DBT Concert Etiquette

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Indian Rider Oz

DBT Concert Etiquette

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

Ok Here is a question to throw out there on this new Forum about, Behavior at DBT shows, On another forum (9b) it was brought up about how people singing along to loud (Making up words), Drunk & Pushing up front ect...Sucks!! I can see how those can leave a bad impression on ya at Times, but the one thing That has stuck in my head is the Norfolk thread (on the other site) were a member seemed VERY upset :twisted: about the fact that it is a General Admission show & if you have a spot up front & you have to get a drink or go to the bathroom that it is not your property & no one should be able to "Save" it & you have no right to return to the spot you staked out several hours ago. Well I have ALWAYS saved spots for fans whether I know them or not, so they can get a drink or return a drink hell even to go get a smoke, & I have always gone to get a drink & DID expect to return to my "Spot".
The question is, AM I WRONG ? Do others feel this is the proper way to enjoy a show ? Is it fair to stand in line for early entry to get a spot in Cooleyville then loose it because you gotta pee??
Just want to see where everyone is at with this, any other comments on etiquette :D

PeterJ

Re: DBT Concert Etiquette

Post by PeterJ »

Every show I've been to, it was a give in that someone holds your spot while you piss and/or get a drink. You then return with drinks for self and said spot holder. All works out great. :D
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

You are not wrong.

Its common courtesy, and we look out for each other on the rail.
If you put in the time and stake out your spot. Its yours and everyone around you should know that.

on the other hand if folks are courteous and want to take a picture, or if someone is shorter and can't see, I'll do everything I can to give them a song or two in front of me. I want everyone around me to have an awesome show.

but good luck to the drunken fratboy that comes barging up front an hour into the show. He won't get by me.
and If I have to go to the bathroom or the bar. I'm coming back to my spot.
politely with a big smile.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

1. I totally sing out loud. Only to songs I know the right words for and usually only to the sing along songs. There are some songs that Patterson, Cooley and Shonna just sing better than we the fans ever could and I like to hear those.

2. I think if you get there early and get up front, you're entitled to that space within reason. I don't drink a lot during shows because I don't want to fight the crowd to use the restroom and then get back up front. Too much of a hassle for me and for everyone around me. Respect your neighbors. Hear that folks? RESPECT YOUR NEIGHBORS!

3. Just because you're a really big, really drunk guy doesn't mean you can just charge your way up front. Know that by doing that you're inviting lots of elbows to your ribs.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

glad we are all in agreement so far I've been doing the same shit at concerts since the 70's only the crowds & the Smoke has changed, & jack is now 80 proof not 90

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

If you wanna be up front, get your ass in line early PERIOD. I will always watch out for us folks who stood outside long before the doors open. If you gotta use the facilities or grab a beverage, you can count on me to hold your spot and I would expect the same consideration. Nothing much worse than those people who barge their way through just when the Truckers come on as if they're entitled.

Me singing out loud and making up my own line or two has been known to happen and is completely dependent on how many PBR Tallboys or shots of Jager I've had.
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

Mr. Boh

Post by Mr. Boh »

There is one rule.

Don't be an asshole.

I ALWAYS return to my spot. Fuck those nerds that don't GET THAT.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

If I get to the doors 1-2 hours early and wait, I earned my spot, and all the bathroom and drink-gettin trips I require won't change that. I save people's spots on the rail and expect the same done for me and folks have done that for me. I try to be courteous on my way back up and on my way out.

Oh and the drunk fucks, especially the frat boys who come bustin up front need to watch it. I've seen a couple feuds at DBT shows that I thought were really gonna get out of hand. Like fist to face kind outta hand... And the front row of a DBT show is the kinda place an outsider asshole ain't got a chance. We DBT fans are nice, we're polite but get too out of hand we're all gonna have each other's back and you won't win the argument. And if Cooley sees what you're doing. He'll let the whole damn place know and make sure you are clear on the fact you have the right to go fuck yourself and that you need to stop what you're doing. LOL, I love to hear Cooley get on someone that's acting a fool!!!
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

AprilTwister wrote:If you wanna be up front, get your ass in line early PERIOD. I will always watch out for us folks who stood outside long before the doors open. If you gotta use the facilities or grab a beverage, you can count on me to hold your spot and I would expect the same consideration. Nothing much worse than those people who barge their way through just when the Truckers come on as if they're entitled.

Me singing out loud and making up my own line or two has been known to happen and is completely dependent on how many PBR Tallboys or shots of Jager I've had.

Oooh, honey. Remember our little friends from Athens?

The one I really love is when someone barges down trying to shove by at the end, gives you the sad face and says "but they're my favorite band!!!" Yeah. Mine too, which is why I got here at 6:00 and haven't peed in four hours.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I have long since retired from being in the front row. The mix is always better at the back of the club. If there is a balcony, it often sounds even better up there. DBT do so many in stores and autograph session, plus it really isn't all that hard to find out what bar they are drinking in after soundcheck or after the show, so if you have the need to see them up close, they provide plenty of opportunities. Plus, so many of their shows are filmed and available online the next day.

A band sounds so much better when you can hear it through the sound system as opposed to the stage monitors. I am too damned old to sit outside the doors of a club for two hours in crappy weather just so I can stand for another three hours next to the stage and deal with drunken frat boys pushing their way up front or trying to cop a feel from my date.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

RevMatt wrote: I am too damned old to sit outside the doors of a club for two hours in crappy weather just so I can stand for another three hours next to the stage and deal with drunken frat boys pushing their way up front or trying to cop a feel from my date.

I'm not opposed to hearing the mix, but I like to hang with the gang down front. And take pics. :)

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

potatoeater wrote:And the front row of a DBT show is the kinda place an outsider asshole ain't got a chance.

Love that line, p'eater!

I'm in full agreement with you Oz.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

ramonz wrote:
potatoeater wrote:And the front row of a DBT show is the kinda place an outsider asshole ain't got a chance.

Love that line, p'eater!

I'm in full agreement with you Oz.

Wow reading that back to myself I sound a little angry, but I been there before having to deal with those types. Hey, I'm glad they're a DBT fan, but you got to earn that kinda stuff, don't show your ass, be respectful. I wouldn't imagine we got any of those party poopers here though...
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, I was really surprised to see that original comment in the old Norfolk thread. I thought the rule was pretty clear: If you got there to claim the spot originally, u can leave for various "convenience breaks" and expect to get it back (but not get there first, leave for 3 hrs then come back at showtime). But saving spots for your friends who had to work, were waiting for the babysitter, etc etc etc just doesn't cut it. I'm also a little surprised that all the examples of boorish behavior have been frat boy types: What about the pretty girls? At least the frat boys have the excuse of being drunk and stupid. The girls just feel that they're entitled. Apparently some guys agree w/ them, but i aint one of them.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, I was really surprised to see that original comment in the old Norfolk thread. I thought the rule was pretty clear: If you got there to claim the spot originally, u can leave for various "convenience breaks" and expect to get it back (but not get there first, leave for 3 hrs then come back at showtime). But saving spots for your friends who had to work, were waiting for the babysitter, etc etc etc just doesn't cut it. I'm also a little surprised that all the examples of boorish behavior have been frat boy types: What about the pretty girls? At least the frat boys have the excuse of being drunk and stupid. The girls just feel that they're entitled. Apparently some guys agree w/ them, but i aint one of them.

OH I HATE THE GIRLS! They're almost worse. They come bustin' up in the place and once they realize you are annoyed with them they start half-ass flirting and rubbing up on you trying to make up for the BS they just pulled. Wrong. It just pisses me off more.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I have an etiquette question. Is there ever a time when yelling "COOLEY!" at the top of your lungs inappropriate?

And for the record, the times I was able to get up front I always held spots, defended against (frat) ruffians and met the best fans ever. I even got to shake Cooley's hand once. It was surprisingly soft.
Not forever, just for now.

Clams

Post by Clams »

'Scratch wrote: I have an etiquette question. Is there ever a time when yelling "COOLEY!" at the top of your lungs inappropriate?

And for the record, the times I was able to get up front I always held spots, defended against (frat) ruffians and met the best fans ever. I even got to shake Cooley's hand once. It was surprisingly soft.

:lol:
He must use lotion. :lol:

And to answer your question, no. You can do that at DBT shows, in your car, or hell, right in the middle of aisle 12 of the supermarket.

edited to add: Scratch = Tobias Hume!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, I was really surprised to see that original comment in the old Norfolk thread. I thought the rule was pretty clear: If you got there to claim the spot originally, u can leave for various "convenience breaks" and expect to get it back (but not get there first, leave for 3 hrs then come back at showtime). But saving spots for your friends who had to work, were waiting for the babysitter, etc etc etc just doesn't cut it. I'm also a little surprised that all the examples of boorish behavior have been frat boy types: What about the pretty girls? At least the frat boys have the excuse of being drunk and stupid. The girls just feel that they're entitled. Apparently some guys agree w/ them, but i aint one of them.

Yep, I've had my share of run-ins with the pretty girls. Just cuz you're pretty doesn't mean you can barge up front an hour into the DBT set. Hell no! In Athens this year LaraElisabeth and Bill in CT and I had some flailing arms girls who were trying to dance and whacking everyone around them in the process. Good thing Lara knows how to elbow dance! :lol:
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

CooleyGirl wrote:
Yep, I've had my share of run-ins with the pretty girls. Just cuz you're pretty doesn't mean you can barge up front an hour into the DBT set. Hell no! In Athens this year LaraElisabeth and Bill in CT and I had some flailing arms girls who were trying to dance and whacking everyone around them in the process. Good thing Lara knows how to elbow dance! :lol:

She knows how to booty hold too. When that guy kept pushing forward in Asheville she had her but stuck WAAAAAAAAY out. That was hilarious. Guys aren't sure exactly what to do. Saturday night in Asheville was filled with Gunter's (my name for idiot fans at shows).

My favorite is the guy that uses his pretty girlfriend to push way up to the front during the show. He knows he could get punched so he's using his girl as armor. Nice.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

never going back wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:

She knows how to booty hold too. When that guy kept pushing forward in Asheville she had her but stuck WAAAAAAAAY out. That was hilarious. Guys aren't sure exactly what to do. Saturday night in Asheville was filled with Gunter's (my name for idiot fans at shows).

My favorite is the guy that uses his pretty girlfriend to push way up to the front during the show. He knows he could get punched so he's using his girl as armor. Nice.

for that violation I punch said guy twice
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

'Scratch wrote:I have an etiquette question. Is there ever a time when yelling "COOLEY!" at the top of your lungs inappropriate?

ZIP CITY!!! ZIIIIPPPP CCCIIITTTTYYYY!!!!!!
[spills beer]
ZIIIIPPPP CCCIIIITTTYYYYY!!!!!!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I understand the confusion that alcohol can inflict on one's memory, but please don't continue to holler out requests to songs that have already been played.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

never going back

Smitty wrote:I understand the confusion that alcohol can inflict on one's memory, but please don't continue to holler out requests to songs that have already been played.

Or Isbell songs at a DBT show.

Heard "Outfit" and "Danko" shouted in Asheville.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

It is this simple: don't be a douchebag. That is all you need to remember.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

never going back wrote:
Smitty wrote:I understand the confusion that alcohol can inflict on one's memory, but please don't continue to holler out requests to songs that have already been played.

Or Isbell songs at a DBT show.

that's a good one. I heard "Outfit" and "Decoration Day" at the TDU show in Atl.

ukdan2999

Post by ukdan2999 »

potatoeater wrote:If I get to the doors 1-2 hours early and wait, I earned my spot, and all the bathroom and drink-gettin trips I require won't change that. I save people's spots on the rail and expect the same done for me and folks have done that for me. I try to be courteous on my way back up and on my way out.

Oh and the drunk fucks, especially the frat boys who come bustin up front need to watch it. I've seen a couple feuds at DBT shows that I thought were really gonna get out of hand. Like fist to face kind outta hand... And the front row of a DBT show is the kinda place an outsider asshole ain't got a chance. We DBT fans are nice, we're polite but get too out of hand we're all gonna have each other's back and you won't win the argument. And if Cooley sees what you're doing. He'll let the whole damn place know and make sure you are clear on the fact you have the right to go fuck yourself and that you need to stop what you're doing. LOL, I love to hear Cooley get on someone that's acting a fool!!!

Exactly, and this has never been a problem at the dozen plus shows I have been to until a few weeks ago in Lexington. As the show went on and a little later into the evening I had a frat pack show up out of nowhere in front of me and a friend ( we were maybe 6-8 rows back on the mid right side and it was my friend's first DBT show) and the idiots start to yell and sling beer everywhere. The good news is that only lasted about 20 minutes and after they realized they were in a sea of people who didn't want them there they moved on.
- Just a rope around his neck and the kitchen table turned on its side.

Haley

Post by Haley »

Maluca3 wrote:I'm not opposed to hearing the mix, but I like to hang with the gang down front. And take pics. :)

Hi. Are we related?

But seriously, I (usually) don't drink at shows because of this. I don't want to risk losing my spot, and my camera doesn't like beer.

I'm 5'3' so if I don't get there early and claim a spot at the front, I'm looking at some dude's back for a couple of hours.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatever you do, if you're up front and Rebecca Hood is standing beside you, don't almost hit her in the head with your beer bottle, or hold it above her head - unless you want the death stare from Patterson right before Damon or the Matador "escorts" you out

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

never going back wrote:Or Isbell songs at a DBT show.

That's funny. A guy behind me was yelling for "Easy on Yourself" for pretty much the whole show the second night in Asheville.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

StevieRay wrote:It is this simple: don't be a douchebag. That is all you need to remember.

ah, what a wonderful world it would be if it were indeed that simple
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing