Welcome to Club XIII

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Welcome to Club XIII

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:42 pm
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:50 pm
I have noticed that Patterson has carefully avoided saying the song was written about him in various interviews. In one he said it was written about a specific person and then shortly after he realized it could also apply to another person.
Thanks. I was not aware that there was any question or ambiguity about this.
Pretty sure it's dedicated to him in the liner notes
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Mike Patton was (is?) the lead singer of Faith No More. I wonder if that’s why?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:59 am
Mike Patton was (is?) the lead singer of Faith No More. I wonder if that’s why?
That was my first assumption when I read it.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:18 am

Special to mundane mayhem: The capitalization (or lack thereof) of the song title continues to be obscure to many.
I see what you did there.
beantownbubba wrote:

Substantively and surprisingly, I don't get the statement that Goode's Field Road is about illegally buying beer and hosting keggers to make money. My best guess is that PH was talking about the State Line Gang's control over the clubs and liquor sales in TN while talking about his experiences buying beer as an underage teen and something got lost in translation but if this was meant literally I don't get it.
I had the same reaction to this part. Nothing explicitly mentioned in the article connects to "Goode's Field Road" as I understand the song, but it is more than plausible that Patterson was holding forth on regional history in a more comprehensive way that got edited down.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:48 am
beantownbubba wrote:

Special to mundane mayhem: The capitalization (or lack thereof) of the song title continues to be obscure to many.
I see what you did there.
beantownbubba wrote:

Substantively and surprisingly, I don't get the statement that Goode's Field Road is about illegally buying beer and hosting keggers to make money. My best guess is that PH was talking about the State Line Gang's control over the clubs and liquor sales in TN while talking about his experiences buying beer as an underage teen and something got lost in translation but if this was meant literally I don't get it.
I had the same reaction to this part. Nothing explicitly mentioned in the article connects to "Goode's Field Road" as I understand the song, but it is more than plausible that Patterson was holding forth on regional history in a more comprehensive way that got edited down.
I don't think the state line group from the Buford Pusser saga has anything to do with his buying beer as a teenager. I believe that state line stuff had cooled off by the time PH was a teenager. I'm sure he bought his beer in Wayne or Hardin county Tennessee and I'd bet the stores there were just happy to be making money off Alabama drinkers. I seriously doubt they were "connected".
I believe someone on the DBT facebook group surmised Goode's Field Road was the party place after the booze had been purchased in Tennessee.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:02 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:42 pm
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:50 pm
I have noticed that Patterson has carefully avoided saying the song was written about him in various interviews. In one he said it was written about a specific person and then shortly after he realized it could also apply to another person.
Thanks. I was not aware that there was any question or ambiguity about this.
Pretty sure it's dedicated to him in the liner notes
He’s listed in the in memoriam section, not in the so g credits. The dates give it away but I can see how it gets missed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Matt's bass playing on The Driver is freaking sublime....
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Clams

Post by Clams »

https://gardenandgun.com/video/back-por ... -truckers/

Shake and Pine
The Driver
We Will Never Wake You Up

Not sure what that electronic thing Jay's playing in Shake & Pine is.
If you don't run you rust

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

So I clicked on the link before I read the full post and I'm watching and enjoying and after the first song, Patterson starts saying the words to introduce "The Driver" and I'm thinking I need more coffee, they're not going to perform "The Driver" acoustic but they did and it was fantastic!

The guitar work by both gentlemen - independent and complementary in all the right spaces and spaces between. Words are failing me (as usual) but check it out.

I think Jay has one of these maybe? https://teenage.engineering/store/op-1/

Thanks for posting this here or I would have missed it.