Jimmy C is Gone But Never Forgotten

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Jimmy C is Gone But Never Forgotten

Post by beantownbubba »

The DBT and HeAthens flags fly at half staff today.

I am saddened, crushed, really, to tell you that James Coogan, aka jimmy c, aka the cheese man, has died. A HeAthen since before there was a family or culture or club called HeAthens, he was a constant, welcome and welcoming presence in the DBT community, especially in NYC but also at Homecoming and at many many other DBT shows and events. Others knew him better and longer but I will remember jimmy mostly for his kind, gentle and caring nature backed up by a fieriness that glowed white hot in the face of wrong or injustice. A close and dear friend of many here, some relationships going back decades at this point, this is a terrible blow to all of us as well as to his wife Bambi, his family and friends. Jimmy c is and will be missed.

I have not yet heard anything about funeral arrangements, contributions or other memorials but will post what I know when I know it. Your memories are welcome here and may perhaps be collected for his family at some point, I don't know.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

roland

Re: Jimmy C is Gone But Never Forgotten

Post by roland »

Damn, dude. I only met Jimmy a few times years and years ago, but he was always a fun hang. Fuck this year.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

roland wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:35 pm
Damn, dude. I only met Jimmy a few times years and years ago, but he was always a fun hang. Fuck this year.
Well said, especially the last part. RIP Jimmy.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

This is so sad. I didn't know Jimmy well but he was such a nice guy. One of the highlights of this year for me was when Jimmy made a cheese plate for me at Allison's house the afternoon of the Truckers Wash DC show in February. He made it so carefully and took time to explain each piece of cheese to me, where it was from, what to eat with it, etc. He was a true connoisseur. RIP Jimmy. The world lost a good one today.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

LBRod wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:45 pm
roland wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:35 pm
Well said, especially the last part. RIP Jimmy.
x 2, one of the first to make us feel welcome. RIP Jimmy C
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Still trying to wrap my head around this. He was my good friend. My wife and I were the witnesses at his wedding. The first time we saw DBT was 1/1/05 but not together. We continued to be at the same shows until we met at HC 2008 at the Dazed Inn (he and Rev Todd were rolling up a BIG bag with the door wide open) (we realized we had been standing next to each other at a 2005 solo Patterson show at the Mercury Lounge). Became fast friends. Two NYC club rats. That encounter begat a friendship that resulted in so many great memories.

When DBT played NYE at Terminal 5, Jimmy and I rented a Town car to get us there and home. The limo company screwed up and sent a replacement to get us there. It was quite a sight as two Heathens got out of a pimped out super stretch Hummer with neon lights, balancing multiple cheese and meat trays (I believe this was also the night I briefly met Bubba)

Monday Jan. 10, 2011. NYC. Telephone. About 6:30 PM

Hey Jimmy, This fucking snowstorm looks like it's going to wash out our Wednesday morning flight to Athens (it did). Let's rent a car, I'll pick you up in the morning and drive down.

OK Johnny

Got into Charlotte about 10:30 PM and got a hot meal at my friends house. Took off for Athens the next morning (and left a generous salami and cheese spread). Rolled in and the locals had us cracking up as they tried to remove ice and snow with brooms. We had made it to Homecoming!

I'm going to miss my friend
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:14 pm
When DBT played NYE at Terminal 5, Jimmy and I rented a Town car to get us there and home. The limo company screwed up and sent a replacement to get us there. It was quite a sight as two Heathens got out of a pimped out super stretch Hummer with neon lights, balancing multiple cheese and meat trays (I believe this was also the night I briefly met Bubba)
Never heard that one before. Please tell me there are photos?!?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:27 pm
Jonicont wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:14 pm
Never heard that one before. Please tell me there are photos?!?
Alas, the image only exists in my mind now
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jimmy c's family has requested that memorial donations be given to Nuci's Space at nuci.org. There is a place on the donations page to indicate that your gift is in memory of jimmy.

TDB

Post by TDB »

I first met Jimmy in Athens, GA: Homecoming 2008. I was standing outside the Grit having a smoke when he approached me and said he recognized me from ninebullets. A friendship was born. Kevin (Monty610) had already met Jimmy in NYC through Howlin Wolf, so I knew he was good people. To say that Jimmy was generous to a fault would be a gross understatement. His kindness knew no bounds. For the next three days in Athens, Jimmy treated Kevin and I to dinner at the National (including a $120 bottle of wine), bought several rounds of beers and was not shy about sharing whatever he brought with him to smoke. Forgive me if this seems inappropriate to mention, but Jimmy always had the BEST weed! His knowledge of the finer things in life did not end with cheese and meat, folks. He LOVED to live well, and it was fun to go along for the ride. In 2008 alone, Jimmy and I went to DBT shows in New Haven, NYC, Philly, Chicago, Baltimore and Washington D.C. After that, it became more like a once a year thing at Homecoming. But, still, once a year is more than I see some of my friends I've known since high school or college. Rock show friends are a different animal.

Rock show friends are people who share the same passion for music as you. They usually share a few other common threads...like beer, liquor and smokes. They may be COMPLETELY polar opposites politically or socially, but at the ROCK SHOW that does not matter. These are your FUN friends!!! People you have met before, had fun with and look forward to doing it again. Sometimes, they become REAL friends. People you talk to AFTER the tour is over. People you check in on just to talk to. People you call on their birthday or send post holiday form letters. That's what Jimmy was to me. Don't get me wrong, I have made a LOT of good friends in the DBT Nation over the years. However, how many of you have let me stay at YOUR house? That's a short list! The last time I saw Jimmy was this past Homecoming and as usual our time together was much too short. We spoke once after that but then half a year blew by. I got an email from Kev last Sunday morning saying Jonicont had called him with bad news. I knew immediately it was Jimmy.

Like a fool, I called his cell phone. I guess I was hoping just to hear his voice again. No luck. We weren't friends of FB, since I'm usually blocked anyway. I just assumed I would talk to him around Christmas like usual. He was the first close friend of mine to pass away. Sadly, I now realize, Jimmy is still teaching me life lessons. How to say goodbye. Never miss the chance to tell someone you love them, people. Time is fleeting. So, like all of you, I mourn the loss of my friend. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones. James (I could never call him that) was loved by many, including me. I was blessed to have known him and the memories of the fun we had will stay with me until it's my time to "Shut up and get on the plane". It said ancient Egyptians believed the spirit is presented with two questions when arriving in Heaven: "Did you find joy on Earth?" and "Did you bring joy to others". If this is true, Jimmy, you can look them straight in the eye and tell them YES! I will miss you, my friend, but I have faith our spirits will meet again. Until then, Godspeed.

"Rev" Todd Baker

Clams

Post by Clams »

^^^^ nice post Rev Todd

I saw this online yesterday
https://www.cheeseprofessor.com/blog/re ... LKW2sowHLc

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:18 am
^^^^ nice post Rev Todd

x2
Nice, RevTodd!
Thought about posting the cheese professor's obituary, and I guess I should have because it belongs here. Good work, clams.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Ok, the clip is about a minute too long, but aside from Jimmy C's debut on "What The Hell Was That?" (about 41 seconds in)
there are a few other HeAthens you may recognize :0)

https://youtu.be/U7q9ahcI69c

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

TDB wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:49 pm
Ok, the clip is about a minute too long, but aside from Jimmy C's debut on "What The Hell Was That?" (about 41 seconds in)
there are a few other HeAthens you may recognize :0)

https://youtu.be/U7q9ahcI69c
Cool
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:18 am
^^^^ nice post Rev Todd

X3
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Small world department:

A new cheese shop just opened last week very close to my son & DIL's place in Providence.
He: Huh? I had to check it out of course and found the owners, a lovely couple to be knowledgeable, friendly and all around good people. After I left I realized that the guy had said he worked as a cheese distributor in the NY tristate area before opening this store. Which switched on a lightbulb so I had to go back at the first opportunity, which was today.

Me: You said you worked in cheese in the tristate area, right?
He: Yes
Me: Did you happen to know a guy named jimmyc?
He: Huh?
Me: You might know him better as james coogan.
He: Oh! Sure! I knew him until he passed away. What a great guy...

We talked about jimmy for a couple of minutes and it was just great, both to be able to have that convo and to share memories but also just to run into a semi random person who knew him. Plus this guy confirmed what we already knew: that jimmy was a legend in that world. This one (cheese and wine) is for you, jimmyc!

Unfortunately when I pointed to my DBT t-shirt and explained that I met jimmy through the band, that drew only blank stares but I'm thinking he's a convert waiting to happen :)