2020 Nuci's/Homecoming fundraiser and DVD/Blu-Ray offer

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

2020 Nuci's/Homecoming fundraiser and DVD/Blu-Ray offer

Post by uncle rickey »

Dear Friends,

It’s that time of year, or, well, close to it (65 days away!), when so many of us will show up together in Athens, GA.

DBT! The 40 Watt! Homecoming!

Like many of us, I meet people at other shows throughout the year and encourage them to join. Seeing these folks in Athens for the first time, welcomed right into the middle of everything, is like nothing else.

Sarah and I were welcomed like that when we arrived on the Thursday of our very first Homecoming back in 2009. Needless to say, it’s wonderful to be part of this growing community, and we haven’t missed a Homecoming since that excellent weekend.

Now we arrive in Athens a week before the shows start, host parties in our AirBnb, help arrange the Hangout (which has moved from a friend’s house to the Transmetropolitan, and now to Max, which it’s almost outgrown!), the Flicker pre-party, the Nuci’s auction… There are more gatherings every year. And every year there are more friends huddling tight to fit into group pics.

When I read your posts about last year’s Homecoming, I see a group of people from so many different places and backgrounds, dealing with unique celebrations, struggles, sometimes even tragedies. There’s something each of us seems to express as well as champion, though (something I’ve come to count on since that weekend in 2009): the experience of being truly and uniquely welcomed. Over and again, we are people who show up for each other.

I’m so proud that we are also people who show up for others who need us by supporting Nuci’s Space during Homecoming. If you don’t know about this beloved and inspiring organization in Athens, about their focus on the needs of Athens’ musicians, and their mission to prevent suicide, please visit http://www.nuci.org. I cherish the opportunity to give as much as I can to Nuci’s every year at Homecoming, and to ask you to join me.

Last year this community came together and knocked our Nuci’s fundraising goal out of the park, raising well over $17,000 through our donation drive. Seriously, there are more Athenian musicians getting the care and training they need to thrive because of us.

Our DBT community has supported Nuci’s life-saving work for many years—well before Sarah and I first joined up with everybody at Homecoming. This year, maybe we can actually reach $20,000! Imagine us showing up at that level for the folks in Athens most in need of this community’s welcome.

It’ll be great to see so many of you in February! Thanks for all you do to show up, both live and virtually, for the best week of the year.

In gratitude,

Luke
a/k/a uncle rickey

Each of the past eight years, we at 3DD have produced a DVD (or Blu-Ray) of a full DBT show that you can’t get anywhere else. This year’s offering is a little different: an intimate Dimmer Twins show from June 16, 2018, held in the backyard of beloved Heathens Jeff and Beth Schneider. DBT friends traveled from around the country and as far away as Europe to be together in Long Island, and (those of us who remember it) were treated to a memorable evening: revealing, poignant, sometimes loose and ramshackle, and often hilarious as Patterson and Cooley traded songs and stories. The warm feeling that radiated from the tiny stage in Jeff and Beth’s backyard out to the audience and back again to the stage made for a night I’ll never forget. We’ll post some clips from the show below.

Thank you Luke

So, you ever wonder what it would be like to sit in a backyard (it’s a big one) with 200 hardcore Heathens and listen to the Dimmer Twins? Well, it was a night chock full of love, laughter, tunes and tequila (lots of tequila). Presented here for you, with permission (and at the behest of) the Twins themselves is a video of that enchanted evening

Here's a few clips

Obtaining your discs is a TWO STEP PROCESS

STEP ONE: Donate to Nucis

A $20 minimum donation for the dvd

A $25 minimum donation for the Blu-ray

you can do that below
This link allows you to choose between Paypal or Credit Card

https://nuci.wufoo.com/forms/z1e217jv1m8osey/

Donations to this link will be automatically reported to us at 3DD. Don't forget step Two

Check
If you're sending a check, make sure you include "3DD" and your user name (if you have one) in the memo line!

Mail it to:

Nuci's Space
396 Oconee Street
Athens, GA 30601

STEP TWO: PAY FOR SHIPPING AND HANDLING

SHIPPING AND HANDLING IS PAID TO ME

S&H for the DVD is $6.50

S&H for the BLURAY is $7.50

pay me via Paypal or Venmo--My Paypal address is jonicont@aol.com
My Venmo address is also jonicont@aol.com

Or you can send me a check (Email me (jonicont@threedimesdown.com) for my address)

We appreciate folks who put in a little extra for the S&H but please pay the exact amount. That indicates whether you want a bluray or dvd.

Thanks to everyone who donated last year.

ALWAYS GO TO THE SHOW
Jonicont

Coney

Re: 2020 Nuci's/Homecoming fundraiser and DVD/Blu-Ray offer

Post by Coney »

I am not even sure where to start. Compared to many of you, I am brand new to this party. It's only been a few years that DBT (and as result, Linda Phillips and Nuci's Space) has been in my life, but now I cannot imagine this group of people and music not in my life.
This past HC was our first. I met people I had known through social media but wasn't totally convinced they really existed (you all do! and it was awesome!). I saw three mind blowing shows at the iconic 40 Watt, and I spent several hours at Nuci's Space, soaking up the vibe, participating in an incredible auction, and getting a first hand sense of the power of this little organization that was born out of one woman's determination and passion that those who suffer like her son Nuci Phillips suffered, have the access to mental health care that Nuci did not have.
For those of you who do not know the history of this organization, Nuci Phillips was an artist/musician and very young man when he committed suicide at the age of 22 on Thanksgiving Day in 1996. He had been living in Athens and his mother Linda decided the best way to contend with her pain was to create something that would honor Nuci and help others. And now Nuci's Space has been thriving and growing in its service delivery for nearly 20 years.
I met Linda several years ago after I read her book about Nuci, A Beautiful Here, and reached out to her to express how deeply touched I was by this book. Linda is an incredibly warm and loving person, and she so kindly responded and has stayed in touch. I asked her how the DBT community has helped Nuci's Space through its fundraising efforts such as this one. The numbers for this past year are impressive:
HC auction: $10,900
3DD Fundraisers: $34,614
Total from the HC weekend: $45,514
In terms of how that money helps the organization:
2,381 subsidized appointments with professional mental health providers annually;
235 uninsured musicians get access to subsidized mental health care annually;
50% of Camp Amp participants receive partial or full scholarships. (The Camp Amp band opened for DBT one of the nights of HC. These young musicians were fantastic. They were a tight, cohesive band with strong stage presence and they ROCKED!)

Every town should have a Nuci's Space. Linda Phillips and her team have created something extraordinary, and I feel so privileged to be able to help financially. And I am so very grateful that I stumbled upon DBT and Linda and Nuci's Space. So please donate, and know that each dollar you give is used in the best possible way.
Beeesides, them's highway miles...

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

This came up in my “Facebook Memories” today; from December 10, 2016:

“Over the years, I've periodically gotten into listening jags with a particular band, where basically it was all I listened to. There was Richard Buckner & Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers in '02/'03; The Frames; The Band & Nirvana (together, for most of 1993 into '94); a year of so of nothing much more than a 100-minute cassette tape (!) of "The Bends" on one side and all but 6 seconds of "OK Computer" on the other.

I have a pretty varied musical palette. Not sure what moves me occasionally to become so monomaniacal. But it happens enough, as Tom Waits would say (there was a time there, too...) that I'd remark on it.

Right now, it really is all Drive-By Truckers. Both speaking to my current mood, and elevating it at the same time. (Even "forced" my sister Abby to listen to all three discs of "It's Great to Be Alive" while driving her down to her new home in Florida). (ed note: she liked it).

Seeing them, hopefully still peaking, in February at Webster. Meanwhile, excuse me if I put my headphones back on.”

Little did I know what was ahead of me on that cold December day in 2016, before I’d even seen one show.

Since then I’ve seen them in New York City--that Webster Hall show referenced above remains the single best rock show by any band I’ve ever seen--Port Chester, Philadelphia, Jersey City, Washington D.C., Woodstock, Brooklyn, and two consecutive HeAthens Homecomings in beautiful Athens, Georgia.

If all it was was just the shows, the band, and the experience I’ve had at the concerts, it would be among the peak experiences of my life. But, of course, the shows are not the only part of this.

At a time where there is so much division, so much alienation, so much that keeps us apart, hiding in our respective homes, workplaces, sometimes afraid to reach out to others, there is this beautiful community of outreach, of connection, of, I dare say, love. It is so different from the current global mood, that at times I hesitate to tell people about it, for fear of sounding proselytizing (“Have you heard the good band? Let me tell you about the...hey; where are you running to?”) or of not having it understood that it’s my experience, my wanting to share it, not suggesting that anyone else would have the same experience as me. Far from it. But wanting to communicate that there is something special, something ineffable, that makes the Drive-By Truckers community, these Heathens, these Three Dimes Down-ers, we happy few, a truly safe and special place for those people fortunate enough to have stumbled (or been dragged) into it.

Even now, today, we saw the community rise as one to support a dear member of our group struck by a serious health issue. There was no question at all that's what would happen.

And of course we now know how our community has extended this passion for connection, this desire to do, and be, good for each other and the world.

Nuçi’s Space has long been the “charity of choice” for the Truckers. In a recent interview (the podcast recently posted here on 3DD), Patterson spoke of doing a benefit for Nuçi’s before there WAS a Nuçi’s. He spoke of the remarkable work Linda Phillips, the mother of the late Nuçi Phillips, has done over the years, and how the staff, now led by the estimable Bob Sleppy, has carried on the founder’s work to this day, doing more and more under the banner of Nuçi’s Space’s mission:

“Nuçi’s Space advocates for and helps to alleviate the suffering for those living with a brain illness and fights to end the stigma of mental illness.

To accomplish our mission, Nuçi’s Space maintains a health and resource center for musicians as a safe space to seek support and guidance, provides access to affordable, obstacle-free professional care, actively participates in treatment and educates about awareness, prevention and the risk factors of brain illnesses.

Nuçi’s Space, and all those who represent the organization, will champion a culture of kindness and support to all in our community and maintain the highest standards of caring in all that we do through Nurturing | Understanding | Compassion | Insight.”

(He also spoke of this community challenging, with their astonishing generosity, the band themselves to raise their giving game. Which, of course, they do, in many ways, visible and not, not even including being the very reason this community exists in the first place).

One can see that aside from the mental health aspect, the values of Nuçi’s are so very close to those of our community.

In recent years, the 3DD community, and now including the DBT Facebook group (where there is much overlap), and others who actually live their lives NOT online (!), have made supporting Nuçi’s a cornerstone of the Homecoming Weekend. In 2018, from a special blu-ray/DVD, t-shirt, handwritten lyric raffle, auction, and more, there was over $32K raised. Last year, with similar items and action, remarkably, around $45K was raised by our community. For any non-profit, that level of giving is a game-changer, and for the people they serve, literally a life-changer.

Of that, $17K was from the Blu-ray/DVD drive above. As one who was lucky enough to attend that magical evening, let me say if even 10% of what was being felt in that beautiful backyard comes across, you’ll have an amazing feeling sitting and watching those two amazing men, Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley, do what brought us all here in the first place: play, with warmth, humor, and deep friendship for each other, and for the community around them, on that night and so many others.

We have the unique opportunity to take this special thing, and extend it into another community with whom we are so entwined, and know that every cent is doing real good in the world, helping people find community, care, and an actual place to safely receive compassionate, knowledgeable treatment. When you watch and listen to the blu-ray or DVD, know how much more it is than “just” the remarkable songs you’re hearing.

Thanks to Headhunter, Uncle Rickey, Cooley Girl, Jonicont, and so many others for making this happen year after year, and again this year. See you in February...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Looking forward to this Dimmer Twins show on DVD! The music is fantastic (as always) -- but this one's worth it for the Cooley/Hood banter alone! Ever since this show, I've added the term "horsefarm drunk" into my everyday vernacular. BUT, aside from the Dimmer Twins music and tales, this is a great offer because all proceeds benefit Nuci's Space, an incredible organization focused on suicide prevention and helping Athens musicians. I wish DC...and many other cities...had a Nuci's Space. One of the highlights of Homecoming for me each year is seeing the Camp Amped band open for DBT. This is a young band from Nuci's who won the opportunity to play before the Homecoming crowd, and it's always a treat. I hope all you heAthens support this fundraiser and enjoy this amazing Dimmer Twins show. Let's make this another record-breaking year of fundraising by the 3DD community to support Nuci's and all their great work!
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Hey yall!

This is a fundraiser we have participated in for several years running. I have a good chunk of shelf-space devoted to these DVD's and they are delicious snacks that hold us over throughout the year, until we pack the bologna sandwiches and head over to Athens to meet up with our chosen family of HeAthens once again.

Being [sort of] an Athens homer, I count myself lucky to get to personally benefit from live music experiences in Athens multiple times a year. Nuci's Space underwrites so many of these experiences (and by extension those that occur out on tour) by providing critical, life-saving support services back home here in this community.

We are proud to continue our support of Nuci's Space. See you in February!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Hey y'all, as one of the few who has already seen and watched this video (several times!!), I tell ya you NEED to own this.

Jonicont was kind enough to send me an advance copy since a) it was at my house and b) most of the night has been lost in my memory bank due to uh, circumstances beyond my control (see Tom Waits - The Piano has been drinking and don't accept cookies baked by HeAthens after pounding tequila with Cooley).

The music and quality of the video is superb (an amazing job by Dr. John) but as has been pointed out, the banter is worth the price of admission alone.
More entertaining than just about anything I've ever heard at a regular show.

Any donation to NUCI's is always a good thing but when you get this as a 'reward/bonus'-- heck that's a no brainer. And no you don't need to be horse farm drunk to appreciate that.

Send your donations in today!!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Props to Big Tom for the microphone feed
Always go to the show

Flea

Post by Flea »

headhunter wrote:Hey y'all, as one of the few who has already seen and watched this video (several times!!), I tell ya you NEED to own this.

Jonicont was kind enough to send me an advance copy since a) it was at my house and b) most of the night has been lost in my memory bank due to uh, circumstances beyond my control (see Tom Waits - The Piano has been drinking and don't accept cookies baked by HeAthens after pounding tequila with Cooley).

The music and quality of the video is superb (an amazing job by Dr. John) but as has been pointed out, the banter is worth the price of admission alone.

Any donation to NUCI's is always a good thing but when you get this as a 'reward/bonus'-- heck that's a no brainer. And no you don't need to be horse farm drunk to appreciate that.

I gave you that cookie before you pounded tequila!

"You know the bottle ain't to blame and I ain't trying to
It don't make you do a thing it just lets you"
Now it's dark.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Flea wrote:
headhunter wrote:Hey y'all, as one of the few who has already seen and watched this video (several times!!), I tell ya you NEED to own this.

I gave you that cookie before you pounded tequila!

"You know the bottle ain't to blame and I ain't trying to
It don't make you do a thing it just lets you"
The timeline of wastrelness is easy to f**k up.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Unfortunately a number of folks ignored the mantra “I ain’t good with numbers I just count on knowin’ when I’m high enough”
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

glennrwordman wrote:The timeline of wastrelness is easy to f**k up.
Jonicont wrote:Unfortunately a number of folks ignored the mantra “I ain’t good with numbers I just count on knowin’ when I’m high enough”
Nice.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Jonicont wrote:Props to Big Tom for the microphone feed
Just glad it turned out OK. I barely remember the second half.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

BigTom wrote: I barely remember the second half.
There is a lot of that going around.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Jonicont wrote:Unfortunately a number of folks ignored the mantra “I ain’t good with numbers I just count on knowin’ when I’m high enough
Is that a thing?
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Just curious: what tequila were they passing about?
Now it's dark.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Patron usually

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Flea wrote:Just curious: what tequila were they passing about?
I believe it was both Herradura and Riazul that night.

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

It was mostly Riazul and that's the bottle that was on the stage with them. One of my favorite anejo's.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

This offer is closed.
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Some housekeeping

If you placed an order after 2/7, your discs were mailed on 2/20 and should be in your hands shortly.

If you ordered before 2/7, the discs should have been delivered unless
1- I screwed up
2- The Post Office screwed up
3- You haven't paid the S&H (only 3 people)--email reminders have been sent--please check your spam folder

Contact me jonicont@threedimesdown.com to resolve any problems
Always go to the show