The New OK - 10/2/2020 (Vinyl 12/18)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: The New OK - 10/2/2020 (Vinyl 12/18)

Post by Zip City »

The more I listen to The New Ok, the more excited I am about a possible "corner turn" in the band's sound. I've felt that Hood's "Heat Lightning" album unduly influenced the DBT records that followed, adding in more piano than I like, and turning out several songs that felt more like solo projects than band songs (notably the ones where Cooley seems not to appear at all).

This new record has no such songs, and has several new things we've never heard before (double tracked vocals, banjo mixed with electric guitar, vocal effects, Matt singing, etc.). Almost sounds like they had a new producer (though we know they didn't).

I'm excited to see where this takes them
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:28 pm
The more I listen to The New Ok, the more excited I am about a possible "corner turn" in the band's sound. I've felt that Hood's "Heat Lightning" album unduly influenced the DBT records that followed, adding in more piano than I like, and turning out several songs that felt more like solo projects than band songs (notably the ones where Cooley seems not to appear at all).

This new record has no such songs, and has several new things we've never heard before (double tracked vocals, banjo mixed with electric guitar, vocal effects, Matt singing, etc.). Almost sounds like they had a new producer (though we know they didn't).

I'm excited to see where this takes them
Future probably depends a lot on Cooley's muse? If Patterson ends up writing the bulk of the material, the records will always be shaped by Patterson's sensibility whether he wants that or not.

PH referring to the last three albums as a trilogy I guess suggests a conscious desire to draw a line and find a new direction.

T.O.guy

Post by T.O.guy »

Why can I not find this album on YouTube music (formerly Google Play)?
Just the single is available.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I hadn't listened to much of this album choosing to wait until I got my vinyl. When I ordered it I also ordered the RSD album from 7/13/06. Thank you Schlanky for the Seasick tip. That live record brought back some great memories of that tour. We saw them in the spring before that show and again in the fall on Cooleys b-day in Macon. Part of the Macon show has been stuck in my trucks cd player for the last 5 years(I thought I'd never get that Ted Nugent cd outta there)and I'm OK with that. Basically I ain't been able to take it off the turn table, till Wednesday. I got home intending to watch my favorite talk show DBL, but no, morons on the loose was on. So I flipped the tv to ABC (cause I'm an American), muted it and put the New OK on the turntable. It was incredible how much of it matched up. Really dug this album on the first listen and much more than the last. The first side was great but I thought I would indulge my senses before putting on the second side. I hadn't seen the track listing and when it started playing I was really digging that groove, then Patterson stated singing a great version of SIHS. I was really anticipating this song cause we were at that show he's referring to. It was a really ritzy place and even outside I felt outta place but maybe it was because we were actually paying attention to the show. The song was not a let down, I normally don't care for horns with my DBT but this sounded great. Side 2 was just as good as the first. I see this album spinning quite a bit. ****
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I just still can't get much into this. Probably the lack of Cooley.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:00 pm
I was in the same boat til a week or two ago when I got the CD and put it into heavy rotation in my car. Now I'm on board with it.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Clams wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:34 am
Iowan wrote:
I was in the same boat til a week or two ago when I got the CD and put it into heavy rotation in my car. Now I'm on board with it.
My kids got me the CD for Christmas, although they wanted the cassette tape so that I could listen in my truck!!!

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Iowan wrote:
I'm always happier with more Cooley (and I don't even like Sarah's Flame much), but some of the Patterson songs are among my favorites of his recent output.

Still won't be a favorite to me without the scale approaching 50/50 Patterson and Cooley.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

coornelius wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am
Iowan wrote:
I'm always happier with more Cooley (and I don't even like Sarah's Flame much), but some of the Patterson songs are among my favorites of his recent output.

Still won't be a favorite to me without the scale approaching 50/50 Patterson and Cooley.
I really love Sea Island Lonely.

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Iowan wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 am
coornelius wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am
Iowan wrote:

I really love Sea Island Lonely.
aw man me too. That and Tough to Let Go.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Nope.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I listened to this on the way to work, and I still generally like it. It feels more patchworked together for me than it did at first, but I like hearing the band exploring new and old sounds
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

I have to say that this album really has grown on me. I am like many on here with wishing there was more Cooley. I feel they are the perfect in sound and style to go back and forth on album sequencing. I do understand how hard it is to write about the current state of our country 3 times(last three albums) and still be producing the level of quality you want as a writer. I do feel Hood has really stepped up on these three albums and written some of his very best songs ever from What it Means, Thoughts and Prayers, The Perilous Night, Awaiting Resurrection, Tough to Let Go, Watching the Orange Clouds etc. I have a much different opinion of his writing(in a very good way) after these three albums. I feel many of these songs will continue to be relevant many years down the road(unfortunately due to some of society's behaviors) but none the less will still be powerful and hard hitting in a truthful, honest way. Grievance Merchants I still feel is one of Cooley's best songs he has ever written lyrically and the power of that songs blows me away every listen. I also really love Sarah's Flame. It paints such a picture of how modern politics are followed and believed. I drive to the grocery store and have seen this on full display over the past 4-5 years. These last 3 albums, along with English Oceans, I have had on constant rotation in my cd car collection. I do not worry about Cooley's writing. When he does not have such a specific topic to write about I have no doubt the albums will go back to being 50/50 or close to that. I view this time and the albums made to be why I truly love DBTs over other bands. The say and do what others won't.