2022 Heathens Homecoming Thread - April 6, 7, 8 & 9

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: 2022 Heathens Homecoming Thread - Jan 12 13 14 15

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

wordmeester wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:37 pm
Latest roll call?
I hadn't added myself, so I will, and a couple of folks on here are rethinking:

1. Clams and Mrs Clams
2. Mundane Mayhem
3. RolanK
4. Beantownbubba
5. Tyler
6. ilockyer
7. pearlbeer
8. Beaverdamsfinlaw
9. Beaverdam
10. schlanky
11. Scorchy
12. Sterling Bigmouth + Miss Bigmouth
13. Flea
14. Slipkid42
15. Bill in CT
16. phungi
17. Ruffian86
18. Zip Up to Michigan +3
19. Ramonz
20. scotto
21. uncle rickey
22. CooleyGirl
23. glennrwordman
24. Brett27295 + Tracy
25. One Belt Loop
26. Headhunter
27. Allisonsdc
28. John A Arkansawyer
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:42 pm
wordmeester wrote:
Latest roll call?

1. Clams and Mrs Clams
2. Mundane Mayhem
3. RolanK
4. Beantownbubba
5. Tyler
6. ilockyer
7. pearlbeer
8. Beaverdamsfinlaw
9. Beaverdam
10. schlanky
11. Scorchy
13. Flea
14. Slipkid42
15. Bill in CT
16. phungi
17. Ruffian86
19. Ramonz
20. scotto
21. uncle rickey
22. CooleyGirl
23. glennrwordman
24. Brett27295 + Tracy
25. One Belt Loop
26. Headhunter
27. Allisonsdc
28. John A Arkansawyer
Yeah, lots of NYE show cancellations are rolling in. I’m not permitting myself to think about that right now. It’s just such a bummer that we’re back here again.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:23 am
Any friend of Richard Buckner's...D & D is one of my Top Ten records.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

A little reminder to myself to keep better track of time:

And something a little better for you:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I avoided and avoided and procrastinated and postponed and dithered and avoided some more but I finally had to face the facts. And after giving it as much thought and consideration as I can manage, I'm out and I'm crushed. I hope those of you who decide otherwise have a great time
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:35 am
I avoided and avoided and procrastinated and postponed and dithered and avoided some more but I finally had to face the facts. And after giving it as much thought and consideration as I can manage, I'm out and I'm crushed. I hope those of you who decide otherwise have a great time
It's such a tough one. I have the benefit of some more time because we are traveling to visit family in the area before Homecoming, so the travel part is happening regardless.

My current thinking, subject to change as we learn more in the coming days and weeks:

1. There's probably no avoiding exposure to omicron.
2. My risk as a vaccinated and boosted person is very low.
3. This doesn't, of course, absolve me of my responsibility to try to cut down on spread, especially given what we are seeing regarding young kids and omicron. BUT...about that...
4. See 1.

It's fatalistic, but it seems we're going to have to make the transition to living with/alongside some degree of endemic COVID-19 for the foreseeable future. The CDC cutting isolation/quarantine times amid a huge surge only reinforces that reality, even if they aren't exactly putting it in those terms. If that is the case, I guess I have a selfish reason to start making that mental adjustment now as opposed to later. Unless and until the band and the 40 Watt decide the risk is unacceptably high, I'll plan--tentatively--on sticking to the script.

It breaks my heart that the locked COVID thread is now, by necessity, resurfacing here. What a world.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

If they're going to cancel Homecoming, it'd be nice to know ASAP. People travel long distances for this event. We can't get a full refund on our AirBNB after the 6th. I'm sure lots of folks are in similar boats with lodging accommodations.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:24 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
It's such a tough one. I have the benefit of some more time because we are traveling to visit family in the area before Homecoming, so the travel part is happening regardless.

My current thinking, subject to change as we learn more in the coming days and weeks:

1. There's probably no avoiding exposure to omicron.
2. My risk as a vaccinated and boosted person is very low.
3. This doesn't, of course, absolve me of my responsibility to try to cut down on spread, especially given what we are seeing regarding young kids and omicron. BUT...about that...
4. See 1.

It's fatalistic, but it seems we're going to have to make the transition to living with/alongside some degree of endemic COVID-19 for the foreseeable future. The CDC cutting isolation/quarantine times amid a huge surge only reinforces that reality, even if they aren't exactly putting it in those terms. If that is the case, I guess I have a selfish reason to start making that mental adjustment now as opposed to later. Unless and until the band and the 40 Watt decide the risk is unacceptably high, I'll plan--tentatively--on sticking to the script.

It breaks my heart that the locked COVID thread is now, by necessity, resurfacing here. What a world.
My analysis is not dissimilar. I think we all have to assume exposure to covid, especially in its omicron form, is a given. The question is what happens next, along 2 axes: (1) How likely is it that exposure leads to infection and how serious is that infection likely to be; and (2) how to balance that calculation with the need to lead some kind of actual life, i.e. not only how to balance the risks and rewards of specific choices but also the general nature of risks weighed against the value of everyday life. I think the seriousness of potential infection is one of the most difficult parts of the current iteration of the crisis to understand; I find it very confusing and I have very little confidence in what I do hear/read.

The factors that weigh most heavily for me on this one are: (1) my personal risk factors; (2) the 40 Watt being exactly the kind of place high on the list of types of places to avoid; (3) #2 x 4 nites; (4) the additional exposure risk of flying (obviously not a factor for you and for others w/in driving distance); (5) the already high incidence of people leaving pre-covid homecomings w/ a virus just because of close contact, mixing of different geographies and the wear and tear of 3 nites, now 4; and (6) the impact of likely exposure and semi likely infection on post homecoming activities because of the potential for isolation, quarantine and/or actual illness as well as the impact of those factors on other people, e.g. my wife. I think going to homecoming is a reasonable choice especially if one concludes that the likelihood of serious symptoms (as opposed to "it's just like a cold") is small; it's a matter of personal comfort and balancing factors that have different weight for different people.

And yeah, it sucks a whole hell of a lot that we're still talking about and having to make decisions in response to COVID all these months (now years!) later.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:11 pm
If they're going to cancel Homecoming, it'd be nice to know ASAP. People travel long distances for this event. We can't get a full refund on our AirBNB after the 6th. I'm sure lots of folks are in similar boats with lodging accommodations.
I have no insight into what the band and/or the 40 Watt may decide but I am sure that they are very much aware of the timing and overall logistical issues facing attendees.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:17 pm
I think going to homecoming is a reasonable choice especially if one concludes that the likelihood of serious symptoms (as opposed to "it's just like a cold") is small; it's a matter of personal comfort and balancing factors that have different weight for different people.
Yep, spot on across the board, and this sentence is basically what it all comes down to. I'm 35, childless, and my wife will be with me in Athens so we just have to assume that we will become exposed and potentially infected as a unit.

I do find myself thinking of nightmare scenarios, e.g., if we get infected on Wednesday night and become symptomatic prior to our flight home on Sunday, what then? All things that can be solved with remote work and money, but wildly inconvenient nonetheless.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Good timing: I just saw this in Jennifer Rubin's WaPo column proposing "resolutions" for politicians, the media and other thought leaders:

"Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, made a critical point in an appearance on ABC News’s “This Week” on Sunday: Because many infections are occurring among vaccinated people, most cases are mild. As a result, Jha said, “I no longer think infections generally should be the major metric. Obviously, we can continue to track infections among unvaccinated people because those people will end up in the hospital at the same rate, but we really have to focus on hospitalizations and deaths now.” In other words, just as we do not track mild illnesses such as colds or non-life-threatening flus, we should not freak out — or rearrange our lives — when covid-19 cases surge, so long as hospitalizations and deaths remain low. Given that perspective, many more Americans once vaccinated and boosted should feel much more comfortable going about their lives. As for the unvaccinated, they’re endangering themselves and will bear the consequences of childish defiance."

(I'm about to post another quote from this column in the politics thread.)

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:49 pm
Good timing: I just saw this in Jennifer Rubin's WaPo column proposing "resolutions" for politicians, the media and other thought leaders:

"Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, made a critical point in an appearance on ABC News’s “This Week” on Sunday: Because many infections are occurring among vaccinated people, most cases are mild. As a result, Jha said, “I no longer think infections generally should be the major metric. Obviously, we can continue to track infections among unvaccinated people because those people will end up in the hospital at the same rate, but we really have to focus on hospitalizations and deaths now.” In other words, just as we do not track mild illnesses such as colds or non-life-threatening flus, we should not freak out — or rearrange our lives — when covid-19 cases surge, so long as hospitalizations and deaths remain low. Given that perspective, many more Americans once vaccinated and boosted should feel much more comfortable going about their lives. As for the unvaccinated, they’re endangering themselves and will bear the consequences of childish defiance."

(I'm about to post another quote from this column in the politics thread.)

This has been my MO for several months.
Now it's dark.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

glennrwordman wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:43 am
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:23 am
Any friend of Richard Buckner's...D & D is one of my Top Ten records.
Ah, a man of culture, I see. It is so good! Bloomed not far behind.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:17 pm
...(2) the 40 Watt being exactly the kind of place high on the list of types of places to avoid; (3) #2 x 4 nites...(5) the already high incidence of people leaving pre-covid homecomings w/ a virus just because of close contact, mixing of different geographies and the wear and tear of 3 nites, ....and (6) the impact of likely exposure and semi likely infection on post homecoming activities because of the potential for isolation, quarantine and/or actual illness as well as the impact of those factors on other people
Those are the kinds of things going through my head right now. And reading news stories about Atlanta's/Georgia's huge increase that's likely going to be worse after New Year's isn't helping.

I work at a small company and we just had a key employee leave. I'm second at the company experience-wise, and there is a large gap between me and the next folks. Missing three days to go is doable, but not ideal. Missing the next week after that if I end up with COVID (again) or even just the standard Kindergartener's Disease would be a big problem. The correct call is to sit this one out. But I really really really want to go.

Ticket money is already spent. I luckily don't have plane tickets to consider, and the hotel is refundable up to a couple of days out, so I guess I'm just gonna keep watching and thinking.

===
On a somewhat unrelated topic, I'm hoping DBT will sell the Barbe Mix of the Homecoming shows. The last few years of HC show recordings that they released a while back are fantastic. I'm hoping the Barbe Mix of Rock Shows will be the norm going forward for select shows and multiple-night runs.
Let the outside air in

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Ugh, seems like a decent chance this gets cancelled. Looks like GA just set a record today (along with the US) of positive cases. ...and I thought my pile of cancelled concert tickets was a thing of the past...

On a more positive ---wait that isn't a good word anymore--- On a ?happier? note, I noticed on the 40 Watt site that the upcoming Cracker "homecoming" event is selling THREE DAY PASSES! Hope we can get Homecoming to move to this model next year.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:54 pm
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:42 pm
wordmeester wrote:
Latest roll call?

1. Clams and Mrs Clams
2. Mundane Mayhem
3. RolanK
4. Beantownbubba
5. Tyler
6. ilockyer
7. pearlbeer
8. Beaverdamsfinlaw
9. Beaverdam
10. schlanky
11. Scorchy
13. Flea
14. Slipkid42
15. Bill in CT
16. phungi
17. Ruffian86
19. Ramonz
20. scotto
21. uncle rickey
22. CooleyGirl
23. glennrwordman
24. Brett27295 + Tracy
25. One Belt Loop
26. Headhunter
27. Allisonsdc
28. John A Arkansawyer
29. Sactochris
Yeah, lots of NYE show cancellations are rolling in. I’m not permitting myself to think about that right now. It’s just such a bummer that we’re back here again.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sorry to hear that, but totally understand. As of now, I still plan on going unless the band, venue, airline, or international cabal of pedophile scientists cancel it.
Looking forward to seeing those of you who decide to attend.

ThatSweetSoulMusic

Post by ThatSweetSoulMusic »

Hope I don’t jinx the whole thing by adding me and my lady to the list but here goes. - Dave A

1. Clams and Mrs Clams
2. Mundane Mayhem
3. RolanK
4. Beantownbubba
5. Tyler
6. ilockyer
7. pearlbeer
8. Beaverdamsfinlaw
9. Beaverdam
10. schlanky
11. Scorchy
13. Flea
14. Slipkid42
15. Bill in CT
16. phungi
17. Ruffian86
19. Ramonz
20. scotto
21. uncle rickey
22. CooleyGirl
23. glennrwordman
24. Brett27295 + Tracy
25. One Belt Loop
26. Headhunter
27. Allisonsdc
28. John A Arkansawyer
29. Sactochris
30. That Sweet Soul Music & Lorry

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

I'm in as of now but I don't know if that stance is going to last the week. Still hoping they reschedule. It will suck but it just seems like a bad idea right now to hold it as planned. I got my booster back in August. I just don't know how much juice that has left in it.

1. Clams and Mrs Clams
2. Mundane Mayhem
3. RolanK
4. Beantownbubba
5. Tyler
6. ilockyer
7. pearlbeer
8. Beaverdamsfinlaw
9. Beaverdam
10. schlanky
11. Scorchy
13. Flea
14. Slipkid42
15. Bill in CT
16. phungi
17. Ruffian86
19. Ramonz
20. scotto
21. uncle rickey
22. CooleyGirl
23. glennrwordman
24. Brett27295 + Tracy
25. One Belt Loop
26. Headhunter
27. Allisonsdc
28. John A Arkansawyer
29. Sactochris
30. That Sweet Soul Music & Lorry
31. BostonReb
Send lawyers, guns and money....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

From the mayor of my city. This seems consistent with what I'm reading and hearing:

"You may notice this week that we're switched the order of how we're reporting Newton’s COVID data. Instead of first reporting the number of cases as I have since the pandemic began, We're starting by focusing on the number of people who require hospital care and the number of people who died with the virus.

This is an intentional shift. We're following the lead of Newton resident Dr. Ashish Jha, an infectious disease expert and member of the Newton School Medical Advisory Board. He explained recently that prior to having vaccines, as case numbers went up, we inevitably saw the number of hospitalizations and deaths soon rise as well.

What we’re seeing now is that for those of us who are vaccinated, and particularly boosted, we may get infected, but are unlikely to get seriously ill. As Dr. Jha said, “It might be a couple days of not feeling so great, but you’re gonna bounce back. That’s very different than what we have seen in the past.”

Another Newtonian, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky, said this morning that the seven-day rolling average of new cases in the United States is about 240,000, up by 60% from last week, while hospitalizations rose by just 14%. She also noted that Omicron appears to be causing milder symptoms, especially in those who are vaccinated.

In a community like ours where the overwhelming majority (95%) of people are vaccinated, we can see that the high number of new cases is thankfully not reflected in a dramatic rise in COVID hospitalizations or deaths."

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:41 pm
From the mayor of my city. This seems consistent with what I'm reading and hearing:

"You may notice this week that we're switched the order of how we're reporting Newton’s COVID data. Instead of first reporting the number of cases as I have since the pandemic began, We're starting by focusing on the number of people who require hospital care and the number of people who died with the virus.

This is an intentional shift. We're following the lead of Newton resident Dr. Ashish Jha, an infectious disease expert and member of the Newton School Medical Advisory Board. He explained recently that prior to having vaccines, as case numbers went up, we inevitably saw the number of hospitalizations and deaths soon rise as well.

What we’re seeing now is that for those of us who are vaccinated, and particularly boosted, we may get infected, but are unlikely to get seriously ill. As Dr. Jha said, “It might be a couple days of not feeling so great, but you’re gonna bounce back. That’s very different than what we have seen in the past.”

Another Newtonian, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky, said this morning that the seven-day rolling average of new cases in the United States is about 240,000, up by 60% from last week, while hospitalizations rose by just 14%. She also noted that Omicron appears to be causing milder symptoms, especially in those who are vaccinated.

In a community like ours where the overwhelming majority (95%) of people are vaccinated, we can see that the high number of new cases is thankfully not reflected in a dramatic rise in COVID hospitalizations or deaths."
i think this way of reporting is WAY overdue, personally.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Well, there it is. Rescheduled to April 6–9.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Time to reset the clock
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Booked a hotel room for 4/8 & 4/9. Not a sure thing by any means but there now is a chance that our respective HC streaks (Beth 2008, me 2009) will continue. We will see.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:37 pm
Booked a hotel room for 4/8 & 4/9. Not a sure thing by any means but there now is a chance that our respective HC streaks (Beth 2008, me 2009) will continue. We will see.
This was my second thought when I heard the new dates. Doing a happy dance here.