2022 Heathens Homecoming Thread - April 6, 7, 8 & 9

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chitowntrucker

Re: 2022 Heathens Homecoming Thread - April 6, 7, 8 & 9

Post by chitowntrucker »

Very excited to make it down for my first HeAthens Homecoming! Been a fan for almost 20 years now, but never had the chance to make the trip down.
While I always have espoused the always go to the show mantra, the last 2 years have reinforced that mantra! Hope to meet many of you down there. Hope to make it to the Nucis bbq on Saturday too. Any tips for a 1st timer would be greatly appreciated!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

How exciting to make your first homecoming after 20 years! That will be awesome.

If you haven't already done so you should read the Athens Primer, which is further down in this forum. Some of the specifics are out of date but still lots of useful info and a good general overview.

New homecoming traditions evolve on a regular basis. One of the best recent ones is the Friday afternoon hangout. I forget which bar it's now at but it's a great chance to meet and get to know a bunch of people in a fun setting. I don't know if the beer swap is still on but if you're a connoisseur, wannabe or just like to hang out w/ beer drinkers, it usually takes place late on Saturday afternoon after Nuci's. Fans swap craft beers from their home towns/areas. It used to be in the parking lot of the days inn which is no longer so I'm not sure where it will be if it's on.

In the not so distant past I would have encouraged you to try to meet up w/ the large Chicagoland contingent, but between those who have moved and those whose expanding families have limited their travel flexibility I'm not sure how much of the group is left. No matter: Even if it's out of your comfort zone and especially if it isn't, just introduce yourself to any likely fans you see around town (we're generally easy to spot as we don't look much like UGA students) and you'll soon have your own crew. There is always a group lining up early outside the 40 Watt so that's a pretty easily identifiable and welcoming crew.

Best advice I can give you is to pace yourself. Don't get too inebriated early in the week. If you're over 40 or maybe even 30 try to take a nap in the afternoons.

Have fun! I look forward to meeting you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

Thanks for the insights beantown! I will only be there for Fri and Sat so hoping pacing is not an issue....but you never know! I would love to check out the afternoon hang on Friday and/or the craft beer swap if that takes place. I do plan on going to the Nuci's event Sat for sure. Generally comfortable introducing myself, though sometimes not great at remembering who I met...haha. Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you too!
beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:32 am
How exciting to make your first homecoming after 20 years! That will be awesome.

If you haven't already done so you should read the Athens Primer, which is further down in this forum. Some of the specifics are out of date but still lots of useful info and a good general overview.

New homecoming traditions evolve on a regular basis. One of the best recent ones is the Friday afternoon hangout. I forget which bar it's now at but it's a great chance to meet and get to know a bunch of people in a fun setting. I don't know if the beer swap is still on but if you're a connoisseur, wannabe or just like to hang out w/ beer drinkers, it usually takes place late on Saturday afternoon after Nuci's. Fans swap craft beers from their home towns/areas. It used to be in the parking lot of the days inn which is no longer so I'm not sure where it will be if it's on.

In the not so distant past I would have encouraged you to try to meet up w/ the large Chicagoland contingent, but between those who have moved and those whose expanding families have limited their travel flexibility I'm not sure how much of the group is left. No matter: Even if it's out of your comfort zone and especially if it isn't, just introduce yourself to any likely fans you see around town (we're generally easy to spot as we don't look much like UGA students) and you'll soon have your own crew. There is always a group lining up early outside the 40 Watt so that's a pretty easily identifiable and welcoming crew.

Best advice I can give you is to pace yourself. Don't get too inebriated early in the week. If you're over 40 or maybe even 30 try to take a nap in the afternoons.

Have fun! I look forward to meeting you.

notjosephstalin

Post by notjosephstalin »

Long time no post here for me.

I blame new social media.

finally happening, first homecoming. all 4 nights.
This will beat my 3 nights of DBT in Toronto followed by a Sarah Shook and The Disarmers show the next night in Toronto. (since I was going home every night and working during the day)

Driving down from just outside of Niagara Falls Ontario.
I could drive it all in a day but I would be exhausted after about 14 hours of driving and eating drive thru.
Gonna truck camp at a State Park in West Virginia Tuesday night and then roll into Athens in time to check in.
I found a room at the best western and that seems close enough to stumble home at night.

Now I'll have to pick out my best concert t shirts. Obscure Canadian artists maybe? DOA? Gordon Lightfoot? Teenage Head?

See ya at the rockshow and at Nuci's
I tried but I could not. Stand in her way.
She stepped over me and was gone.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

notjosephstalin wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:41 pm
Now I'll have to pick out my best concert t shirts. Obscure Canadian artists maybe? DOA? Gordon Lightfoot? Teenage Head?
Yeah I was talking to worldwide bill today (at the Jay Gonzalez show) abut the importance and difficulty of picking the right t-shirts for a multi nite extravaganza. You do have one advantage by driving - you can pack more. Those of us determined not to check baggage have a lot to pack for 5 or more days :)

Safe travels!

Oh, btw for any/everyone who might be interested: I have it on good authority that the Friday afternoon hangout that used to be at Max's will be at the Cine this year (the movie theater next to the National restaurant and about 2 blocks from the 40 watt).

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

notjosephstalin wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:41 pm

See ya at the rockshow and at Nuci's
Look for me in my Tragically Hip album title maple leaf shirt. It's red; hard to miss!

I'll just echo what Bubba said (always a sensible plan): read the primer, and just walk on up to folks. My first HHC was only 2018, and while I had two "Virgils" in Uncle Rickey and Cooleygirl, it was so, so easy (for an extrovert like me) to just say "hello", and let it roll from there.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

cfwiggam

Post by cfwiggam »

Does anyone happen to have an extra hotel room or two for my group coming in on saturday? preferably walking distance to downtown/40 watt.

weird that there are basically no hotels available that weekend near downtown.

oh yeah - and by extra, i mean a room that you can transfer to me....not asking to stay in someone elses room. that would be weird.

phungi

Post by phungi »

There are currently rooms available at the Holiday Inn Express, about 2 blocks from 40-Watt.
cfwiggam wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:57 am
Does anyone happen to have an extra hotel room or two for my group coming in on saturday? preferably walking distance to downtown/40 watt.

oh yeah - and by extra, i mean a room that you can transfer to me....not asking to stay in someone elses room. that would be weird.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

cfwiggam

Post by cfwiggam »

phungi wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:59 am
There are currently rooms available at the Holiday Inn Express, about 2 blocks from 40-Watt.
cfwiggam wrote:

Thanks Ill call. Im on their site and its not showing availability.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

cfwiggam wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:12 pm
phungi wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:59 am
cfwiggam wrote:

Thanks Ill call. Im on their site and its not showing availability.
I've been grabbing AirBnBs for the past few trips to Athens. Usually some decent spots within a 1mi walk, comparable to hotel costs.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

SteveInCTNeedsADrink

Post by SteveInCTNeedsADrink »

Got one extra for Wednesday & Thursday if anybody needs a ticket. Because of the rescheduled dates my wife can only make it for Friday & Saturday. Face value of course

cfwiggam

Post by cfwiggam »

How are you people selling tickets for folks that cant attend? Mine are will call and eventbrite says no refunds.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

cfwiggam wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:48 am
How are you people selling tickets for folks that cant attend? Mine are will call and eventbrite says no refunds.
I got an email just telling me to forward the email confirmation to the other party. Which makes me a little nervous at a show I am literally traveling across the country for, considering that person could easily use BOTH of my tickets rather than just the one I intend for them. It's not a great system and it's prevented me from really trying too hard to offload them. Absent somebody materializing on here whom I trust not to screw me, I'll probably just see if there's anybody hanging around outside the 40 Watt that I can take in with me. And if I have to eat a ticket or two, well, them's the breaks I suppose. I don't talk slow, but that money's spent.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

th in sc

Post by th in sc »

[THE BEER SHARE IS ON!!!!
Thursday at 3:30 pm at the Holiday Inn Express parking lot. Bob will be there!! Looking forward to seeing some HEATHENS!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

th in sc wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:26 pm
Thursday at 3:30 pm at the Holiday Inn Express parking lot. Bob will be there!! Looking forward to seeing some HEATHENS!
I'm not a big beer drinker but I'm glad this is happening !

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The early birds have begun to gather. It's really real now...

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:55 am
The early birds have begun to gather. It's really real now...
Won't be long now. I'll be rolling into Athens on Weds afternoon.
If you don't run you rust

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

love this thread every year.

tales from the road.

reviews and pics are greatly appreciated.

rock on and be safe.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I am in Memphis today (live about an hour outside), and I am going to pick up some local beers to share.

I have an early physical on Wednesday which allows me to take a medical day, then we are rolling to Athens. Beaverdamsfinlaw and I will be picking up Graham along the way and rolling into town late Wednesday afternoon/early Wednesday evening. I’m hoping Atlanta traffic is kind to us!
beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:54 am
th in sc wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:26 pm
I'm not a big beer drinker but I'm glad this is happening !

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Watched Secret to a Happy Ending the other night in preparation for HC. Been 5+yrs since I've seen it...

It's fun to see the movie end with the question of basically....can/will this band survive? 12 years and a few Pandemics later, I think the question is answered! The Rock Show continues. Always go to the show!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams

Post by Clams »

This post is from bubba. He emailed it to me bc he's having technical issues (which he better solve bc I ain't doing this all weekend).

Flicker was already hopping by the time I arrived tonight. Not packed but definitely buzzing, take that however you want. It really truly meaningfully was great to see everyone after all the enforced isolation. Many smiles, hugs, toasts, etc. And it only gets better from here.

My first HHC story: A few wks ago I used a budget rental car agency in CO and swore never again - it was a truly awful experience. This time I just went w/ Hertz. When I arrived at the ATL rental center, Hertz literally, literally had no cars. People were lined up and taking each car as it arrived, presumably not too long after each car was returned (my car was cleaned I have to say). Cue the classic Monty Python skit: Does this rental car agency in fact actually rent any cars? Gotta say this was a new one for me.

I think given the circumstances it's fair to single out tequila cowboy: He looked absolutely great and it did my heart good to see how well his heart is doing. Really special and even though I knew he was doing fine, seeing him made a big difference to me. I feel like the home team finally won one after the unrelenting losses of the past few years.

giznad

Post by giznad »

Does anyone know what time, typically, DBT will go on for Fri & Sat? Gonna be cutting it close from Atlanta...

Also, how's the recording situation? Might bring my rig if it's not too much of a hassle.

Cheers!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

giznad wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:50 pm
Does anyone know what time, typically, DBT will go on for Fri & Sat? Gonna be cutting it close from Atlanta...

Also, how's the recording situation? Might bring my rig if it's not too much of a hassle.

Cheers!
I vaguely recall something like a 10pm (ish) walk on for Wed/Th and close to 11 for Fri Sat.

However, recollections are very hazy and I'm not getting any younger. Cole is. He is getting Younger. I hope I see Cole.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Does anyone know if tonight will be streamed by Gordon or anyone else?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Fuckin woodduck is working the bar

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I almost feel as if I could wax BTB-style eloquent, but my eyelids are starting to droop! I can’t stop smiling! Thank y’all for being who you are!!!

I shouldn’t start naming names, but I met Mundane Maham!!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From Bubba, who is experiencing technical difficulties

Night 1

First and foremost, the Wood duck was in the house, working the tiki bar. Those of you who remember back to his days on this site will probably understand just how heartwarming and wonderful that is.
The 40 Watt apparently took advantage of the shut down for a facelift. The place looked great and was much more comfortable (of course it was the Wednesday version of “sold out” so we’ll see how it feels by Saturday but so far so good). The only negative is that the coat check has been eliminated but on the flip side there were a few more seats, greatly appreciated by all.
As has been observed often by many people in many places, the music is a big part of homecoming but not the only part. Given the long lay off and the cancellations and postponements, “the gathering of the tribe” aspect clearly had very special meaning for so many attendees and that made the day, and will make the week, extra special. I think that all members of the Heathen community feel that something extra and it feels great.
There was also a rock show. Jay Gonzalez and the Guilty Pleasures started things off with an excellent set much improved over the already very good show I saw just a couple of weeks ago. I also learned that the drummer named Matt is Matt Lane, original DBT drummer.
Comedian Drew Morgan was a late addition to the bill. He was pretty funny and he handled the less than fully bought in crowd masterfully but I just don’t get the idea of a comedian at a rock show. It obviously matters to Patterson, so so be it. At least Morgan was funny.
DBT were very good but seemed to me to be pacing themselves. The set didn’t really hang together, the early songs were kind of ballsy choices in that they weren’t rockin’ crowd pleasers but they didn’t grab the crowd from the first note. OTOH, Adam Raised a Cain” in the third slot proved once again that Patterson is a top notch Springsteen interpreter, even though most people I spoke to thought it was a bit early in the set to break out that kind of classic. The band clearly wanted to introduce many of the the new songs and they did. They sounded pretty good but were obviously less familiar to the audience than the usual suspects which affected the pacing and momentum of the show.
One thing I leared is that if you want to freshen up your catalog, don’t play it for a couple of years. As much as I love the classics, I have to admit that they benefitted from some time off. Not coincidentally the show really took off with “Marry Me.” When Patterson started “Buttholeville” I was thinking “wow! 2 springsteen covers” (i.e. “State Trooper” in addition to “Adam”). But the band went in an entirely new and different direction, a very funky jam that while not literally similar to the best of Chick Corea and Return to Forever very much reminded me of that band at its best. That’s meant as very high praise however inexact the analogy may be. Speaking of bass players (Stanley Clarke/Matt Patton), Matt’s version of “KKK” was fantastic. High energy but somehow less punky and more “musical” than the way the band usually approaches it.
Cooley played both “Ramon Casiano” and “Surrender Under Protest.” IIRC, pre-covid he pretty much played one or the other but not both. I love both songs so I was very happy to hear them both. Jay played a lot of keys early but ripped off a couple of ear catching solos late. David Barbe joined the band on guitar on the closing “World of Hurt.”
I’m writing this at 2 am after returning from the show, but my IP address from the hotel is still “blacklisted” on 3dd. I’m not sure exactly what that means but I do know it means I can’t post. I’m hoping that one of the people I’m going to send this to will post it. Perhaps I’ll post more in the morning. Bottom line, a very good show gratefully embraced by a hungry and enthusiastic audience but it seemed pretty clear that it was intended as the “table setter” for the weekend so it seems we have a lot to look forward to.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

scotto

Post by scotto »

Agree with the above on all counts. A lot of highs, a few rough spots, some nice surprises, some old favorites. Great to see everyone I saw and looking forward to seeing more. And to three more mutherfuckin nights of this.
A minor quibble: Did the sound not seem quite as loud and clear as it usually is or is that just my old-man ears letting me down?
Cheers, y'all.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Clams wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:31 pm
Fuckin woodduck is working the bar
Best thing I've read so far, but then nobody has posted a set list.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!