Welcome to Club XIII

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

305 Engine

Welcome to Club XIII

Post by 305 Engine »

I can't see a thread so assume you're all still in bed that side of the pond.

Bandcamp just sent me a notification. Welcome to Club XIII available for preorder, out June 3rd.

The Driver
Maria's Awful Disclosure
Shake and Pine
We will never wake you up in the morning
Welcome 2 Club XIII
Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent
Every Single Storied Flameout
Billy Ringo in the Dark
Wilder Days

KcGhostToMost

Re: New album

Post by KcGhostToMost »

What is the breakdown Cooley vs Hood songs on this one? I've heard a few of the songs but not many.
Last edited by KcGhostToMost on Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Excited for a new album but I am not feeling the single Welcome to Club XIII. Kinda boring and the same sing song melody. Hopeful for the rest.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Over the years, I have trained myself to not form expectations for an album based on seeing new songs live. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on the album and seeing what I think. It’s a new Truckers album so obviously I’m generally optimistic.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

phungi

Welcome to Club XIII

Post by phungi »

It appears the new album will be titled Welcome to Club XIII, and will be out in early June.

Anyone have a track listing? From the recent shows in Athens, it appears these songs are all on the album, but only total 8 songs:

Billy Ringo in the Dark
The Driver
Every Single Storied Flame Out
Wilder Days
We Will Never Wake You In The Morning
Shake and Pine
Welcome to Club XIII
Maria’s Awful Disclosure
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

phungi

Re: Welcome to Club XIII

Post by phungi »

nm, just saw the thread on the new album
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Iowan

New album

Post by Iowan »

lajakesdad wrote:Excited for a new album but I am not feeling the single Welcome to Club XIII. Kinda boring and the same sing song melody. Hopeful for the rest.
That was my thought on the first listen. Liked it quite a bit after a few more spins.

If nothing, it’s at least pretty catchy and light hearted. I didn’t feel worse after listening to it. It’s been a minute since new DBT felt uplifting.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:09 pm
lajakesdad wrote:Excited for a new album but I am not feeling the single Welcome to Club XIII. Kinda boring and the same sing song melody. Hopeful for the rest.
That was my thought on the first listen. Liked it quite a bit after a few more spins.

If nothing, it’s at least pretty catchy and light hearted. I didn’t feel worse after listening to it. It’s been a minute since new DBT felt uplifting.
This is more or less where I'm at. I would add that lyrically the song doesn't break any new ground but is not intended to. It fits right into the picture DBT has painted from the very beginning of their particular slice of Alabama life and geography. Everything from "Buttholeville" to being pulled over in Rogersville, to zipping up to TN and back down to AL, to the music in the HS parking lot, etc etc.

And the sung lyric "welcome to club xiii" is much more of an earworm than it has any right to be.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Does anyone else find similarities between the The New Ok chorus and Welcome to Club xiii in sound? For some reason in my mind right now they are the same thing lol. I like the song and it is a good change for them after the previous three albums, which I loved all three. Their strength is the southern storytelling no doubt. Hopefully the rest follows a solid storytelling mode.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

While that other one may have popped up first, I like the title of your thread MUCH better.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:09 pm

This is more or less where I'm at. I would add that lyrically the song doesn't break any new ground but is not intended to. It fits right into the picture DBT has painted from the very beginning of their particular slice of Alabama life and geography. Everything from "Buttholeville" to being pulled over in Rogersville, to zipping up to TN and back down to AL, to the music in the HS parking lot, etc etc.

And the sung lyric "welcome to club xiii" is much more of an earworm than it has any right to be.
I think that’s another thing I liked about it. I loved when they were painting pictures of their world

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:27 pm
While that other one may have popped up first, I like the title of your thread MUCH better.
Me too.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Margo Price is apparently on the album. According to her twitter.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I’m glad this is a safe space where I feel it is OK to say I’m not feeling the title cut.

Looking forward to the record.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:52 pm
I agree. I've found myself humming it quite a bit since hearing it at Homecoming, but if I hadn't seen it performed live with the usual dollop of rock show gusto, I'm not sure how excited I'd be by it. As it stands, I like it and am looking forward to the record.
I'm also glad to see a normal plain ol' black vinyl preorder instead of the usual limited edition colored vinyl with hardbound photo book editions that seem to be the norm. (Although I won't be surprised to see something like that down the road.)

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

The song Club XIII never really grabbed me back when they first started playing it on stage. I like the story and the inspiration behind the song more than I like the actual song (though the earworm aspect is likely part of the point). It did grow on me at HC.

I was hoping the early release track would be The Driver (but didn't expect it would be). I figure it will be a little more dialed back on the record, but that song is an absolute monster on stage. We got it three nights, and I've have been cool with getting it all four.

I like all the other songs that I've heard from the album and expect this will be another great DBT record.
Let the outside air in

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

scotto wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:51 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:52 pm
I agree. I've found myself humming it quite a bit since hearing it at Homecoming, but if I hadn't seen it performed live with the usual dollop of rock show gusto, I'm not sure how excited I'd be by it. As it stands, I like it and am looking forward to the record.
I'm also glad to see a normal plain ol' black vinyl preorder instead of the usual limited edition colored vinyl with hardbound photo book editions that seem to be the norm. (Although I won't be surprised to see something like that down the road.)
I thought the song got over really well with the crowd. It’s not typically my favorite kind of song but it’s pretty catchy.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I really like the single! Am I really in the minority here? That Radio Tokyo line is gold. And I'm also happy that Billy Ringo made the cut. I think that's one of Patterson's best in years. Excited for this.

Also--not to start a big thing--but I'm happy to read that this will be a "less political" album than the last few; I'm not sure I'm ready for Cooley songs about Ukraine. :lol:

Is it weird there is no bundle option for the pre-order? I usually get both the LP and CD, and I like when they offer package deals. But yeah, I too am fine with there being no color variants on the vinyl.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Also, how is it that, 14 posts in, no one has mentioned yet that we're back to Wes artwork??!

Maybe I'm superstitious, but I think that bodes well for the record. :D

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jimmyjack wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:34 am
Also, how is it that, 14 posts in, no one has mentioned yet that we're back to Wes artwork??!

Maybe I'm superstitious, but I think that bodes well for the record. :D
We had Wes on The New OK as well

The single is fine (I've only listened once). I've learned that my personal tastes don' align with the band when it comes to singles, as I think they've chosen some of the weaker songs as their first singles, so I'm not judging the album based on this song
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:04 am
We had Wes on The New OK as well
That's right! I forget that was between AB and The Unraveling, not before.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

All in unison now "Everybody Needs a Fuck"
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jimmyjack! Nice to see ya.

BTW, the "less political" nature of the album has been clear for some time and when Patterson first described it that way (perhaps in an interview, possibly in one of his house concerts?) it generated virtually no controversy. My sense of the pulse (totally unscientific) is that fans are ready for something else, whether as a "breather" or as a new/old direction for the band.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:46 am
All in unison now "Everybody Needs a Fuck"
Word.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

KcGhostToMost wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:03 am
What is the breakdown Cooley vs Hood songs on this one? I've heard a few of the songs but not many.
Tracks 2 and 7 are Cooley. The rest are Hood.

Also, just leaving this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Monk
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:52 am

BTW, the "less political" nature of the album has been clear for some time and when Patterson first described it that way (perhaps in an interview, possibly in one of his house concerts?) it generated virtually no controversy. My sense of the pulse (totally unscientific) is that fans are ready for something else, whether as a "breather" or as a new/old direction for the band.
I’m personally in the “breather” camp, at least as far as overtly political songs go (i.e. something mentioning Trump or a specific current event directly). However, I will take as many songs about class struggle as I can get.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:15 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:52 am

I’m personally in the “breather” camp, at least as far as overtly political songs go (i.e. something mentioning Trump or a specific current event directly). However, I will take as many songs about class struggle as I can get.
A very nuanced, and IMHO the correct, way to think about the Truckers' catalog and probable direction.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:13 pm
KcGhostToMost wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:03 am
Tracks 2 and 7 are Cooley. The rest are Hood.

Also, just leaving this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Monk
Thank you!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Never in my wildest dreams would I ever imagine that NC band Sidewinder would ever receive a shout out in a song. However, if it's going to happen, I can think of no more appropriate place for them to appear than in one by Drive-By Truckers. Yet another page ripped from my youth showing up in a Truckers song. They were all over the place back in the 80's, if not sometimes headlining at one of the local clubs I frequented but also appearing at festivals, and as an opening act. They're often referred to as a cover band but they did have one album of mostly original material, Fade to Black that was released in 1985. They also made it to the finals on Star Search but were beat out by Sawyer Brown. For that bid for stardom, they largely abandoned their signature hard rock/metal sound for a more pop one. Though it was not the lineup Patterson refers to in "Welcome 2 Club XIII," at one time, Sidewinder counted among their members Audley Freed and Robert Kearns who have been members (together and individually) of Cry of Love, the Black Crowes, the Bottle Rockets, Trigger Hippy, Peter Frampton's band, and the Chicks. Last I checked, they were both members of Sheryl Crow's touring band. As mentioned elsewhere on the board, at one time either the band/or members of their legal team came after the Sidewinders from Arizona leading to a couple years of legal entanglements that stopped them in their tracks. They re-emerged as Sand Rubies but never regained their momentum. In recent years they've done a few Sidewinders reunion shows.

I also welcome the change in direction of the new album. I have nothing whatsoever against the Truckers' views and tend to agree with them nearly 100% of the time but considering the harsh environment surrounding the previous Presidency (if it can be called that) was already negatively impacting my emotional state, most of The Unraveling only served as a grim reminder. From what I remember reading, because of that, they even wondered if they should put it out into the world.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:15 pm
However, I will take as many songs about class struggle as I can get.
Also words to live by, but in an entirely different thread.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs