Dimmer Twins in Boston 7/24/21

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Dimmer Twins in Boston 7/24/21

Post by beantownbubba »

A really enjoyable, first rate show last nite by the dynamic duo made more special by it being many fans' first post Covid show (including ours) and by the excitement/enjoyment/appreciation Patterson & Cooley obviously felt about performing again.

I didn't keep a set list but I'd guesstimate that about half the setlist was the same as the NYC setlist posted by Vincent but sorry to say, I didn't make a formal list. Highlights included "Bulldozers & Dirt" with Cooley doing background vocals (not exactly harmonies) in that baritone from "Sarah's Flame." Both boys were smiling wide and finally cracked up by the song's end. "18 Wheels of Love" was another joyful one.

"The Deeper In' was a nice surprise and it was good to hear"Birthday Boy" after seeing that it had not been played the previous night. I got to hear "Club XIII" for the first time with Patterson providing a nice and wryly funny intro about "the early days."

"Thoughts and Prayers" brought the house down getting one of the largest, loudest responses of the night. It looked to me like Cooley decided to follow w/ "Ramon Casiano" because of that response, but I could be making that up. Speaking of song pairings, following "Sinkhole" with "Uncle Frank" was a really nice touch and both performances were stellar.

"Grand Canyon" is a strange opener. I love the song, I love remembering Craig and Patterson sings his heart out, but it just seems odd as a way to start a set. I assume Patterson does so to emphasize the celebratory (as opposed to the sad) aspects of the song and if that's true I get it but I'm probably overthinking it.

I was surprised that there were no t-shirts for sale but the Wes Freed poster for this "mini-tour" is great, one of my favorites. He works off a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Imotif which is a perfect fit. I had Patterson sign ours "We survived the Living Bubba" because while I can handle the song pretty well on my own, when I'm with my wife the personally meaningful way we relate to Gregory Dean Smalley's determination to do another show can get quite emotional.

Saw a bunch of folks I only know from other Boston gigs, which is always nice and everyone was so excited just to be out listening to music again. There are a large number of longtime, passionate DBT fans who are not otherwise connected to the band or the fan community through any social media, 3dd, homecoming or any of the other usual touchstones, so it's good to see those people still coming out.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Dimmer Twins in Boston 7/24/21

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm so glad that so many friends enjoyed these shows the last few days. I'm a tad bit jealous. Here’s the setlist, Bubba from someone on FB

Grand Canyon
Ghost to most
Heathens
Pulaski
The deeper in
Devil
Sinkhole
Uncle frank
Bulldozers and dirt
Gravity’s gone
Why Henry drinks
Women without whiskey
My sweet Annette
Sounds better in the song
Thoughts and prayers
Ramon Casiano
The opening act
Birthday boy
18 wheels of love

Zip city
Welcome 2 club Xiii
Marry Me
Living bubba
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Good times. Thanks Bubba
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:53 pm
Here’s the setlist, Bubba from someone on FB
Thanks.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Dimmer Twins
2021-07-24
City Winery
Boston, MA

source: SBD + Microtech Gefell M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-60D @ 24/44.1
transfer: SDHC > PC > iZotope RX 8 (gain, edits) > Wavelab 6.1 (matrix, fades) > CD Wave (track splits) > TLH (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*24bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded by vanark
transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Grand Canyon
03. A Ghost To Most
04. Heathens
05. Pulaski
06. The Deeper In
07. Where The Devil Don't Stay
08. Sink Hole
09. Uncle Frank
10. Bulldozers and Dirt
11. Gravity' s Gone
12. Why Henry Drinks
13. Women Without Whiskey
14. My Sweet Annette
15. Sounds Better in the Song
16. Thoughts and Prayers
17. Ramon Casiano
18. The Opening Act
19. Birthday Boy
20. 18 Wheels of Love

Encore:
21. Zip City
22. Banter
23. Welcome 2 Club XIII
24. Marry Me
25. The Living Bubba

Thanks to Katelyn for the board patch and to City Winery for being taper friendly.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

gordonlw wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:19 pm
Dimmer Twins
2021-07-24
City Winery
Boston, MA

source: SBD + Microtech Gefell M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-60D @ 24/44.1
transfer: SDHC > PC > iZotope RX 8 (gain, edits) > Wavelab 6.1 (matrix, fades) > CD Wave (track splits) > TLH (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*24bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded by vanark
transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording
Very Nice!
Always go to the show