Message from Patterson- February 12, 2021

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Message from Patterson- February 12, 2021

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Y’all,

Greetings all ye Heathens.
Hard to believe its all here and now and yet it’s so not.
I don't think there are adequate words to express my (our) deep and bitter disappointment to not be in Athens right now, playing Rock and Roll for all of you.
I miss my band, my family, my many friends in Athens, and all of you.
I miss Nuçi’s Space, now more than ever as we’re all still grieving the loss of its founder and our dear friend Linda Phillips.
I want to be with y’all to mourn our losses this past year, Jimmy C., Hank, so many loved ones on our periphery.
I want to have some unguarded and wildly cathartic fun.

No one knows when it will come back and what form it will initially take, but I do know it will be back and we will be back.
Speaking for our band, I believe with all my might that DBT will be better than ever before with all the added sense of purpose that we have derived from having it all disappear for over a year.
We have two new albums to pull from as well as old favorites that we can attack with renewed vigor. I have a bunch of new songs that I can’t wait to work up with my mighty band.
I miss my band. I’m pretty sure it’s mutual. It’s felt like phantom limbs at times.

I talked to Velena at 40 Watt today. We’ve been friends for decades and I hadn’t spoken with her in a year.
I was happy to hear how well they’re doing despite all of the turmoil and isolation.
She assured me that The Fabulous 40 Watt Club will indeed be back and better than ever.
We discussed Homecoming ideas for when it does indeed happen.
With so many club losses all over the country (and beyond) it was indeed fantastic to hear that they’re going to be OK.
(And not just the new ok).

I’ve enjoyed taking a little time away from the HeathenSongs show I did last year.
I was happy with the 16 that I did but also needing a break to rest my brain and focus on some holiday and family stuff.
I did, however, miss doing it, as it was one thing that kinda leveled me. It cheered me up and made me feel less disconnected.
It also forced me to practice, a lot, and work up lots of songs, some of which I”ve hardly played in years.
It’s time to do it again.
I’m doing HeathenSongs #17 on NoonChorus on Wed. Feb. 17th 9EST / 6PST
Not really a literal theme this time, but calling it Shake and Pine after one of my newer songs.
Prob my favorite new song in a while.
I plan to play several newer ones as well as some deep cuts, favorites and who knows what else occurs to be between now and then.
I hope to (kinda) see you there.

Probably much more to discuss, but I’ll leave that for later.
See you at the (virtual) Rock and Roll Show,
Patterson Hood
DBT

PS:: This Saturday, Feb 13th is the 40th anniversary of my seeing Bruce Springsteen and the E. Street Band live in Starkville MS (Friday Feb 13th, 1981).
It still is my all time favorite show.
I literally ran away from home to go.

.02???
His situation is bullshit. #FreeBruce
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Message from Patterson- February 12, 2021

Post by RolanK »

Thanks for posting! Really good to hear the 40 Watt is coping.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

From the looks of things, I agree with Patterson about Bruce's predicament. We'll see what comes out in the wash. In the meantime, a bit of appropriate humour:

PS: I'm about same vintage as PH, a few years older just turned 60. I saw Bruce twice in 1978 (start & end of the tour) when I was in high school & twice in 1981. In 1981, I had great floor seats in Seattle. When Bruce went out in the crowd, he stood on the chair directly in front of me & sang a song. At the end, he shook my hand & ran back to the stage. Haven't washed it since, haha. I kid, I kid! The next night, we drove to Portland through a minor eruption of Mt St Helens to the show. Bruce did "On Top of Old Smokey" at that show!

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Wasn't a massive shock to learn that the Springsteen situation was bullshit.

I'm a slightly younger generation. First concert sized rock show I ever went to was in about 1993 ("other band" tour) when I was about 13 (thanks dad) and it was the Boss. Held every rock and roll show against that standard ever since.

And if one thing is keeping me going, its knowing that whenever we get to going back to bars and little venues to seeing our favourite bands and even whatever band happens to be playing that night, it's going to go off like a fucking bomb. And, of course, the first post lockdown DBT show is going to be Jimi at Monterey levels of extraordinary.