Colorado Run 2/25-27

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mundane Mayhem

Colorado Run 2/25-27

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Let’s do this. I won’t make it up to Aspen, unfortunately.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Re: Colorado Run 2/25-27

Post by beantownbubba »

Have a great time!

10 bucks if you shout out a request for "Free Bird" loud enough for the band to hear.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Ogden 2/25

Filthy
Righteous
Grievance
Hell No
Slow Ride
Santa Fe
Gravity
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
The Driver
Sounds Better
Bubba
First Air
Thoughts and Prayers
Ramon
KKK
New OK
Surrender
XIII (title track)
One of These Days
Ronnie
LTBR
Zip
Angels
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:50 am
XIII (title track)
Not sure if we knew this already, but last night Patterson introduced “Welcome 2 Club XIII” as the title track of the new album. I also enjoyed last night’s version more than any of the previous times I’ve heard it. It had a harder rocking feel last night than I was expecting. Hope that’s the way they did it on the album!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

The Aggie
2/26/22

Slow Ride
Santa Fe
Ghost
Boys from Alabama!
Devil
Tornadoes
Never Wake You Up
Gravity
Ronnie
Plastic Flowers
3DD
The Driver
Flameout
Lookout
Pin Hits!
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
XIII
Marry Me
LTBR
Surrender
KKK
Hell No

More thoughts to follow. They brought it tonight.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Is plastic flowers still being performed under the new awful arrangement?

Lyons1013

Post by Lyons1013 »

It was really fast. I didn't recognize it at all.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Drive-By Truckers
Belly Up
Aspen, CO
February 27, 2022

Slow Ride Argument
Santa Fe
A Ghost to Most
Welcome 2 Club XIII
Gravity’s Gone
Buttholeville
One of These Days
My Sweet Annette
Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
Surrender Under Protest
Ronnie and Neil
Women Without Whiskey
Plastic Flowers On the Highway
Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun
Zip City
Hell No I Ain’t Happy
Sounds Better In the Song
The Company I Keep
Every Single Storied Flameout
Let There Be Rock (dedicated to Worldwide Bill)
Marry Me
I’m Eighteen
Shut Up and Get On the Plane
Angels and Fuselage
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks, Bill. Congrats on the dedication - was it to acknowledge another milestone for you ?

Assuming the "Plastic Flowers" arrangement is the same as the one I heard on one of the streamed shows and in Brooklyn in November, I have to say I like it. <shrug>
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:51 am
Thanks, Bill. Congrats on the dedication - was it to acknowledge another milestone for you ?

Assuming the "Plastic Flowers" arrangement is the same as the one I heard on one of the streamed shows and in Brooklyn in November, I have to say I like it. <shrug>
I'm with you, bubba. The new arrangement has transformed this song into a pretty reliable show highlight for me, which would not have been the case for the old arrangement. Diff'rent strokes, I suppose.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:48 am
The Aggie
2/26/22

Slow Ride
Santa Fe
Ghost
Boys from Alabama!
Devil
Tornadoes
Never Wake You Up
Gravity
Ronnie
Plastic Flowers
3DD
The Driver
Flameout
Lookout
Pin Hits!
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
XIII
Marry Me
LTBR
Surrender
KKK
Hell No

More thoughts to follow. They brought it tonight.
I don't know if there was a conscious effort to switch things up, but I thought the Ft. Collins show was a more varied and stronger show than the previous night's in Denver. '

This could also be in part a reflection of some subjective factors: I was not in the best mood on Friday night, given a long workweek and various transit frustrations that I won't get into here. I was also way further back than I am accustomed to being at a DBT show, so maybe my body has just learned to enjoy feeling the bass and drums in my chest and gut. You don't get that at the soundboard like you do on the rail.

"The Boys from Alabama" with a classic PH intro story was amazing to hear early in the set, and "When The Pin Hits The Shell" moved me to tears, as it will often do. As best I can tell, it had been a little while since we've seen either of these.

My biggest takeaway from these two shows: I am extremely excited for the new album this summer. I had seen many of these songs in their bare-bones acoustic form at Patterson's streams during the lockdown (or before). I liked "We Will Never Wake You Up in the Morning" right away, and the full-band version didn't disappoint.

I have never much connected with "Welcome 2 Club XIII" before this weekend's shows, but now I am becoming a big fan. I expected the arrangement to be more like "21st Century USA" than it turned out to be.

A new Cooley song is always a reason for celebration. This one is a corker, and I loved the turns of phrase I was able to pick out on Saturday night. If it's reminiscent of any of his previous songs, it's probably "Shit Shots Count." It remains to be seen what the Hood/Cooley ratio will be on the record. Perhaps more of a return to the pre-EO days, which probably shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. If anything, EO and AB were the outliers in that regard, and Cooley's run from 2013–2016 or so is one of the most impressive songwriting runs I've ever seen.

Looking forward to Homecoming, to say the least!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:51 am

Nice one WW Bill!!!

The Belly Up is such a great spot. I recall a cover of The Bitch is Back being played there. Stone cold sober as a matter of fact, which, I certainly wasn't.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Can I get a fact check on this?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:25 pm

He definitely said it. I thought he was referring to one guy in particular but this makes it seem like he was referring to the whole crowd.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Bill in CT wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:54 am
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

He definitely said it. I thought he was referring to one guy in particular but this makes it seem like he was referring to the whole crowd.
He should be banned!! While correct that everyone in there looks like Robert Redford, no more that half of them work for Haliburton. The other half inherited their money from Halliburton stock. Artists need to be careful with broad generalizations.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:11 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

He should be banned!! While correct that everyone in there looks like Robert Redford, no more that half of them work for Haliburton. The other half inherited their money from Halliburton stock. Artists need to be careful with broad generalizations.
:lol:
Always go to the show

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:11 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

Especially because oftentimes their artist friends are ALSO getting by on that Halliburton inheritance!