The Unraveling- New Record out 1/31

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: The Unraveling- New Record out 1/31

Post by chuckrh »

Humboldt wrote:I have been a grateful member of this board for a while now. Haven't posted much ever or in a long time. Just enjoy what others contribute. I have met people on here at shows and maybe the next day and never have met anyone other than a very cool person. I'm about 60 shows in, been to 3 Homecomings, going on 4. I have a question about human nature. I have my theory but for the true fans here, the question is, why to do people tend to eat their own? I had assumed the right-wingers that were so pissed about American Band who claimed they would no longer be fans had moved on. That's ok, good for them. DBT is not your band, fine. But the Facebook group is doing the same shit again. Criticizing the hell out of the Armageddon, Patterson's voice, minimal Cooley songs (which has been voiced here also), etc, etc. Life is too short. Are we a fan/friend of the band that has given us so many 2-3 hour breaks from the "real" life we live in during a live show? If we are, let's just enjoy what they have given us. Peace.
It's brave of the band to take a stand this day in age. What you are describing kind of goes with the territory. I'm glad we have their voice in these dangerous times.

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

I live in the UK and have little knowledge or interest in US politics. Even though in the past DBT have written about deeply polital issues it seems to have been in a kind of universal story telling way that anyone could relate to, no matter where they came from. I find the the songs about specifically American politics more difficult to relate to in the same way. Not criticising the band for it, after all the last album in being called American Band couldn't be clearer in demonstrating their standpoint, just relating my experience. I don't know what the background to Armagedon's Back in Town is or what it's about, so lyically it sounds pretty random.

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:
Humboldt wrote:I have been a grateful member of this board for a while now. Haven't posted much ever or in a long time. Just enjoy what others contribute. I have met people on here at shows and maybe the next day and never have met anyone other than a very cool person. I'm about 60 shows in, been to 3 Homecomings, going on 4. I have a question about human nature. I have my theory but for the true fans here, the question is, why to do people tend to eat their own? I had assumed the right-wingers that were so pissed about American Band who claimed they would no longer be fans had moved on. That's ok, good for them. DBT is not your band, fine. But the Facebook group is doing the same shit again. Criticizing the hell out of the Armageddon, Patterson's voice, minimal Cooley songs (which has been voiced here also), etc, etc. Life is too short. Are we a fan/friend of the band that has given us so many 2-3 hour breaks from the "real" life we live in during a live show? If we are, let's just enjoy what they have given us. Peace.
It's brave of the band to take a stand this day in age. What you are describing kind of goes with the territory. I'm glad we have their voice in these dangerous times.
That's just the nature of facebook. The DBT group over there... if any post goes over 25 or so comments, to me that's code for stay away and don't read. Way too many people saying way too many stupid things. But again, that's the nature of facebook. I stick to 3dd for meaningful DBT discussion. Also, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

thank god for the filter.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Clams wrote:
chuckrh wrote:
That's just the nature of facebook. The DBT group over there... if any post goes over 25 or so comments, to me that's code for stay away and don't read. Way too many people saying way too many stupid things. But again, that's the nature of facebook. I stick to 3dd for meaningful DBT discussion. Also, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
I deleted my facebook account 6 years ago. It's one of my better decisions.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

305 Engine wrote: I deleted my facebook account 6 years ago. It's one of my better decisions.
I agree. I’m on a few message boards like this where people come to share a common bond, DBTs music. Other than that I am not on social media like Facebook at all. It just enrages people for really no reason when you think about it. If we disagree all the facebooks posts in the world are not going to change that. However the damage it causes could be endless for someone. When ‘American Band’ came out I too saw many fans get very angry about the content of the album. It became like everything else in society a political debate instead of being about the music. Just as all of us are entitled to our opinion on that regard so are they. Artists are allowed to voice their thoughts in music and have since music was put on the radio. DBTs are no different. They have always been a political band just maybe not this openly political. This new album drops in Jan as we all know. It’s going to be very political, if not more than their last, song for song. Keep it about the music and a band you’ve always loved. Music can still be good even with a difference of opinion. If you cannot see past the artists views and thoughts on society in their own articulate way then there is a larger issue or problem at hand for you than music. One thing we all know, this album is going to be quality throughout and it’s going to rock.

On a side note I haven’t heard many songs off the new one yet but will say I really dig the sound of “Armageddon’s Back in Town.”

Flea

Post by Flea »

KcGhostToMost wrote:
305 Engine wrote: I deleted my facebook account 6 years ago. It's one of my better decisions.
I agree. I’m on a few message boards like this where people come to share a common bond, DBTs music. Other than that I am not on social media like Facebook at all. It just enrages people for really no reason when you think about it. If we disagree all the facebooks posts in the world are not going to change that. However the damage it causes could be endless for someone. When ‘American Band’ came out I too saw many fans get very angry about the content of the album. It became like everything else in society a political debate instead of being about the music. Just as all of us are entitled to our opinion on that regard so are they. Artists are allowed to voice their thoughts in music and have since music was put on the radio. DBTs are no different. They have always been a political band just maybe not this openly political. This new album drops in Jan as we all know. It’s going to be very political, if not more than their last, song for song. Keep it about the music and a band you’ve always loved. Music can still be good even with a difference of opinion. If you cannot see past the artists views and thoughts on society in their own articulate way then there is a larger issue or problem at hand for you than music. One thing we all know, this album is going to be quality throughout and it’s going to rock.

On a side note I haven’t heard many songs off the new one yet but will say I really dig the sound of “Armageddon’s Back in Town.”
New meat!
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
KcGhostToMost wrote:

New meat!
Let me translate the fleaspeak for ya, kcghost. It means "welcome."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

KcGhostToMost wrote: If we disagree all the facebooks posts in the world are not going to change that. However the damage it causes could be endless for someone............“Armageddon’s Back in Town."
This!
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

As others have already stated that’s just part of what sucks about Facebook and social media in general. I deleted my Facebook account t a few months ago. I’ve never been sorry. There is something about the format that brings out the worst in people. I noticed it happening with myself and after kind of debating it for a few daysI decided there was more bad than good and pulled the plug. I almost instantaneously felt less aggravated and more like my laid back self than I had felt in a while. Social media is probably fine for some people but there are an awful lot of people who are better off without it.

As for what people say about the new album etc. I’m not bothered by that. They’ve been my favorite band for around twelve years now. I have no idea how many shows and Homecomings I’ve been to but it’s a bunch. Still it doesn’t bother me if somebody criticizes a song or album or whatever as long as they aren’t obviously just trying to be a jerk. Even then I can’t say it bothers me much.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Cole Younger wrote: I deleted my Facebook account a few months ago. I’ve never been sorry.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Heard Armageddon on Outlaw Country. Second time listening to it. Good riff, and it fits squarely into the current "era" of DBT (which I define as the post-Heat Lightning/Jay Gonzalez era).

I still can't warm to the use of piano in the uptempo rock songs. The incessant "plink plink plink plink" under the riff drives me batty (and there was an American Band song that did this as well). Keep with the 3rd guitar or the Hammond, Jay!!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote: I still can't warm to the use of piano in the uptempo rock songs. The incessant "plink plink plink plink" under the riff drives me batty (and there was an American Band song that did this as well). Keep with the 3rd guitar or the Hammond, Jay!!
Seconded
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brett27295 wrote:
Zip City wrote: I still can't warm to the use of piano in the uptempo rock songs. The incessant "plink plink plink plink" under the riff drives me batty (and there was an American Band song that did this as well). Keep with the 3rd guitar or the Hammond, Jay!!
Seconded

see Chuck Leavell's work with the Stones. so totally wrong for the Stones (the jam band ethos). Ian Stewart was an entirely different conversation. his work was more like Johnnie Johnson with Chuck Berry.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

brett27295 wrote:
Seconded
As a whole, signed.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Zip City wrote:Heard Armageddon on Outlaw Country. Second time listening to it. Good riff, and it fits squarely into the current "era" of DBT (which I define as the post-Heat Lightning/Jay Gonzalez era).

I still can't warm to the use of piano in the uptempo rock songs. The incessant "plink plink plink plink" under the riff drives me batty (and there was an American Band song that did this as well). Keep with the 3rd guitar or the Hammond, Jay!!
Yep. Throw me into this camp as well. Was an example "Surrender Under Protest"?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

211poundsofpork wrote:
Zip City wrote:Heard Armageddon on Outlaw Country. Second time listening to it. Good riff, and it fits squarely into the current "era" of DBT (which I define as the post-Heat Lightning/Jay Gonzalez era).

Yep. Throw me into this camp as well. Was an example "Surrender Under Protest"?
yup
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever