New Album? & ATL 11/12

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bakertom09

New Album? & ATL 11/12

Post by bakertom09 »

I seem to remember hearing an interview with PH someplace recently where he said they have recorded a new album but that it likely will not come out until next summer due to issues with getting it pressed. Is that true, or did I hear an old interview I thought was new?

Saw the actual "World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band" the night after seeing the self-proclaimed "World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band." Have to say both were excellent. The Stones were amaing given their ages and the number of times they have played those songs. There were times (e.g., Midnight Rambler) where it felt like you were in a small blues club.

DBTs were, of course, excellent. I thought the play list was really good. Particularly loved the new arrangement of Plastic Flowers. Missed hearing Let There Be Rock, but there will be another time for that. Birthday Boy was excellent. I remember seeing them at the Variety Playhouse when that came out and Neff was with them and loving his slide work, but Jay's work there was fantastic. People Who Died is, and was, a great way to end the show but would have loved to have gotten Angels and Fuselage as those the next night did. It was interesting there was no encore, but perfectly fine with me - I always thought that was a bit goofy.

Have one somewhat funny anecdote. Between shows (btw, Buffalo Nichols is outstanding!) my friends and I noticed a guy looking at us, and me in particular. After a few minutes he came up and asked me if I was there for the "right reason." I answered that I was there to see the DBTs and went on to tell him about getting into the DBTs when SRO came out and having seen them a number of times. He finally told me that I had passed the test, but he was a bit worried at first due to me wearing a pair of khaki shorts and an Augusta National polo shirt. So, next time I go to a show I will have to remember to dress appropriately!! :D

Clams

Re: New Album? & ATL 11/12

Post by Clams »

I don't know about release dates but I heard they mastered the new record during the Brooklyn Bowl run last weekend.

Also, all golf wear should be banned from DBT shows.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bakertom09 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:24 pm
It was interesting there was no encore, but perfectly fine with me - I always thought that was a bit goofy.
FYI, they stopped doing encores a while back more or less for the reason you suggest.
bakertom09 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:24 pm
He finally told me that I had passed the test
The thought of being tested on my fashion sense, especially but not only at a rock show, makes me break out in a cold sweat.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

It's the "right reason" bit that confuses me. What would be the wrong reason?

Flea

Post by Flea »

305 Engine wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:34 am
It's the "right reason" bit that confuses me. What would be the wrong reason?
To cause trouble.
Now it's dark.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Because of a fucking polo shirt?

I'll have to bear that in mind.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Patterson mentioned at the Dimmer Twins show in late October that it was recorded and would be out, most likely, in late summer due to vinyl pressing plant delays... So, you weren't imagining things...

Clams

Post by Clams »

305 Engine wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:38 am

Not just a polo shirt but an Augusta National polo shirt. That's the club where the Masters golf tournament takes place each spring, and where there have long been allegations of racism against blacks.
If you don't run you rust

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

If my attire offends anyone should I take a lesson from that Homecoming legend from years ago…the one regarding the fan who removed all his clothing while rocking out???

I just don’t want to step on toes.

Regardless, I’ll wear my clothes in the 40 watt line. January/February is cold in Georgia and I might embarrass myself!!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:39 pm
305 Engine wrote:

Not just a polo shirt but an Augusta National polo shirt. That's the club where the Masters golf tournament takes place each spring, and where there have long been allegations of racism against blacks.
And decades long discrimination against women and Jews.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:
305 Engine wrote:

Yep. Clams is right! (God, it feels weird to say that).
Now it's dark.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Clams wrote:
305 Engine wrote:

Ah. Ok gotcha.

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

1) Masters Tournament / Augusta National polos are as ubiquitous in Georgia as springtime pollen. It's not the next MAGA hat.

2) I've been to a few hundred DBT shows over the past 20 years, and I've worn a collared shirt and shorts or khakis to a whole bunch of them. Anyone who wants to know if I'm there for "the right reasons" can kick rocks. I don't have to prove my fandom to anyone. And if someone had to deal with that BS question at their first show, how offputting would that be? The DBT community is and should be one of inclusivity and acceptance.

3) It's my opinion that DBT crowds in my fine city, Atlanta, are among the worst in the nation. So many rude, angry, and sometimes violent people. This comes from both sides of the crowd -- drunken frat guys, hardcore fans -- there's just something about Atlanta that energizes the crowds in the wrong way. My wife won't come to hometown shows anymore because she doesn't want to deal with the people, and that makes me sad. At the 11/13 show I watched a lady standing on the rail attack some guy with vitriol and vulgarity because she didn't like the (fairly innocuous, from the bits I could hear) story he was telling in front of her 12 year old daughter. Why she had her 12 year old daughter on the rail is no one's business but hers, but what that poor child heard out of her mother's mouth was far worse than anything I heard the guy saying.

I hope this will change, but for the time being I might skip Atlanta shows and travel to friendlier confines. Always love the music, but I was not impressed with what I saw from the audience last weekend.
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Ty Webb wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:29 am
1) Masters Tournament / Augusta National polos are as ubiquitous in Georgia as springtime pollen. It's not the next MAGA hat.

2) I've been to a few hundred DBT shows over the past 20 years, and I've worn a collared shirt and shorts or khakis to a whole bunch of them. Anyone who wants to know if I'm there for "the right reasons" can kick rocks. I don't have to prove my fandom to anyone. And if someone had to deal with that BS question at their first show, how offputting would that be? The DBT community is and should be one of inclusivity and acceptance.

3) It's my opinion that DBT crowds in my fine city, Atlanta, are among the worst in the nation. So many rude, angry, and sometimes violent people. This comes from both sides of the crowd -- drunken frat guys, hardcore fans -- there's just something about Atlanta that energizes the crowds in the wrong way. My wife won't come to hometown shows anymore because she doesn't want to deal with the people, and that makes me sad. At the 11/13 show I watched a lady standing on the rail attack some guy with vitriol and vulgarity because she didn't like the (fairly innocuous, from the bits I could hear) story he was telling in front of her 12 year old daughter. Why she had her 12 year old daughter on the rail is no one's business but hers, but what that poor child heard out of her mother's mouth was far worse than anything I heard the guy saying.

I hope this will change, but for the time being I might skip Atlanta shows and travel to friendlier confines. Always love the music, but I was not impressed with what I saw from the audience last weekend.
You can always stay at home and live-stream in your man cave.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:43 am

Weird take. I don't have a room that anyone would consider a "man cave."

I'm just hoping for a fun, friendly show. Not as easy as one would hope in Atlanta.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Beaverdam wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:24 pm
If my attire offends anyone should I take a lesson from that Homecoming legend from years ago…the one regarding the fan who removed all his clothing while rocking out???
Not all his clothing...just most.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

gepman

Post by gepman »

This makes no fucking sense.
Who gives a fuck what someone wears...
Jokes aside, douchebag assholes come from all walks of life and wear many different "outfits"...
As long as you're not one, who cares about your "outfit". Rock on.

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

gepman wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:04 pm
This makes no fucking sense.
Who gives a fuck what someone wears...
Jokes aside, douchebag assholes come from all walks of life and wear many different "outfits"...
As long as you're not one, who cares about your "outfit". Rock on.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Part of what got Patterson so royally, roundly pissed off last night at the guy who cold-cocked Chris (as though that wasn't enough to get him bounced) was that the guy was wearing a Muscle Shoals Sound t-shirt when he did it. In other news, everyone here is wearing a uniform and don't ever forget it.

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

Ty Webb wrote:
At the 11/13 show I watched a lady standing on the rail attack some guy with vitriol and vulgarity because she didn't like the (fairly innocuous, from the bits I could hear) story he was telling in front of her 12 year old daughter. Why she had her 12 year old daughter on the rail is no one's business but hers, but what that poor child heard out of her mother's mouth was far worse than anything I heard the guy saying.

So I was on the rail that night, and I was hypervigilant because some drunk-ass Charlie Manson look-alike was hanging behind me and being rather obnoxious to the ladies I was with. I did not see any kids in my vicinity. Where was this?
Now it's dark.

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

Flea wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:19 pm

So I was on the rail that night, and I was hypervigilant because some drunk-ass Charlie Manson look-alike was hanging behind me and being rather obnoxious to the ladies I was with. I did not see any kids in my vicinity. Where was this?
Over Cooleyville way, right up next to the speakers. My right ear's still ringing as I type this.

cortez the killer

Ty Webb wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:33 pm
cortez the killer wrote:

Speaking of weird takes...
- DPM

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:10 am

I still think it's a stupid phrase, but my stance has softened considerably over the decade it's been rattling around in your brain.

Have you made any changes in your life over the past 10 years? Have your positions shifted at all?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

cortez the killer wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Damn! That's some institutional memory right there Cortez
Always go to the show

cortez the killer

Jonicont wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:59 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:

Damn! That's some institutional memory right there Cortez
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Ty Webb wrote:

The only fight I’ve ever seen at a Truckers show was at an Atlanta show now that you mention it. Night two at the Variety Playhouse just before the Big To Do release. And that wasn’t the only stupid going on that night. Me and my buddy had to keep moving because this group of really obnoxious people kept blinding us with their camera taking selfies. This was the first time I had ever witnessed this type of behavior and had no idea at the time that it was called a selfie. I just knew it was aggravating.

The fight had something to do with the group I mentioned. I was not involved n’t was my buddy. We are both good sized fellas and could have broken these people in half but weren’t there for that and were just trying to enjoy the show. This took place between them and another group who asked them to stop blinding them with their camera. Patterson tried to get the fight stopped but had no luck and enlisted Damon Scott, their big roadie to shut it down. He did. This was all while the band was in the middle of Shut Up and Get On the Plane and Cooley said into the mic, “Damon is a very large man. I recommend you do just what the fuck he says.”

As for the guy asking if you were there for the right reason, I would have probably hurt his feelings. But there’s one of those in every crowd, man.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I was on the rail both nights in Atlanta and had a great time. Night 2 was especially great as Flea was to my left and Athens Joe was to my right. At one point Joe leaned over to me and said “I’m starting to understand why you’ve seen them over 300 times.”
New Orleans was where I encountered a major issue. I got the rail and was standing between friends. My 2 friends to the left of me went to the bar so I spread out to hold their spots. This was maybe 15 minutes after doors. Not a lot of people were in Tipitina’s at that time. A random blonde woman wearing a great Dexateens shirt comes up & stands at the rail. I tell her my friends are at the bar and will return. She replies that she will stand there. When one of my friends returned I said I am returning to my spot now. As I moved back to my spot she threw part of her drink on me. I then hit her plastic cup and part of her ice flew into the photo pit. She turned around & tried to complain to the people behind us. They ignored her. One of my friends soon reported the issue to venue staff and their weak reply was that they couldn’t do anything. Long and short of it is that I had to spend the whole show with this moron to the left of me. This was my second visit to New Orleans. The first time was in 2011 when I saw 2 DBT shows at Tipitina’s. There was a tropical storm that weekend and the will call window was so far from the venue doors that my friends and I almost missed rail. I seem to have bad luck in New Orleans and a better time in Atlanta. I know a lot of people feel differently and that is fine with me.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

gepman

Post by gepman »

Listening to Patterson's 12/18/21 show.
He said Welcome to Club XIII was the title track for the new rekkid.
Not sure if this is new info or not...