Dimmer Twins at Newport

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Dimmer Twins at Newport

Post by tinnitus photography »

haven't seen any mention of this yet, and on the newport folk fest the day they are playing is listed as TBD... i am only covering the 1st session so hopefully i will get to see them.

tinnitus photography

Re: Dimmer Twins at Newport

and my wish came true.

for non-NFF peeps, they are playing City Winery in Boston on Saturday.

Since Jason will be at Newport too the previous day, i hope he sticks around and makes a quick appearance w/ Patterson and Mike.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:45 pm
for non-NFF peeps, they are playing City Winery in Boston on Saturday.
Be there or be square.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

In for tonight in NYC.

I had DBT dreams all night.

Not all that unusual.
Dave

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Vincent wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:10 am
I had DBT dreams all night.

Not all that unusual.
:D

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Any reports, pics or setlists from Newport?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

tinnitus photography

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:04 pm
i need to go through my photos and am currently writing the review of the festival, so it is forthcoming!

in the meantime, here is my selfie with Cooley after i was a fanboi punisher and asked him for a photo. I also asked him what he thought about City Winery. "It's a place."

:lol:

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:15 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
i need to go through my photos and am currently writing the review of the festival, so it is forthcoming!

in the meantime, here is my selfie with Cooley after i was a fanboi punisher and asked him for a photo. I also asked him what he thought about City Winery. "It's a place."

Bill approves your Sleep shirt.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

[ I also asked him what he thought about City Winery. "It's a place."

I don't think city winery tries to hide what it is: A place for well-heeled older folks to listen to more or less quiet music quietly. What does it mean that the Dimmer Twins fit in there perfectly? Did Cooley pass on his check? I didn't think so.

BTW, from everything I've seen and read, Newport may have the history and the cred, but I doubt anybody could distinguish between the audience there and the audience at city winery. Besides Newport hasn't been the same since 1956 (Duke Ellington) or maybe 1965 (electric Dylan and poor Pete Seeger). The former was even before I was born.

All of which is fine w/ me but can't we just give this bullshit a rest?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great photo Tinnitus
Funny comment Rod
100% truth from Bubba
If you don't run you rust

tinnitus photography

LBRod wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:22 pm
pearlbeer wrote:

Bill approves your Sleep shirt.
funny moment during the first day... some guy walked by wearing a Blood Incantation shirt, saw my Oranssi Pazuzu shirt and gave a knowing nod.

logos:

Bubba, i didn't mean to push any buttons re: City Winery and didn't realize you felt so strongly about it. for me, i'd much rather see a band in a different setting. I've only been to two shows there (Robyn Hitchcock both times) and i sat towards the back one time and just heard barware or dinnerware clinking and cans of beer opening pretty much all night long, and the other time i was up front and had to swivel my neck or body to watch the show. I get what they are going for but i'm definitely not the target demographic.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I saw the Cowboy Junkies at City Winery several years ago. Margo shushed me from the stage.
I was getting too excited about the song they were starting.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

tinnitus photography

pearlbeer wrote:
btw here is the setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dimmer-t ... f3da8.html

I really liked "Orange Clouds" and "Slow Ride Argument," hadn't heard either.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 pm
Bubba, i didn't mean to push any buttons re: City Winery and didn't realize you felt so strongly about it.
Yeah, me neither. I must have been having a moment, but still it seems a bit silly for the band to complain about the venues it picks to perform in (yes, I know it's actually their people, but for this purpose it's the same thing). I go where they send me, good, bad, inconvenient, down the street or whatever. Like going to Greenfield next month which would not make my top 500 places to see the band. Whatever.

tinnitus photography

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:20 pm
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 pm
Bubba, i didn't mean to push any buttons re: City Winery and didn't realize you felt so strongly about it.
Yeah, me neither. I must have been having a moment, but still it seems a bit silly for the band to complain about the venues it picks to perform in (yes, I know it's actually their people, but for this purpose it's the same thing). I go where they send me, good, bad, inconvenient, down the street or whatever. Like going to Greenfield next month which would not make my top 500 places to see the band. Whatever.
i don't think Mike was slamming the venue, but it did seem that it wouldn't be his first choice.

I think the perspective of a venue can be pretty different between the performer and the artist. if i was a band, i think i'd love to play at The Paradise. it's got a really intimate feel for a 1000 ppl capacity place as the stage is low, the room is wide and the balconies aren't far away.

But seeing a sold out show there is so damned uncomfortable.

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

Let me add my voice about City Winery. I really disliked the original on Varick Street. Too small and really uncomfortable. The last show I saw there was Patterson opening for John Hammond Jr. It was one of two venues that I refused to go to (Terminal 5 being the other and worst) in NYC and I average a show a week living in both NYC and South Florida in addition to traveling to see shows (I am retired).

I went to the new version of City Winery for the first time last week to see the Dimmer Twins and it was completely the opposite of the old one. Much roomier than the old one, and a lot more comfortable. Is it expensive? No more than a lot of other venues in the city. My wife and I went to the Blue Note a couple of days before seeing the Dimmer Twins and it was more expensive than City Winery.

At this point, I rather see a band at City Winery than a place like Irving Plaza.

Now Brooklyn Bowl where the Truckers will be again in November (going to two shows) is easily one of my favorite places in the country and I have been to almost every major club.