Seattle 2/19 & 2/20

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Re: Seattle 2/19 & 2/20

Post by Bill in CT »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:05 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:41 pm
I’ve actually been going to the shows with friends and talking to other fans. They all are loving the shows and the lineup.
I’ve been seeing DBT since December 2001. In all that time they have never been a 4-person band.
Go back to complaining about Mariners ticket prices. That is a topic you actually know something about.
FWIW the two shows in Austin a few months ago were great and high energy (or was it that I was high?). If you don't think there is going to be some weirdness after two years of shows being mostly shut down, than you aren't thinking. Hell, people can't even figure out how to fly on a goddamn airplane correctly these days. I attended my first in-person business conference in two years last week and while refreshing to get back out there in the real world, it was a bit odd and I questioned whether I was doing it correctly, and kept checking to make sure I remembered to wear pants. The band, I think did a great job keeping on during the lockdown(s)...streaming shows, we got to meet Brownie, learn more stories and get a bit more personal with the band. And we all got the Daddy's Cup we ALL figured we would never get.

As a guy who leans stage left at the Rock Show, I understand the frustration with Cooley not rolling out all his old numbers. I suppose I've come to realize that it's just that all of his songs...really...ALL of them are just so goddamn good. They are all worthy of playing at every show and have special meaning to each of us in different ways. That said, I've seen Space City, Loaded Gun, Panties and Carl rolled out more often than he gets credit for. Cartoon Gold are Jimmy are both songs that, sure I'd love to see more often, but it's only because, damn I do love those songs. (she's like a talking leather couch)

There's a flip side to this. Pre-Pandemic we all saw Zip starting to regularly slip from the rotation. And while I'm totally okay with that to make room for other stuff, I don't know...at the show or in the parking lot after, I'm not going to get through a DBT show without screaming 305 Engine. But, you know me, I ain't got no good intentions.
I also thought the Austin shows were great. Are there songs I wish they’d play more often? Of course. But that is what makes bustouts like Careless at Homecoming so special. I’m also a big Pearl Jam fan and have never seen the band play Dirty Frank. I know I will enjoy my shows this year whether or not I see them play that song.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

pearlbeer wrote:
That said, I've seen Space City, Loaded Gun, Panties and Carl rolled out more often than he gets credit for.
I am in general agreement with your "Let Cooley Be Cooley" sentiment, but I am reasonably confident we haven't seen a full-band Carl Perkins' Cadillac since, like, Revenge of The Dirt Underneath in 2015. I could be wrong. Definitely seen him do it solo a few times since then, though.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:57 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
That said, I've seen Space City, Loaded Gun, Panties and Carl rolled out more often than he gets credit for.
I am in general agreement with your "Let Cooley Be Cooley" sentiment, but I am reasonably confident we haven't seen a full-band Carl Perkins' Cadillac since, like, Revenge of The Dirt Underneath in 2015. I could be wrong. Definitely seen him do it solo a few times since then, though.
It's such a good song. If he doesn't play it for you at Homecoming, I will. ;)
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:29 am
Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:21 am
Cooley on the other hand, once again, can’t respond and plays the same 10-15 songs every night. I’m starting to wonder if he even wants to be there anymore? Seriously. There’s no way the band can still play a song like Gravity’s Gone with a smile on their face.
Cooley played 19 unique songs over two nights in Seattle. I'm not sure what you want him to sing at this point
Patterson songs!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:08 pm
Zip City wrote:
Cooley on the other hand, once again, can’t respond and plays the same 10-15 songs every night. I’m starting to wonder if he even wants to be there anymore? Seriously. There’s no way the band can still play a song like Gravity’s Gone with a smile on their face.
Cooley played 19 unique songs over two nights in Seattle. I'm not sure what you want him to sing at this point
Patterson songs!
And there you have it :lol:
Always go to the show

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well this escalated in a strange way. Bubba said what I was thinking. The guys haven’t played live much at all in a really long time. Are we really surprised if they’re a little bit off balance and maybe slightly off their game this early back into things? I mean as great as they are they’re just people. And slightly off their game is still better than most bands on their A game. I have no doubt they will all eight cylinders, all twelve gears very soon. Gotta give them time. There’s bound to be a little rust.

Can’t imagine wanting Jay gone.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:08 pm
Zip City wrote:
Patterson songs!
There’s always Til He’s Dead or Rises.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.