DBT in New Haven, CT - 8/28/21

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

DBT in New Haven, CT - 8/28/21

Post by Bill in CT »

DBT will play College Street Music Hall in New Haven, CT on August 28, 2021. Bette Smith will open the show.

Tickets go on sale this Friday.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

BigTom
Site Admin

Re: DBT in New Haven, CT - 8/28/21

Post by BigTom »

IN
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

In
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

In

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

In

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Drive-By Truckers
August 28, 2021
College Street Music Hall
New Haven, CT

Birthday Boy
Righteous Path
Ramon Casiano
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Goode's Field Road
Panties In Your Purse
Why Henry Drinks
Women Without Whiskey
Plastic Flowers On The Highway
Surrender Under Protest
Ronnie and Neil
Three Dimes Down
Play it All Night Long
A Ghost To Most
Watching The Orange Clouds
Slow Ride Argument
Lookout Mountain
Gravity's Gone
Let There Be Rock
Marry Me
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Hell No I Ain't Happy

My first full band electric Rock Show since March 2018, unbelievably. Even pre-pandemic, the tour dates just didn't match up with my schedule. I'd seen just about every other iteration of the band since - full band acoustic, PH and Cooley both solo, and Dimmer Twins 3x. It was good to be back.

I arrived around 7:15pm (doors 7pm) and was easily able to get a spot on the rail. It appeared (when I went online a couple days before) that most of the balcony seats were sold, but the GA pit did not feel crowded. There were some younger fans right behind me, noticeable in the second half of the night. They were very enthusiastic, particularly for Ghost To Most and, perhaps too enthusiastic, almost uncomfortably so, for KKK Took My Baby Away. The band played for an hour and 53 minutes. No encore break, or at least not the walk-off-and-walk-back-on kind.

I was surpised to not hear Zip City, but I was told it is in and out of the setlist lately. A few days before the show, I was reading here about Goode's Field Road, and I really want to know the story behind that song. It's not a big sing-along rocker, or a heavy cut like Space City, but the lyrics are very intriguing. So it was cool to hear it this night.

The show sounded great from the rail, thanks to the audience-facing stage monitors that every venue should have but they don't always have. I've seen one or two shows here before and the venue sounded good then too. I forgotten that it was pretty small, compared to say the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY. Same kind of interior layout, but much shorter GA pit from stage to back.

The merch looked good. I got a slipmat and a patch. The poster was great but I have so many posters in storage that will never get displayed that I can't bring myself to part with 40 bucks for things like that anymore. Especially as it is a smaller-sized poster. The new cat t-shirt is cool, but I wish it was a full cat design like on the stage backdrops, not just the cat face. I may buy something the next time they come by. See you all at Brooklyn Bowl!

-Rob