If "American Idiot" can be a Broadway musical, why not SRO?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

DJ Golf

If "American Idiot" can be a Broadway musical, why not SRO?

Post by DJ Golf »

Just curious.

(For those unaware, there is now a Broadway musical based on the Green Day album "American Idiot." I'm not really a musicals guy, but I'd probably go to see the touring production of "Southern Rock Opera" when it came to the Durham Performing Arts Center.)

dime in the gutter

Re: If "American Idiot" can be a Broadway musical, why not S

Post by dime in the gutter »

please god, no musicals for dbt.

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

GOOD GOD PLEASE !!!! NO !!!

I hope this is just a Wake & Bake statement !!!

DJ Golf

Post by DJ Golf »

Um...I'm kiddin' a little bit, y'all.

(But seriously - you'd go see it, wouldn't you?)

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I vote for a Pizza Deliverance musical. Just because of President's Penis Is Missing!
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I don't think I would like a bunch of Broadway actors with their "broadway" phrasing dancing and singing "Ronnie and Neil, Ronnie and Neil..." like it was Grease or something. I'd probably walk out.

The album is fine as it is. It tells the story of how my generation came of age in the late seventies and early eighties. It has all the drinking, drugs and partying we all did. Acknowledges those friends who died before reaching adulthood. Includes the shitty apartments and lousy jobs we had to take to pursue our dreams in music. And what seventeen year old guy didn't have a girlfriend two years younger than him whose parents didn't trust him with their daughter (and for good reason)? It also talks about the post-MLK/civil rights era South. All this against the backdrop of the Lynyrd Skynyrd story. Why ruin it with a bunch of Broadway hacks?
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

YES--but only performed in Jan,....by DBT....in Athens.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

bogart

Post by bogart »

When he first started writing it, didn't Patterson envision a play, or screenplay?

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:I don't think I would like a bunch of Broadway actors with their "broadway" phrasing dancing and singing "Ronnie and Neil, Ronnie and Neil..." like it was Grease or something. I'd probably walk out.

Wow. Now that you put it that way, I'd probably sit there with my jaw hanging open and a dazed look on my face. I would then take a few minutes to collect myself and then run screaming for the exit.
If you don't run you rust

The Avon Lady

Post by The Avon Lady »

http://allmusicsite.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... peras.html

10 Best Rock Operas
Pity the poor rock opera: the most garish example of pure decadence the music industry has to offer. It's not enough to put out a record -- you have to make a self-proclaimed mah-sterpiece. It's like one of those horror stories you hear about famous people who have so much money, they start going insane. In honor of Green Day's 'American Idiot' reaching Broadway and Roger Waters' revival of 'The Wall,' here's to the rock operas that don't make us want to shatter glass and murder the fat lady.

SRO at #3

NickB

Post by NickB »

As soon as that happens I'll quit being a fan. I hope Patterson and Cooley have the good sense not to allow it to happen but I just don't think that the band will get big enough to have a broadway musical.
You Can't Always Get What You Want.......

NickB

Post by NickB »

Zip City wrote:
NickB wrote:As soon as that happens I'll quit being a fan. I hope Patterson and Cooley have the good sense not to allow it to happen but I just don't think that the band will get big enough to have a broadway musical.

you sound like a fickle fan

It sounds a little fickle but I'd be seriously pissed off that they'd sold out but then my other fave band the Stones have been selling out and I still love them.

NickB

Post by NickB »

There's no such thing as selling out, only buying in.... :ugeek:[/quote]

Wise words my friend, wise words. OK lets put it another way I wouldn't be going to see the musical of SRO. But......I can actually see it working. I hate musicals they're just too cheesy for me but I loved Buddy.