Better get a Bruuuuuce cut in Asbury!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:34 pm
Goes without saying right?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:07 am
The odds of Patterson Hood neglecting a rock history connection like that are approximately zero.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:02 am
Clams wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:07 am
The odds of Patterson Hood neglecting a rock history connection like that are approximately zero.

He should drop the obvious (Adam Raised A Cain) and go for something else. Cadillac Ranch would be cool. Or maybe Cooley taking vox for "I'm On Fire".
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Fun day and night in Asbury Park yesterday. Just driving into AP is a blast, from the road signs for Highway 9 and Freehold to the boardwalk and street signs for Kingsley Ave when you roll into town. It's like every Springsteen song unfolding before your eyes. It was my first time inside the Stone Pony since the 90s and it didn't disappoint. Tiny inside with guitars on the walls and a little room with pool tables off to the side. Not sure if it was sold out but if not it seemed pretty close. The show was outstanding. Filthy & Fried to open and then 3 or 4 new songs were played early on and they're really starting to sound great. Shake & Pine, The Driver and the new Cooley song has a fantastic coda jam with the horns. Bruce was covered of course (Adam Raised a Cain) and we got a blistering People Who Died to close out the night. But the highlight was fellow heathen Dave Arbiter getting down on his knee right along the rail and proposing to his girlfriend Lorri during Marry Me. A beautiful moment that brought smiles to everyone who saw it, band and crowd alike. Had a long drive back to Philly but that was OK - it gave me a reason to stay 100% sober and, while that doesn't happen often when I see DBT, that's actually a pretty good way to take in the evening. Bring on round 2 tonight!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:31 pm
But the highlight was fellow heathen Dave Arbiter getting down on his knee right along the rail and proposing to his girlfriend Lorri during Marry Me. A beautiful moment that brought smiles to everyone who saw it, band and crowd alike
That is ALSUM! Congrats and hugs to Dave and Lori. Wish I had been there.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Lydia joined the Truckers to cover Tina Turner What's love got to do with it in Philly tonight and it was really good

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Thank you to Clams and Bubba and others for posting show highlights here for those of us in witness protection or otherwise avoiding Facebook.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

litdimly wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:22 am
Thank you to Clams and Bubba and others for posting show highlights here for those of us in witness protection or otherwise avoiding Facebook.
x2
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Clams

Post by Clams »

Courtesy of Uncle Rickey here's the Philly setlist:
Slow Ride Argument
Santa Fe
Primer Coat
Heathens
Sounds Better in the Song
The Driver
Every Single Storied Flameout*
The Company I Keep
Shit Shots Count
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
Gravity’s Gone
What’s Love Got to Do With It**
Tornadoes
Women Without Whiskey
The Deeper In
Plastic Flowers on the Highway
Three Dimes Down
Adam Raised a Cain
Marry Me
Welcome 2 Club XIII
Made Up English Oceans
Lookout Mountain
Zip City
Grand Canyon
Nothing like a Saturday night hometown rock show! Saturday night's Philly show had a different vibe from Friday's Asbury Park show. The Stone pony show seemed looser and more in your face probably owing to the smallness of the club and the dive bar atmosphere, whereas the Philly show had more of a big-city Saturday night rock show vibe in the new Brooklyn Bowl which IMO is a really impressive venue. The Brooklyn Bowl sound was amazing - the Wall of Sound created when the Truckers had all three guitars going was really something to behold. I though the early run of Santa Fe-Primer Coat-Heathens-Sounds Better in the Song was just mesmerizing. All four were chill and rocking at the same time. Also great was the Deeper In/Plastic Flowers combo. I still marvel at how Patterson was somehow able to craft an actual love song about incest. Other highlights included the horns on Cooley's new song and a great version of Grand Canyon, which seems like it's been sped up from previous slower versions. But the main highlight had to be Lydia joining DBT for the unexpected (to say the least) rendition of Tina Turner's What's Love Got to Do With It. The music was a good combo of DBT rock and 80's funk but I credit the band for staying back and letting Lydia have the song - and she really sang the shit out of it. Speaking of Lydia, I thought her Saturday performance was much better than the previous night. She was really belting out the songs whereas in hindsight it seems like she was holding back a bit in Asbury Park. All in all a great weekend of Philly and New Jersey rock and roll with family, friends and the truckers.