Patterson's Comments on Two New Albums Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Patterson's Comments on Two New Albums Thread

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Y’all,
Poking my nose in from time to time to say Hi.
Hi!

Appreciate the love and comments (good bad, ugly, otherwise).

Thought I’d throw in a couple of comments from my (somewhat biased and not always correct) point of view:

Why 3 1/2 years?

Very valid question. I ask that myself. A lot. Multitude of reasons veering from biz to creative to personal.
Orson Welles once said he’d sell no wine before its time. I don’t think he actually sold wine, but I get his point.

After I wrote “Ever South” I took a whole year off without writing a single song (first time since 1973). Then I spent 8 months writing “The Perilous Night”.
Sometimes shit happens and sometimes life conspires to make shit take a very long time. We toured the world, worked on renovating a house, raised kids and moved three times during that year. Literally moved three times. It was brutal. Then my daughter had major surgery (successful) and we toured for several more years.
When my writers block (which didn’t start out being that but…) ceased, I basically wrote a solo album (someday, I’ll make it) before finally having a breakthrough towards writing songs for next DBT album. Cooley, who writes much slower than me had an even harder time. It all adds up.

We recorded 18 songs in 7 days in Memphis last fall (Jagger came by, it was awesome) and had an absolute blast. Then it took a long time to figure out what was actually the album and what was going to be bonus or B-sides and what would be part of some future project. I feel like in the end we got it right, but it definitely took some time.

There were other considerations in setting a release date like having time to get all of the pre-release stuff done (the shape of the biz nowadays makes that take longer and even more important), timing for setting up a launch and that kind of tour, other personal considerations, label considerations (our label had a very major release this fall that would have hindered promotional resources for us that we were better off waiting out, etc.).

In the end, I’m really excited about the new album and can’t wait for y’all to hear it.

As for the size and excitement of the crowds, I’m kinda blown away by how well things have gone for a band touring behind a 3+ years old album.
We sold out Savannah GA on a Monday night (a town that has never really turned out for us), sales were way up in New Orleans this time as well as Charlotte, Louisville (where we set an all time march sales record for our band), Pittsburgh, and a couple of others.

Much of where we play and when has to do with promoters hiring us. We’re not avoiding Ohio as much as perhaps Ohio sometimes not turning out to make promoters book us to play. That’ll hopefully improve upon the world hearing our new masterpiece (smiley face).

We have a long wonderful relationship at Brooklyn Bowl. They had been asking us to do that residency for some time and the timing finally worked out. They booked us knowing full well that 6 nights wouldn’t sell out, but it being Pride week (which probably isn’t one of Brooklyn Bowl’s busiest weeks) they knew we’d have a good sized crowd having a lot of fun and the whole thing was deemed a big success. We sure had a blast.

Above all else, we appreciate you Heathens and the support you give us. We’re going to be touring a lot next year and have some cool shit up our collective sleeves.
Hope to see all of you at The Rock and Roll Show.

Best wishes, Patterson
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Re: Patterson's Comments on Two New Albums Thread

Post by Zip City »

His point about Ohio is completely valid. I don’t think the promoters do a good job of selling DBT shows, especially compared to other bands at the same venues. It’s a double whammy if mediocre promotion and a fickle music scene. I’m often annoyed at the generally low enthusiasm level I see at most shows I attend, even those that are sold out. There are only a small handful of bands that I’ve seen get the kind of support I would expect a metropolitan area of a million people to provide. This is a city that supports sports over music the vast majority of the time.

I know the lack of shows in my neck of the woods often comes across as frustration with the band, but I know what the problems here are. It’s hard to describe, but I think if any of you who have seen a lot of shows were to see one here, you’d feel the difference. Not from the band (they’ve been great every single time) but from the vibe of the crowd.

If I were Patterson, I wouldn’t rank Ohio high on my list of places to play either. And it’s frustrating to love a band in a city that doesn’t share that enthusiasm, especially when traveling to friendlier cities is usually out of the question.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:His point about Ohio is completely valid. I don’t think the promoters do a good job of selling DBT shows, especially compared to other bands at the same venues. It’s a double whammy if mediocre promotion and a fickle music scene. I’m often annoyed at the generally low enthusiasm level I see at most shows I attend, even those that are sold out. There are only a small handful of bands that I’ve seen get the kind of support I would expect a metropolitan area of a million people to provide. This is a city that supports sports over music the vast majority of the time.

I know the lack of shows in my neck of the woods often comes across as frustration with the band, but I know what the problems here are. It’s hard to describe, but I think if any of you who have seen a lot of shows were to see one here, you’d feel the difference. Not from the band (they’ve been great every single time) but from the vibe of the crowd.

If I were Patterson, I wouldn’t rank Ohio high on my list of places to play either. And it’s frustrating to love a band in a city that doesn’t share that enthusiasm, especially when traveling to friendlier cities is usually out of the question.
Funny that I just watched Dave Chappelle’s most recent special and now I read this. His bit about Ohio was pretty funny.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:His point about Ohio is completely valid. I don’t think the promoters do a good job of selling DBT shows, especially compared to other bands at the same venues. It’s a double whammy if mediocre promotion and a fickle music scene. I’m often annoyed at the generally low enthusiasm level I see at most shows I attend, even those that are sold out. There are only a small handful of bands that I’ve seen get the kind of support I would expect a metropolitan area of a million people to provide. This is a city that supports sports over music the vast majority of the time.

Funny that I just watched Dave Chappelle’s most recent special and now I read this. His bit about Ohio was pretty funny.
Chappelle lives in Yellow Springs, Ohio...a little hippy/art town in the middle of deep-red territory.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Chappelle lives in Yellow Springs, Ohio...a little hippy/art town in the middle of deep-red territory.
He said Ohio is a Native American word meaning poor white people. He said” And I don’t know how it is where you live but in Ohio poor white love, and I mean LOVE...heroin. First time I saw it I didn’t know what I was looking at. I was wondering why all these white people were so sleepy. And you know what it reminds of? It reminds me of us. It looks just like black people during the crack epidemic in the 80s. And I can understand exactly what white people were feeling then. ‘Cause I don’t care either.” Lol.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

PH: one motherfuckin’ decent dude!!!

Record Bar alumni rule
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

It may be an age thing, but I hardly ever find myself being impatient about things these days, so I haven't been thinking about this album in the way other people seem to have. The music has been recorded, and eventually will be released. Always interesting when we are let in on some of the numerous aspects that goes into the process of making music and getting it out there. Seems to me that the band is (and has been been for many years) allowed full control - both artistic and business wise - over what, how and when. I take it that previous cycles of album releases, promotion and touring has though them a lesson or two.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks so much Patterson. Fantastic, informative post. More (of course) when I’m at a keyboard.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hey Patterson thanks for the heads up / explanation. You didn't have to do that but it's appreciated. 2020 is shaping up to be a Helluva DBT year. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

RolanK wrote:It may be an age thing, but I hardly ever find myself being impatient about things these days, so I haven't been thinking about this album in the way other people seem to have. The music has been recorded, and eventually will be released. Always interesting when we are let in on some of the numerous aspects that goes into the process of making music and getting it out there. Seems to me that the band is (and has been been for many years) allowed full control - both artistic and business wise - over what, how and when. I take it that previous cycles of album releases, promotion and touring has though them a lesson or two.
I think this is utterly critical and extremely right on.

They've earned the right to take as much damn time as they need...because the "product" will be stamped with the same quality that everything else they do has, from records to shows to merch to how they treat people. With additional timeline pressures...not saying any of that would change, but the stressors on the band, individually and collectively couldn't help but take a toll.

We're also lucky that PH gives us a real peek behind the curtain in a meaningful way. (And thank you for that!) And I hope the songs come pouring out of Cooley, too, as I know I've been totally spoiled with the nearly 50/50 split over the last two records. But even if it's not, I know the QC is high, and whatever we get will be choice.
Last edited by glennrwordman on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

glennrwordman wrote:They've earned the right to take as much damn time as they need
Of course they have. I don't think anybody is saying otherwise.

Once again, thanks Patterson. I don't think it needs to be said how unusual your communication with the band's fans is and it is part of what makes us collectively who and what we are.

Speaking personally, I had heard that you were experiencing writer's block but I had no idea it had lasted as long as it did. For someone who's been writing songs daily since you were 8, that must have been an awful experience and I'm glad it's over so I can only imagine how relieved you are.

Really appreciate your thoughts about the Brooklyn Bowl residency. I know I'm one of the few people around here who actually gets into the business side of the band and so your perspective on that is invaluable. Glad to hear the band continues to do so well on the road generally.

Apropos of nothing, yet somehow relevant, the sermon our rabbi gave during today's Yom Kippur service could have been right out of a DBT song :D Just to provide a little flavor, the rabbi talked about his recent (and first) trip to Alabama, more or less on a "civil rights movement tour" and his own recent experiences of how white privilege works. I've tried to turn him on to the band before and I think it's time for another go at it. Our new cantor has more than a little rock 'n roll in her (she played a little REM during last week's Rosh Hashana service) and I'm seeing a "DBT plays the Temple" live recording in our future :lol:

Belk

Post by Belk »

I totally agree, Zip. I share in your frustration about the limited number of shows in Ohio. My question is what, if anything, can we do about it?
The last show I saw was when they played the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2017. They completely rocked and I believe that prior to them coming on stage, a rep from the Rock Hall got up to say that due in large part to the concert, the hall set an all time single day attendance record. People turn out for the shows, perhaps not with as much enthusiasm as some of us, but they show up.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:They've earned the right to take as much damn time as they need
Of course they have. I don't think anybody is saying otherwise.
No, not here, of course. But other less understanding DBT fans--again, not here--might be rather less patient!
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Thanks for this, Patterson! Look, I'd been waiting for a new Springsteen record for like 5 years, and then it came and it was a masterwork. One of the best things about following you on the American Band tour (more intermittently for me this year, due to my very expensive honeymoon) was watching you slowly bring out the new stuff and test it out for us. I loved that. Plus, American Band is an A+ record and I was more than happy to hear it live.

Anyway, thank YOU for taking the time to do it right. See you further on up the road.

Willie Shotwell

Post by Willie Shotwell »

Thanks for posting, and thanks to Patterson for the detailed and thoughtful commentary.

Hell, I'm plenty patient. And I'll be at the shows no matter what, new album or no new album.

Can't wait for HC 2020!

Peace, y'all,
Dubshot

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Patterson, Instead of going through a third party, just sign on as "The Man"
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Wes Freed cover art?
Fingers crossed.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I'm all in for DBT plays the Temple! :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Feel like other records coming out in early 2020 are starting to get announced. :idea:

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

coornelius wrote:Feel like other records coming out in early 2020 are starting to get announced. :idea:
Seems like maybe we'll get an album announcement and Homecoming announcement at the same time. That'd be a pretty sweet day for Truckerdom.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Seems like maybe we'll get an album announcement and Homecoming announcement at the same time. That'd be a pretty sweet day for Truckerdom.
Not to be confused w/ Truckerdumb. ;)