Seattle 2/19 & 2/20

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Seattle 2/19 & 2/20

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:29 am
I'm not sure what you want him to sing at this point
It would be nice if he dusted off a few of his deeper cuts every once in a while.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:46 am
Zip City wrote:
I'm not sure what you want him to sing at this point
It would be nice if he dusted off a few of his deeper cuts every once in a while.
Sure, I would love to see more "Love Like This" or "When the Pin Hits the Shell", but Cooley simply doesn't have as many songs to "go deep" on. It's not like we're hearing Patterson dig into "The Wig He Made Her Wear" or "The President's Penis is Missing" on a regular basis.

I think the main album that Cooley ignores is English Oceans ("Shit Shots", "Primer Coat", "Hearing Jimmy Loud")
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I'm not gonna wade too deeply into this other than to say that the man has played "Natural Light" twice in the past week. I can't say I'm clamoring for more "Hearing Jimmy Loud," but I'd sure love to see "Carl Perkins' Cadillac" or "Cottonseed" pop up now and again. Cooley also has a higher proportion of acoustic-ish tunes that I imagine would be used sparingly in a Rock Show setting. I love "Cartoon Gold" and "Lisa's Birthday" as much as the next guy, but either of them would definitely have an impact on the overall vibe and flow of the show.

Aside from "The Deeper In" and maybe GG Allin and Santa Fe, nothing lately really raises my eyebrow from the Hood side of things, either. He also has 4 or 5 new ones he's been working in, so those automatically give him a little bit more variety to work with in terms of songs people haven't heard 500 times.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I for one will not be satisfied until Cooley starts playing them before he writes them.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

phungi

Post by phungi »

I found myself in a "Cooley doesn't play enough unique songs" argument with Bubba after HC2020, which led to the following stats/nerd behavior, which concluded that while Cooley has fewer songs to choose from, he plays a higher percentage of those songs than does Patterson:
Damn, Bubba, you inspire me.. that, and I can't focus on work today, so I analyzed the last 5 Homecoming Setlists (2016-2020).

Total Songs on DBT Studio Albums: 172 (99/58% Hood, 52/30% Cooley, 21/12% Others)
Total Songs on DBT Studio Album (excluding others): 151 (99 or 66% Hood, 52 or 34% Cooley)
What is the percentage of different songs Cooley played on multi night stands over the past 5 years? Cooley 38/78 or 48.8%
How do those numbers compare to Hood's? Hood 40/78 or 51.2%
Of the X covers DBT plays most, how many are sung by Hood and how many by Cooley? Over the past 5 years, the average 2.4 (2-3) covers per 3-night run, all sung by Hood

So, that leaves us with:
1. Over the past 5 Homecoming 3-night runs, they average 38 (Cooley) and 40 (Hood) songs each. Of these, Hood averages 3 repeats and Cooley averages 16 repeats.
2. Over the past 5 Homecoming 3-night runs, Hood averages 0.4 "All 3 Night Repeats" whereas Cooley averages 4 "All 3 Night Repeats"
3. Cooley plays 0 covers, so his average songs over the past 5 HC 3-night runs (38), minus repeats (16), represents playing 22 unique songs, or 42% (22/52) of his entire catalog
4. Patterson plays 2.4 covers, so his average songs over the past 5 HC 3-night runs (40), minus repeats (3) and covers (2), represents playing 35 unique songs, or 35% (35/99) of his entire catalog

Conclusion:
1. Cooley may repeat songs, but he plays a higher percentage of his catalog than Patterson
2. The stats don't lie, I am wrong
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

phungi wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:31 pm
I found myself in a "Cooley doesn't play enough unique songs" argument with Bubba after HC2020, which led to the following stats/nerd behavior, which concluded that while Cooley has fewer songs to choose from, he plays a higher percentage of those songs than does Patterson:
Damn, Bubba, you inspire me.. that, and I can't focus on work today, so I analyzed the last 5 Homecoming Setlists (2016-2020).

Total Songs on DBT Studio Albums: 172 (99/58% Hood, 52/30% Cooley, 21/12% Others)
Total Songs on DBT Studio Album (excluding others): 151 (99 or 66% Hood, 52 or 34% Cooley)
What is the percentage of different songs Cooley played on multi night stands over the past 5 years? Cooley 38/78 or 48.8%
How do those numbers compare to Hood's? Hood 40/78 or 51.2%
Of the X covers DBT plays most, how many are sung by Hood and how many by Cooley? Over the past 5 years, the average 2.4 (2-3) covers per 3-night run, all sung by Hood

So, that leaves us with:
1. Over the past 5 Homecoming 3-night runs, they average 38 (Cooley) and 40 (Hood) songs each. Of these, Hood averages 3 repeats and Cooley averages 16 repeats.
2. Over the past 5 Homecoming 3-night runs, Hood averages 0.4 "All 3 Night Repeats" whereas Cooley averages 4 "All 3 Night Repeats"
3. Cooley plays 0 covers, so his average songs over the past 5 HC 3-night runs (38), minus repeats (16), represents playing 22 unique songs, or 42% (22/52) of his entire catalog
4. Patterson plays 2.4 covers, so his average songs over the past 5 HC 3-night runs (40), minus repeats (3) and covers (2), represents playing 35 unique songs, or 35% (35/99) of his entire catalog

Conclusion:
1. Cooley may repeat songs, but he plays a higher percentage of his catalog than Patterson
2. The stats don't lie, I am wrong
And imagine, there are folks who say numbers ain't phun..... 8-)
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm still a little freaked out by that deep dive, phungi, but in a good way ;)

I had intended to post my last comment (Cooley may be playing more variety) w/ zip michigan's (More different please Cooley) with a question mark or some other enigmatic comment, but you guys blew past that, lol :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Zip City wrote:
Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:21 am
Cooley on the other hand, once again, can’t respond and plays the same 10-15 songs every night. I’m starting to wonder if he even wants to be there anymore? Seriously. There’s no way the band can still play a song like Gravity’s Gone with a smile on their face.
Cooley played 19 unique songs over two nights in Seattle. I'm not sure what you want him to sing at this point

Every song that isn't the same 15 he's been playing the the last several years. Since you asked so kindly, here's a list (bolded worth more than the non bolded):

Sarah's Flame
Kinky Hypocrite
Primer Coat
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Natural Light
Cartoon Gold
The Weakest Man
Pulaski
Get Downtown
Perfect Timing
Self-Destructive Zones
Bob
Lisa's Birthday
Checkout Time in Vegas
Space City
Carl Perkins' Cadillac (I mean, seriously???)
Cottonseed
Daddy's Cup

Loaded Gun in the Closet
Panties in Your Purse

This list could also include any covers or unreleased songs he's done over the years. Do something DIFFERENT, especially when you see your partner so often reaching into his bag of tricks. Perhaps the fix is giving up this every other song rotation.

For the love of god put First Snooze of Autumn, Marry Me, Made up English Oceans, Women Without Whiskey on the shelf for a long time.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I don't think I'd mind if "Women Without Whiskey" were featured at every show I attend for the rest of my life. Whether it's a DBT show or not. I hope Big Thief plays WWW when I see them in April.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:09 am
Zip City wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:21 am
Cooley on the other hand, once again, can’t respond and plays the same 10-15 songs every night. I’m starting to wonder if he even wants to be there anymore? Seriously. There’s no way the band can still play a song like Gravity’s Gone with a smile on their face.
Cooley played 19 unique songs over two nights in Seattle. I'm not sure what you want him to sing at this point

Every song that isn't the same 15 he's been playing the the last several years. Since you asked so kindly, here's a list (bolded worth more than the non bolded):

Sarah's Flame
Kinky Hypocrite
Primer Coat
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Natural Light
Cartoon Gold
The Weakest Man
Pulaski
Get Downtown
Perfect Timing
Self-Destructive Zones
Bob
Lisa's Birthday
Checkout Time in Vegas
Space City
Carl Perkins' Cadillac (I mean, seriously???)
Cottonseed
Daddy's Cup

Loaded Gun in the Closet
Panties in Your Purse

This list could also include any covers or unreleased songs he's done over the years. Do something DIFFERENT, especially when you see your partner so often reaching into his bag of tricks. Perhaps the fix is giving up this every other song rotation.

For the love of god put First Snooze of Autumn, Marry Me, Made up English Oceans, Women Without Whiskey on the shelf for a long time.
I understand your frustration (to a point), but again, Cooley played 19 songs in two nights alone, and 21 or 22 unique songs so far on this tour. I think Cooley is one of those musicians who shelves songs that he isn't interested in playing (how many shows did we go not hearing One of These Days??) I agree with you on First Air of Autumn (never really liked it on the album, and its a buzzkill live), but I think there are a lot of songs that would have the same effect in the middle of a rawk show. We're never going to get Daddy's Cup, I don't really want to hear any of the GGB songs or Bob. Not sure why SDZ has fallen off the list.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

A quick glance at the setlists from this tour show that Patterson is only up 26-21 over Cooley in unique songs played. Lots of repeats from Hood (Santa Fe, Righteous Path, LTBR, Plastic Flowers and the new songs being repeated a lot)

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:16 pm
A quick glance at the setlists from this tour show that Patterson is only up 26-21 over Cooley in unique songs played. Lots of repeats from Hood (Santa Fe, Righteous Path, LTBR, Plastic Flowers and the new songs being repeated a lot)
Fair enough. I think I harp on Cooley more because he lets his best songs sit on the shelf when he knows there’s demand for them. Meanwhile, he’s playing songs like First Air and English Oceans that literally nobody wants to hear anymore.

Perhaps the bigger issue for me, as indicated in your above post, is that the setlist in general has been quite static... really since the release of The Unraveling IMO.

I just looked up stats for the three night Toronto run over Fourth of July weekend in 2019. Patterson played 43 (!) different songs over the course of THREE nights (Darkened Flags was the only song played twice). So now you’re telling me over the course of this entire tour so far, he’s only played 26 songs (and the show on the 20th upped that number significantly)??? I mean, that’s a big yikes for me.

People will still go to the shows, the band will still rock, etc... but as someone who has hit the road in the past I can’t justify traveling, even regionally at this time, to see the same songs night after night.

I saw one show on this tour (Detroit) and it felt like it lacked the typical spontaneity and celebratory nature I’ve come to expect from a truckers show. It felt like they were going through the motions.

Just my two cents.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

There does seem to be a predictability to the set lists, both in song selection and order.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Ya know, I've been thinking (DANGER). I talked to bubba about how the energy seemed off at the show I went to. It was still a great show but I have a theory (MORE DANGER). I think that maybe this incantation of the band has perhaps hit a plateau. Maybe it's time to hit the festival-go-round harder & cash in whilst the cashin's good. Get a nice payday. Then do some sort of shake up & see what comes next. I don't think any of us wants to watch DBT get stale.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Geez, guys. Nobody wants to see the band get stale or become an oldies act or whatever but come on, we're just coming out (hopefully) of an unprecedented pandemic which fucked up the music world as much or more as any other industry. During that two + year period DBT managed to release 2 albums of new, original material and more or less pioneer livestreaming concerts in various configurations. They've been out on the road for all of a couple of weeks (and from what I've seen charging a ridiculously cheap price for tix in light of what I see of the market) and they've already added somewhere around 3 or 4 new songs to the rotation and one old new one (Club XIII). Homecoming is going to be an unprecedented 4 nights which tells me there are going to be some interesting surprises; we already know that Mr. Jay Gonzalez will be opening one night. Give peace a chance people.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rags

Post by Rags »

Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:16 pm
Zip City wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:16 pm
Fair enough. I think I harp on Cooley more because he lets his best songs sit on the shelf when he knows there’s demand for them. Meanwhile, he’s playing songs like First Air and English Oceans that literally nobody wants to hear anymore.

Perhaps the bigger issue for me, as indicated in your above post, is that the setlist in general has been quite static... really since the release of The Unraveling IMO.

I just looked up stats for the three night Toronto run over Fourth of July weekend in 2019. Patterson played 43 (!) different songs over the course of THREE nights (Darkened Flags was the only song played twice). So now you’re telling me over the course of this entire tour so far, he’s only played 26 songs (and the show on the 20th upped that number significantly)??? I mean, that’s a big yikes for me.

People will still go to the shows, the band will still rock, etc... but as someone who has hit the road in the past I can’t justify traveling, even regionally at this time, to see the same songs night after night.

I saw one show on this tour (Detroit) and it felt like it lacked the typical spontaneity and celebratory nature I’ve come to expect from a truckers show. It felt like they were going through the motions.

Just my two cents.
The Detroit show was definitely the worst DBT show I’ve seen. Neither the band nor the crowd appeared to have any interest in being there that night. It was a far cry from the heater they played late into the night at the same venue in ‘17…

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:45 pm
Ya know, I've been thinking (DANGER). I talked to bubba about how the energy seemed off at the show I went to. It was still a great show but I have a theory (MORE DANGER). I think that maybe this incantation of the band has perhaps hit a plateau. Maybe it's time to hit the festival-go-round harder & cash in whilst the cashin's good. Get a nice payday. Then do some sort of shake up & see what comes next. I don't think any of us wants to watch DBT get stale.
I was also at the Showbox and the energy seemed just fine to me.
Your suggestion they should change the lineup (seems that you are saying that) is unmitigated poppycock and should be mocked for the dumb idea that it is on its face.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Bill in CT wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:12 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:45 pm
I was also at the Showbox and the energy seemed just fine to me.
Your suggestion they should change the lineup (seems that you are saying that) is unmitigated poppycock and should be mocked for the dumb idea that it is on its face.
Too much Jay on lead guitar, not enough Cooley. This band has always had line up changes. I would like to see them strip down to a 4 piece again. The rhythm section is meshing just fine. & Jay is very talented. Maybe it's time for him to fly on his own. I've seen them a lot over the years although I don't have the money (or health) to follow them around the country. I was doing good making it to one show & that hurt me. & if you look at the thread, I'm not the only one who feels something is off. In fact, it seems there are more idiots than geniuses like you.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I’ve actually been going to the shows with friends and talking to other fans. They all are loving the shows and the lineup.
I’ve been seeing DBT since December 2001. In all that time they have never been a 4-person band.
Go back to complaining about Mariners ticket prices. That is a topic you actually know something about.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Bill in CT wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:41 pm
I’ve actually been going to the shows with friends and talking to other fans. They all are loving the shows and the lineup.
I’ve been seeing DBT since December 2001. In all that time they have never been a 4-person band.
Go back to complaining about Mariners ticket prices. That is a topic you actually know something about.
I believe Alabama Ass Whuppin' is a 4 piece. Sorry if I'm incorrect. If so, all the more reason to try it out. Perhaps you should listen more rather than get all obsessive compulsive about setlists. That's some real deadhead stuff.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

AAW was recorded before my first DBT show which was in December 2001.
I am not the one who is obsessive about setlists. Other DBT fans appreciate when setlists are posted here and on Facebook. Perhaps you have missed that.
I do plenty of listening…both to the albums and at the shows. I have obviously attended far more DBT shows than you so my opinion is also valid.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Patterson weighed in on Facebook wrt the idea of DBT asking Jay to leave the band:

I often brag about how smart our fans tend to be (especially those who didn’t run for the hills in 2016 🤠 but that’s some stupid fucking shit.

And I’ll piss on your coffee table while screaming it to the heavens.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I myself am ready to see the band become a six-piece again, but I can't decide what sort of extra percussionist to add.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm surprised there are people who don't like “Made Up English Oceans”. It's one of my favorites. The chord progression is fascinating in that it rarely repeats the same way.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:53 am
I'm surprised there are people who don't like “Made Up English Oceans”. It's one of my favorites. The chord progression is fascinating in that it rarely repeats the same way.
I like that one, too.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Nevermind, not worth it
Last edited by Zip City on Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

:shock:
If you don't run you rust

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

:lol:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

unmitigated poppycock = great band name
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Bill in CT wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:41 pm
FWIW the two shows in Austin a few months ago were great and high energy (or was it that I was high?). If you don't think there is going to be some weirdness after two years of shows being mostly shut down, than you aren't thinking. Hell, people can't even figure out how to fly on a goddamn airplane correctly these days. I attended my first in-person business conference in two years last week and while refreshing to get back out there in the real world, it was a bit odd and I questioned whether I was doing it correctly, and kept checking to make sure I remembered to wear pants. The band, I think did a great job keeping on during the lockdown(s)...streaming shows, we got to meet Brownie, learn more stories and get a bit more personal with the band. And we all got the Daddy's Cup we ALL figured we would never get.

As a guy who leans stage left at the Rock Show, I understand the frustration with Cooley not rolling out all his old numbers. I suppose I've come to realize that it's just that all of his songs...really...ALL of them are just so goddamn good. They are all worthy of playing at every show and have special meaning to each of us in different ways. That said, I've seen Space City, Loaded Gun, Panties and Carl rolled out more often than he gets credit for. Cartoon Gold are Jimmy are both songs that, sure I'd love to see more often, but it's only because, damn I do love those songs. (she's like a talking leather couch)

There's a flip side to this. Pre-Pandemic we all saw Zip starting to regularly slip from the rotation. And while I'm totally okay with that to make room for other stuff, I don't know...at the show or in the parking lot after, I'm not going to get through a DBT show without screaming 305 Engine. But, you know me, I ain't got no good intentions.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!