Nashville, 4/15-4/16

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sterling Bigmouth

Nashville, 4/15-4/16

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Night 1 setlist:
Billy Ringo
Slow Ride Argument
Santa Fe
3DD
Company I Keep
Women Without Whiskey
Welcome to Club XIII
Marry Me
Boys from Alabama
Gravity’s Gone
Lookout Mountain
Every Single Storied Flameout
Runaway Train (w/ Lilly Hiatt)
Sounds Better in the Song
Tornadoes
Ghost to Most
Goodes Field Road
English oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
One of these Days
The Driver
Shit Shots Count
Buttholeville/State Trooper
Shut Your Mouth & Get Your Ass on the Plane
Angels and Fuselage

More thoughts to come in the AM!
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: Nashville, 4/15-4/16

Beautiful night in Music City for a rock show (besides the downpour that came after the show, but that’s beside the point)! Lydia Loveless kicked things off, and while her set was a subdued, solo affair, she has some wonderful songs and is always one of my favorite DBT openers. DBT took the stage at ~9:15 PM, and played almost 2.5 hours of pure, unadulterated rawk. Some thoughts:

- I passed Cooley on the sidewalk an hour before the show and knew it was a good omen! I didn’t get the chance to say anything, but knew we were in for something awesome.
- The new songs have me extremely excited for the new record. Billy Ringo is one of Patterson’s better recent offerings, and The Driver is already an instant favorite.
- DBT has one of the hardest working crews in the biz. Their horns on Every Single Storied Flameout really make the song.
- It’s cliche to call Jay the utility infielder of the band at this point, but the way he makes everything he does look effortless was impressive tonight.
- Lilly Hiatt joined the band on Runaway Train, and was as much of a joy as ever.
- On a slight downer note, I hope the band doesn’t play the Brooklyn Bowl again. It’s an extremely nice new venue, but in the heart of gentrified north Nashville, and the frat boy continent is LARGE. This became evident when some asshole threw a beer on stage during Goodes Field Road. Luckily Patterson tore into him and I think he was dealt with.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:15 am
Beautiful night in Music City for a rock show (besides the downpour that came after the show, but that’s beside the point)! Lydia Loveless kicked things off, and while her set was a subdued, solo affair, she has some wonderful songs and is always one of my favorite DBT openers. DBT took the stage at ~9:15 PM, and played almost 2.5 hours of pure, unadulterated rawk. Some thoughts:

- I passed Cooley on the sidewalk an hour before the show and knew it was a good omen! I didn’t get the chance to say anything, but knew we were in for something awesome.
- The new songs have me extremely excited for the new record. Billy Ringo is one of Patterson’s better recent offerings, and The Driver is already an instant favorite.
- DBT has one of the hardest working crews in the biz. Their horns on Every Single Storied Flameout really make the song.
- It’s cliche to call Jay the utility infielder of the band at this point, but the way he makes everything he does look effortless was impressive tonight.
- Lilly Hiatt joined the band on Runaway Train, and was as much of a joy as ever.
- On a slight downer note, I hope the band doesn’t play the Brooklyn Bowl again. It’s an extremely nice new venue, but in the heart of gentrified north Nashville, and the frat boy continent is LARGE. This became evident when some asshole threw a beer on stage during Goodes Field Road. Luckily Patterson tore into him and I think he was dealt with.
Nashville is an embarrassing place nowadays. When the country music industry started to gain popularity 80-ish years ago a lot of Nashville natives weren't very welcoming because they feared the city would turn into a debaucherous shit show. They were right.

Sterling Bigmouth

You’re not kidding. It’s funny because growing up downtown Nashville was a great place if you wanted to get mugged, stabbed, etc., but ~10-15 years ago it actually began to improve as more businesses moved in. Unfortunately, that led to BIG business moving in and now what we’ve got is essentially a cheap, plastic version of what you see in the tourism ads.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:48 am
You’re not kidding. It’s funny because growing up downtown Nashville was a great place if you wanted to get mugged, stabbed, etc., but ~10-15 years ago it actually began to improve as more businesses moved in. Unfortunately, that led to BIG business moving in and now what we’ve got is essentially a cheap, plastic version of what you see in the tourism ads.
I think I"ve posted this before but I lived there from 2012-2014. It was a lot of fun but I did see what was happening and I got my country ass back to west Tennessee. I still go there for a show occasionally and I get the hell in and out as fast as I can.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

There is a lot about Nashville I like, downtown is not it. After my transplant we lived in an apartment in Sobro for two months. It truly was so-bro. It was like Bourbon Street with cowboy hats and none of the old world charm. We really liked the Frist Art Museum, though.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Sterling Bigmouth

Night 2

Birthday Boy
Righteous Path
Zip City
Used to be a Cop
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
The Deeper In
Plastic Flowers on the Highway
English Oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
One of these Days
Welcome to Club XIII
Surrender Under Protest
KKK Took My Baby Away
Sink Hole
Maria’s Awful Disclosures
The Driver
Slow Ride Argument
Hell No I Ain’t Happy
Gravity’s Gone
Let there be Rock
Every Single Storied Flameout
World of Hurt
Shut Your Mouth and Get Your Ass on the Plane
Angels & Fuselage

- Twice lately DBT has played Johnny Paycheck at some point before they come out. I have to say I’m a big fan
- There are 1000 east Nashville hipsters whose fashion inspiration is unknowingly Matt Patton

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Looks like a phenomenal show.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

Clams

Post by Clams »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:15 am
The upcoming Philly show is at the Brooklyn Bowl Philly which is also a brand new venue. Haven't been there yet.
If you don't run you rust

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

It seems that the expanding Brooklyn Bowl brand is essentially gentrification. I saw people in the Billy Strings community saying their experience at the newly opened Vegas version also sucked.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Aside from that one asshat on night 1 I thought the crowd was fine both nights. I have had many good experiences at the original in Brooklyn and look forward to checking out the one in Philly on 4/30.

As for where DBT will play in Nashville from now on, the Cannery Ballroom is closing so it looks like the Ryman and the Brooklyn Bowl are the only likely venues. While the Ryman is a special venue, I would rather DBT play there during Dirt Underneath tours. I don’t think it is a good place for a rock show.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Last I heard the Cannery plans on relocating by next spring. Who knows what capacity venue, though

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Last I heard the Cannery plans on relocating by next spring. Who knows what capacity venue, though

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:27 pm
Thanks for the update TC. I was not aware of that.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:52 pm
It seems that the expanding Brooklyn Bowl brand is essentially gentrification.
All one needs to know is that the original is in Williamsburg. Gentrification is absolutely their brand. But I should add that simply as a venue, I like the original (the only one I've been to). Gentrification is of course a far bigger issue. Having just spent a long weekend w/ what seemed like half the population of Brooklyn "creatives" under 35, I can say that this is a most confusing, frustrating issue, but bottom line, I miss "my" Brooklyn.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:02 am
brettac1 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:52 pm
It seems that the expanding Brooklyn Bowl brand is essentially gentrification.
All one needs to know is that the original is in Williamsburg. Gentrification is absolutely their brand. But I should add that simply as a venue, I like the original (the only one I've been to). Gentrification is of course a far bigger issue. Having just spent a long weekend w/ what seemed like half the population of Brooklyn "creatives" under 35, I can say that this is a most confusing, frustrating issue, but bottom line, I miss "my" Brooklyn.
My cousin, Charley Ryan, is the co-owner and co-founder of the Williamsburg location. I assume he’s involved with the brand in general as well but I don’t know that for sure. It’s probably been twenty five years since I’ve seen him but I have other cousins that stay in touch with him.