Webster Hall, 2/21

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

glennrwordman

Webster Hall, 2/21

Post by glennrwordman »

Site of the single best DBT or any other band show I've ever seen, 2/11/17.

Who's in for Webster Hall, NYC?
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Whispering Pines

Re: Webster Hall, 2/21

Post by Whispering Pines »

I'm in with a newbie in tow. My third time seeing the Truckers at Webster Hall. The first was the last time I saw them with Jason and was kind of a bummer. Then there was a glorious Big To-Do blow out! And the show you mentioned-- the day after, gasp, I spent my 65th birthday seeing them out in Westbury-- which rocked the house.

tweedrules

Post by tweedrules »

Anyone know what time DBT hits the stage?

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

tweedrules wrote:Anyone know what time DBT hits the stage?
Should be Buffalo Nichols at 8, DBT at 9.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Why is this show not sold out? Color me not only surprised but also feeling guilty for not being there, which I normally would be except that this year's schedule is so crazy.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:Why is this show not sold out? Color me not only surprised but also feeling guilty for not being there, which I normally would be except that this year's schedule is so crazy.
Not sure! I don't recall whether the 2017 Webster show sold out in advance or day of. I THINK it did sell out in advance, but since I had my tix early, I was not paying a lot of attention.

I'll do my poor bit to represent, Bubba.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Will be there with several first timers as well

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
Slow Ride Argument
Heroin Again
A Ghost to Most
Goode’s Field Road
Sounds Better in the Song
Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
Women Without Whiskey
Armageddon’s Back in Town
Gravity’s Gone
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Babies in Cages
Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Grievance Merchants
Awaiting Resurrection
Surrender Under Protest
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Lookout Mountain
Marry Me
Thoughts and Prayers
Once They Banned Imagine
Play It All Night Long
Zip City
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

One song short of playing the whole album.
Nice set.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

uncle rickey wrote:Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
Slow Ride Argument
Heroin Again
A Ghost to Most
Goode’s Field Road
Sounds Better in the Song
Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
Women Without Whiskey
Armageddon’s Back in Town
Gravity’s Gone
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Babies in Cages
Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Grievance Merchants
Awaiting Resurrection
Surrender Under Protest
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Lookout Mountain
Marry Me
Thoughts and Prayers
Once They Banned Imagine
Play It All Night Long
Zip City
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
Or, how the Drive-By Truckers defeat hunger, sickness, and sore feet. Once again, a Webster Hall show raises the bar for DBT shows everywhere.

Even though "Made Up English Oceans' features Cooley on acoustic, and they followed it with an elegiac "Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun", in a way it felt like setting up a series of waves as the show flowed onward. From the start through an utterly incandescent "Goode's Field Road"; and especially the next extended batch of songs from "Sounds Better in the Song" (again, so appreciative of an audience that shuts up and listens to a quieter song), through the pulsing ebb and flow of "Awaiting Resurrection", only to quickly re-elevate with the grouping from "Surrender Under Protest" till "Thoughts and Prayers"...and then Cooley, who, it appears more and more (after only 25 years of analysis ;) ) plays whatever the f**k he wants, when he wants, drops it all down for a simply gorgeous "Once They Banned Imagine", a song that I do not always connect to, but here, despite its placement where you'd more normally find a rager leading in to the end of the show, it was breathtaking.

Highlights for me were "A Ghost To Most" (I know, I know). Just when I think my favorite song can't possible affect me in a more powerful way, it does. The aforementioned "Goode's Field Road" was downright sinister, pulling all the darkness in the song right up to the surface. The "quieter" Cooley songs, "Sounds Better..." and "Once They Banned Imagine" were heart-wrenching moments, but overall it was the sheer power than won the match. "Ronnie and Neil", which raised the roof; "Women Without Whiskey", blew it out. "Armageddon's Back In Town", puts the lie to the idea that the Truckers "don't 'rock' anymore", and is quickly becoming a staple; and an utterly blazing run through "Surrender Under Protest"/"The KKK..."/"Lookout Mountain"/"Marry Me".

The sound, at least from up front was phenomenal; loud, but clear. (Amazingly, I thought Brad's drums could've been louder, but that was likely because I was right in front of the guitar amps). They all sang again with real precision, and, if it matters at all, seemed super-focused and almost like they had something to prove. There was very little pre-song banter. There were few drink breks. Patterson did a bit of an intro to "Babies in Cages", but other than that, there was almost no chatter. Didn't matter. Ending with a fairly streamlined "Hell, No..." (sans the Prince interlude) brought things to a tremendous close.

The two Webster Hall shows I've seen easily rank in two of the top five rock shows I've ever seen. Something about a sold-out (or close to it last night) New York City weekend show seems to set something off in our fellas. Last night, they let the music do the talking, seamlessly integrating all but one "The Unraveling" song into a 2:20 set, and sending us all out into the cold New York night ecstatic. It wasn't till afterwards I realized "Shit; I haven't eaten since 11:00 AM!" At least last night, thanks to the band, any sustenance other than music seemed unnecessary. ("R-E-S-I-C-T!")

Clams

Post by Clams »

Interested to hear thoughts about the opener Buffalo Nichols
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Clams wrote:Interested to hear thoughts about the opener Buffalo Nichols
Thought they were very good. They're a duo, guitar/dobro and drums. Simple, hypnotic bluesy songs. He's got a terrific voice, and she's a good and sensitive accompanist. (Would've been easy for the drums to overwhelm). Straight-forward, and with a powerful final song, along the lines of "What It Means", but with the added emotional force of the singer being African-American. They don't have any music out at the moment; they're working on their debut record, so it was hard to follow some of the songs, but good stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

glennrwordman wrote:
Clams wrote:Interested to hear thoughts about the opener Buffalo Nichols
Thought they were very good. They're a duo, guitar/dobro and drums. Simple, hypnotic bluesy songs. He's got a terrific voice, and she's a good and sensitive accompanist. (Would've been easy for the drums to overwhelm). Straight-forward, and with a powerful final song, along the lines of "What It Means", but with the added emotional force of the singer being African-American. They don't have any music out at the moment; they're working on their debut record, so it was hard to follow some of the songs, but good stuff.
Thx
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck