DBT Concert Etiquette

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: DBT Concert Etiquette

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Aha! Looks like we found an actual controversy here. I think it's a really tough question: Having to check your enthusiasm at a rock show is kind of counter to the whole idea, and singing along communally can be a lot of fun and part of the tradition or culture w/ some/many bands; OTOH, it really is true that depending on who's around you, folks singing all the words to all the songs can ruin the show. I can't sing, and NEVER sing in public or even in the shower, so limiting myself to the occasional major "power choruses" is no big deal, and not singing is not a sacrifice for me. But i can understand why it would be for others. I don't have the answer, but i do think it's unfair to say that the non-singers are just not showing enough enthusiasm for the show.

As for playing an instrument in the audience at a show, that's an easy one for me: Get the fuck out of here!!! I literally find that difficult to believe (not doubting u WWCD, just flabbergasted).

I've never seen or even heard of someone brining a harmonica or any other instrument to a show. Outrageous! :lol:

Now Mr. Boh, I've seen him sing and I would call him an uber-singer. He also almost busted my hand with a drunken high five during Let There Be Rock on the DBT/THS tour. :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beergut

Post by beergut »

Harmonica dude is the absolute worst.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:non-stop, loud singing along at an acoustic show (or other quiet show) is beatdown worthy.

At a loud electric show it goes with the territory

As with most things, recognizing time and place will get you far in life

Sure, when you assume the conclusion, it's easy. I disagree, though, so there you go. <shrug>
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:non-stop, loud singing along at an acoustic show (or other quiet show) is beatdown worthy.

At a loud electric show it goes with the territory

As with most things, recognizing time and place will get you far in life

Sure, when you assume the conclusion, it's easy. I disagree, though, so there you go. <shrug>

with which part are you disagreeing?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"At a loud electric show it goes w/ the territory."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I mouth the words to every song. I find it satisfying and nobody bitches
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:"At a loud electric show it goes w/ the territory."

I meant that as a neutral statement, not saying I'm for it. I'm not sure, but I think we are on the same page here

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:definitely suckage, but not as bad as the assholes who bring their harmonicas and play along- seen it at Dylan and Neil shows. And then of course they act like you are the dick if you tell them to stop

For some reason I find this hilarious and embarrassing...who would have the nerve to do this? The next time I see Rush I am taking a drum set and playing along to YYZ.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

whatwouldcooleydo?

BigTom wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:definitely suckage, but not as bad as the assholes who bring their harmonicas and play along- seen it at Dylan and Neil shows. And then of course they act like you are the dick if you tell them to stop

For some reason I find this hilarious and embarrassing...who would have the nerve to do this? The next time I see Rush I am taking a drum set and playing along to YYZ.

I've seen it at three shows I can remember, two Neil and one Dylan. I'm a longtime freak magnet from my days of Dead touring, but this is beyond the pale. Next time I see Ravi Shankar I'll be toting a sitar :lol:

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

Jonicont wrote:I mouth the words to every song. I find it satisfying and nobody bitches

:D

TheKingofLeisure

Post by TheKingofLeisure »

Sorry, but singing at a concert is LAME. It has nothing to do with being enthusiastic. If a show or song moves me, I cheer between songs or when it's over. That is enthusiasm. You do not impress me because you know the lyrics. As someone said earlier that you would tell someone to "kiss your ass" if they asked you to stop, well that is more lame than your weak singing (and it wouldn't be kissing that would happen to your ass, it would be your ass getting kicked). In my mind if you know you are hindering someone else's enjoyment and continue to do it you are just selfish. You want to go to a concert and sing all night go see Neil Diamond.

Clams

Post by Clams »

TheKingofLeisure wrote:Sorry, but singing at a concert is LAME. It has nothing to do with being enthusiastic. If a show or song moves me, I cheer between songs or when it's over. That is enthusiasm. You do not impress me because you know the lyrics. As someone said earlier that you would tell someone to "kiss your ass" if they asked you to stop, well that is more lame than your weak singing (and it wouldn't be kissing that would happen to your ass, it would be your ass getting kicked). In my mind if you know you are hindering someone else's enjoyment and continue to do it you are just selfish. You want to go to a concert and sing all night go see Neil Diamond.

Obviously etiquette is your strong point.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Am I smelling a whiff of steak at this BBQ?

TheKingofLeisure

Post by TheKingofLeisure »

Clams wrote:
TheKingofLeisure wrote:Sorry, but singing at a concert is LAME. It has nothing to do with being enthusiastic. If a show or song moves me, I cheer between songs or when it's over. That is enthusiasm. You do not impress me because you know the lyrics. As someone said earlier that you would tell someone to "kiss your ass" if they asked you to stop, well that is more lame than your weak singing (and it wouldn't be kissing that would happen to your ass, it would be your ass getting kicked). In my mind if you know you are hindering someone else's enjoyment and continue to do it you are just selfish. You want to go to a concert and sing all night go see Neil Diamond.

Obviously etiquette is your strong point.

Obviously among the many.

whatwouldcooleydo?

ramonz wrote:Am I smelling a whiff of steak at this BBQ?

apropos of not much, that brings to mind this great Shonna quote from the 1st TDU show in SF: "I smell taters and steak" :lol:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm not about to engage in a flame-war about who's gonna kick whose internet ass, and I agree there is a line when it comes to such things, but if I go to a rock show I'm gonna sing every fucking word if I want cuz that's what I do, if its bothersome and you go about it nicely I may take a suggestion, but I've never had a problem like that - most of the time it's nearly a whole section singing and it's magic. If you come to sit on your hands and clap a lil, thats your perogative. I come to have a good time, if I'm screwing with someone else's good time and I realize it I'll def stop cuz I'm a very courteous and thoughtful person, it's never been a problem before though - have a drink, get a buzz, have a good time - if you get a lil beer or whiskey spilt on you and the guy next to you sings a lil bit, so what? It's a rock show. Let your hair down and have a good time and let other people have a good time. It comes with the territory. It ain't about impressing you or anybody else, it's about enjoying yourself - if you can't do that you don't need to be at the show.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

And just what the fuck is wrong with Neil Diamond?
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:if I'm screwing with someone else's good time and I realize it I'll def stop

that right there's the crux of the biscuit.... or is it the nexus of the crisis? I never can keep that shit straight :)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gator McKlusky wrote:

Sweeeeeeet Caroline! Bom Bom Bom!

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

Clams wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote:

Sweeeeeeet Caroline! Bom Bom Bom!

That would be Sweeeeet Caroline, (YOUR PART;) "WHOA ! WHOA ! WHOA !" Followed by " Good times Never felt so good" (YOUR PART;) " SO GOOD ! SO GOOD ! SO GOOD! :

Jeezs If your gonna sing along get it right Clams !!!

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

Just don't get too wasted.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Indian Rider Oz wrote:
Clams wrote:Sweeeeeeet Caroline! Bom Bom Bom!

That would be Sweeeeet Caroline, (YOUR PART;) "WHOA ! WHOA ! WHOA !" Followed by " Good times Never felt so good" (YOUR PART;) " SO GOOD ! SO GOOD ! SO GOOD! :

Jeezs If your gonna sing along get it right Clams !!!

Sorry Oz. I don't think I've ever been sober when singing that, so that's my excuse. I'm so embarrassed. :oops:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

People sing at DBT shows. If it's an issue, get the fuck over it. Seriously. If it's over the top where you're being irritated and there isn't any other asshatery at work, ask them politely to stop. I'm guessing they usually will, but to say anybody singing at a loud rock show is "lame" is a bit ridiculous.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:People sing at DBT shows. If it's an issue, get the fuck over it. Seriously. If it's over the top where you're being irritated and there isn't any other asshatery at work, ask them politely to stop. I'm guessing they usually will, but to say anybody singing at a loud rock show is "lame" is a bit ridiculous.

couldn't say it better myself. I get overwhelmed at shows. It takes over me. I sing, not too loud, air guitar & drums, jump around. I dare you to tell me to stop. I paid to get in and this is what I do.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

lajakesdad wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:People sing at DBT shows. If it's an issue, get the fuck over it. Seriously. If it's over the top where you're being irritated and there isn't any other asshatery at work, ask them politely to stop. I'm guessing they usually will, but to say anybody singing at a loud rock show is "lame" is a bit ridiculous.

couldn't say it better myself. I get overwhelmed at shows. It takes over me. I sing, not too loud, air guitar & drums, jump around. I dare you to tell me to stop. I paid to get in and this is what I do.

me muthafuckin' too!!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Jonicont wrote:I mouth the words to every song. I find it satisfying and nobody bitches

Between your lip-syncing and my air guitar, we could rule the world.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

I like to go all G.G. Allin on people around me at shows. I dare you to tell me to stop. I paid to get in and this is what I do. Deal with it. A little blood and shit never hurt anybody ;)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Exactly.

If theres anybody whose never been to a DBT show and you're reading this thread, don't worry - if you feel compelled to sing/dance/whatever nobody is going to kick your ass. IMO it would take someone with a lot of nerve to even say something to you (unless you're just being completely outrageous)

The rock shows about having a good time. If I'm at a show I'm usually so into the band I don't pay attention to anybody even potentially annoying - if they're enjoying the show and not being disrespectful to the band, I look over them. Just about every show I've been to, DBT or otherwise, there's always some stoned/shroomed guy swaying and singing along (maybe a few words behind) and it's kinda annoying but I overlook it, cuz the guy's having a good time - if the guy next to you has had a few too many and is singing at the top of his lungs to "The Deeper In", grin and bear it. Don't be an asshole.

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

"The King of Leisure" isn't very leisurely.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

mgsooner wrote:"The King of Leisure" isn't very leisurely.

He just came off as being a dick to me.

Sorry my very appreciated mods for the name calling, but sometimes you gotta call it like it is.