DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Post by LBRod »

pearlbeer wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 am
I enjoyed the Cooley show last night, although was disappointed that Brownie didn't make an appearance. The sound seemed a little low, but I was able to make it work. We ought to get Cooley a proper camera. ;)
You turned it off too soon. Brownie did make a cameo at the end.
Show was worth it just for the Twitty story.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:13 pm
At Ansley’s suggestion we’re going to have Cooley read actual letters for the next Q&A. You can send those to me and I’ll forward to the Cooley’s

Gavney
154 Britton Cir
Flowood, MS 39232

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would like to hear him read "How The Grinch Stole Christmas".
Now it's dark.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I have returned to work and am waking much earlier than a few months ago and haven’t watched the streamed shows recently. Apparently last night Bryan asked if Cooley played in the high school band and is so what instrument. Apparently Cooley played the trombone and a picture exists somewhere of him in his band uniform.

Imagine the money that pic would generate at the Nucci’s Space auction!!!

By the way, today is Bryan’s bday!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Beaverdam wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:51 pm
By the way, today is Bryan’s bday!
I hope Bryan had a great birthday.

Jay gave us another great show last night. I liked the bonus video sequences---they add variety to the show. The opening sequence with the pets was fantastic. Hearing all of Mess of Happiness was a treat --- that included sax accompaniment in a socially distanced garage, and Neff with Jay on a sublime version of "Dios Te Bendiga." We got bonus commercials for the Mess of Happiness album. The "Holiday Inn" keyboard stack was cool. I like seeing Jay switch it up between keyboard and guitar---and we got a song each on keytar and ukulele.

We got a couple of new songs---can't wait for the new album to come out.

You can tell Jay put a lot of work into this show, and it was enjoyable start to finish.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

So Patterson played the Betamax Guillotine show tonight. If you didn't buy the show, you don't want to miss it.

At this point, with all the great quarantine shows we've had, it feels like splitting hairs to pick a favorite. But this is the one that made me both remember and miss the Rock Show the most.

I think this is only the second time I've heard Plastic Flowers and Road Cases in the same show & those are a couple of my favorites.
Let the outside air in

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And the much sought after Greenville to Baton Rouge!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

That arrangement that Patterson did on Plastic Flowers On The Highway was simply amazing.

You can believe I'll be re-listening again within the next 72 hours....
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Didn't watch it live but did catch up w/ it later and am glad I did. Excellent show in all respects. The readings/reminisces were all directly on point and furthered and cemented the story.

Hearing them again for the first time in a long time, I still don't know why the "2d Act Songs" like "Life in the Factory" and "Greenville to Baton Rouge" don't appear more often in the live set (if you remember those). They're not like, say, a favorite ballad that just doesn't go over live. Gives us something to talk about I suppose.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

I caught the replay last night too and IMO this is the best Heathen Attic set yet. Loved the two Cooley interludes. Really enjoyed it.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Finally got around to see one of these. The timing for live streaming is not great when you are on Central European time (basically in the middle of the night/early morning), so I haven't been able to check in on any these in real time... but this was great even if it was a replay.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Just finished my third time through. Patterson's last three shows have been off the charts. This show was legendary both in song and story-telling. The stories in this one are every bit as as enjoyable as the songs.

I'm really hoping at some point that they'll offer some of these shows on DVD (the quarantine box set!) if that's a possibility. A bunch of these streaming shows have been too good to see for just 72 hours, then be gone forever.
Let the outside air in

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

that betamax show was awesome. really hope it gets released for longer term listening. So many good stories and extra context along with some great "stage presence" from PH
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I skipped the Cooley show live to watch the debate with my wife and did first listen tonight. Thought I'd make a post about it since no one else has.

The show was low key, slow burn fantastic. Great setlist. We all have our own favorites, and he hit most of what most folks would consider favorites on this one. And he we got Sarah's Flame.

He played on his back porch and had a chorus of crickets throughout. If you didn't buy the show, it's worth the money just to hear the crickets sing along on the last song---that's the way that song was meant to be heard.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 pm
He played on his back porch and had a chorus of crickets throughout. If you didn't buy the show, it's worth the money just to hear the crickets sing along on the last song---that's the way that song was meant to be heard.
Yeah, the crickets were great.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Alabama crickets - gotta love em'

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

The Jayhawks recently did a successful full-band webcast which couldn't help but get me thinking: When are the Truckers going to get together to bring us the closest thing we'll get to a rock show for the foreseeable future?

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Cooley in a good mood tonight, v-neck and all. The slip-ups on Perfect Timing felt appropriate for weirdness of last couple weeks. First time I've heard Slow Ride Argument acoustic too, which was nicely followed up by Ghost to Most. Definitely the most relaxed I've seen Cooley on one of these streams. His son's cover of Dress Blues on Veterans Day was nicely done as well.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LastLawson wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:55 pm
Cooley in a good mood tonight, v-neck and all. The slip-ups on Perfect Timing felt appropriate for weirdness of last couple weeks. First time I've heard Slow Ride Argument acoustic too, which was nicely followed up by Ghost to Most. Definitely the most relaxed I've seen Cooley on one of these streams. His son's cover of Dress Blues on Veterans Day was nicely done as well.
Just caught up w/ last nite's show. I thought Ross doing "Dress Blues" was the highlight and the Vets Day connection was well played. The kid can sing and his appearance was not at all the awkward, forced thing it might have been. Cooley also played the proud papa perfectly. I wasn't enamored of several of the arrangements before Ross's appearance (especially "Gravity's Gone" which I thought was kind of lifeless) but thought that Cooley rallied quite a bit after that with some real highlights. And of course the set list was filled with incredibly high quality songs, because what else does Cooley write (at least as far as the ones that get recorded go)?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Watching the vide of Cooley's son doing "Dress Blues". Pretty impressive. He's probably a better singer than his old man. :D

Seriously though, the kid has a lot of talent. You don't want to project anything on him, but musicianship is absolutely genetic. Hope he continues to pursue it.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

If you didn't have time to catch the Thanksgiving Filter Variety Show live, it's worth the money and finding the time. Superb performances all the way around by Jay, Matt, EZB, Cooley, Patterson and Emmett.
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

EZB at the piano :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Go for the performances, some of which were fantastic all of which are worth hearing, stay for the vibe of it, the buzz, the very idea of it. It is just a special, special event that the band (and director/producer Patterson) pulled off w/ flair, aplomb and even a perfect gaff. Check it out.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Setlist?
Now it's dark.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Flea wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:26 pm
Setlist?
Emmett Hood gave us some brief video interludes throughout that were really cool.

Rosemary — Jay and Patterson splitscreen
Ghost to Most—Cooley on the porch with some crickets
The Unraveling— Bobby Matt Ramone solo on electric
I Know There’s Something Going On — Jay and EZB
Thanksgiving Filter — Patterson
Perfect Timing — Cooley on the veranda
Rhinestone Cowboy— Jay and EZB.
Gimmie Some Good Times—Bronson Tew & Matt
Where the Devil Don’t Stay— Stroker Ace
Hello, It’s Me — Jay and Patterson splitscreen. You just gotta see it.
EZB on grand piano
Bulldozers and Dirt—Patterson
72—Cooley
Wildflowers—Patterson
Short People — Jay and EZB.
KKK—Bobby Matt Ramone about town
Love Like This —first verse, then technical issues
Buckets of Mercy—Patterson
Arthur’s Theme—Jay and EZB
First Air of Autumn — Cooley and the crickets
Grand Canyon—Patterson with a little bit of that glorious Rock Show feedback at the end that we all miss so much
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:50 pm
Hello, It’s Me — Jay and Patterson splitscreen. You just gotta see it.
Yes.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:54 am
I laughed!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:10 am
Clams wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:54 am
I laughed!
yeah that was pretty good!

tweedrules

Post by tweedrules »

I know I'm in the minority here. When I first saw Cooley solo at the Le Poisson Rouge in NYC a number of years ago when his son was running across the stage, I was intrigued at the "re-working" of his DBT songs for acoustic. Now I'm not so sure. He seems to be getting farther and farther away from any recognizable renditions of these awesome songs that I love. Still going to purchase the livestreams, still my favorite band and still going to support all that they do but not loving the Cooley direction. Don't hate me. LOL.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

tweedrules wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:20 am
not loving the Cooley direction.
I wasn't wild about 72 from this show the first time through, but liked it more on second listen. I feel like that song is a slow burn slog on a stifling humid day when it just hurts to move any faster. Speeding up the tempo takes away from that a little for me, but I like most of the other songs he's reworked.

I like the way he's been playing Primer Coat on the streaming shows more than the studio version. Same for (the song) English Oceans. Rework of Ramon Casiano is fantastic too. I hope he keeps doing those arrangements of those songs going forward on his solo shows.
Let the outside air in

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cooley needs to slow his brain down. He a always singing way ahead of the beat. He does it like crazy on the Isabelle/Hood/Cooley show record.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever