Philly, 1/1/11

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Philly, 1/1/11

Post by Clams »

Mummers Parade and Van07's house...

See how happy Damon looks with his coffee?

Sound check...

Got them pretty road cases...
If you don't run you rust

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

beautiful family Clams!!! you are one lucky man!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams, you've outdone yourself. Great pictures!

Although you could have let the boy stand next to Shonna... :mrgreen:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Slipkid42 wrote:Clams, that is just plain awesome. You are a man w/a plan. Donut strategy gives you early lead for DBT fan of the year. Could ya imagine walking up to say Ozzie's tour bus w/donuts? (actually that might be fun). No other band is as accessible to their fans as the Truckers (not since the days of the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, anyway).

Mentioning Ozzie reminds me of something a friend of mine told me a couple years back. He was playing with one of the band's on the Ozfest. When that tour was over we were hanging out and someone asked him what Ozzie was like. He said, "I don't know. Never met the guy." Then he explained how fifteen minutes before Ozzie arrives at the venue, all the other musicians must clear out of the backstage area. No one, not even the other bands on the tour, get to meet Ozzie, Sharon and the kids. He spent however many months on the Ozfest and only saw Ozzie from the arena floor.

Sorry I missed the show last night. I wasn't feeling that well and didn't want to risk a two hour drive home from Philly late at night if I was too tired. Also, I scored an audition with a cover band that plays alot of shows in my area, so I took a free night to learn the chords to a bunch of songs to prepare myself. I'll have to catch you all again at a later time.

Great pics, Clams.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Van

Post by Van »

David get pics. Congrats on meeting the band and going to the sound check.

njMark

Post by njMark »

I saw Shonna walking down 4th st. when I was driving up to south street and I thought about saying hi or something but I wasn't sure if that was cool or not, not too sure how it would be percieved, some random guy yelling hey while she was walking down the street. Definitely impressed and a little jealous of ya Clams. Good job man, I hope to bring my son to a show when he gets a little older.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

That's just alsum clams.
Problem is, you've raised the bar incredibly high for me according to my soonerette.

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

Great pics clams. Thanks so much for sharing! You must be raising your son tough; wearing an Emmit Smith's jersey in Philly takes some stones ;)

guinness

Post by guinness »

Clams - What a great way to kick off the year! A meet & greet, soundcheck, pics, a kick ass ROCKSHOW.... How much better can one day get? And we were all treated to "Panties". It's gonna be a good year.
Paying for a house but that bitch lives in it now

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Carl Perkins' Cadillac
Goode's Field Road
A Ghost to Most
The Night G.G. Allin Came to Town
Panties in Your Purse
Santa Fe
Women Without Whiskey
That Man I Shot
Self-Destructive Zones
This Fucking Job
Get Downtown
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Birthday Boy
Lookout Mountain
Marry Me
The Company I Keep
3 Dimes Down
Let There Be Rock
Encore:
I Used to be a Cop
Zip City
Mercy Buckets
Everybody Needs Love
Shut Up and Get on the Plane

Details/impressions later. Naptime for now.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Happy New Year Clams!
What a great way to sart 2011...
So sweet to share your favorite band w/ your family,
my wife and daughter were both hooked after their first shows...
Thanks for sharing your awesome day.
Cheers!
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

great pics and memories, clams.

what is the mummer's parade?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Clams wrote:Image

3 rock stars and a dad.

guinness

Post by guinness »

Which one of those banjo playing Mummers is actually Cooley in drag?
Paying for a house but that bitch lives in it now

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Oh my god. The fact that you made that happen for your kids (and you!!!!!) has me full out crying, not teary. CLAMS!!!WOW!!!!!
damn, shonna and your wife are both smokin hot too!
NSFW

KY KAT

Post by KY KAT »

Lets see, first Clams Jr. gets his drawing of DBT put on their myspace page this past year then... he
delivers coffee to the crew and band, gets his own private show along with the family and has a bunch of
very cool pics made with band and crew. Mason, I can't compete with that. You'd better be showing ol'
Dad lots of love after all that. David, the dad of the year contest is over already - you win (hanging head).
So stoked you guys got to have such a great experience - sweet beyond words.
Hope all 3DDers have a good and blessed year.....

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Be good to rock n roll, and It will be good to you.
Keep calm and have a cigar

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Excellent score Clams.

I brought my 13 year old to Richmond this fall. He met Brad on the street and Craig gave him a t-shirt. But if he reads this thread you are going to make me look bad in his eyes, scoring an invite on the tour bus and a private sound check show. As my friend Tony from Newark would say, "that's a score!"
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

alsum clams!!!
sounds like a killer time!!!
love it...
ive been stalking them for a few years now ;)
and can't get over how great everyone associated with the band is!!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Eh. I met Clams. He ain't all that.

And u guys are just making him insufferable.

Actually, the Clams family, from oldest to youngest, is absolutely ALSUM. Many, many thanks to them for their hospitality and making the Philly show possible for me. Didn't get to meet the guitar god, which is too bad, since i had a management contract all set and ready to go, but hopefully next time.

Oh, u mean there was a rock show? More later, just got home, exhausted and hungry.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

beantownbubba wrote:Eh. I met Clams. He ain't all that.

well of course...
we knew that! 8-)

he aint the rock star in the family...
he gonna be the old gray haired daddy that gonna be driving the limo ;)

sorry for the dr hook song reference :lol:

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

SeanP wrote:

well of course...
we knew that! 8-)

he aint the rock star in the family...
he gonna be the old gray haired daddy that gonna be driving the limo ;)

sorry for the dr hook song reference :lol:

Love the Dr. Hook song reference!!!!! I love the Clams family! Next up, Clams Jr. shredding on People Who Died!
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Let's see...

Got lost on the way to my friends' house where i was staying after the NYE show, so didn't get to sleep til 530 or so. Took 4 trains on three different transit systems plus a cab to get to the show and was feeling pretty beat up before it started. And i am so incredibly glad that i made the effort, so that should tell you how good of a show it was :D I will say, tho, that i have no idea how the band does what they do night after night. It's incredible, and impressive.

If NYE was a "statement game" then last nite in Philly was more like casually showing off during practice before the game. You know, like when basketball players do their playground tricks and baseball players hit 10 straight dingers during BP. To me the show felt like "we're so good that we can do whatever the fuck we want and it's gonna be great." Stripped down from the night before in terms of showmanship and supporting players, w/ a much more country oriented tilt to the early part of the set and playing SEVEN songs that they hadn't played either of the previous 2 nites, one of which was a 36 song marathon (stats courtesy of Uncle Rickey Disinformation LLC w/ an assist by Penny Lane Productions), they showed the kind of depth and flexibility and stretchability that few bands attempt and even fewer can pull off. And it was terrific. In its way, the show stood up to the epic fireworks of the previous night and i don't believe anybody could have left the theater feeling shortchanged.

I've said it before and I'll say it now: It really doesn't matter what the band chooses to play. It just works, all of it. They are so good individually and collectively that they just make magic. And i think "Everybody Needs Love" is probably Patterson's best vocal. Eddie H himself would be proud, i think, which is a pretty damn big compliment :) It didn't matter in the momentum of the overall show but i did think it was kind of odd that they did a "soul music set" on NYE but didn't include "Everybody" so it was nice to catch up w/ it the next nite.

The newbies I brought to the NYC show all said that their one complaint was that the vocals weren't clear enuf, and i couldn't really argue w/ that. They were pretty typical for a dbt show, not bad, but certainly not clear enuf to get all that much of the lyrics if you're unfamiliar w/ the songs. Well, sure enuf, last nite in Philly the vocals were amazingly clear, the best i've heard from this band ever, which added yet another element of enjoyment to the show. And as long as we're talking tech, the lighting was again first rate which i hope means that the "upgrade" is a permanent part of the show.

There were a number of non musical hilites to the evening including once again meeting a bunch of 3DD'ers for the first time, enjoying the terrific hospitality of the Clams family and having Uncle Rickey tell me that i had won the "best t shirts of the wkend" award. :D

Bottom line: It is a privilege to be able to see this band at this time. They are at the peak of their game and this weekend was a fantastic experience I will not forget. I also should say something somewhere about how much fun the band seems to be having on stage. It's a very cool thing to see.

But goddamn, it bugs me more than ever that more people don't get to experience what we hear. It just ain't right.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

From left to right, Eric (not on here), Karmadog, (thanks again for the shirts), Indian Rider Oz (modelling said shirt), Uncle Rickey, Me, Bill in CT

More Philly photos are up here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... d91eaf05da

Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

Yo Clams great to see ya & tha whole family, Great talkin to ya & Excellent pics, I was so glad to be out on an escape night to see dbt in philly, It's like always like a Homecoming party when ya get there !!! Great to hang up front with ya'all Colley girl,Unk Ric, Karma & his first timer friend Eric, Bill from C, Guinness, Frank, & Pennylane. Mummers are fun to watch, sorta like untrained Drag Queens on a drinking binge !!!
set & Sound was great, talked to Patterson after sound check & he told me New Years was a blast & playing with his dad was just awesome, his only worry now was that Dad wanted to & did stay an extra night in NY so he hoped Dad would stay out of trouble,
it is still amazing to see the Band put out so much energy night after night & continue to do so.
i got a bunch of pictures I wil try to post some later, Just wanted to say a quick Thanks to ALL MY FRIENDS HERE AT 3DD
Happy New Year & hope Mine as well as yours is as much fun as it was for me on 1-1-11
Oz :D :D

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

Here's some pictures from Philly

More Pictures here Enjoy !!!

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35 ... lia%20TLA/

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

The black and whites are nice! I love the one of Cooley giving you the baleful stare.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Flea

Post by Flea »

Maluca3 wrote:The black and whites are nice! I love the one of Cooley giving you the baleful stare.

That looks much less baleful and much more "If you take my picture one more goddamn time, I'm gonna lodge that camera in your crusty cheerio!"
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

First use ever of "baleful" on 9B/3DD? :D :D

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slipkid42 wrote: You are a man w/a plan. Donut strategy gives you early lead for DBT fan of the year.

But it's only January 3! Surely someone can out-do coffee and donuts.

RevMatt wrote: I missed the show last night. I wasn't feeling that well and didn't want to risk a two hour drive home from Philly late at night if I was too tired. Also, I scored an audition with a cover band that plays alot of shows in my area, so I took a free night to learn the chords to a bunch of songs to prepare myself. I'll have to catch you all again at a later time.

Too bad, I was hoping to meet you Rev.

4sooner wrote:That's just alsum clams.
Problem is, you've raised the bar incredibly high for me according to my soonerette.

4sooner, you have to think of something. Please don't let the soonerette down.

weeny wrote:Great pics clams. Thanks so much for sharing! You must be raising your son tough; wearing an Emmit Smith's jersey in Philly takes some stones ;)

Come on man, that's a PSU jersey. My boy bleeds Eagles green.

uncle rickey wrote:Carl Perkins' Cadillac
Goode's Field Road
A Ghost to Most
The Night G.G. Allin Came to Town
Panties in Your Purse
Santa Fe
Women Without Whiskey
That Man I Shot
Self-Destructive Zones
This Fucking Job
Get Downtown
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Birthday Boy
Lookout Mountain
Marry Me
The Company I Keep
3 Dimes Down
Let There Be Rock
Encore:
I Used to be a Cop
Zip City
Mercy Buckets
Everybody Needs Love
Shut Up and Get on the Plane

With Neff sitting at the pedal steel for the first 7 songs, you just knew it was eventually going to get really loud, and it did from Lookout Mtn on. Marry Me and Company I Keep were just wild. Used to Be a Cop sounded great. GG Allin-->Panties-->Santa Fe-->Women Without Whiskey... 'nuff said. Also, the back of the room was good and all, but there's really nothing like being up front, which I was (along with Mrs and my friend Bruce) from Birthday Boy on.

dime in the gutter wrote:what is the mummer's parade?

It's the annual Philly new years day parade for like the last 100 years. Grown men from various clubs around the city form string bands with banjos, horns, drums, etc, they dress in fancy sequins and feathered costumes and compete for prizes with elaborate song and dance routines. And they drink (a lot). A blue collar event, always lots of fun, definitely something to see. http://www.phillymummers.com/history.htm
http://www.google.com/images?client=saf ... 80&bih=512

dime in the gutter wrote:
Clams wrote:Image

3 rock stars and a dad.

Damn you, dime.

littlemamma wrote:damn, shonna and your wife are both smokin hot too!

true!!

KY KAT wrote: David, the dad of the year contest is over already - you win

It was a fun day, but this guy's got me beat...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1513&view=unread#p57036

And u guys are just making him insufferable.

Careful there Big Daddy, or I'll keep that 40 Watt tee shirt you left in the guest room. :)

Indian Rider Oz wrote:Here's some pictures from Philly

Love this one. Always good to see ya, Oz.

njMark wrote:I saw Shonna walking down 4th st. when I was driving up to south street and I thought about saying hi or something but I wasn't sure if that was cool or not, not too sure how it would be percieved, some random guy yelling hey while she was walking down the street.

Yeah I think knocking on the bus door with a big box full of coffee might have been just a bit over the top. Next time I will play it cool, I swear.
If you don't run you rust