The New OK - 10/2/2020 (Vinyl 12/18)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: The New OK - 10/2/2020 (Vinyl 12/18)

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:35 pm
I get it, I'm in the minority, but the music (minus lyrics) is bottom 3 Cooley for me
Classic zip
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:31 am
Zip City wrote:
I get it, I'm in the minority, but the music (minus lyrics) is bottom 3 Cooley for me
Classic zip
What, having my own opinion, separate from the rest of 3DD? Guilty as charged
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:04 am
Clams wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:31 am
Zip City wrote:
Classic zip
What, having my own opinion, contrary to the rest of 3DD? Guilty as charged
^^^^Fixed that for ya zip :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Sarah's Flame has been talked about a lot so far. I personally think it is classic Cooley in his mellow vocal delivery and sound. Lyrically it is as sharp and witty as he always is. I personally like the story of this song a lot because it so very true. It could have been a song from the Go Go Boots sessions for me. It has that type of vibe. It is very similar in it's content to Grievance Merchants in my opinion. One is about white supremacy and assault rifle carrying asshats and the other is about those same radical individuals attending rallies for their candidate based off of bumper sticker slogans. GM is definitely more of a rock sound than SF but the two are cut from the same cloth.Listened to the album a ton like all on here I'm sure and I will say it's my favorite lyrical content wise in a long long time. I also really like the memphis sound incorporated on this album and Jay and Matt really shine and continue to get better and better having larger roles every DBTs album. I was very pleased with their playing on The Unraveling but this has even taken it to a new level. As far as my favorite song on the album most of the time for me and DBT albums it is obvious my favorite 2-3 songs. This album is different I feel very strongly about all the songs including the ending cover song. I usually am not a fan of cover songs on albums but this one is very fitting and actually showcases yet another side of the band. It is also a live favorite, I am happy they finally properly recorded for an album. I am really currently(today) digging Watching the Orange Clouds. I really love the content of that song. I also feel The Perilous Night is as relevant today as it was when it was written as the election nears. Sea Lonely Island has a great sound to it and I love the lyrical content of it as well. I agree with Isbell, Tough to Let Go is an amazing song, one of Patterson's best in some time. The New Ok like Watching The Orange Clouds has a lot of great lyrical content to it as well. Love that they are at either side of this album.I see many not liking The Unraveling sung by Matt. I did not at first but the more I listen to it I dig the sound of the song and lyrically what it is about. It has just taken me a little time to get used to a new lead singer taking songs. His voice works very well with the other two. Now if they would just add Jay and give him a song or two. For a surprise album this has been absolutely amazing to me. Most bands would beg for this to be a career album for them. It is elite for me when stacked up with their catalogue. I hope they keep the use of that memphis sound. It brings so much to their songs. I love it. 2020 has been just awful by most standards all the way around, but I can honestly say for the artists I follow and listen to religiously, it has been the best year for me as a fan in well over a decade. That is a plus with more on the way I am sure.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:14 am
^^^^Fixed that for ya zip :lol:
Groupthink isn't healthy. We shouldn't all like the same songs, and not every DBT song can be in your top 3

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Groupthink isn't healthy.
Especially when it comes to politics.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Sara’s Flame immediately made me think about Once They Banned Imagine...something in the chords or intonation in Cooley’s voice.

I’m really enjoying the album; it made for a nice treat this year.

Sea Island Lonely is not thematically deep like many of the album’s songs, but I love the sound, and it may be my favorite song on the album. When I say “not thematically deep,” I guess I mean macro vs. micro. Sea Island is about missing one’s family; that’s sad but not overwhelming injustice/riots/political turmoil sad.

Y’all stay safe!!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:24 am
The song is called Primer Coat. I think the music fits it well.
Nice. And pithy too.
LBRod wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:25 pm
Zip City wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Groupthink isn't healthy.
Especially when it comes to politics.
Words to the wise.
Beaverdam wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 pm
Sara’s Flame immediately made me think about Once They Banned Imagine...something in the chords or intonation in Cooley’s voice.
Agree.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I am not going to pretend I am able to discuss anything even remotely DBT-related on objective terms at this stage. I'm digging this, and once again there are enough twists to make it sound interesting, new and fresh. I am really fond of the production on these two latest albums. Only been through it a few times this far, early favorites are the title cut, as well as the Perilous Night remix (which I also dug in the original verision) and Sarah's Flame. I am getting a Supergrass-vibe on the title cut. Maybe because of the doubled vocals?

Fully agree with Bubba on the Memphis observation, I would actually go as far as to say the horns theme on Sea Island Lonely is a strong nod to Otis' Sad Song.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:57 pm
I would actually go as far as to say the horns theme on Sea Island Lonely is a strong nod to Otis' Sad Song.
I'll say! If that's not intended as a tribute to Otis, Sad Song or both you can knock me over w/ a feather.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I was expecting my opinion that this was NOT a collection of B sides to be taken as a contrarian position but it seems many have come around on that point made early on in the thread. I also like this record better than The Unraveling and thought that too would be a minority opinion. I’m happy to see that other posters have made that point too!

The Distance is my favorite song on this record by a wide margin. Holy shit. It really gets better with every listen. Sea Island Lonely is a great change of pace and so is Sarah’s Flame. So Memphisy. Watching The Orange Clouds sounds to these ears like a Flaming Lips outtake. (I see Jack Flash thought that too.) I like Tough To Let Go and KKK is so fun. It’s fantastic that Perilous Night gets an album release. LOVE that fucking song.

I’m not hating on the Unraveling I just like this collection of songs better. DBT you constantly blow me away. Thanks again for making 2020 better….
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

If Go Go Boots was the country soul album, I’ve started to think of this one as their 1960s Atlantic Records/Stax/Muscle Shoals record.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

RolanK wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:57 pm
I am not going to pretend I am able to discuss anything even remotely DBT-related on objective terms at this stage. I'm digging this, and once again there are enough twists to make it sound interesting, new and fresh. I am really fond of the production on these two latest albums. Only been through it a few times this far, early favorites are the title cut, as well as the Perilous Night remix (which I also dug in the original verision) and Sarah's Flame. I am getting a Supergrass-vibe on the title cut. Maybe because of the doubled vocals?

Fully agree with Bubba on the Memphis observation, I would actually go as far as to say the horns theme on Sea Island Lonely is a strong nod to Otis' Sad Song.
How the f*ck is it possible for my fingers to type Supergrass while my brain is thinking Teenage Fanclub?????
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

RolanK wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:53 pm

How the f*ck is it possible for my fingers to type Supergrass while my brain is thinking Teenage Fanclub?????
This is totally their Supertramp album.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The Distance has that SRO guitar riff that hits me every time. Baggage had that SRO feel as well

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think Matt is the seventh different lead singer on a DBT song? How many bands can claim that?

Patterson
Cooley
Jason
Shonna
Rob
Adam
Matt
??????

I’m not counting the brief female lead on Cassie’s Brother

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Damn I've been REALLY busy this year and have worn my 3DD shirts more than I've been on the board (shame on me). I've had a few nagging questions about The New Ok. The simple act of reading a scholarly yet quick review by Beantown Bubba followed by a few salty takes from Zip has started my day off with a bang. Thanks to 3DD for being a warm blanket in a cold world!
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

walthers

Post by walthers »

I’ve been late on putting time into the new album. I’m really digging sea island lonely. That’s a stone cold groove. I like it a lot, can’t wait for the day we are back at the Rock show and can hear it.

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:20 pm
I think Matt is the seventh different lead singer on a DBT song? How many bands can claim that?

Patterson
Cooley
Jason
Shonna
Rob
Adam
Matt
??????

I’m not counting the brief female lead on Cassie’s Brother
feel like a.) it's a matter of time until Jay is #8 and b.) I'm fine with just two moving forward unless a very special occasion deems differently.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

For me, the best DBT albums benefit from the mix of voices and songwriting styles. There must be a reason Jay hasn't contributed a song or a lead vocal. Saving his material it for his own releases?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:22 am
Damn I've been REALLY busy this year and have worn my 3DD shirts more than I've been on the board (shame on me). I've had a few nagging questions about The New Ok. The simple act of reading a scholarly yet quick review by Beantown Bubba followed by a few salty takes from Zip has started my day off with a bang. Thanks to 3DD for being a warm blanket in a cold world!
Good to see ya!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I've been listening to the "Trump Trilogy" a bunch recently.

Here's a Zip City patented hot take: I think I might rank American Band at the bottom of the trio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:03 pm

Here's a Zip City patented hot take: I think I might rank American Band at the bottom of the trio
American Band has the advantage of having had at least a little time behind it. I have a high degree of confidence in saying that AB is aging quite well and standing up to all but the very, very best of DBT (i.e. right below the Holy Trinity, w/ some other company). I'd say that over the last 2 years it's the DBT album I've listened to most by a considerable margin.

I've dived into both new ones as they've been released so they've had a fair number of recent spins. It took me a couple of spins to warm to The Unraveling but I jumped into The New OK w/ both feet from the first. I go back and forth between the two and don't think I've reached any firm decisions but at the moment I'd say I favor TNOK. I suspect that neither will land as high in the DBT catalog as AB has for me, but that remains to be seen and the high points of both are really high.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:03 pm
I've been listening to the "Trump Trilogy" a bunch recently.
Love the title “Trump Trilogy” for the last 3 records. I really really like AB. However I love The Unraveling and The New Ok much better and listen to them a lot more than AB. I like how different the two records are sonically and for this fan there is nothing more therapeutic than these two albums right now in my life. I’ve been a fan of the Truckers since the original trilogy, but I have to be honest, as good as those three albums are, these three weekly resonate with me more. After the election I feel they still will. That’s a testament to the power of their
message. I just hope they have a 4th one in them when America will need it most.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

KcGhostToMost wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:35 pm
Love the title “Trump Trilogy” for the last 3 records.
Meant to respond to this earlier. Very catchy and cute but oh, I don't know, unsettling and puts the focus in the wrong place I think. How about the Resistance Trilogy? Not nearly as catchy I know but it does seem closer to the spirit of things.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:56 am
KcGhostToMost wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:35 pm
Love the title “Trump Trilogy” for the last 3 records.
Meant to respond to this earlier. Very catchy and cute but oh, I don't know, unsettling and puts the focus in the wrong place I think. How about the Resistance Trilogy? Not nearly as catchy I know but it does seem closer to the spirit of things.
Honestly no matter people’s political affiliation it cannot be denied that he is the reason so many songs from those three albums came about and were released. To me it’s calling it what it is. Years later he will forever be tagged to those albums and that time period. Just as they wanted those songs to be heard in my opinion the albums should be forever pinned to him and his legacy or lack there of. Just my thoughts but without the prayers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

KcGhostToMost wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:50 pm
Honestly no matter people’s political affiliation it cannot be denied that he is the reason so many songs from those three albums came about and were released. To me it’s calling it what it is. Years later he will forever be tagged to those albums and that time period. Just as they wanted those songs to be heard in my opinion the albums should be forever pinned to him and his legacy or lack there of. Just my thoughts but without the prayers.
You probably haven't seen Patterson's thoughts on the subject, from his letter posted by TC earlier today:

"Taken together, these three albums do sort of make an unintended trilogy.
(Please don’t name that after this current administration, because he’s not worthy of my shit, much less our art).
Let’s call it the 21st Century USA Trilogy or the “4 Years Grandpa went batshit crazy and voted for a Nazi Trilogy” or whatever."

Presumably some label will emerge organically as people talk/write about the albums and this period over time. It will be what it will be.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:22 pm
KcGhostToMost wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:50 pm
You probably haven't seen Patterson's thoughts on the subject, from his letter posted by TC earlier today:

"Taken together, these three albums do sort of make an unintended trilogy.
(Please don’t name that after this current administration, because he’s not worthy of my shit, much less our art).
Let’s call it the 21st Century USA Trilogy or the “4 Years Grandpa went batshit crazy and voted for a Nazi Trilogy” or whatever."

Presumably some label will emerge organically as people talk/write about the albums and this period over time. It will be what it will be.
I’m gonna go with “The Trilogy of our Discontent”
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:33 pm

I like that. A lot.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Flea wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:33 pm

I like that. A lot.
I was hoping it could be the "Out of the Ditch Trilogy", but the jury's still out on that.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be