DBT Concert Etiquette

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: DBT Concert Etiquette

Post by beantownbubba »

Swamp wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Emily wrote:I hate it when people throw stuff on stage, like their band's CD.

I may have thrown a pair of my boxers at shonna once... :oops:

:lol: :lol: We had been going to alot DU shows and wanted to get it on tape,
Marina throwing her panties at Cooley during "Panties in Your Purse" :lol:
But she kept forgetting to bring an extra. Finally the Birmingham show she
remembered. It was a real high stage. They landed in front of Shonna :lol:
and yes the video is in our private collection :roll: or maybe she's got it
on youtube.

Bringing an extra is hardly in keeping w/ the spirit of the thing, is it? ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

beantownbubba wrote:
Swamp wrote: :lol: :lol: We had been going to alot DU shows and wanted to get it on tape,
Marina throwing her panties at Cooley during "Panties in Your Purse" :lol:
But she kept forgetting to bring an extra. Finally the Birmingham show she
remembered. It was a real high stage. They landed in front of Shonna :lol:
and yes the video is in our private collection :roll: or maybe she's got it
on youtube.

Bringing an extra is hardly in keeping w/ the spirit of the thing, is it? ;)

I've told her that but she refuses to take her pants off at shows :(
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

I tend to not get up front very often and what bugs the hell out of me is the chatter! If y'all are up at the front you may not notice it but if you're back say 4 or 5 rows, the chatter begins and that makes me crazy! Why do you buy a ticket and then talk and carry on through out the entire freakin show??? But of course, at the end of the song they're hootin & hollering, fists and beers in the air like they actually have a clue as to what they just played! I'm talking about the people that literally carry out conversatons with each other during the entire show!!!!....Shut the F up!!
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

Emily

Post by Emily »

^ How can anyone even hear what the person next to them says when you're up front at a show?!
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

never going back wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Or Isbell songs at a DBT show.

Heard "Outfit" and "Danko" shouted in Asheville.

Douche or not......

I wore a Hood/Cooley '08 shirt to Jason's Norva show a while back. There were only 100 or so folks there and I've been concerned ever since that my "show my DBT love" apparel selection could have been douchery, since he likely noticed it.

Thoughts?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Swamp wrote:I've told her that but she refuses to take her pants off at shows :(

prude :)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

ramonz wrote:
never going back wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Douche or not......

I wore a Hood/Cooley '08 shirt to Jason's Norva show a while back. There were only 100 or so folks there and I've been concerned ever since that my "show my DBT love" apparel selection could have been douchery, since he likely noticed it.

Thoughts?

the fact that you were concerned means you likely were not a douche. True douchery has no conscience or second thoughts

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

Emily wrote:^ How can anyone even hear what the person next to them says when you're up front at a show?!

Not sure, I don't usually get up front. I'm talking about if you're back a bit you hear it all. Have you not heard it on recordings? In the general area of the tapers....Nasty chatter....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jdwolf wrote:
Emily wrote:^ How can anyone even hear what the person next to them says when you're up front at a show?!

Not sure, I don't usually get up front. I'm talking about if you're back a bit you hear it all. Have you not heard it on recordings? In the general area of the tapers....Nasty chatter....

Talking near tapers is the worst etiquette breach of all. Seriously, WTF?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

AJaX

Post by AJaX »

i have a good time at shows. i guess sometimes i should think more of others but i'm usually too busy stomping my boots, yelling, and spilling whiskey on myself

whatwouldcooleydo?

AJaX wrote:i have a good time at shows. i guess sometimes i should think more of others but i'm usually too busy stomping my boots, yelling, and spilling whiskey on myself

to quote one of my favorite musicians and someone I know personally, Jimmy Smith of the mighty Gourds, "It's for drinkin', not spillin'" ;)

AJaX

Post by AJaX »

lol that's why i'm usually double fisting whiskey

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ramonz wrote:
never going back wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Douche or not......

Thoughts?

Not nearly douchery. There are only 2 likely interpretations:

1. I've been a fan of yours for a long time and know at least a little of your personal musical history/bio. Hard to have a problem w/ that.

2. You made a mistake leaving the band, and besides Hood & Cooley are better than you. If u [NGB] really thought that, why would u be at the show? A one woman protest movement? Nah, no way he could think that. You're good.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jdwolf wrote:

I, ummm, hear ya, jdwolf. I HATE that so much at shows. And if they can't hear each other, emily, THEY JUST TALK LOUDER!!! It's absolutely ridiculous and totally irrational. But very consistent at shows i've been to in the past 5 or so years.

mhc

Post by mhc »

Guys, hasn't this type of behavior been going on since the dawn of time at concerts. Of course, you are going to have the drunks, the assholes that push their way up front, idiots screaming at the top of their lungs during a ballad, yelling for material that they know deep down they just don't play, and annoying the shit out of you for their favorite song, because ultimately, it is the only song they know. It's one of the disadvantages of going to any type of show period. Nothing new. Just have to deal with it.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

AJaX wrote:i have a good time at shows. i guess sometimes i should think more of others but i'm usually too busy stomping my boots, yelling, and spilling whiskey on myself

roger that.

mhc

Post by mhc »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
jdwolf wrote:

Talking near tapers is the worst etiquette breach of all. Seriously, WTF?

I agree to a certain point, this isn't like Dead shows, or Panic show, or Phish shows, There there is a designated Taper section for the Truckers. Unfortunately, playing in a club, tapers don't have that choice. Also casual people that go to DBT shows don't know how to be quiet around a taper.
Clams

whatwouldcooleydo?

mhc wrote:Guys, hasn't this type of behavior been going on since the dawn of time at concerts. Of course, you are going to have the drunks, the assholes that push their way up front, idiots screaming at the top of their lungs during a ballad, yelling for material that they know deep down they just don't play, and annoying the shit out of you for their favorite song, because ultimately, it is the only song they know. It's one of the disadvantages of going to any type of show period. Nothing new. Just have to deal with it.

it's why I always carry a tazer

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

mhc wrote:Guys, hasn't this type of behavior been going on since the dawn of time at concerts. Of course, you are going to have the drunks, the assholes that push their way up front, idiots screaming at the top of their lungs during a ballad, yelling for material that they know deep down they just don't play, and annoying the shit out of you for their favorite song, because ultimately, it is the only song they know. It's one of the disadvantages of going to any type of show period. Nothing new. Just have to deal with it.

Actually, no. Except the yelling inappropriately at ballads. Remember, the whole concert scene is different now - the whole GA standing for 5 hrs thing is relatively new. I'm not saying there was a golden age of perfection, but at least in my experience things were quite different and generally more pleasant. Then again, i was a lot younger then, so some of this may just be my inner curmudgeon talking. But not all of it.

whatwouldcooleydo?

AJaX wrote:lol that's why i'm usually double fisting whiskey

well, if you are ever at a show with me, just give me one, I won't spill it :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

There are degrees of it though. I've been to many DBT shows where the crowd has been exceptionally well behaved, but yeah,where alcohol is involved shit's going to happen. I would just hope that people who are true fans would know when they were crossing the line and excuse themselves to the back or whatever.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

There are degrees of it though. I've been to many DBT shows where the crowd has been exceptionally well behaved, but yeah,where alcohol is involved shit's going to happen. I would just hope that people who are true fans would know when they were crossing the line and excuse themselves to the back or whatever.

Good point, TC: the difference between alcohol fueled and dope mellowed crowds is considerable and that has to be counted as a major difference between "then" and now.

whatwouldcooleydo?

as a former taper, good mics will pick up things that you would never think would be heard. With quality mics, you can hear things on a recording that were "unhearable" (new word) at the show

Not to defend douchebag talkers or anything

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

I remember going to shows when I was younger, and a few bands in particular come to mind, the allman bros, the grateful dead and when after a loooong time of jamming, all of a sudden you would notice that everyone in the venue were just chatting away...understandable...at a 3 hour DBT rock show...not so much...maybe i'm just getting old!! :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Good point, TC: the difference between alcohol fueled and dope mellowed crowds is considerable and that has to be counted as a major difference between "then" and now.

There is a huge difference too. As it gets harder and harder for people to partake in no smoking venues, the crowd gets worse.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dime in the gutter wrote:

roger that.

I heard your feet fucking reek at shows.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

mhc

Post by mhc »

I think it is one of the disadvantages of seeing this band playing in clubs.
Clams

mhc

Post by mhc »

"unhearable"???? :lol:
Clams

whatwouldcooleydo?

mhc wrote:"unhearable"???? :lol:

hence the quotation marks :lol:

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

CooleyGirl wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, I was really surprised to see that original comment in the old Norfolk thread. I thought the rule was pretty clear: If you got there to claim the spot originally, u can leave for various "convenience breaks" and expect to get it back (but not get there first, leave for 3 hrs then come back at showtime). But saving spots for your friends who had to work, were waiting for the babysitter, etc etc etc just doesn't cut it. I'm also a little surprised that all the examples of boorish behavior have been frat boy types: What about the pretty girls? At least the frat boys have the excuse of being drunk and stupid. The girls just feel that they're entitled. Apparently some guys agree w/ them, but i aint one of them.

Yep, I've had my share of run-ins with the pretty girls. Just cuz you're pretty doesn't mean you can barge up front an hour into the DBT set. Hell no! In Athens this year LaraElisabeth and Bill in CT and I had some flailing arms girls who were trying to dance and whacking everyone around them in the process. Good thing Lara knows how to elbow dance! :lol:

Speaking of Girls trying to crash the front one broad just last month at webster hall was hitting on me to let her thru (actually physically hitting) she showed up 3/4 into the dbt set & got really pissed when I would not let her( she was drunk of course) the guy next to me just laughed with me about it, I told her, at my age it takes more than a nice rack, & I pretty smile to get to my good side, it took her awhile then she realized the 2nd song into the encore so she went & got us each a beer & asked nice well with a couple songs left & a cold beer we let her in front, then she wanted to drink the bottle patterson gave me after the show I gave her & her friend a sip & sent them on their way.
I do agree that the drunk chicks are a hell of a lot pusher than the drunk frat boys, The Frat Boys don't tend to bother me much they move onto the smaller pray, but I always help watch each other's back, & spot, Those of you that I've hung with at shows know this & I know ya'all do the same, It;s like a mini home coming when ya get to a show & see ya'all

having been going to concerts since the mid 70's I think the lack of smoking & increase in drinking has changed the vibe a great deal at shows, Less mellow more Beer courage.
Joe Oz