Manchester, UK, 11/12/10

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Manchester, UK, 11/12/10

Post by CooleyGirl »

Uncle Rickey and I are in. Hoping to meet some UK fans!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

TruckerTomer

Re: Manchester, UK, 11/12/10

Post by TruckerTomer »

My first out of the six DBT shows I'm flying to in the UK and Holland.

I see we will meet at a few shows :) That would be nice. And can't wait to meet you and other DBT fans that will attend the shows.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

All right Tomer! You're a man after our hearts, clearly. ;) Look forward to meeting you.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

uncle rickey wrote:All right Tomer! You're a man after our hearts, clearly. ;) Look forward to meeting you.

No doubt. We'll have a nice journey together after the band, I'm sure. looking forward to it.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

TruckerTomer wrote:My first out of the six DBT shows I'm flying to in the UK and Holland.

I see we will meet at a few shows :) That would be nice. And can't wait to meet you and other DBT fans that will attend the shows.

Oh, how cool! Looking forward to meeting you. :)

docs

Post by docs »

I will be there .Its a nice venue as well im sure you will enjoy

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

docs wrote:I will be there .Its a nice venue as well im sure you will enjoy

Saw the Derek Trucks Band at Academy 3 last year...can't wait to return.

Sian-of-the-dead

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

Seeing DBT for first time in Manchester... HUGELY excited! :mrgreen:

Also going to Birmingham the next night :mrgreen:

Last time I was at the Academy in Manchester was to see My Morning Jacket in 2008 :shock:
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Sian-of-the-dead wrote:Seeing DBT for first time in Manchester... HUGELY excited! :mrgreen:

Last time I was at the Academy in Manchester was to see My Morning Jacket in 2008 :shock:

Manchester will be my first DBT show as well! So we will have something to share :)

Sian-of-the-dead

TruckerTomer wrote:
Sian-of-the-dead wrote:Seeing DBT for first time in Manchester... HUGELY excited! :mrgreen:

Manchester will be my first DBT show as well! So we will have something to share :)

Whooot! :mrgreen:

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

docs, trucker tomer, sian-of-the-dead, can't wait to meet you! Wow, first DBT show for some of you, how cool!

If you see Uncle Rickey and I, please say hello! We'd love to meet you. From left to right, in the picture, is Uncle Rickey, me, Jason Isbell and our friend Bill in CT.

http://ninebulletsphotos.shutterfly.com/492

docs

Post by docs »

Yes would be good to meet up .We live just over an hours drive away but not sure if one of us is driving or we are coming by train yet ,will decide nearer the time .Seen Dbt play at that venue a few times and also in the smaller venue upstairs.The bar downstairs is cheaper than the 1 upstairs next to the venue .I was lucky enough to watch them at the handlebar when over in U.S 2 years ago and a week earlier saw Jason Isbell in Gainesville not too long before he left Dbt

docs

Post by docs »

I was there as well ,was a good gig

Sian-of-the-dead

docs wrote:

I was there as well ,was a good gig

Cool! :D It was an awesome show... in fact, the pictures on the MMJ site from that show are mine :oops:

Jim and the boys need to come back soon :(

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

CooleyGirl wrote:docs, trucker tomer, sian-of-the-dead, can't wait to meet you! Wow, first DBT show for some of you, how cool!

If you see Uncle Rickey and I, please say hello! We'd love to meet you. From left to right, in the picture, is Uncle Rickey, me, Jason Isbell and our friend Bill in CT.

http://ninebulletsphotos.shutterfly.com/492

Cool. We will sure be in touch before and meet at the place (I'm always arriving very early to the venue). We can also take the trains together for the other cities & shows I guess...

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

This will be my first DBT show. I'm getting really excited and the shows still two weeks away - I keep thinking this really shouldn't be happening at my age :? . And I'm going to the Birmingham show the next day as well (couldn't miss the home town show).
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Sian-of-the-dead

dogstar wrote:This will be my first DBT show. I'm getting really excited and the shows still two weeks away - I keep thinking this really shouldn't be happening at my age :? . And I'm going to the Birmingham show the next day as well (couldn't miss the home town show).

I'm doing exactly the same shows... I'm also from the Midlands ;)

Stupidly excited now! We're blowing off our best friend's wedding reception to go to Manchester :shock: 8-) :lol: :mrgreen:

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Greetings friends. The set list:
After the Scene Dies
Self-Destructive Zones
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Get Downtown
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
Sinkhole
Birthday Boy
The Wig He Made Her Wear
Where the Devil Don't Stay
When I Ran Off and Left Her
Women Without Whiskey
Santa Fe
Carl Perkins' Cadillac
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me
Let There Be Rock
Encore:
Used to be a Cop
3 Dimes Down
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Zip City
Buttholeville-->
State Trooper

Sweet night. Mercy Buckets was something really special. Cooley soloing on it was jaw-droppingly good. A new friend (Andrew) was stealthily taping, and I really hope he got a good recording just for that song. Other notes: Patterson dedicated When I Ran Off... to Vic Chesnutt, as it was his birthday, it was a nice moment. Patterson also gave props for Neil Young's birthday, and wished him the best re: that warehouse fire. The crowd was once again respectful, appreciative, and loud at all the appropriate moments. There was a nice bump from the crowd during LTBR when Patt did his change-up saying "I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd and I never saw The Clash, but I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band." Really cool hearing the reaction to that. Sold-out show, too, I'd guesstimate 750 people or so packed in tightly but not too tightly (esp. pleased with the sell out with a sold-out Goo Goo Dolls [ugh] next door). Somewhat short set list due to the early curfew (11 pm), but there was serious energy once again from the band, and the drink was flowing.

Personal highlights were meeting new BFF TruckerTomer, who's only made the journey from Israel for this next run of shows, as well as dogstar, docs, and the inimitable Sian of the Dead, who did indeed blow her best friend's wedding reception for the show. :lol: Also met John again from the Glasgow show (the John who'll be travelling to NYC and Athens) and his lovely wife... really really loving the people we've met so far. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Very nice. Thanks for the updates and set lists UR.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl rule the world!
If you don't run you rust

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

uncle rickey wrote:Greetings friends. The set list:
After the Scene Dies
Self-Destructive Zones
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Get Downtown
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
Sinkhole
Birthday Boy
The Wig He Made Her Wear
Where the Devil Don't Stay
When I Ran Off and Left Her
Women Without Whiskey
Santa Fe
Carl Perkins' Cadillac
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me
Let There Be Rock
Encore:
Used to be a Cop
3 Dimes Down
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Zip City
Buttholeville-->
State Trooper

Sweet night. Mercy Buckets was something really special. Cooley soloing on it was jaw-droppingly good. A new friend (Andrew) was stealthily taping, and I really hope he got a good recording just for that song. Other notes: Patterson dedicated When I Ran Off... to Vic Chesnutt, as it was his birthday, it was a nice moment. Patterson also gave props for Neil Young's birthday, and wished him the best re: that warehouse fire. The crowd was once again respectful, appreciative, and loud at all the appropriate moments. There was a nice bump from the crowd during LTBR when Patt did his change-up saying "I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd and I never saw The Clash, but I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band." Really cool hearing the reaction to that. Sold-out show, too, I'd guesstimate 750 people or so packed in tightly but not too tightly (esp. pleased with the sell out with a sold-out Goo Goo Dolls [ugh] next door). Somewhat short set list due to the early curfew (11 pm), but there was serious energy once again from the band, and the drink was flowing.

Personal highlights were meeting new BFF TruckerTomer, who's only made the journey from Israel for this next run of shows, as well as dogstar, docs, and the inimitable Sian of the Dead, who did indeed blow her best friend's wedding reception for the show. :lol: Also met John again from the Glasgow show (the John who'll be travelling to NYC and Athens) and his lovely wife... really really loving the people we've met so far. Can't wait for tomorrow!

It was great meeting everybody!

I also got to meet the band, been to the soundcheck and got a pass from Matt, the manager. That was so cool. All of them so nice. We took pics and I chat like 5-10 minutes with Shonna.

Awesome night for my first DBT show. See ya all today in Birmingham!

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Amazing stuff UR...thanks for letting us all tag along.

Glad you had a great rock and roll inauguration truckertomer...more proof that this is a band without equals.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

docs

Post by docs »

Was great meeting you guys last night very nice people indeed, and another great show as expected

docs

Post by docs »

Clams wrote:Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl rule the world!

and you couldnt meet a nicer couple of people :)

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

CG & UR--the official 3DD foreign ambassadors
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:CG & UR--the official 3DD foreign ambassadors

:D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

amoeba

Post by amoeba »

Only mr 3rd DBT gig last night and deffo my most sober but I am really regretting not booking tickets for more shows/time off work cos they were fantastic. I really do envy all you Americans who get to see them so often.

Kudos to Cooley Girl for the set list as well-been annoying myself and mrs amoeba all day about which song they actually started the set with-remembered all the rest but couldn't for the life of us remember the opener :oops: Hope you're enjoying your time in the UK too :)

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Clams wrote:Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl rule the world!

Hell yeah, and I thought I was hardcore making it to the Dewey Beach show.

Sian-of-the-dead

Manchester was a good show... but then, i'm posting this in hindsight of Birmingham :lol: ;)

For my first show, I had a blast on Friday... although the crowd were a little stagnant, I didn't let it stop me as I danced, sang and whooped through the set. I can't honestly believe I got Carl Perkin's Cadillac! :o I had been campaigning for it on Twitter all week and went absolutely mental when it kicked in - again, thanks to the band for that, it made my weekend :D

Awesome meeting CooleyGirl, uncle rickey and TruckerTomer at the end of the show and so glad we decided to head up to Manchester in the end :mrgreen:

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Jonicont wrote:CG & UR--the official 3DD foreign ambassadors

Yes, we were on a diplomatic mission, spreading the love of DBT to anyone who would listen! :lol:

This is a little embarassing, but UR and I have started getting recognized at shows. We've had a bunch of people all over the US and now Europe come up to us at shows and say they recognize us from 3DD. Gulp! :oops: It is very flattering, but does this mean we need to check in to DBT Anonymous? :oops:

We were extremely lucky to have had some time with the band and crew in the last few days, so we wanted to make ourselves scarce so as not to intrude, after all, we're on vacation, but they're working, right? So we ate lunch at a Chinese restaurant. We are eating our lunch, and who should happen to walk in, but Cooley! He sees us and says hi guys! This seems to be the best place to eat around here, huh? We sheepishly say hi, and he moves along. We were just finishing up, and who should walk in but Patterson, who says he is meeting a friend (Cooley)here. We slunk low in our chairs and narrowly missed being seen by him. So much for giving the guys some space!

The Manchester show was great. The venue had several clubs within it. After being first in line we nearly lost our spot. We went into the venue, and there were no signs pointing us to the DBT room. We sprinted to the nearest room only to find out DBT wasn't there. d'oh! We turned and sprinted upstairs and found the correct room. Thankfully, they had opened the bar which was outside of the room, but not the room itself. We skipped the bar and assumed our position as first in line at the door to the room. When they let us in, we had to give up our ticket stub, then ran and joined Tomer at the rail. I went out of the room to use the rest room (Toilet in UK terms) and was given a ticket stub. I had to give it up again to go back in, and then got it back at the end of the night after the show. That was odd.
Anyway, regarding the show, the Vic Chestnutt song was just stellar. I've been lucky enough to hear it twice before, and I love it each time. The rest of the show was wonderful. We anticpated the band would be leaning on TBTD and the trusty rockers, and they didn't disappoint. Carl Perkins was a wonderful surprise, especially for Sian of the Dead!