DBT: The Myth, The Legend, The Truth

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

DBT: The Myth, The Legend, The Truth

Post by beantownbubba »

Patterson's response to a question on FB about what the band's "big break" was:

I’m not sure DBT ever actually had a “ Big Break”.
Certainly a lot of breaks and some good luck and a whole lot of forward momentum push from us and those who’ve worked on our behalf (Jenn Bryant !!!)
We never took any great leap but have always pushed steady forward for a really long fucking time. There’ve been slumps and disappointments but we’ve always continued pushing and had a really great rebound of fortune with the last album and 3+ years of touring behind it. (You have to break some eggs to make an omelette).
Some milestones:
1. Bubbapalooza 1997 Star Bar Atlanta - (met Wes and Jyl Freed and played first ever sold out show anywhere).
2. Haunted Hillbilly Hoedown in Pittsburgh 1999 - was seen by Eric Weisbard (Village Voice, later Spin) and Ann Powers (NYT, later LA Times and NPR) leading to first national press.
3. SRO - having Isbell join, 4 stars in Rolling Stone, landing major label, agent (Frank Riley & Matt Hickey who still book us 18 years later) and mgnt.
4. DD saw us moving into bus touring.
5. Mike Luba managing us 2005-7, guiding us through Isbell breakup and helping us get out of terrible financial situation that previous managers got us into, then hooking us up w Kevin Morris and Christine Stauder who have managed us wonderfully since 2007.
6. People like Traci Thomas and later Ken Weinstein have always done a phenomenal job with publicity. Our amazing road crews past and present, former members and present members. Fans and more friends than I can count. Special shout out to David Barbe who is way more than our producer, he’s also guided us through these decades of ups and downs and is a brother and amazing friend.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Re: DBT: The Myth, The Legend, The Truth

Post by scotto »

...an overnight sensation after 25 years.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:...an overnight sensation after 25 years.
:D Getting pretty close to being able to say that literally, on both the sensation and years measures.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

scotto wrote:...an overnight sensation after 25 years.
^^^ Good one scotto! :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

For anyone who has not read it, here is Weisbard's Village Voice article: https://www.villagevoice.com/1999/12/28 ... olesville/
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse