2022 Heathens Homecoming Thread - April 6, 7, 8 & 9

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: 2022 Heathens Homecoming Thread - April 6, 7, 8 & 9

Post by Zip City »

Swamp wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:53 pm
Clams wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:31 pm
Fuckin woodduck is working the bar
Best thing I've read so far, but then nobody has posted a set list.
That's because they all post on FB and don't come here anymore
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

It’s on Setlist FM.

Nice to see Adam Raised a Cain and Primer Coat. I do believe that’s the first Primer Coat since the English Oceans Tour.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Per Tyler on FB. I’ll add that he killed it on Grand Canyon

40 Watt
Athens, GA
4/7/22

Start: 11:08

Birthday Boy
Righteous Path
Filthy and Fried
Shake and Pine
Shit Shots Count
Lookout Mountain
Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary With A Bible and a Gun
Slow Ride Argument
Billy Ringo in the Dark
When The Pin Hits The Shell
Do It Yourself
Where The Devil Don’t Stay
Tornadoes
Kinky Hypocrite
Mercy Buckets
Women Without Whiskey
Bulldozers and Dirt
Plastic Flowers on the Highway
Welcome 2 Club XIII
The Driver
Marry Me (David Barbe, guitar)
Grand Canyon (David Barbe, Tyler Eaves, guitars)

End: 1:14AM
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From Bubba

Once again thanks in advance to my friends who post this for me. And thanks to Tyler and TC for the setlist, but it’s missing “Every Single Storied Flameout.”

PSA: Start saving your pennies and nickels right now boys and girls ‘cause you are definitely going to want to buy the DVD of this show when the next Nuci’s fund raiser comes around.

Yeah, TC, Tyler got a chance to stretch out a little bit and definitely shredded it! I guess if there’s a sixth Trucker it’s Barbe, but if Tyler keeps this up he’s gonna be the 7th.

This is a fan site for a somewhat cultish band. People attracted to sites like this tend to be passionate and a bit on the obsessive side. Sometimes it can fairly be said that this passionate obsession leads to overanalysis, though of course I have never done that. But sometimes a rock show is “just” a rock show. “Just” in quotes because I mean “simply,” not “merely.” Sometimes you just wanna stand back and let the music wash over you and move you and experience the sheer joy and communal spirit of music making at its best. That was night two of HHC 2022. A great show by a great band at the top of its game.

There were no issues of pacing, momentum, intent or anything else. The new songs fit like they belonged and the show flowed from beginning to end. Mention must be made of the rhythm section. I don’t know if you’d call the groove more Memphis or Muscle Shoals but when they locked into it, it was a beautiful thing. Matt was particularly amazing on “Shit Shots Count” and “Lookout Mountain.”

The difference between the Wednesday and Thursday shows was particularly apparent on songs played both nights. For example, “Every Single Storied Flameout” was everything it should be and a significantly, noticeably improved version compared to Wednesday’s rendition.

“Do It Yourself” was re-worked to the extent that I didn’t even recognize the intro. Believe it or not it is now a big time rocker. I thought it was terrific. For the first time in a long time, there was a classic Cooley moment when he forgot the words during “Women Without Whiskey” and was guided back on course by the audience. Afterwards he said that it was like “JJ messing up on Dyn-o-mite.” 😊 “Kinky Hypocrite’s” lineage was made clear by a “Honky Tonk Women”-like intro. More cowbell!

A great night of great music.

Forgot to mention yesterday the welcome inclusion of “Primer Coat” on night one. Love that song.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Setlist was also missing 3DD.

A quick look shows 44 unique songs out of the 51 played at this halfway point. Even better is 7 of these are from the new album, which is shaping up to be very good indeed.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I will deny ever having said this, but Clams is a genius. I can now make my own posts. Thanks TC and clams for covering me.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

First, thanks to all of you who are here. I’ve never used FB and don’t want to start now.

“Groove” is absolutely the correct term to describe the show.

Birthday Boy out of the gate was nice for me. I enjoyed Glenn’s writeup about Every Single… in which he mentioned listening to it on repeat. I was that way about Birthday Boy, another analysis of a woman in full courtesy of Mike Cooley. How does he know us so well? All that time spent wearing a dress at Club XIII?

Very excited about the upcoming album. Billy Ringo in the Dark hit me emotionally but I’m not sure why yet, need to get a better look at the lyrics.

When the Pin Hits the Shell – wow. Cooley’s delivery sounded as if he just found out about his friend’s suicide a couple of minutes before he hit the stage. Very impactful and motivates me to dig deeper when giving to Nuci’s.

Jay’s keys on Women Without Whiskey – hell, I forgot where we were in the song too. Absolute privilege to hear him tear it up.

Sound quality was exceptional from my location, slightly right of center, probably a quarter of the way back.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

The local newspaper has some photos online. You may recognize a few folks:
https://www.onlineathens.com/picture-ga ... 497419002/

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

One more thought and then I’ll shut up: I was fully prepared to dislike new Plastic Flowers but dang if I don’t like it equally well. I need both in my life and then I can choose based upon my mood. Some days are melancholy Plastic Flowers days and some are sinister Plastic Flowers days.

phungi

Post by phungi »

litdimly wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:59 am
One more thought and then I’ll shut up: I was fully prepared to dislike new Plastic Flowers but dang if I don’t like it equally well. I need both in my life and then I can choose based upon my mood. Some days are melancholy Plastic Flowers days and some are sinister Plastic Flowers days.
While Night 1 provided the “tightest” Buttholeville, Night 2 delivered the tightest Plastic Flowers…
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

11:15 start time? Don’t they know that the average age of their audience is 57? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:58 pm
11:15 start time? Don’t they know that the average age of their audience is 57? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like any cult you gotta prove that you want it, man.

At least on the school nights a noticeable number of people left by 12:30. There's always a few of those but I suspect it will be very few the next 2 nites.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Ain’t that the truth, zc!

Today at the Cine gathering I suggested to Lurleen that next year the 3DD group should offer up foot massages with profits for Nuccis. I would pay pretty good money for someone to rub my feet for a while!!!!
Zip City wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:58 pm
Last edited by Beaverdam on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Before the original HHC date there had been talk of offering seated massages at nuci’s. I don’t know what happened to that idea, which I enthusiastically support.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The Motrik guitarist had cut his finer and is continuing to play with blood on the guitar.

I don’t get much more rock n roll than that!!!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

And if I don’t talk to Beantownbubba soon, I may cry!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:30 pm
And if I don’t talk to Beantownbubba soon, I may cry!
I love you too, man. Seriously, glad we finally connected!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

For me, Friday nite of homecoming wkend is always "Craig's nite" so I just want to take a moment and raise a metaphorical glass and a smile for the inimitable and sorely missed Craig Lieske.
beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:20 pm
At least on the school nights a noticeable number of people left by 12:30. There's always a few of those but I suspect it will be very few the next 2 nites.
I can't swear that literally nobody left early tonite but it was pretty close to zero.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Our mantra is "always go to the show." Why? Because you're virtually guaranteed to have a good time, you might well see/hear something you've never seen before and you just might stumble into one of those truly transcendent, very special DBT nights. Tonight was more than a special moment, perhaps a tad less than transcendent but still the phrase that comes to mind is "practically perfect." A terrific show from beginning to end and the audience ate it up. They were literally dancing in the "aisles" by "Shut Your Mouth."

As I said, any night could be one of those transcendent DBT performances but if the show opens w/ "Living Bubba" or "Lookout Mountain" that's very often a sign that the night will be special. Tonight started w/ "Living Bubba" and it was certainly a special night.

There are many versions in the world of rock, blues and jazz of musicians retreating to the "woodshed" to hone their craft. I feel like the covid enforced break sent all the Truckers to the woodshed. Individually and collectively they have never sounded better or more virtuosic. Matt Patton's playing is off the charts, EZB remains EZB only better, Jay shredded some incredible solos on guitar tonight and of course his playing on organ and piano is always spot on. While instrumental virtuosity is not either Patterson's or Cooley's calling card, I think it's fair to say that they both have improved as players (and singers for that matter). Many of Cooley's solos wandered fairly fair from the standard blues-rock range in many different directions, stretching his and the band's sound considerably. Cooley also contributed some beautiful harmonica on "A&F." Claire (whose last name was not mentioned but which I'm sure I should know) played some eerily beautiful saw on "A&F."

Several people said to me that they thought tonight's version of "Goode's Field Road" was the best ever. It was certainly terrific. Based on the funk arrangement that the band has mostly used in recent years, it was further stripped down to its essence and was funky, mean and sinister. "Putting People on the Moon" had a similar sort of mean and sinister feel and was excellent.

The "rockin out" portion of the show was mostly concentrated in the middle of the set. I'll probably say more about it when I see the set list, but I can certainly say that the band was in absolutely top form and kicked some serious rock n roll ass. Jay's guitar playing during this run was fabulous w/ several knock out solos.

The band proved once again that "Play It All Night Long" is the best DBT song not written by Hood or Cooley. Damn, they nailed that sucker and once again that mean or sinister edge was prominent.

Over the course of the first 3 nights the band has used the "4 singers across the stage" arrangement on multiple songs. I always love when they do that and while it was previously limited to "Surrender Under Protest" and "KKK," they broke it out a few times this week and it's always very powerful.

I know I'm leaving some stuff out but hopefully the brain cells will be refreshed by some sleep and a look at the set list.

BTW I did not see the opening acts last nite or tonite so obviously can't comment on them. But the general sense I got was that Pilgrim was very good last nite (the lead guitarist whose name I unfortunately don't remember drew absolute raves), the camp amp band met or exceeded the previously laid down high standard for "the kids" and Motrik, which was mostly an unknown quantity to most of the crowd delighted and impressed w/ a techno based set.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

On the hunt for a few tix for tonight.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Camp Amped rocked last night and covered Decoration Day; I noticed Patterson smiling like a Cheshire Cat during the song!

Motrik was really enjoyable. I got not a single decipherable lyric, but the vibe was amazing. The Motrik guitarist cut his finger while playing; he was playing a white guitar that had blood all over it; that was one of the most rock n’ roll things I’ve ever witnessed. Then, I moved to the back of the room and enjoyed DBT from that perspective. My feet enjoyed me leaning against the wall.

I feel like I’m channeling my inner Forrest, but last night, “I got to see BUBBA!”

Let’s do it again tonight y’all!

I’m in the room right not resting after an am workout, and Bryan is watching a movie and a character discussed what he would do if he had all of the money in the world; I thought to myself, if I found myself with all the money in the world, I would be in ATHENS, GEORGIA, right now doing exactly what I’m doing!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:38 am
On the hunt for a few tix for tonight.
Have you seen the most recent post in the tickets thread?

Frog Man

Post by Frog Man »

Anyone know how the coat check works at 40 watt? Free? Cash only? Thanks

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Frog Man wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:11 pm
Anyone know how the coat check works at 40 watt? Free? Cash only? Thanks
Pre-covid, the coat check was in a designated area, was staffed, and charged a small fee payable in cash. Currently there is no permanent coat check area and there was no coat check on Wed & Thurs. Presumably in response to the falling temps, on Friday there was a wheeled metal rack placed just to the left of the doors as one comes into the club. I didn't use it so I don't know the details. As I walked by I did not see any dedicated personnel which made me think that it's free, but I could have just missed them as I wasn't focused on that detail.

Why there is a need for a coat rack in Athens GA in the second week in April is a different question but at least the sun is shining at this moment.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I stood beside the coat rack for a while tonight and offered to take tips!

Honestly I can’t believe so much fun was packed into a weekend. I will miss you until I see you again!!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Holy Fuckballs! HOLY FUCKBALLS! HOLY FUCKING FUCKBALLS!!!!

I'm a greedy motherfucker. I lean in the direction that no concert shorter than 3 hours can be considered truly great, truly legendary. But then the Drive By Motherfucking Truckers played about 2 hours and 15 minutes and blew me completely away. i don't want to get into a debate of shades of greatness. I don't know if this was the best show I've ever seen or top 5 or top 10 or whatever. What I do know is that it was fucking fantastic.

Back in the day I used to have the bubba scale, which was how many songs did it take until i felt that I had got my money's worth. Tonight that's an easy call. "Slow Ride Argument" was excellent, possibly the definitive version. The 3 new ones that followed were still a bit unfamiliar but fell somewhere between very good and great (no easy feat for new ones no matter what artist we're talking about). In particular, "Driver" is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Then came "When the Pin Hits the Shell" which just destroyed me; as close as I have come to crying at a rock concert other than a couple of songs that are particularly meaningful to me since they connect me to my son's death. Possibly the best version I've ever heard. Emotional and all encompassing. I was already beside myself. So I can easily justify 5 as the Bubba scale number. But then came the new arrangement of "Do It Yourself," which I loved the first time I heard it, but this one was even better... stupendous. So 6 songs in I was already happy to consider whatever came next as just gravy. And if that's gravy, give me more!

A terrific show in every respect. Not a false note, not a drop in intensity, not a single thing to tweak much less complain about. There was multiple guitar madness (as many as 6 by "People Who Died"), there were harmonies, there was an unending succession of crowd favorite songs, there were sing alongs, there was that magic moment when the band stokes the crowd and the crowd stoke the band in an incredible virtuous loop. I may be reminded of a couple of more comments I'd like to make when I see the set list, but the set list was kind of irrelevant. Everything the band played was magic. Everything worked. Everything fit together into a fantastic whole.

An indescribably wonderful culmination of a great week (long weekend? Whatever). At this precise moment I can't think of a single song that wasn't a highlight as much as that may be a nullity (i.e. if every song is a highlight than none are).

The band was truly on fire. Really. As I've said all week, they've audibly upped their musical game and I do not believe the band has ever sounded better. Matt's bass and Jay's guitar have elevated close to that place where gravity is completely gone. I was definitely floating for 2+ hours. And the people were great. There's never enough time to spend with all the people that one wants to see, but 4 nights is obviously better/easier in that regard than 3.

And not in any way a by the way, we raised SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for Nuci's Space.

How many days until homecomiing?

Word to the wise: Always go to the show.

David Lowery and the Georgia based version of Cracker had the crowd on board and eating out of his hand from the first note. Other than a brief loss of momentum about 2/3 of the way through their set, they put on an excellent show. The crowd was totally into it and very appreciative and responsive. Patterson played/sang on one song.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Thank you for your write-ups Bubba! They are truly the next best thing to being there.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Bubba has spoken! I have nothing to add. Thanks to everyone involved in making this whole thing a truly magical experience.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

scotto

Post by scotto »

I'll second all the superlatives already uttered. Great writeup, Bubba.
Question: Has any other DBT show ever featured a Status Quo cover among opener/band sets? Great cover of "Matchstick Men." I was talking with Stephen Deusner after the opener and mentioned the Quo cover and he offered that the song was about painter Laurence Lowry and sung by David Lowery--the things rock journalists ponder. Loved chatting with him over the week--great guy.
I always loved "Do It Yourself" and am glad to see it get dusted off and beefed up.
Love the new arrangement of "Plastic Flowers" and makes me want a gussied-up remaster, etc., of SRO even more. (Or maybe just rerecord that whole album in proper DBT order with the Jay/Matt lineup?)
What a time. So glad to see you again or meet you for the first time.

Flea

Post by Flea »

scotto wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:36 am
I'll second all the superlatives already uttered. Great writeup, Bubba.
Question: Has any other DBT show ever featured a Status Quo cover among opener/band sets? Great cover of "Matchstick Men." I was talking with Stephen Deusner after the opener and mentioned the Quo cover and he offered that the song was about painter Laurence Lowry and sung by David Lowery--the things rock journalists ponder. Loved chatting with him over the week--great guy.
I always loved "Do It Yourself" and am glad to see it get dusted off and beefed up.
Love the new arrangement of "Plastic Flowers" and makes me want a gussied-up remaster, etc., of SRO even more. (Or maybe just rerecord that whole album in proper DBT order with the Jay/Matt lineup?)
What a time. So glad to see you again or meet you for the first time.
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/cla ... men-429531
Now it's dark.