Brooklyn bowl ticket for sale

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tweedrules

Brooklyn bowl ticket for sale

Post by tweedrules »

Hello Heathens
I had a family commitment come up and I can’t make the Friday night show at Brooklyn Bowl. I have 1 ticket for sale. Face value of course. DM me if you are interested.
Chris Grange

Vincent

Re: Brooklyn bowl ticket for sale

Post by Vincent »

I have two for Thursday to trade for Saturday or sell outright @ cost.
Dave

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Clams hooked me up for Saturday. Thanks.

Two for Thursday for sale @ face. I'll eat the fees.
Dave

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Vincent wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:15 pm
Clams hooked me up for Saturday. Thanks.

Two for Thursday for sale @ face. I'll eat the fees.
Pretty sure I'll be able to buy these from you -- still need to finalize our schedule, but it looks like we'll be going to this show. I'll circle back in a week or so and if the tickets are still available I'll take them off your hands.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I'll hold them. No rush. PM me.
Dave

TDB

Post by TDB »

Well, shit.....

Due to some very unseen medical costs this week, I am OUT for my weekend in New York...that I had paid for six months ago!
I have TWO TIX for Brookly Bowl on both Friday and Saturday that must now go to pay for a PET scan and biopsy.
WIll sell for face value, but considering the circumstances, I would LIKE to get my fees back, too....PLEASE!
Not a dealbreaker. Don't contact me here, I don't log on very often.
Hit me up at hellwasthat@hotmail.com

"Rev" Todd Baker

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thursdays tickets are sold.
Dave

Clams

Post by Clams »

I've got one extra for Fri night. $35.

Anyone want it?
If you don't run you rust

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

I've got a ticket for Saturday night at cost. I'll be in attendance both Thursday and Friday if anybody's interested. Give a shout here and we'll make a plan or email me at JMilward@hvc.rr.com

phungi

Post by phungi »

happy to take one of the Friday tickets, if still available
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:03 am
I've got one extra for Fri night. $35.

Anyone want it?
This one is sold
If you don't run you rust

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

No setlist?
Dave

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Vincent wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:17 pm
No setlist?
Slackers.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Brooklyn Bowl night 1
The Living Bubba
A Ghost To Most
Dead, Drunk and Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Do It Yourself
Zip City
Used To Be A Cop
Slow Ride Argument
Heroine Again
First Air Of Autumn
Thoughts And Prayers
Ramon Casiano
The Company I Keep
Women Without Whiskey
Plastic Flowers On The Highway
Three Dimes Down
(Something’s Got To) Give Pretty Soon
Sounds Better In The Song
Let There Be Rock
Marry Me
Play It All Night Long (Warren Zevon cover)
Surrender Under Protest
The KKK Took My Baby Away (The Ramones cover)
People Who Died
Always go to the show

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Jonicont wrote:Brooklyn Bowl night 1
The Living Bubba
A Ghost To Most
Dead, Drunk and Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Do It Yourself
Zip City
Used To Be A Cop
Slow Ride Argument
Heroine Again
First Air Of Autumn
Thoughts And Prayers
Ramon Casiano
The Company I Keep
Women Without Whiskey
Three Dimes Down
(Something’s Got To) Give Pretty Soon
Sounds Better In The Song
Let There Be Rock
Marry Me
Play It All Night Long (Warren Zevon cover)
Surrender Under Protest
The KKK Took My Baby Away (The Ramones cover)
People Who Died
Fried chicken’s on me.
Dave

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh well, missed "Play it all night long" again (they didn't play it friday night).

As for Friday night,

The band was on fire. The people were great. Just because I'm a long-time Kool Aid drinker, it doesn't mean I'm wrong. In fact, I am 100% correct. Variations on "that was a homecoming show" peppered the post-show breakdown from people who know. It was breathtaking. Absolutely spectacular.

There is a moment on one of those really good but not quite fantastic Van Morrison albums (sorry, I forget the details at the moment) where a woman asks, in a wonderfully seductive Irish accent, "did ye get healed?" She may have been talking about a very different kind of healing, but nonetheless, yeah, I got healed tonight.

Side note of possible relevance: Easily the most women I've ever seen at a DBT show. And every single one of them was beautiful. As for the guys, only a small percentage were older than me (good) but an equally small or smaller percentage were under 40 (not so good).

More tomorrow, hopefully after the set list is posted. You know who you are.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Night 2

Birthday Boy
The Righteous Path
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Ronnie and Neil
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
The Boys From Alabama
Women Without Whiskey
Pauline Hawkins
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Wednesday
Love Like This
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me
Buttholeville —>
State Trooper—>
Buttholeville
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Puttin’ People on the Moon
Zip City
The Night GG Allin Came to Town
One of These Days
I’m Eighteen
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy*—>
Sign ‘O the Times*—>
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy*

*with David Barbe

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A moment of silence for the eight music fans who died in Houston last night...

Smitty was mourned, toasted, celebrated and remembered by a lot of the folks I spent time with and I assume by many others as well.

The energy, joy, and the it's great to be alive and performing again vibe from the stage was palpable last nite. Patterson may have spoken to the audience as little as I can ever remember but everything about his body language and facial expressions spoke volumes. The show slammed into fifth gear from the first notes and stayed there all night.

I can't put my finger on what was different about "Birthday Boy" but something was. It wasn't rearranged or slowed down or sped up but something about it raised the rendition to another level. Later, "Uncle Frank" was similar. It wasn't the slower, "ballad-y" version, it wasn't the typical rock version, it was just a bit different and sounded great.

And then the boys were off. "The Righteous Path" matched "Birthday Boy" and then it was just kinda "can you top this" but in a totally good way. The opening 8 songs were like a steamroller. It's not they they were sped up or that the volume was turned up to 11 or anything like that, they "just" rocked out at an incredibly high energy level. About 5 songs in I started to wonder how they were going to manage to slip "a slow one" in but when they did with "Pin" and the following songs, yeah they were slower but they rocked, too - it's hard to explain; the songs kept their "shape" but the momentum just kept going. I was gonna call out "Pin" and "Mercy Buckets" for special mention but "Wednesday" and "Love Like This" were equally great. It was that kind of night.

I'm not sure what the set lists have looked like at the most recent shows, but for me it was especially nice to hear old favorites "Pauline Hawkins" (the coda was pretty mind blowing) , "Mercy Buckets" and "Puttin' People on the Moon." Normally I'd mention a few songs as particular highlights but I'm not sure I can do that. The more or less "standards" all sounded fresh and the less played songs made you wonder why they aren't played more. "Hell No/Sign" was a brilliant, leave it all out there on the stage closer. As I write this, there's a little voice in the back of my head whispering "RIghteous Path, Righteous Path" so I guess I better mention that one.

All the musicians were in top form, individually and collectively. Patterson ripped off a couple of really nice solos, Cooley maintained his recent high level of playing and overall there was plenty of rock n roll guitar. Both singers were totally committed to the songs, singing with plenty of emotion and feeling. Jay, Matt and Brad consistently surprised and delighted. Jay's keys were a little lost in the mix early, at least from where I was standing, but once that was corrected he was his usual whirling dervish self between guitar and keys, only more so. Matt always manages to throw in a couple of riffs that make your ears stand up and take notice, but there were even more of those moments than usual last nite. Matt's stage affect is well known to all but he seemed to be smiling and bouncing around even more than usual. A couple of times I thought he might just levitate. I've never been able to capture just what Brad does so incredibly well but whatever it is he was doing it last nite. Stellar all the way around.

It's not like the band goes in for much in the way of stage choreography (although Patterson and Jay did do the raised, clashing guitars thing to great effect), but the 4 singers across the stage set up for "Surrender Under Protest" slays me every time.

Buttholeville/ST was dedicated to uncle rickey and cooleygirl.

In a strange footnote, the big video screen at the back was on all night, but every time I looked at it, I couldn't see anything but the colors of the spotlights that were on at that moment - literally did not see a single one of the bandmembers, the instruments, the amps, nothing. It's not like anyone needed the screen to see, it's a small place, but it was just odd.

My guess is that the show was probably a few bodies short of totally sold out but it was close and the crowd was into it from first note to last. One of the attendees was a long time fan who hasn't been to a lot of shows. She lives in PA now, but we discovered that she grew up in MA less than a half mile from where I've lived most of my adult life. Always go to the show, you never know what might happen.

And we get to do it again tonight.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:04 am
A moment of silence for the eight music fans who died in Houston last night...

Smitty was mourned, toasted, celebrated and remembered by a lot of the folks I spent time with and I assume by many others as well.

The energy, joy, and the it's great to be alive and performing again vibe from the stage was palpable last nite. Patterson may have spoken to the audience as little as I can ever remember but everything about his body language and facial expressions spoke volumes. The show slammed into fifth gear from the first notes and stayed there all night.

I can't put my finger on what was different about "Birthday Boy" but something was. It wasn't rearranged or slowed down or sped up but something about it raised the rendition to another level. Later, "Uncle Frank" was similar. It wasn't the slower, "ballad-y" version, it wasn't the typical rock version, it was just a bit different and sounded great.

And then the boys were off. "The Righteous Path" matched "Birthday Boy" and then it was just kinda "can you top this" but in a totally good way. The opening 8 songs were like a steamroller. It's not they they were sped up or that the volume was turned up to 11 or anything like that, they "just" rocked out at an incredibly high energy level. About 5 songs in I started to wonder how they were going to manage to slip "a slow one" in but when they did with "Pin" and the following songs, yeah they were slower but they rocked, too - it's hard to explain; the songs kept their "shape" but the momentum just kept going. I was gonna call out "Pin" and "Mercy Buckets" for special mention but "Wednesday" and "Love Like This" were equally great. It was that kind of night.

I'm not sure what the set lists have looked like at the most recent shows, but for me it was especially nice to hear old favorites "Pauline Hawkins" (the coda was pretty mind blowing) , "Mercy Buckets" and "Puttin' People on the Moon." Normally I'd mention a few songs as particular highlights but I'm not sure I can do that. The more or less "standards" all sounded fresh and the less played songs made you wonder why they aren't played more. "Hell No/Sign" was a brilliant, leave it all out there on the stage closer. As I write this, there's a little voice in the back of my head whispering "RIghteous Path, Righteous Path" so I guess I better mention that one.

All the musicians were in top form, individually and collectively. Patterson ripped off a couple of really nice solos, Cooley maintained his recent high level of playing and overall there was plenty of rock n roll guitar. Both singers were totally committed to the songs, singing with plenty of emotion and feeling. Jay, Matt and Brad consistently surprised and delighted. Jay's keys were a little lost in the mix early, at least from where I was standing, but once that was corrected he was his usual whirling dervish self between guitar and keys, only more so. Matt always manages to throw in a couple of riffs that make your ears stand up and take notice, but there were even more of those moments than usual last nite. Matt's stage affect is well known to all but he seemed to be smiling and bouncing around even more than usual. A couple of times I thought he might just levitate. I've never been able to capture just what Brad does so incredibly well but whatever it is he was doing it last nite. Stellar all the way around.

It's not like the band goes in for much in the way of stage choreography (although Patterson and Jay did do the raised, clashing guitars thing to great effect), but the 4 singers across the stage set up for "Surrender Under Protest" slays me every time.

Buttholeville/ST was dedicated to uncle rickey and cooleygirl.

In a strange footnote, the big video screen at the back was on all night, but every time I looked at it, I couldn't see anything but the colors of the spotlights that were on at that moment - literally did not see a single one of the bandmembers, the instruments, the amps, nothing. It's not like anyone needed the screen to see, it's a small place, but it was just odd.

My guess is that the show was probably a few bodies short of totally sold out but it was close and the crowd was into it from first note to last. One of the attendees was a long time fan who hasn't been to a lot of shows. She lives in PA now, but we discovered that she grew up in MA less than a half mile from where I've lived most of my adult life. Always go to the show, you never know what might happen.

And we get to do it again tonight.
Thanks Bubba
Always go to the show

phungi

Post by phungi »

Jonicont wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:21 am
Thanks Bubba
A few things:
1) I am quite sure I am among the many who thought of the good Dr when Patterson sang:

"There was something in the envelope she passed him"

2) Right after Pauline Hawkins, during which Kevin was "gobsmacked" to hear a song he had posted a request for in a FB thread, Patterson pointed at Kevin and gave a virtual fist-bump... just another example of the connection between the band and its HeAthens.

3) Amen to the notion that the slow songs didn't really slow things down... interestingly, the only "change of pace" song, for me, was GG Allin, and if that is the only noteworthy stand-out in a 2+ hour 25-song-set, you have one hell of a set.

4) These runs of songs were absolute perfection:
Birthday Boy —> The Righteous Path —> Where the Devil Don’t Stay —> Ronnie and Neil (you could include the next 4 songs in this!)

and

Sinkhole —> Uncle Frank —> Puttin’ People on the Moon —> Zip City
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Have 4 for tonight's show... will sell at cost or for future beers since it's so late. Went to Thursday & Friday night shows and they were awesome!! Sad to miss this, but got roped into birthday shindig tonight. Five six one area code, 633-6371 - shoot me a text. In Greenpoint BK, 15 minutes from venue.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LastLawson wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:24 pm
Went to Thursday & Friday night shows and they were awesome!!
Damn sorry I missed you. Athens?
phungi wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:04 am
1) I am quite sure I am among the many who thought of the good Dr when Patterson sang:

"There was something in the envelope she passed him"
I meant to say the same thing only slightly differently: "Wednesday" wasn't quite the same w/out the doc there to hear it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PSA: Don't forget the clock goes back an hour at 2 am. Any chance DBT will play an hour longer? :D Well, at the very least, more sleep for the weary.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Night 3

Slow Ride Argument
Heroin Again
Gravity’s Gone
The New Ok
Grievance Merchants
Tornadoes
A Ghost to Most
Goode’s Field Road
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Days of Graduation—>
Ronnie and Neil
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
3 Dimes Down
Grand Canyon
Women Without Whiskey
18 Wheels of Love
One of These Days
Lookout Mountain
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Why Henry Drinks
Marry Me
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Let There Be Rock*
Shut Up and Get on the Plane *
Angels and Fuselage *

*with David Barbe

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Come on, man, what am I supposed to say about THAT? The only question I have is whether it was a show that could best be appreciated by heathens/aficionados of the band, as opposed to last night, when I think any rock fan would have dug what they heard. But make no mistake about it, this show was every bit as special as last night's.

As I have said many times I really don't have the vocabulary or technical knowledge to say much about drumming, but I will say this about Brad tonight: He pounded the shit out of those skins. It was awesome.

It seemed the band set out deliberately to establish a different tone/pace to the show and the show progressed very differently from the night before. I'll leave the details until I have the set list to provide necessary reminders but one thing that became apparent as the night went on is that in some ways this show was a throwback to the days of "3 guitar madness." Many of the songs had the kind of extended instrumental guitar heavy codas that the band used to play quite often but which I haven't heard much of in recent years. Also, I kind of felt bad for the group of guys I met last night that were mostly there for the bowling and were only casual DBT fans. They told me more than once that they were there for "18 Wheels of Love" which was a favorite of their group. They didn't get it, but Patterson brought it out tonight in fine style.

Grand Canyon was played more or less mid-set and was dedicated to "my good friend jimmy c" which was a great touch, I thought, in jimmy's home town. I know his wife appreciated it.

More later.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of Jimmy's passing
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:15 am
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of Jimmy's passing
Thanks for explaining that, Doc. I didn't realize.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks for getting the setlist posted so quickly, UR. Don't know why I didn't see it last night. But I guess I'm sorry/not sorry - not sure I could have written anything intelligible at that point last night, as evidenced perhaps by not even seeing the setlist lol.

There are a lot of different ways to parse Saturday nite's show. One is that of the 27 songs there was not a single cover. I don't have the stats, but my impression is that that's pretty unusual. Siiiigh. Smitty would probably know the exact numbers. Perhaps one of the stat heads like Tyler or worldwide bill can chip in here if they care to.

The band was clearly going for something different on Saturday compared to Friday. I wouldn't say that the show started sedately or anything but the intensity was definitely dialed down a couple of notches. That 4 of the first 5 songs were new ones was presumably also part of that approach. I'm amazed at how "Heroin Again" continues to evolve and is now a solid part of the set, compared to what I thought were its weak but promising beginnings. The evolution of songs was definitely part of the theme of the evening at least from my perspective as I'll try to explain as I go along,

"Tornadoes" and "Ghost" were fine but as it turned out they were mere appetizers. The 5 song run beginning w/ "Goode's Field Road" was just incredible. GFR is another song that Patterson has played w/ over the years w/ at least several identifiable versions including the funk one. Last nite was something else altogether. I'm gonna stretch the calendar by a week and call it the Halloween version. It was spooky and shivery as hell. Very intense, very terrific. "Devil" continued in that vein and then "Days of Graduation" which is inherently spooky followed w/ a great "R&N" following. 72 is another spooky, down and dirty tune that fit right in and then came "Plastic Flowers." Patterson has played with that song a lot recently and as he mentioned he started experimenting w/ it during his lockdown attic shows. Then there was the very cool acoustic duo version that the Dimmer Twins played this past summer. Last night was more or less a full band version of the most recent arrangement but that alone made it into an almost new song. Matt's bass really drove this one home and after that intensity even 3 Dimes Down was almost a "take a breath" interlude, which is intended to say a lot about that previous run of songs and nothing negative about 3dd.

Well, the hotel's about to throw me out and then I'll be on the road for a piece, but I'll get back to this later. That 5 song run will surely be running through my head the entire way, unless it's some of the later highlights I haven't gotten to yet.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So, where was I?

I just want to repeat how overwhelming and terrifically integrated that 5 song run starting w/ "Goode's Field Road" was. I think the description I was trying to reach for earlier is "menacing," as in tough, unflinching songs that know how the world is and take it on head on. Much of the rest of the set also seemed to fit w/ that "theme" or aesthetic e.g. Grand Canyon, One of These Days, Lookout Mtn, Sinkhole.

The dedication to jimmy c made "Grand Canyon" automatically special but the band played the hell out of it, including the instrumental breaks in the middle and at the end.

How many times have I heard "Women Without Whiskey"? That's rhetorical but it's surely a lot, in the multiple hundreds at least counting all live and recorded versions. And yet last nite's version broke through completely at the "wow, this is a really great song" level. Not that I was surprised, it was more like hearing it fresh.

"When the Pin Hits the Shell" was extraordinary. Slow, mournful, beautiful, just the way it should be. Powerful, affecting, with Cooley's lyrics and vocals getting inside your head and the band providing perfect accompaniment.

"Uncle Frank" is another tune that morphs fairly frequently and Saturday nite was one of those times. I don't know how to characterize the overall sound or arrangement but the most distinguishing feature for sure was Matt playing virtually "lead bass." Gave the song a totally different sound. He reminded me of Stanley Clarke in his Return to Forever heyday; not as a matter of style or technique but in the way the bass took on a different more prominent role in the arrangement.

"Let There Be Rock" through "Angels and Fuselage" was a perfect ending, w/ everything about the show and the weekend reaching an emotional crescendo. As I said earlier, there was a LOT of guitar going on throughout the set and it was definitely evident during this final run of songs I don't know how much the band can hear from the stage but the crowd was more than merely enthusiastic in response. The new walk off after A&F seems to be the current standard w/ Hood followed by Cooley, [Barbe], Brad, Matt and Jay. I liked it. A great night.

Speaking of the crowd, it sure seemed sold out to me, though I don't know that officially (if they can actually stuff more people in there I'm not sure I want to be there for that). Again, an impressive turnout by female fans (can I call them all SHeAthens, or is that only for that specific group we all know and love?)

It was of course great to see all the usual suspects and to meet more than the usual number of old names/new faces. I was particularly impressed that both Gaetzi and Mr. B came in from CO and IL, respectively, just for the Saturday show. Great to meet Gaetzi and renew my fleeting acquaintance w/ Mr. B. I also got to spend some quality time w/ bnzz and that was just awesome. Apparently after a weekend in NYC, he was starting to think that nobody in the City is actually native to it so I was glad to disabuse him of that notion and provide a little local color. I'm sure I'm leaving one or more others out, and I apologize. I plead diminished capacity (age not alcohol).

In the miscellaneous notes category, there was a schedule for the Philly branch of the BB that listed a show called "Grateful Dead for Kids." I'm not sure I want to know what that's about. Having mentioned the video screen friday nite, I should say that on Saturday I could see something approximating human figures. The pic was actually better on some of the smaller screens I could see from my perch at the back but luckily we did not have to rely on any of them to see the stage. In case anyone else was wondering, even if you just want to bowl, you still have to buy a show ticket.

I am of course curious to hear from anyone else who wants to share their thoughts on the show(s) but I'm particularly curious what others think of the distinction I drew above between between Friday's accessible crowd pleasing show and Saturday's more esoteric show for the cognoscenti.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:33 pm

It was of course great to see all the usual suspects and to meet more than the usual number of old names/new faces. I was particularly impressed that both Gaetzi and Mr. B came in from CO and IL, respectively, just for the Saturday show. Great to meet Gaetzi and renew my fleeting acquaintance w/ Mr. B. I also got to spend some quality time w/ bnzz and that was just awesome. Apparently after a weekend in NYC, he was starting to think that nobody in the City is actually native to it so I was glad to disabuse him of that notion and provide a little local color. I'm sure I'm leaving one or more others out, and I apologize. I plead diminished capacity (age not alcohol).

Good to see you Bubba, if only for a few minutes. I was actually at the Thursday show also, part of a family vacation that we planned around these shows. Also saw a couple of broadway shows, including American Utopia (David Byrne), which was fantastic. The show was right in my sweet spot as I'm a big Talking Heads guy from back in the day, but would recommend it to anyone who loves music

Based on the reviews, it looks like I missed an epic Friday concert, but Thursday's and Saturday's were fantastic set lists in a great venue. So glad we made it for those shows. Rock on.