9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Post Reply
allisonsdc
Site Admin
Posts: 1109
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:55 pm
Location: Washington, DC

9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by allisonsdc »

Looking forward to the DC shows this weekend. Pre-game at my place on Saturday beginning around 1pm until whenever Worldwide Bill says it's time to leave. Let me know if you need directions. Hope to see you!
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

User avatar
Jonicont
Site Admin
Posts: 3449
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Marvin,NC

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by Jonicont »

In
Always go to the show

User avatar
Clams
Posts: 13676
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: City of Brotherly Love

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by Clams »

Hopefully in, just depends on what time I can hit the road and get to DC.

Thanks Allison!
I had my ticket, but 2020 got canceled

koshmar
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:35 am

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by koshmar »

Seeking just one ticket for Saturday. Thanks!

User avatar
Jonicont
Site Admin
Posts: 3449
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Marvin,NC

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by Jonicont »

koshmar wrote:Seeking just one ticket for Saturday. Thanks!
Check your pm
Always go to the show

uncle rickey
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:47 am

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by uncle rickey »

Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
Slow Ride Argument
Heroin Again
Birthday Boy
The Righteous Path
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Tornadoes
Women Without Whiskey
Armageddon’s Back in Town
The Unraveling
Gravity’s Gone
Play It All Night Long
First Air of Autumn
Thoughts and Prayers
Grievance Merchants
Awaiting Resurrection
A Ghost to Most
Goode’s Field Road
Shit Shots Count
Dead, Drunk and Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Sinkhole
Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Lookout Mountain
Zip City
Angels and Fuselage

uncle rickey
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:47 am

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by uncle rickey »

Night 2:

The Living Bubba
Filthy and Fried
Babies in Cages
Ramon Casiano
Puttin’ People on the Moon
Slow Ride Argument
Armageddon’s Back in Town
The Unraveling
Women Without Whiskey
Heathens
Sounds Better in the Song
Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
Marry Me
I’m Eighteen
Zip City
Awaiting Resurrection
Grievance Merchants
Thoughts and Prayers
Surrender Under Protest
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy —>
Sign of the Times —>
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
People Who Died*

*w/Paul McHugh and Ben Hackett

User avatar
gepman
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 am
Location: New Freedom PA

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by gepman »

Holy Shit that show rocked balls.

PPOTM was a beast (one of the better live versions of the songs I've ever heard).

Good 3 day weekend...

beantownbubba
Posts: 19168
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by beantownbubba »

gepman wrote:Holy Shit that show rocked balls.

PPOTM was a beast (one of the better live versions of the songs I've ever heard).

Good 3 day weekend...
PPOTM was incredible. Probably definitive, certainly a contender.
It's a battle for the very soul of the USA

beantownbubba
Posts: 19168
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by beantownbubba »

So now we know what it would sound like if the Ramones came back as a DBT cover band with, oh I don't know, maybe Eddie Hinton on vocals (oddly enough on a nite they didn't even play KKK). To paraphrase the Rhino box set, that was loud, fast but totally in control. Intense is the word I keep coming back to. It was an odd sensation that everything seemed to be played at warp speed yet nothing of the substance or nuance of the songs was lost.

As noted, PPOTM was particularly outstanding but it was a night of multiple highlights including Living Bubba, and to cop out only slightly, pretty much everything from WWW through to the end. I may have heard more intense versions of People Who Died, and louder versions and faster versions, but never quite this combination of all 3. Kudos to the road crew, which acquitted themselves quite well on their solos during PWD. Sign O' the Times was another intensely played and sung moment, perhaps the best I've heard, and even separated from PWD by the second part of Hell No it made for an incredible 1-2 punch w/ PWD.

It turns out that context/location matters and several songs/lyrics took on particular meaning in DC like all politicians being lying sacks of shits and generation lockdown going to drain the swamp for real. Patterson's lead in to Thoughts and Prayers was especially cogent and on target though I was a little surprised that a month after tha album's release (and longer since the "single" came out) he still feels the need to explain exactly whose thoughts and prayers are the problem. Incredibly loud and enthusiastic sing along to that one considering its newness.

The guitar work by all 3 players was terrific even by the high standards of this current tour. Patterson ripped off a couple of ear catching solos and Cooley and Jay played with authority and flair. For the first time (so I don't know if it's something new or something I just noticed) when Jay walked around his area of the stage while soloing he reminded me remarkably of Nils Lofgren (talking about physical movement, their playing styles are obviously different).

I was surprised to see Matt using a music stand to read the lyrics to The Unraveling while he sang.

I've commented previously about how good Grievance Merchants and Awaiting Resurrection sound when following each other as on the album. Turns out they sound just as good when played in "opposite order." As noted after one of the homecoming shows, following I'm 18 with Zip City is a stroke of genius by the stroker ace. I'm pretty sure that the intro to I'm 18 was a bit re-worked to excellent effect. Despite or maybe because of the general mayhem the quiter double shot of Heathens and Sounds Better were exquisite w/ Sounds Better once again raising goosebumps for me.

Unusually in my experience the sound was variable. As sometimes happens it started out a bit muddy, but was soon corrected to the usual high standard. The unusual part was that it slipped back to muddiness and back again a couple of times after the sweet spot was reached. Particularly noticeable on Cooley's vocals and Matt's bass which at times was the most distorted I can remember hearing.

The club was full to at least capacity and moving around was difficult yet I kept seeing heathens everywhere. It appeared to be an unusually large turn out by the usual suspects considering that there were plenty of people I know were there who I didn't get to see. I was especially glad that slipkid got to attend both shows. There were several first timers around me all of whom were somewhere between duly impressed and blown away by the rock show, except for the one guy who left in a huff after Patterson's charged intro to Thoughts and Prayers.

I caught only the very end of Buffalo Nichols set but the crowd response when he finished was very enthusiastic.

Another stellar, exciting, draining, satisfying night at the rock show proving once again the wisdom of always going to the show.
It's a battle for the very soul of the USA

User avatar
gepman
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 am
Location: New Freedom PA

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by gepman »

Bubba, you nailed it with the sound.
it'd be good for 2-3 songs, swing to the murky side, then swing back. It was odd.

gerg
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by gerg »

beantownbubba wrote:So now we know what it would sound like if the Ramones came back as a DBT cover band with, oh I don't know, maybe Eddie Hinton on vocals (oddly enough on a nite they didn't even play KKK). To paraphrase the Rhino box set, that was loud, fast but totally in control. Intense is the word I keep coming back to. It was an odd sensation that everything seemed to be played at warp speed yet nothing of the substance or nuance of the songs was lost.

As noted, PPOTM was particularly outstanding but it was a night of multiple highlights including Living Bubba, and to cop out only slightly, pretty much everything from WWW through to the end. I may have heard more intense versions of People Who Died, and louder versions and faster versions, but never quite this combination of all 3. Kudos to the road crew, which acquitted themselves quite well on their solos during PWD. Sign O' the Times was another intensely played and sung moment, perhaps the best I've heard, and even separated from PWD by the second part of Hell No it made for an incredible 1-2 punch w/ PWD.

It turns out that context/location matters and several songs/lyrics took on particular meaning in DC like all politicians being lying sacks of shits and generation lockdown going to drain the swamp for real. Patterson's lead in to Thoughts and Prayers was especially cogent and on target though I was a little surprised that a month after tha album's release (and longer since the "single" came out) he still feels the need to explain exactly whose thoughts and prayers are the problem. Incredibly loud and enthusiastic sing along to that one considering its newness.

The guitar work by all 3 players was terrific even by the high standards of this current tour. Patterson ripped off a couple of ear catching solos and Cooley and Jay played with authority and flair. For the first time (so I don't know if it's something new or something I just noticed) when Jay walked around his area of the stage while soloing he reminded me remarkably of Nils Lofgren (talking about physical movement, their playing styles are obviously different).

I was surprised to see Matt using a music stand to read the lyrics to The Unraveling while he sang.

I've commented previously about how good Grievance Merchants and Awaiting Resurrection sound when following each other as on the album. Turns out they sound just as good when played in "opposite order." As noted after one of the homecoming shows, following I'm 18 with Zip City is a stroke of genius by the stroker ace. I'm pretty sure that the intro to I'm 18 was a bit re-worked to excellent effect. Despite or maybe because of the general mayhem the quiter double shot of Heathens and Sounds Better were exquisite w/ Sounds Better once again raising goosebumps for me.

Unusually in my experience the sound was variable. As sometimes happens it started out a bit muddy, but was soon corrected to the usual high standard. The unusual part was that it slipped back to muddiness and back again a couple of times after the sweet spot was reached. Particularly noticeable on Cooley's vocals and Matt's bass which at times was the most distorted I can remember hearing.

The club was full to at least capacity and moving around was difficult yet I kept seeing heathens everywhere. It appeared to be an unusually large turn out by the usual suspects considering that there were plenty of people I know were there who I didn't get to see. I was especially glad that slipkid got to attend both shows. There were several first timers around me all of whom were somewhere between duly impressed and blown away by the rock show, except for the one guy who left in a huff after Patterson's charged intro to Thoughts and Prayers.

I caught only the very end of Buffalo Nichols set but the crowd response when he finished was very enthusiastic.

Another stellar, exciting, draining, satisfying night at the rock show proving once again the wisdom of always going to the show.
Nice recap, bubs. It was my first show with earplugs so I didn't quite catch the sound issues, as it was all compromised, but I had a blast. Really liked the sound of Armageddon live. Was hoping for Uncle Frank since it wasn't played Friday but so it goes. I'd trade one Uncle Frank for Shut Up and Get on the Place and People Who Died so all is forgiven. PPOTM killed.

I came in on BN third to last song and was surprised to see the venue already appearing to be at capacity. Probably a mix of factors, not the least of which being they were still on at the time most headliners go on there. But it was cool to see an opening act get a full room.

User avatar
Clams
Posts: 13676
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: City of Brotherly Love

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by Clams »

What struck me last night was how the intensity has really been turned up a few notches since Athens two weeks ago. At the two shows I saw this week the band was focused on the new songs (which IMO rock a lot harder in concert than they do on the record) and spreading the unraveling/resistance message. Patterson's especially fired up. Was great to hear Cooley play Filthy & Fried, crazy that a song so new already seems like an oldie. I was up front behind Worldwide Bill last night and from where we were (on the Jay side) I thought the sound was really good for the entire show, though not as crystal clear as Thursday night in Philadelphia. Was fun to look up and see all the "cool kids" rocking out on the balcony. As others have noted, PPOTM and People Who Died were both epic last night, and I'd say I'm Eighteen was right up there as well. There was one point in the middle of the show when I was hoping for a break in the action so I could go to the bar for a drink but they just unleashed one great song after another and it took like an hour before I could slip out, lol (which I did during the first half of Awaiting Resurrection).

I think my favorite moment from last night's show:

I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I ran monitors for fucking Fugazi, motherfuckers!
Image
Last edited by Clams on Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I had my ticket, but 2020 got canceled

User avatar
Clams
Posts: 13676
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: City of Brotherly Love

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by Clams »

Also, a huge thank you to Allison and her family for allowing a bunch of heathens to run amuck in their house for a few hours yesterday! Must add that you have not eaten cheese until the Cheeseman has prepared you a plate of his selections, explained each one to you in detail and then you go sit down in a corner to eat and allow each one to melt in your fucking mouth. So delicious and such a treat. Bravo JimmyC!!

Image
I had my ticket, but 2020 got canceled

User avatar
brettac1
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:33 am
Location: Wausau, WI
Contact:

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by brettac1 »

These sets look killer. First Air of Autumn. ❤️

beantownbubba
Posts: 19168
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by beantownbubba »

gerg wrote: Nice recap, bubs. It was my first show with earplugs so I didn't quite catch the sound issues, as it was all compromised, but I had a blast. Really liked the sound of Armageddon live. Was hoping for Uncle Frank since it wasn't played Friday but so it goes. I'd trade one Uncle Frank for Shut Up and Get on the Place and People Who Died so all is forgiven. PPOTM killed.

I came in on BN third to last song and was surprised to see the venue already appearing to be at capacity. Probably a mix of factors, not the least of which being they were still on at the time most headliners go on there. But it was cool to see an opening act get a full room.
Sorry I didn't get to meet you. It would have been fun after all these years.
It's a battle for the very soul of the USA

gerg
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: 9:30 Club Shows - Feb. 28-29, 2020

Post by gerg »

beantownbubba wrote:
gerg wrote: Nice recap, bubs. It was my first show with earplugs so I didn't quite catch the sound issues, as it was all compromised, but I had a blast. Really liked the sound of Armageddon live. Was hoping for Uncle Frank since it wasn't played Friday but so it goes. I'd trade one Uncle Frank for Shut Up and Get on the Place and People Who Died so all is forgiven. PPOTM killed.

I came in on BN third to last song and was surprised to see the venue already appearing to be at capacity. Probably a mix of factors, not the least of which being they were still on at the time most headliners go on there. But it was cool to see an opening act get a full room.
Sorry I didn't get to meet you. It would have been fun after all these years.
No doubt. I wasn't sure I was going to make it. One of these days!

I haven't been too engaged in the DBT Facebook group; yikes, we've come a long way since Nine Bullets.

Post Reply