DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

schlanky wrote:I'm pretty sure anybody reading this post would pay $10-$15 for a 10-12 song album with new takes.
Fart-joke dependent ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

schlanky wrote: Just one guy and a guitar and a harmonica and a stuffed horse.
And this remote control. And this paddle ball....
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:And that great line gets even better when you put it with the next: "and I'm just another guy who can't give her anything"

The line that really gets me in that song is:

Outgrowing me might be the best thing for her she's ever done.

That one just rips your heart out.

Agreed.
schlanky wrote:This was one of those shows you get every now and then that stands out from all the other great shows. DBT has been great every time I've seen them. Cooley has been great every solo show I've seen him. But there are always those few here and there just had that something extra. Cooley was there tonight.
I assume it's obvious from my real time comments that I agree. But your post once again brings up the eternal question, what is that thing that separates the truly memorable, literally great, transcendent shows from the more usual high quality thoroughly enjoyable shows? One oft floated observation is that those transcendent nights occur when the band and the audience are totally in snych, feeding off each other. So how does that explain last nite with the audience and performer literally unable to interact? The only other, pretty unsatisfactory, answer I've ever come up with is that the mystery of it is part of it and if we understood it, much less "bottled it" it wouldn't be the same, which just brings us back to where we started. Maybe that's the point, I don't know. I'll just say again that I'm really glad I was there to experience that thing last night.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

So, Brownie is officially now the 6th member of DBT, right?

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

schlanky wrote:After hearing some alternate arrangements of some of the songs tonight, I'd like to see Cooley put out a solo album, even just a download album, with alternate takes of some of his songs. Just one guy and a guitar and a harmonica and a stuffed horse.

I may like the versions he did tonight of Primer Coat, Filthy and Fried, and English Oceans better than the album versions. Maybe I just liked hearing the fresh takes on all of them, but they were really fantastic and they were different. And Shut Up and Get on the Plane was so nice ---his hand was just a blur on the camera there toward the end. And the arrangement he did on Ramon Casiano last show was really good. And can you imagine Trying to Be the Boss on acoustic??? I can't, but you just know it would kick ass.

I'm pretty sure anybody reading this post would pay $10-$15 for a 10-12 song album with new takes.

I'm thinking a "Quarantine Sessions" double album of the best material from all these shows. One disc Hood, one disc Cooley.

That sounds like the sort of thing I'll pay good money for.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I wonder if they've given any thought to playing a joint show where Hood and Cooley both trade songs and stories over the same stream. Can that even be done? Would be really cool.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I wonder if they've given any thought to playing a joint show where Hood and Cooley both trade songs and stories over the same stream. Can that even be done? Would be really cool.
They could each sit in front of the same projected background, a picture of a certain backyard in Dix Hills, NY.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:I wonder if they've given any thought to playing a joint show where Hood and Cooley both trade songs and stories over the same stream. Can that even be done? Would be really cool.
They could do it, but they would have to trade off (i.e. couldn't play together)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

And maybe instead of one song from Hood and one from Cooley, we get two or three songs from one before switching back to the other. That gives a little more rest time or a quick dash to the bathroom for whoever isn't currently on.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

Yes, I think it can be easily done, as seen in the great recent Gourds streaming extravaganza. Just put some bleachers out in the sun. Huge props to Ray for putting that evening together, glass raised to you, Ray, hope you see this!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

In other news, my Quarantine Together shirt arrived today. Wearing it now. My wife who isn't into DBT at all said she liked the shirt (particularly the back) and also expressed her surprise that I ordered yet another DBT shirt.

"How many Drive-By Truckers t-shirts do you need?"--- Mrs. Schlanky

But I really don't understand how she could be surprised at this point. I pointed out that I definitely get my money's worth out of all these shirts (which she had to agree on).
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

schlanky wrote: "How many Drive-By Truckers t-shirts do you need?"--- Mrs. Schlanky
Many have uttered these very same words

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I put the show back on tonight while doing some work in the kitchen.

Good Lord. He killed every fucking song. He knocked my favorites out of the park and the few he played that I normally don't like as much as my favorites were every bit as good as my favorites---gave me a better appreciation of those songs.

Primer Coat with the harmonica -- I hit that song and I've restarted it four times.

The future of every rebel cause when all the fight in him 's gone

---

ETA Just finished it out. Shut Up and Get on the Plane into Space City. Replayed those two a few times.

I'm digging the streaming shows so far. It's nice for all of us to have the best seat in the house. It's nice that they're breaking out songs they don't play often. And it's nice that in the quiet songs that you love, you don't have that asshole nearby yelling over the music.

I miss seeing y'all. I miss how strangers become friends when the music starts and you're all just there singing together. I miss walking out of the show exhausted but happy talking to people I know and people I don't.

After all this ends, I'd be happy to see Cooley and Hood do occasional streaming shows when they're off the road. The different elements the streaming shows bring have been well worth every ticket I've bought.
Last edited by schlanky on Sat May 23, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the outside air in

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

if these keep happening, what's the chance someone can convince one (or both) of them to do an all covers show?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:if these keep happening, what's the chance someone can convince one (or both) of them to do an all covers show?
I'd say it's a lock at some point; it's just a question of how long "keeps happening" has to be before it happens.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
schlanky wrote: "How many Drive-By Truckers t-shirts do you need?"--- Mrs. Schlanky
Sounds familiar.

PS The new quarantine shirt got thumbs up all around.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:
Sounds familiar.

PS The new quarantine shirt got thumbs up all around.
I wore mine to the grocery store with my skull mask yesterday. People distanced.
Now it's dark.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Flea wrote:
I wore mine to the grocery store with my skull mask yesterday. People distanced.
I wish I would have worn mine to Lowe's (Hoover AL) this morning. I did a bunch of yard work at my mother's house today and hit Lowe's for supplies on the way. I'd estimate at least 75% weren't wearing masks and one guy even seemed to go out of his way to walk right past me. Made me feel bad for the folks who work there.
Let the outside air in

walthers

Post by walthers »

Unfortunately that scene at Lowe’s is becoming more and more popular. I witnessed it last week at Home Depot. I just don’t get why people feel the need to go out of their way to try and prove their political point about their rights and their freedoms while disregarding those of others. I too feel sorry for the workers, it would be very difficult to have to not only witness but deal with that level of stupidity on a daily basis.

whatwouldcooleydo?

walthers wrote:Unfortunately that scene at Lowe’s is becoming more and more popular. I witnessed it last week at Home Depot. I just don’t get why people feel the need to go out of their way to try and prove their political point about their rights and their freedoms while disregarding those of others. I too feel sorry for the workers, it would be very difficult to have to not only witness but deal with that level of stupidity on a daily basis.
little pink houses, babe, for you and me :(

Clams

Post by Clams »

walthers wrote:Unfortunately that scene at Lowe’s is becoming more and more popular. I witnessed it last week at Home Depot. I just don’t get why people feel the need to go out of their way to try and prove their political point about their rights and their freedoms while disregarding those of others. I too feel sorry for the workers, it would be very difficult to have to not only witness but deal with that level of stupidity on a daily basis.
schlanky wrote:
Flea wrote:
I wish I would have worn mine to Lowe's (Hoover AL) this morning. I did a bunch of yard work at my mother's house today and hit Lowe's for supplies on the way. I'd estimate at least 75% weren't wearing masks and one guy even seemed to go out of his way to walk right past me. Made me feel bad for the folks who work there.
I hit up my local Lowe's this afternoon. It was jam packed and I didn't see one person without a mask on. Philly for the win (as usual)!

walthers

Post by walthers »

That kicks ass!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

[quote="Clams"]I hit up my local Lowe's this afternoon. It was jam packed and I didn't see one person without a mask on. [/quote

Social distancing is important too. Stay safe!

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

My Quarantine Together shirt has not been delivered yet. Has everyone gotten theirs? Maybe it's taking a while to get to California.

scotto

Post by scotto »

lajakesdad wrote:My Quarantine Together shirt has not been delivered yet. Has everyone gotten theirs? Maybe it's taking a while to get to California.
Haven't gotten mine yet, either (I'm in Missouri), but I have seen a few folks posting theirs. No accounting for nothing in these topsy-turvy times.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Got mine on Friday of last week (Pennsylvania).
Got the email that it was shipping later the same evening... :roll:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lajakesdad wrote:My Quarantine Together shirt has not been delivered yet. Has everyone gotten theirs? Maybe it's taking a while to get to California.
Got mine a few days ago (MA) and my impression is that most people have received them by now in all parts of the country. If you still don't have it, probably worth an inquiry.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A reminder that Jay G is on live tonight at 9 eastern, which is 6 Pacific and 2 am Saturday GMT.

If you haven't seen a jay solo show, they're a lot of fun and worth your time. He has unerring taste for the pop gems he covers and his original stuff fits right in. At a mere 10 bucks American how can you go wrong?

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

beantownbubba wrote:A reminder that Jay G is on live tonight at 9 eastern, which is 6 Pacific and 2 am Saturday GMT.

If you haven't seen a jay solo show, they're a lot of fun and worth your time. He has unerring taste for the pop gems he covers and his original stuff fits right in. At a mere 10 bucks American how can you go wrong?
I'm very much looking forward to it. Jay singing those pop gems makes me happy and I'm hoping we'll get at least a couple from Bitter Suite.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Got mine a few days ago (MA) and my impression is that most people have received them by now in all parts of the country. If you still don't have it, probably worth an inquiry.
LOL, I just got my "it's on its way" email from bandcamp this afternoon. As I said the shirt arrived a while ago so there are clearly some kinks in the system. Either that or I'm about to get a free t shirt :)