2020 Tour Dates! THERE ARE SO MANY

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: 2020 Tour Dates! THERE ARE SO MANY

Post by beantownbubba »

For years I have asked why, when the band knows it is faced with a hard curfew do they not shorten the openers and/or start earlier? Tonight, for the first time in my experience, the band was faced with a hard curfew and apparently shortened the opening set and definitely started earlier. This makes me happy way out of proportion to the actual difference involved: probably 10 minutes, 15 minutes max. Thanks to whomever makes these kinds of decisions. Please know that this kind of thoughtfulness and planning is very much appreciated.

Seeing the band in a seated venue is always a little odd. Seeing the band in a seated venue where there is about a 15 foot gap between the stage and the first row and in a seated venue where virtually everybody sits for most of the show is more than a little odd. It did not seem to bother the band, however. They slayed. How they continue to bring it night after night, tour after tour remains one of the great mysteries of science and rock n roll, not necessarily in that order. There may have been a connection between the seatedness and the age of the crowd: By my unscientific observation easily the oldest audience I've ever seen at a rock show, doubly surprising because i was just commenting recently that there seemed to be a noticeably larger contingent of younger folk at recent shows.

Maybe I'll write about the show in the morning, we'll see. Until then, my advice to you dear reader is always go to the show.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I thought it was pretty classless for the venue not to put DBT on the marquee. <Shrug> Not earth shattering, just strange and not in a good way.

Either I witnessed the best ever performance of "Thoughts and Prayers" or it was a perfecting melding of song & audience here in the People's Republic of Cambridge/Somerville (or it could be both I suppose). The song drew incredibly enthusiastic responses both during (especially but not only for the "drain the swamp for real" line) and after the performance.

Patterson talked to the audience a bit more than I understand he did in NYC the night before, but just when it seemed he was going to launch into his only "story" of the night someone in the audience interrupted him w/ a shout for "9 Bullets" and either it interrupted PH's train of thought or he was annoyed because instead he just launched into "Tales Facing Up", which I'm guessing had not been played in a while. It's not like Patterson doesn't enjoy singing his songs but he seems to particularly delight in telling these tales :)

"Grievance Merchants" and "Awaiting Resurrection" are a compelling pairing on the record and they've been a compelling pairing on the tour so far. These songs hit hard and are played ferociously. Cooley's vocals on "GM" are particularly notable for their fierceness and emotion. I think this song is really important to him. It struck me last night that the song's structure (by which I mean the absence of a chorus) is a really important contributor to making the song work the way it does. It seems to emphasize that THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A CATCHY DITTY but it also allows the song to build in a particularly compelling way. I don't think there's been any discussion of this (beyond noting the fact of the absence of a chorus). Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Gotta go, will try to finish later.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

A line in the previous post caught my attention: "It struck me last night that the song's structure (by which I mean the absence of a chorus) is a really important contributor to making the song work the way it does."

A friend who knows how much I love the Truckers once said to me, "why don't they write choruses," and it made me realize that in many songs they don't. Sometimes there's a bridge, but a traditional chorus is relatively rare.

Discuss.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I don't know if it's a conscious thing. But it's not a bad one. A chorus can be misunderstood or (mis)appropriated (Born in the USA anyone?). A perfect example is "compelled but not defeated, Surrender under protest if you must". Boy, that one got the fists pumping and voices chanting the last few years. However in the context of the song and historically, it was the phrase used by the south to come to terms with their loss. (Now who knows. With Cooley being so damned tricksy and smart, he may have planned the whole thing)
Always go to the show

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Whispering Pines wrote:A line in the previous post caught my attention: "It struck me last night that the song's structure (by which I mean the absence of a chorus) is a really important contributor to making the song work the way it does."

A friend who knows how much I love the Truckers once said to me, "why don't they write choruses," and it made me realize that in many songs they don't. Sometimes there's a bridge, but a traditional chorus is relatively rare.

Discuss.
Because they're a groove band not an anthem band.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:I don't know if it's a conscious thing. But it's not a bad one. A chorus can be misunderstood or (mis)appropriated (Born in the USA anyone?). A perfect example is "compelled but not defeated, Surrender under protest if you must". Boy, that one got the fists pumping and voices chanting the last few years. However in the context of the song and historically, it was the phrase used by the south to come to terms with their loss. (Now who knows. With Cooley being so damned tricksy and smart, he may have planned the whole thing)
"Surrender Under Protest" is a great example. I don't know whether it's possible to generalize from it, but at least in this case, I have always thought Cooley wrote it this way very much on purpose. It's very much ironic, "tricksy" and smart in the Cooley fashion, rolling up the duality of the Southern thing, the duality of the Confederate thing, the duality of the young men believing bumper stickers and following grievance merchants thing and more. Every time I sing that chorus along w/ the band and a thousand of my closest friends it is a totally mystifying yet cathartic experience. I know why and what I am singing but I know that not everyone is hearing/singing what I am. That's one of the biggest reasons why I keep telling my good but misguided friend clams that he's wrong about "Ramon Casiano" being the best song on American Band because "Surrender Under Protest" is.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:Because they're a groove band not an anthem band.
Sounds interesting but I don't know what it means.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
It means if they extended the solos, they could be a jam band.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
DBT in full rock out mode create a churning, incessant rhythm. A magnificent rock and roll groove (I don't know if theres an accurate definition of "groove" but to me thats what that is).

Choruses in songs often mean a change in song structure. Shift in melody or rhythm. A contrast of some sort with the verse. That actually would work against what DBT do. It interrupts the groove.

There again, Hell no I aint Happy is glorious and theres exceptions to every rule.
Last edited by 305 Engine on Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
It means if they extended the solos, they could be a jam band.
God help us, no! Anything but that!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Jonicont wrote:I don't know if it's a conscious thing. But it's not a bad one. A chorus can be misunderstood or (mis)appropriated (Born in the USA anyone?). A perfect example is "compelled but not defeated, Surrender under protest if you must". Boy, that one got the fists pumping and voices chanting the last few years. However in the context of the song and historically, it was the phrase used by the south to come to terms with their loss. (Now who knows. With Cooley being so damned tricksy and smart, he may have planned the whole thing)
"Surrender Under Protest" is a great example. I don't know whether it's possible to generalize from it, but at least in this case, I have always thought Cooley wrote it this way very much on purpose. It's very much ironic, "tricksy" and smart in the Cooley fashion, rolling up the duality of the Southern thing, the duality of the Confederate thing, the duality of the young men believing bumper stickers and following grievance merchants thing and more. Every time I sing that chorus along w/ the band and a thousand of my closest friends it is a totally mystifying yet cathartic experience. I know why and what I am singing but I know that not everyone is hearing/singing what I am. That's one of the biggest reasons why I keep telling my good but misguided friend clams that he's wrong about "Ramon Casiano" being the best song on American Band because "Surrender Under Protest" is.
It's very tricksy because (unlike Grievance Merchants) it's not very specific. It's so unspecific that if the people it is (at this moment in history) about manage to win big--not an election, but something more--those of us who lose can learn from it the tactics through which we can persevere and possibly someday prevail. As they will have done.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

305 Engine wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
DBT in full rock out mode create a churning, incessant rhythm. A magnificent rock and roll groove (I don't know if theres an accurate definition of "groove" but to me thats what that is).

Choruses in songs often mean a change in song structure. Shift in melody or rhythm. A contrast of some sort with the verse. That actually would work against what DBT do. It interrupts the groove.

There again, Hell no I aint Happy is glorious and theres exceptions to every rule.
Righteous Path, Ghost to Most, Living Bubba, Made Up English Oceans all have choruses of something sort. Most DBT hooks are repeating phrases though as opposed to verbatim choruses.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
305 Engine wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Sounds interesting but I don't know what it means.

Righteous Path, Ghost to Most, Living Bubba, Made Up English Oceans all have choruses of something sort. Most DBT hooks are repeating phrases though as opposed to verbatim choruses.
Also, Marry Me. Awesome chorus. It's a tendency not a rule

RMD

Post by RMD »

Not certain if it has been mentioned, but unless I am mistaken, so far every night other than homecoming has the same openers, English Oceans and Rosemary. First time?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Thx for that very cogent explanation.

Yours, too, Rod.

yukon cornelius

Post by yukon cornelius »

didn't see any familiar faces in Portland last night.....then again, not sure how long it's been since I've posted here, or how familiar I still am haha

brought the two girls last night......front and center on the rail, emma's 4th time riding the rail (she's now 15) and zoe's 3rd (13).......admittedly they have moved beyond hanging with their dad at DBT shows, but they humored me and had a good time last night.....and on the older songs, especially marry me, they were singing a long and having a grand old time

highlight of the night: guy behind zoe started pushing up pretty hard, holding his beer in his mouth, trying to reach out and touch someone on the stage.....not sure why this phenomena occurs, but it seems to always happen about 2/3 of the way through a show lol.......i had warned the girls that they were older now, and had to learn how to handle their own down on the floor......so zoe had had enough, and started firing elbows......Patterson started yelling at the dude to give her some room, and treat her with respect or she'd be liable to kick his ass.......made her night, the smile on her face was worth the price of admission

always a good time, last night was no exception.....been too long in between rock shows for me

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

yukon cornelius wrote:highlight of the night: guy behind zoe started pushing up pretty hard, holding his beer in his mouth, trying to reach out and touch someone on the stage.....not sure why this phenomena occurs, but it seems to always happen about 2/3 of the way through a show lol.......i had warned the girls that they were older now, and had to learn how to handle their own down on the floor......so zoe had had enough, and started firing elbows......Patterson started yelling at the dude to give her some room, and treat her with respect or she'd be liable to kick his ass.......made her night, the smile on her face was worth the price of admission
Love this :D

I don't know if I would recognize you at this point, but still, sorry I missed you and sorry I missed the Portland show. It's always a great time. Anybody have a set list?

yukon cornelius

got this online, seems accurate with my memory

Made Up English Oceans

Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun

Slow Ride Argument

Heroin Again

A Ghost to Most

Babies in Cages

Ramon Casiano

Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn

Surrender Under Protest

The KKK Took My Baby Away

Days of Graduation

Ronnie and Neil

Women Without Whiskey

The Sands of Iwo Jima

72 (This Highway's Mean)

Thoughts and Prayers

Grievance Merchants

Awaiting Resurrection

Uncle Frank

18 Wheels of Love

Marry Me

Dead, Drunk, and Naked

Guitar Man Upstairs

The Company I Keep

Gravity's Gone

Play It All Night Long

Shut Up and Get on the Plane

Angels and Fuselage

yukon cornelius

not sure if these will work

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

yukon cornelius wrote:got this online, seems accurate with my memory

Made Up English Oceans

Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun

Slow Ride Argument

Heroin Again

A Ghost to Most

Babies in Cages

Ramon Casiano

Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn

Surrender Under Protest

The KKK Took My Baby Away

Days of Graduation

Ronnie and Neil

Women Without Whiskey

The Sands of Iwo Jima

72 (This Highway's Mean)

Thoughts and Prayers

Grievance Merchants

Awaiting Resurrection

Uncle Frank

18 Wheels of Love

Marry Me

Dead, Drunk, and Naked

Guitar Man Upstairs

The Company I Keep

Gravity's Gone

Play It All Night Long

Angels and Fuselage
Great show in a fantastic venue (was my first time in the State Theatre). Angels and Fuselage was such a cathartic closer.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RMD wrote:Not certain if it has been mentioned, but unless I am mistaken, so far every night other than homecoming has the same openers, English Oceans and Rosemary. First time?
I'm not the expert on those kinds of subjects, but you are probably right. And the same for the closers, too, right (w/out doublechecking)? "Shut Your Mouth" and "A&F" every night i think. Now that you (and I) have said that we can bank on that streak ending pretty quickly :)

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Carrboro, Charlottesville, and NYC ended with Hell No I Ain’t Happy.
Somerville and Portland ended with Angels & Fuselage.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:Carrboro, Charlottesville, and NYC ended with Hell No I Ain’t Happy.
Somerville and Portland ended with Angels & Fuselage.
2 out of 5 is pretty close to "every," right?

Bill you gotta stop cluttering up these threads with facts.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote: 2 out of 5 is pretty close to "every," right?
Oh bubba :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

yukon cornelius

good to see not much has changed here! :mrgreen:

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Elm City 2/25/2020

Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
Slow Ride Argument
Heroin Again
Three Dimes Down
Play It All Night Long
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Armageddon’s Back in Town
The Unraveling
Women Without Whiskey
Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
Thoughts and Prayers
Grievance Merchants
Awaiting Resurrection
A Ghost to Most
Tornadoes
Once They Banned Imagine
The Living Bubba
Angels and Fuselage

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

uncle rickey wrote:The Unraveling
:?: :?:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Would this be the song EZB was talking about in a podcast Interview half a year ago or so, with Matt on lead vocals?

Edit to add: In the interview EZB was talking about the recording session in Memphis and said there would be a song with Matt doing lead vocals. Apparently didn't make the final cut for the new album, but I understand there are more songs from that session that might appear on recorded media some time in the future.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

scotto

Post by scotto »

RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Would this be the song EZB was talking about in a podcast Interview half a year ago or so, with Matt on lead vocals?

Edit to add: In the interview EZB was talking about the recording session in Memphis and said there would be a song with Matt doing lead vocals. Apparently didn't make the final cut for the new album, but I understand there are more songs from that session that might appear on recorded media some time in the future.
I caught that at the Wednesday soundcheck before Homecoming: They worked through it a couple of times, Matt singing with the lyrics on a music stand. It was obviously still a rough work in progress and Matt said he'd keep working on it and they went on to something else. I kept waiting for it to be rolled out over the three nights and it didn't happen. I guess they worked it out.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

^^my understanding is that it’ll be released as a single on Record Store Day.