Amsterdam, 11/17/10

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Amsterdam, 11/17/10

Post by CooleyGirl »

A certain keyboard player has a birthday this day, what a way to celebrate! Uncle Rickey and I will try to help him out. ;)
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

beantownbubba

Re: Amsterdam, 11/17/10

Post by beantownbubba »

Birthdays in Amsterdam: How legends are born.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Celebrated my birthday in Amsterdam one year, or was it Rotterdam, smoked so much cant remember what town I was in. Amsterdam is a lot of fun, we have visited 6-7 times. Last time was in 06 and caught the truckers in Haarlam. Had a great time.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

i was there last summer and it was Gay Pride weekend, .....
you should have seen the party...the whole canal was filled w/inflatable penises...
make sure you buy some hot food out of the vending machines at the train station..so good
In my blood, there's gasoline..

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Penny Lane wrote:i was there last summer and it was Gay Pride weekend, .....
you should have seen the party...the whole canal was filled w/inflatable penises...
make sure you buy some hot food out of the vending machines at the train station..so good

Hot food out of vending machines? Huh?

beergut

Post by beergut »

CooleyGirl wrote:

FEBO

Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

(just to clarify, that's what they're called)

They're all over the city too.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

I will be there to celebrate :) Will also be in Groningen the day after. This dates are my last two in the six shows I'm flying to in England + Holland.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Sian-of-the-dead

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

I wish I were going to this one... I love Amsterdam :(
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beergut wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:

FEBO

Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

(just to clarify, that's what they're called)

They're all over the city too.

you can get chicken strips or spring rolls or doughy things (forget what they're called) right out of a vending machine!
helps if you're on a budget, too
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Wish I could remember the name of this amazing pancakes/crepes place I ate breakfast at a few times when I was there last spring. Across the street from this cool record shop. Not far off Dam Square. Drawing a blank, but so good...

Found it. This place: http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d1174352-Reviews-Sara_s_Pancake_House-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.html
ain't no static on the gospel radio

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Duke Silver wrote:Wish I could remember the name of this amazing pancakes/crepes place I ate breakfast at a few times when I was there last spring. Across the street from this cool record shop. Not far off Dam Square. Drawing a blank, but so good...

Found it. This place: http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d1174352-Reviews-Sara_s_Pancake_House-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.html

Cool record shop? Nice!

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

CooleyGirl wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Wish I could remember the name of this amazing pancakes/crepes place I ate breakfast at a few times when I was there last spring. Across the street from this cool record shop. Not far off Dam Square. Drawing a blank, but so good...

Cool record shop? Nice!

Yep, this place:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Rozengracht+40,+1016+NC+Amsterdam,+Nederland+(Velvet+Music+Amsterdam)&sll=52.373595,4.881454&sspn=0.001638,0.004823&gl=us&doflg=ptk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rozengracht+40,+1016+NC+Amsterdam,+Noord-Holland,+The+Netherlands&ll=52.374315,4.881449&spn=0.00655,0.01929&z=16

Velvet Music. Might be a chain, but I found some cool/rare stuff there. And google says it's 1000 feet from the aforementioned pancake place, so...bonus.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

I also recommend visiting "Concerto", a very cool record shop/second hand cd/vinyl in Amstredam. At the liedsplein area. Love that store.

And of course, not second-hand, but always nice to visit "Fame" next to Dam Square.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Ooo, new record stores to explore, yay! Thanks so much!!!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I've never been to Amsterdam but I can't even imagine how much fun it would be to see the DBT there. You guys have a great time!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

40th anniversary of Elton John's 11/17/70 concert. Maybe DBT will cover "Take Me to the Pilot" or "Your Song" to celebrate :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Sounds like farmer bill is in for this one, it will be quite the crew!

jimmyc

Post by jimmyc »

:twisted: I'm outta here! :twisted:

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

jimmyc wrote::twisted: I'm outta here! :twisted:

Have a great time Jimmy!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

rdvdijk

Post by rdvdijk »

Really looking forward to tomorrow!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Oh how I wish I was sitting in an Amsterdam bar smoking and getting ready for the DBT show instead of sitting in my office right now.

You guys are some of the luckiest bastards in the world right now. I will be checking back for updates. Have a great time!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

The Black Canary

rdvdijk wrote:Really looking forward to tomorrow!

don't forget to take plenty of pictures!!!!!

rdvdijk

Post by rdvdijk »

GREAT show tonight. They played quite a few songs off The Big To-Do and some Go-Go Boots songs too. Met a few people from the US up front and we had a great time. Patterson shared the bottle of JD with us during the encores and I took it home :-) Also bought a tour shirt and a very cool autographed (!) Amsterdam tour poster.

Oh and: I'm pretty sure the show was taped.

rdvdijk

Post by rdvdijk »

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Sounds like a great night...
Bummed that they stopped broadcasting the shows from the Paridiso on the Net.
Could've used a DBT fix today...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

rdvdijk wrote:Met a few people from the US up front and we had a great time.

Right on, brother. It was great meeting you. Bill in CT's name carries a lot of weight. :lol:

Here's how the show went:
After The Scene Dies
3 Dimes Down
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Drag the Lake Charlie
Birthday Boy
Santa Fe
Panties in Your Purse
Goode's Field Road
Carl Perkins' Cadillac
Where's Eddie
Everybody Needs Love
Marry Me
Lookout Mountain
Get Downtown
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Used to be a Cop
Gravity's Gone
Ronnie and Neil
Zip City
People Who Died

Had a wonderful time. Met some friendly friends from the Brighton show, and others from the London show, as well as the always fabulous jimmyc. Got the mic and Jack bottle once again during PWD (as did CG and Tomer), and felt just about like the luckiest guy on earth. They came out sans EZB in the beginning, which was unplanned, so Patterson led the crowd in an impromptu chorus of Happy Birthday for Jay.

A little sad that this'll be our last update from over here, but it really was a magical trip. Can't wait for the next one... Brooklyn, NYE, Philly, Athens, and beyond! :D :D :D

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Only one song they didn't play in the last 4 (Panties in Your Purse), but it was great! The Paradiso is a beautiful place. It was so awesome gettin' the mic and the bottle of Jack in People Who Died. I was standing right in front of Patterson, on the stage (no bariers), and when he handed me the mic our forheads stucked together and we sang together. It was great sharing those moments with Luke & Sarah and all...

Oh, and I had a very special moment before the show...

I was in the soundcheck and I asked Patterson if they could play my favorite song at the show, and he told me he was kinda sick so he don't know...other members of the band knew also I asked for it. And then, when they got to the end of the soundcheck they played Angels And Fuselage just for me...I was almost alone at the venue and sang along with the lyrics, closing my eyes and enjoying every moment. It was awesome and beautiful.

Also met the band again after the show and hung with some of them for a while. Told Patterson thank you for the soundcheck and he also mentioned he played Tornadoes for me the other day, and I have no idea how the hell he knew it's one of top favorites :o :shock: (I only told that to Sarah I think, was it you?).

Heading to Groningen soon for my final show before I'm going back to Israel on Friday. It was so good meeting all the people, and especially Sarah, Luke & our buddy J' from the US. Sure hope we'll meet again. You guys are the greatest. It was so much fun sharing the last days with you, traveling to the shows and all.

The Black Canary

rdvdijk wrote:Some crappy iPhone pictures I took:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 1b61034589

can't comment on the alleged crappy-ness of your pics, they wouldn't open!!!! But I shall try again later on!!!

Teiz

Post by Teiz »

Hi folks,

Yesterday I saw DTB for the first time in the current lineup and had a great time. I took a seat on the balcony and could look right down on the stage. Good to see a big crowd in the Paradiso too. Last time I saw them there they had the upstairs room and it was not sold out. I enjoyed the set very much: the new songs work very well live but I greated the old stuff like I was meeting old friends. I hope to see the band again soon. Unfortunately I can't make it to Groningen and Antwerpen this time around. So fingers crossed for next year.

Anyway: Hi! This is my first post on this board. I have left a few posts on the nine bullets board in the past. I usually post on Stones-boards and we had a DBT week on one of them in 2006. We had some folks of that board over to join the festivities, but I doubt that there's anyone around who'll remember. When I typed in the old adress I came here.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

TEIZ?!?!? Is that really you?!?!?