Birmingham, UK, 11/13/10

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Birmingham, UK, 11/13/10

Post by CooleyGirl »

This is Uncle Rickey's birthday, so of course we're in for this show. If ever there were a show to play the song Birmingham.... :lol:
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

TruckerTomer

Re: Birmingham, UK, 11/13/10

Post by TruckerTomer »

See ya there, again :D
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Sian-of-the-dead

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

See you there
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Excited to meet you both!

Sian-of-the-dead

Birmingham is about 15 miles from my home town so I know that area well if anyone needs any advice...

I even suggested a restaurant for the band to eat at :oops:

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Sian-of-the-dead wrote:Birmingham is about 15 miles from my home town so I know that area well if anyone needs any advice...

Excellent! Yes, please share any restaurant/pub/record store suggestions you might have. We would appreciate it!

Sian-of-the-dead

CooleyGirl wrote:
Sian-of-the-dead wrote:Birmingham is about 15 miles from my home town so I know that area well if anyone needs any advice...

Excellent! Yes, please share any restaurant/pub/record store suggestions you might have. We would appreciate it!

I know quite a few places of all varieties listed... you'll have to wait until I haven't had wine though *hic*

maybe tomorrow eh? ;) :lol:

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Just a reminder there's a daft curfew for the Birmingham gig of 10pm so when the tickets say doors at 6pm they actually mean it!!!

See y'all on Saturday (and Friday, but sadly not Sunday)
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

For those traveling down it’s fair to say that the O2 doesn’t exactly show Birmingham in its best light. Its stuck right against a dual carriageway designed to get people from one side of town to another and is in a area that is in need of, shall we say ‘regeneration’.

If you are looking for a pre show drink/meal then the Arcadian centre is probably your best bet as it’s a shortish walk across to the venue. The map btw shows the venue on the wrong side of the road, you will either have to dice with death to get over 4/6 lanes of traffic or take your chance with the muggers/junkies in the underpass. Good luck y’all.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... GcOMHuyZIL

We will be in the Old Fox I should think.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/co ... tml/17250/

The Mailbox is a bit more upmarket but will be very busy that time of the evening. If anyone needs to know anything more specific then I’m happy to help.

Sian-of-the-dead

We'll probabaly be drinking here from around 3 - 3:30pm:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-briar-rose

Directions (walking) from this pub, to the O2 Academy are as follows:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 27509&z=15

This pub is cheap and only 0.6 miles from the venue.

Tha Mailbox is very expensive and Bodie is right, it'll be very busy.

I may venture into The Old Fox if I can get my friends to come with but I doubt it; we favour cheap beer :mrgreen: :lol: 8-)

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

Anyone have any idea of the show times?

If you fancy a laugh then ring the O2 box office where they read out the show times....for the 7th October!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Greetings from TruckerTomer's netbook. Gonna be brief as we're travelling to London soon. Here's the set list:

Lookout Mountain
3 Dimes Down
Drag the Lake Charlie
72 (This Highway's Mean)
Santa Fe
Women Without Whiskey
My Sweet Annette
Birthday Boy
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Gravity's Gone
Ronnie and Neil
Get Downtown
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
Used to be a Cop
Marry Me
Sinkhole
Self-Destructive Zones
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Where's Eddie
Everybody Needs Love
Zip City
Let There Be Rock

Very high energy from the band... this was a smoking show. It was great holding it down in the front with Tomer, dogstar, and the inimitable indestructable incandescent Sian of the Dead. She's definitely the coolest truck log auditor (seriously) I've met on this trip... and her hubby-to-be Dave is a great guy too, and huge DBT fan. Before the show I asked him what song he wanted to hear above all others, he thought for a minute and said Lookout Mountain, which of course they opened with. Beautiful.

Many many birthday drinks post-show, so we're dragging ass a bit this morning. More later.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

That sounds like a great show, unc ricky. What a way to spend your Birthday. Can't believe they didn't play Birmingham, though.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

wow,,,,another amazing show....so glad you
had a happy rockin birthday ....Rock on my friend :D
give hugs to Sarah!
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Fantastic show. When the guys came out you could tell they were right on it and opening with lookout mountain had all the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. I'd been to the show in Manchester the night before (my first DBT show) and didn't really understand what all the fuss was about; last night was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The crowd last night also played their part and you could see Patterson and Cooley feeding of the energy from the crowd. The version of Hell No I Ain't Happy they finished the main set with was incredible, the best bit being the Booker T style organ riff that Jay was playing.

Was also good to hang out with Luke, Sarah and Tomer after the show.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Good show last night. I was kinda hoping for more mix of songs, but that's ok. I have 4 more shows to go and hope to see as many different songs as I can. After the show I gave my little request for Brad for Angels & Fuselage (after I been told they didn't bring acoustic gear here, and that's a shame). He told me they might play it tonight in London. I'm dying to see it live. Also hope for Tornadoes & Ghost To Most in the upcoming shows. We will see.
and Let There
The high-lights from Birmingham last night were the opening of Lookout Mountain, Ronnie & Neil, Hell No I Ain't Happy & Let There Be Rock. Was also cool to see My Sweet Annette...hope they'll throw in some more stuff like that.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Sian-of-the-dead

Awesome, awesome show last night. The set was amazing (loved My Sweet Annette and Gravity's Gone) and the atmosphere was buzzing... so different to Manchester. I caught Patterson's pick and got some great photos from the barrier - so i'm one damn happy truck log auditer ;) 8-)
Thanks to uncle rickey, CooleyGirl and TruckerTomer for a great time down the front and for being so damn friendly! It really was awesome to meet you guys :D
Thanks also to Craig and Matt on merch for being so kind and friendly over the past couple of days :)

Here's a couple of pics from the show:

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

dogstar wrote:The version of Hell No I Ain't Happy they finished the main set with was incredible, the best bit being the Booker T style organ riff that Jay was playing.

Yes. I don't know if this is a new thing he's added or if I've just started noticing it, but it is badass.

Worth noting again how special this show was, and how the crowds in the U.K. have really kicked ass so far. Birmingham was sold out and packed tightly in (bouncer estimated 650-700 people), and they were seriously making some noise. Once again big bumps from the crowd during LTBR... first when Patterson said "...rock and roll saved my life as a teenager, and some of those who did it were from this town!" Nice roar for that. Then the same for "...never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd and I never saw The Clash," then the place went absolutely apeshit for "I sure saw Ozzy Osbourne!" Really great crowd response. :D

claretkid

Post by claretkid »

Saw this show (my third time), and it was fantastic. Really, really LOUD, from the off. Crowd was great, how a woman can dance sexy to a song such as Sinkhole, is beyond me, but several of them in front of me managed it :) . Hell No, Marry Me ,My Sweet Annette and Used To Be A Cop were the best of the bunch for me, but the highlight was a seriously great Ronnie And Neil, with the crowd singing along to this and most of the others.
Sold out show, and i think everybody must have left happy. Can't wait until they come around again, Patterson promised us it wouldn't be too long, and i'm holding him to that.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

Brilliant show, not having seen them before I couldn’t believe how good they were! I can fully understand the love and devotion shown by some of the people on here when the band give so much back from the stage. I have most of the albums but I’m not obsessive and if I’m honest I can’t say that I know many of the songs that well. Live, like so many bands, they make so much more sense. I’ll be first in the queue for tickets for the next tour.

Nb, you just gotta love a band that walk on stage swinging a bottle of Jack....

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

My first show too, and so many highlights I don't really know where to start! It was loud, even with ear plugs in I was a touch deafer in my left ear than normal! Great version of Ronnie & Neil, Hell No I Ain't Happy was a great choice to end the main set too. Loved the songs from The Big To Do as well, much better live than on record IMO. As it all is really!

I would've been gutted if it was the only show I was seeing as one simply would not have been enough! Having another to look forward to made it even better!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Great b-day show for UR!
Starting with Lookout Mountain is always a sign it will be a good night. Hanging with new friends Dave, Sian, Dogstar and of course Tomer was lots of fun. It was a high energy show and a great time was had by all.