The Fourth Night of My Thinking

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

The Fourth Night of My Thinking

Post by beantownbubba »

The extra night this year seemed very popular with everyone I spoke to. Not only was it more live music for a crowd eager to end the pandemic mandated drought, it also extended the party by another day, giving folks more time to see each other.

I don't know what the band or its management is thinking and nobody has or will ask me but if I had a vote it would be to make the 4th night a permanent feature. If that happens, I suggest that the Wednesday show be used for something more than "just a fourth concert." I thought this would be a good place to offer suggestions for what to do with the extra time. I'm posting a few below, some of which have been done before one way or another, and welcome your thoughts as well.

A show of just rarities (no doubt we'd argue about what qualifies as a rarity but I think that's a manageable concern).
An all acoustic show (which would also present the opportunity to play some of those rarities)
Separate solo sets from Patterson, Cooley and Jay
An all request show
An all covers show, possibly in an all request format
A featured guest star who would play some of their own music and some of the Truckers' w/ DBT
SRO front to back
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Re: The Fourth Night of My Thinking

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:23 am
The extra night this year seemed very popular with everyone I spoke to. Not only was it more live music for a crowd eager to end the pandemic mandated drought, it also extended the party by another day, giving folks more time to see each other.

I don't know what the band or its management is thinking and nobody has or will ask me but if I had a vote it would be to make the 4th night a permanent feature. If that happens, I suggest that the Wednesday show be used for something more than "just a fourth concert." I thought this would be a good place to offer suggestions for what to do with the extra time. I'm posting a few below, some of which have been done before one way or another, and welcome your thoughts as well.

A show of just rarities (no doubt we'd argue about what qualifies as a rarity but I think that's a manageable concern).
An all acoustic show (which would also present the opportunity to play some of those rarities)
Separate solo sets from Patterson, Cooley and Jay
An all request show
An all covers show, possibly in an all request format
A featured guest star who would play some of their own music and some of the Truckers' w/ DBT
SRO front to back
SRO with special guest Neil Young! I'd pay good money to see that.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:30 am
SRO with special guest Neil Young! I'd pay good money to see that.
Get in line, brother.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Bubba: Agreed on all counts. Have long thought an all-SRO show would be perfect. (And why did they drop "Road Cases" from the rotation?) Would also like to see them stick to the four-night format. I've heard many grumbles about the later start times, but I don't expect the rock 'n' roll world to cater to our aging back and leg muscles, so I'm fine with it. I do prefer the springtime Homecoming and would gladly trade that for four nights of later start times. Also agree about fanbase demographics and the noticeably more sane crowd. Maybe a springtime slot would take care of that, too, as I did notice many parents and students with graduation gowns around town.
Maybe the Wednesday slot can be the All-Horsepussy Showcase.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:23 am
SRO front to back
One of these days, brother.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I very much dig HC being a little more outside of cold and flu season like it was this year. And if that was partially responsible for the lower bro factor in attendance, I'm all for it. Nicest crowd by far I've seen in my 7 trips to HC.

For the extra night if it continues:

Love the idea of a rarities show.

Would dig a night of "Dimmer Twins and Friends" on the first night where we get some acoustic stuff and they could bring other guests on stage during that time. Though I do worry about the chatter factor with an acoustic show at the 40 Watt.

I like the request show idea. Maybe it could be tied to a raffle for Nuci's ahead of time where X number of winners get to pick a song or two (or some kind of ranked choice list of a few songs) and the band can build setlist from that list. Just spitballing here and haven't thought out logistics.

I don't like the all covers idea. The few they currently play are great, but I'd rather see them play their own songs than do a whole night of covers.

Would love to hear SRO front to back. Or even maybe have a night where they focus on a handful of albums---not necessarily front to back.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, I agree w/ scotto and schlanky that the spring dates worked out great and I would love for that to continue. (Note to planners: please keep spring religious holidays in mind when planning: while holding a seder at the 40 Watt would surely be interesting in many ways the logistics would be overwhelming). And yes, if the spring dates are directly connected to the lower bro turnout due to the UGA calendar that's another very good reason to continue w/ this schedule.

I've never understood the band and its show starting times (and the related matter of the length of between set breaks). The band's gonna do what the band's gonna do and I guess the only choices are to grin and bear it or arrive really, really late fresh from a nap (or not come at all, I suppose, but I'm going to pretend I didn't even say that).

Schlanky, there was an all request show w/ a Nuci's contribution tie-in at an early homecoming (at least it was before my time). Legend has it that Cooley was not pleased because the overwhelming number of requests were for non-rockers (which makes sense because dedicated fans are likely to ask for less played songs and the slower or acoustic numbers don't often make it into the set as regulars). I imagine the format could be tweaked in a way that would address this concern, or I suppose Cooley can make the sacrifice for Nuci's. All this chat along these lines has made me pine for "Space City" big time.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I've heard the stories about the original request show. I think maybe doing the raffle stuff ahead of time and letting the band assemble X number of winner requests into the show may alleviate the string of non-rockers. (still just spitballing though)

For start times etc since it's come up: I would prefer that they just start a little earlier and play same amount of time and stop earlier. That gives more time for hanging out after the show or getting to bed earlier, or grabbing a snack after the show etc.
Let the outside air in

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

schlanky wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:53 pm
For start times etc since it's come up: I would prefer that they just start a little earlier and play same amount of time and stop earlier. That gives more time for hanging out after the show or getting to bed earlier, or grabbing a snack after the show etc.
Preach.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:05 pm
schlanky wrote:
Preach.
...and 3 or 4 days passes for all shows? Please?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:05 pm
schlanky wrote:
Preach.
On a related note, I'm very happy that they stopped the encore break a while ago and just play on through. And Patterson gives the nice cue with the talk about "do you want to go home now or rock a little longer" so that you know this is the last stretch and you sing a little louder and soak it all in because you know you only have a few songs left.
Let the outside air in

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Until/unless the weekend moves to either mid-March or May-August, I'll never get to go
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

It was colder at night than some of the Winter Homecomings I have attended. I hope Homecoming 2023 is back in January. It is a nice break from the Northern Winter and we would get HHC twice inside of 10 months.

I thought DBT might play longer on Saturday since there was only 1 opening act but the opener didn’t start until 90 minutes after doors. I was not a fan of that.

If the shows start earlier it will be impossible to have the 5 pm events and still have time for dinner before the shows.

Folks who know about such things have said that having Homecoming in Winter is a huge boon for the 40 Watt Club and helps them get through their slowest season.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:
I would prefer that they just start a little earlier and play same amount of time and stop earlier.
I agree and I think it's a good point about playing the same amount of time. On occasion there has been talk/requests about starting earlier at venues w/ curfews and that's about wanting the band to play longer. This is not that.
pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:35 pm
...and 3 or 4 days passes for all shows? Please?
I agree with you but I have some concern that it runs into the overall demand for tickets and access to those tickets problem. I'm talking more about when tickets go on sale than at the time of the shows. But as long as I can get one, hell yeah, passes would be a lot more convenient :)
Bill in CT wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:47 am
It was colder at night than some of the Winter Homecomings I have attended.
It was also an absolutely perfect 72 and sunny w/ clear skies on Sunday and beautiful on I think Thursday. And there wasn't an ice storm in sight. Betting on the weather in this era is no sure thing but I'd lean towards April rather than January as the better bet for better weather.
Bill in CT wrote:
If the shows start earlier it will be impossible to have the 5 pm events and still have time for dinner before the shows.
Maybe but it depends on what other assumptions one makes. For example, doors could be at 8, opening act at 9, DBT on at 10, show over before 12:30 and even a 3 hour extravaganza, should the band be so moved, would still be over by 1.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:
Folks who know about such things have said that having Homecoming in Winter is a huge boon for the 40 Watt Club and helps them get through their slowest season.
Missed this on my first read of your post. Good point.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

schlanky wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:07 pm
I very much dig HC being a little more outside of cold and flu season like it was this year. And if that was partially responsible for the lower bro factor in attendance, I'm all for it. Nicest crowd by far I've seen in my 7 trips to HC.

For the extra night if it continues:

Love the idea of a rarities show.

Would dig a night of "Dimmer Twins and Friends" on the first night where we get some acoustic stuff and they could bring other guests on stage during that time. Though I do worry about the chatter factor with an acoustic show at the 40 Watt.

I like the request show idea. Maybe it could be tied to a raffle for Nuci's ahead of time where X number of winners get to pick a song or two (or some kind of ranked choice list of a few songs) and the band can build setlist from that list. Just spitballing here and haven't thought out logistics.

I don't like the all covers idea. The few they currently play are great, but I'd rather see them play their own songs than do a whole night of covers.

Would love to hear SRO front to back. Or even maybe have a night where they focus on a handful of albums---not necessarily front to back.
The original request show was popular with just about everyone, except…Cooley. I can’t see that fourteen years gone by will have made his feelings toward it MORE warm and fuzzy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

As someone who is sober, the idea of a HC timed with UGA spring break is music to my ears. It was a noticeably better atmosphere this year for me, and I know I’m not the only person who felt that way.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I hope Homecoming does not coincide with The Masters in 2023. It had an adverse effect on lodging and rental car pricing and availability.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:49 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
Missed this on my first read of your post. Good point.
Yeah that makes perfect sense. My wife's bookshop makes about 90 percent of its bank from Halloween to New Years and is painfully lean from about New Years to Easter. But if all parties are in agreement I'd still prefer April.