DBT Concert Etiquette

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Steve French

Re: DBT Concert Etiquette

Post by Steve French »

Smitty wrote:
never going back wrote:
Smitty wrote:I understand the confusion that alcohol can inflict on one's memory, but please don't continue to holler out requests to songs that have already been played.

Or Isbell songs at a DBT show.

Heard "Outfit" and "Danko" shouted in Asheville.

that's a good one. I heard "Outfit" and "Decoration Day" at the TDU show in Atl.

has anyone ever been stupid enough to yell "Freebird" or anything REALLY fucking stupid? I sort of imagine someone swinging a guitar at that point, Sid Vicious style (those Fender basses are HEAVY) I had the pleasure of hearing Cooley call some idiot a motherfucker (twice) that was funny.

My pet peeve, now I am old, and cant be arsed fighting my way to the front is tall people (anyone ver 5 ft 6) standing in front of me. If you punch them in the kidneys till they piss blood, generally they'll move. (joking).... there dont seem to be the fights that there were at shows, maybe I go to see bands with a better class of fan now?
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
StevieRay wrote:It is this simple: don't be a douchebag. That is all you need to remember.

ah, what a wonderful world it would be if it were indeed that simple

people ARE, often. sad but true
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Steve French wrote:
StevieRay wrote:It is this simple: don't be a douchebag. That is all you need to remember.

ah, what a wonderful world it would be if it were indeed that simple

people ARE, often. sad but true

Oh, I agree 100%. Unfortunately "that guy" is everywhere
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

don't wave a DBT sticker that you made at Cooley all night in a desperate, drunk-out-of-your-skull attempt to get his attention. All you will get, and quite deservedly, is his scorn

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:I understand the confusion that alcohol can inflict on one's memory, but please don't continue to holler out requests to songs that have already been played.

:lol: :lol: I have never heard that at any show I've attended by any band, but that would really be something special to hear. Once. :D
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:

:lol: :lol: I have never heard that at any show I've attended by any band, but that would really be something special to hear. Once. :D

I've heard it at Wilco and Gillian Welch shows, with of course Tweedy pointing it out. Pretty sure I've heard it happen at a Gourds show as well.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Of course yelling "freebird" is pretty much the definition of inexcusable douchebaggery, but i dunno...imagine it's the encore after DBT has played the much anticipated SRO show...at the right moment, i think shouting freebird! could be pretty cool. Then again, maybe i'm an inexcusable douchebag.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Of course yelling "freebird" is pretty much the definition of inexcusable douchebaggery, but i dunno...imagine it's the encore after DBT has played the much anticipated SRO show...at the right moment, i think shouting freebird! could be pretty cool. Then again, maybe i'm an inexcusable douchebag.

very funny cartoon in a recent New Yorker, depicting some unseen person yelling "Freebird" as band of bagpipers march by in some kind of parade. Tried to find an image to post but struck out

whatwouldcooleydo?

I used to yell, "Aqualung, Phil!" all the time at Dead shows (in between songs, OF COURSE), even getting Phil to point at me and smile when I did it at Hampton 1988 (I was right down front and in front of him). Strangely enough, the smile and point was all I ever got, he never sang it :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:Of course yelling "freebird" is pretty much the definition of inexcusable douchebaggery, but i dunno...imagine it's the encore after DBT has played the much anticipated SRO show...at the right moment, i think shouting freebird! could be pretty cool. Then again, maybe i'm an inexcusable douchebag.

very funny cartoon in a recent New Yorker, depicting some unseen person yelling "Freebird" as band of bagpipers march by in some kind of parade. Tried to find an image to post but struck out

You sure it wasn't the dropkick murphys St Patrick's Day show? :)

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:

You sure it wasn't the dropkick murphys St Patrick's Day show? :)

positive. The parade in the cartoon probably a St. Patrick's Day parade

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:

TDU show in atlanta, drunk hot bitch (she deserves that moniker) kept yelling "BUH-DOZERS & DIRTTT" between every song and during songs - they played it, and no shit a song or two later she was back at it again. She also kept stumbling all over me and then cussing me out for "pushing" her... fortunately the alcohol got too much of her about halfway through and left
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

when we do our boxerfit in the local park, often there is a pipe band practising. Next summer, I might yell "Freebird" at them for a giggle. Hey, I'll be wearing boxing gloves, what can possibly go wrong?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Steve French wrote:when we do our boxerfit in the local park, often there is a pipe band practising. Next summer, I might yell "Freebird" at them for a giggle. Hey, I'll be wearing boxing gloves, what can possibly go wrong?

you box? That's awesome, I'm a huge fan of the sweet science

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Or picture this: DBT comes out for the encore after the SRO show and w/ that sly Patterson grin on his face Patterson shouts, "what song do you want to hear?" and w/out skipping a beat, the crowd yells in unison: "FREEBIRD!" as Neff and Cooley hit those first notes...

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:

Or picture this: DBT comes out for the encore after the SRO show and w/ that sly Patterson grin on his face Patterson shouts, "what song do you want to hear?" and w/out skipping a beat, the crowd yells in unison: "FREEBIRD!" as Neff and Cooley hit those first notes...

i could mos def get into that. 8-)

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

no no no... I do fitness classes taken by an ex professional boxer. pad and glove stuff, no sparring, no contact. in fact, check his site:

www.boxerfit.co.nz

I can't deal with gyms and rah rah yay you go girl stuff (no disrespect to those who do....). Being shouted at rather than cajoled works fine for me.... and I am a boxing fan. Oh yes.

back to concerts, I just had the thought that if Jay wanted to really take the piss out of the crowd, he could play the intro two or so bars to Freebird, see if anyone reacted. It'd be funny as hell I reckon.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:

I'd like to hear Neff take on the solo with his steel...

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I'd like to hear Neff take on the solo with his steel...

well, if they are gonna do it, do it RIGHT and bring this fella out

one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV, was watching it as it happened and thought I would choke from laughing so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cooley Girl will back me up on this one: Never, ever touch Patterson's hair while he's on his knees singing People Who Died.
If you don't run you rust

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

just on that "Be careful with the crowd thing" at a crowded house show (maybe the last one?) the band played the intro to "No Woman No Cry" and I think the plan was to segue into something else, except the ENTIRE crowd started singing "No Woman No Cry" and so the band played the rest of the song. It was cool. Hmmmm will check u toob for that one.
"

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

and don't talk/take pictures of friends/etc during a slow part if you're right up front, they seem to take exception to that.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:don't wave a DBT sticker that you made at Cooley all night in a desperate, drunk-out-of-your-skull attempt to get his attention. All you will get, and quite deservedly, is his scorn

I can't imagine anyone douchey enough to do that.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

whatwouldcooleydo?

one belt loop wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:don't wave a DBT sticker that you made at Cooley all night in a desperate, drunk-out-of-your-skull attempt to get his attention. All you will get, and quite deservedly, is his scorn

I can't imagine anyone douchey enough to do that.

neither can I

Emily

Post by Emily »

I hate it when people throw stuff on stage, like their band's CD.
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Emily wrote:I hate it when people throw stuff on stage, like their band's CD.

I may have thrown a pair of my boxers at shonna once... :oops:

whatwouldcooleydo?

I do recall a very good friend and a member of this here board tossing Shonna some green "treats" at the first SF Dirt Underneath show, and she seemed very appreciative.

If said good friend reads this, hollah!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Steve French wrote:
has anyone ever been stupid enough to yell "Freebird" or anything REALLY fucking stupid?

DU Tour, San Fran, '07. I believe we have it on video somewhere and archives might
have it. Patterson theatend to kick the guys ass :D
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Smitty wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

TDU show in atlanta, drunk hot bitch (she deserves that moniker) kept yelling "BUH-DOZERS & DIRTTT" between every song and during songs - they played it, and no shit a song or two later she was back at it again. She also kept stumbling all over me and then cussing me out for "pushing" her... fortunately the alcohol got too much of her about halfway through and left

I got your back on this one Smitty. And Marina's most likly got that on video too. :lol:
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Smitty wrote:

I may have thrown a pair of my boxers at shonna once... :oops:

:lol: :lol: We had been going to alot DU shows and wanted to get it on tape,
Marina throwing her panties at Cooley during "Panties in Your Purse" :lol:
But she kept forgetting to bring an extra. Finally the Birmingham show she
remembered. It was a real high stage. They landed in front of Shonna :lol:
and yes the video is in our private collection :roll: or maybe she's got it
on youtube.