We need to up our game

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Re: We need to up our game

Post by brett27295 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
There are more than one or two new threads in a week, the Other Bands forum is probably the most active, but your point is taken.
You're probably right. In my head I was specifically talking about the DBT general discussion section of the board.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:The only thing I'm glad is gone is the "the band never used to be political" or "just shut up and play rock n' roll" kind of comments which are just ridiculous.
In a bit of perfect timing, I just became aware of this pre-Rocky Mount show article that appeared in the Roanoke Times, which I assume is a local paper, but I don't know how well read or obscure it is. Interestingly, the article is labeled an "editorial," (as opposed to typical music journalism).

https://www.roanoke.com/opinion/editori ... 8.amp.html
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:The only thing I'm glad is gone is the "the band never used to be political" or "just shut up and play rock n' roll" kind of comments which are just ridiculous.
In a bit of perfect timing, I just became aware of this pre-Rocky Mount show article that appeared in the Roanoke Times, which I assume is a local paper, but I don't know how well read or obscure it is. Interestingly, the article is labeled an "editorial," (as opposed to typical music journalism).

"The Drive-By Truckers began as a souped-up Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band..." Like showing up for a date, and puking on the poor girl's shirt. Hard to come back after that.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

glennrwordman wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

"The Drive-By Truckers began as a souped-up Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band..." Like showing up for a date, and puking on the poor girl's shirt. Hard to come back after that.
Yeah, if the article had not been forwarded to me by someone I trusted I probably wouldn't have gone any further than that. See the related comments in the Rocky Mount thread.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:I have no idea if this is true in the kind of numbers that might make it worth addressing, but I wonder whether the size of this place is its own problem. Multiple forums, huge number of threads, many threads going on for pages, many posters w/ thousands of posts (not that I know any of them). Would it make sense to provide a more detailed guide to 3dd w/ explanations of what's where and maybe some recommendations of some quick reading that would help make newbies comfortable? Again, I don't know if this is a problem and if it is whether this is a helpful solution, but I just figured i'd throw it out there for your consideration.
A detailed guide is unnecessary and would be a deterrent. It's not so hard to figure out how this place works, if anyone spends 5 minutes poking around they should be able to figure this place out. And I think the multiple forums, number of threads, and cast of characters (not to mention the excellent DBT content) etc is what makes this place so interesting and compelling, even if that can make it daunting for a newbie who wants to fully immerse him/herself here.

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Message boards are BY FAR the best platforms for intelligent discussion and review. I’m wondering how many people on FB actually know this site exists?
True, although a lot of the good ones from around 2000-2013 (or thereabouts) have lost a considerable amount of steam due to facebook, instagram and the like. A few good ones are still active and going strong, but not nearly as many as 10 years ago.

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:I think part of what does make Facebook nicer is that it’s easy to share video, photos, and audio. I wouldn’t even know where to begin if I wanted to upload an image here.
Yes it's much easier to share stuff on FB, though posting pics here is pretty easy as long as it comes from an online source as opposed to your phone.

chuckrh wrote:in general i'm pretty suspicious of social media. i post here when i've got something to say along with via chicago, iorr, the cure fan forum & echoing the sound. i have pretty diverse tastes. have met some great people & some kind of strange ones. i'm very cautious though. my life is complicated way more than enough. when the stones were in town i did get to have lunch with Bjornulff Vik, who runs its only rock n roll. very interesting guy. anywhere the stones are playing in the world he's there. met a guy on the cure site from england who has kind of turned out to be the cool little brother i never had. i've found that these sites are what you make of them. i don't do facebook, twitter or any of that. with big corporations running them, the distrust factor is high. there are too many factions like google, amazon & even ticketbastard monitoring my activities. also, i've found patterson is pretty accessable if you know where to look. this is outside of facebook etc.

Interesting that you don't like social media but yet are active on various message boards. Because I think message boards are definitely a form of social media.[/quote]

i don't detect any massive corporate satans involved in anywhere i post. its a much different thing. nobody selling data about me. much more organic. who knows, without facebook maybe the US wouldn't be the laughingstock of the world.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

RolanK wrote:Well, the question you have to answer when you register here makes it pretty tough to "become a member".
:lol: :lol: :lol: We made it easier
Always go to the show

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Jonicont wrote:
RolanK wrote:Well, the question you have to answer when you register here makes it pretty tough to "become a member".
:lol: :lol: :lol: We made it easier
Wasn't it already EZ?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Coney

Post by Coney »

Hey guys—maybe if the FB folks knew they could get unique information on 3DD, some of them would spend time here
e.g., Patterson’s write up that was posted today or yesterday. One of you regulars on both platforms (and I know you are out there) should tell the FB DBT people what they are missing.
Beeesides, them's highway miles...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

FWIW, as our new friend Homer can attest, I make it a point to direct all newbies I meet at shows to here first (repeatedly if they don't follow through). That's sometimes difficult info to share in a loud ass crowd/smoking area/bar line or wherever, I might should print out some business cards or something.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Smitty wrote:FWIW, as our new friend Homer can attest, I make it a point to direct all newbies I meet at shows to here first (repeatedly if they don't follow through). That's sometimes difficult info to share in a loud ass crowd/smoking area/bar line or wherever, I might should print out some business cards or something.
Cards may be a great idea to up our game--- folks may see getting the card as kind of a special invitation. They'd find them in their pocket the day after the show and hopefully would then remember to come hit the site.
Let the outside air in

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

schlanky wrote:
Smitty wrote:FWIW, as our new friend Homer can attest, I make it a point to direct all newbies I meet at shows to here first (repeatedly if they don't follow through). That's sometimes difficult info to share in a loud ass crowd/smoking area/bar line or wherever, I might should print out some business cards or something.
Cards may be a great idea to up our game--- folks may see getting the card as kind of a special invitation. They'd find them in their pocket the day after the show and hopefully would then remember to come hit the site.
Are we supposed to give new fans the roofie before or after the business card???

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

schlanky wrote:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Beaverdam wrote:
Are we supposed to give new fans the roofie before or after the business card???
Give them the roofie first. After they pass out, slip one of the cards that WWCD posted into their pocket.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
schlanky wrote:
:lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote: Give them the roofie first. After they pass out, slip one of the cards that WWCD posted into their pocket.
8-)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Beaverdam wrote:
schlanky wrote:
Let them supply their own damn roofies! This ain't no fuckin' charity operation.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post-roofie running off the gauntlet

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Post-roofie running off the gauntlet
Post-Roofie Nodding Off the Gauntlet.

("The 3DD Community Categorically rejects any involuntary ingestion of mind-altering substances).
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

whatwouldcooleydo?

glennrwordman wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Post-roofie running off the gauntlet
Post-Roofie Nodding Off the Gauntlet.

("The 3DD Community Categorically rejects any involuntary ingestion of mind-altering substances).
Killjoy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I meant running of (not “off”) the gauntlet but not gonna edit original post

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Some of the facebook people need to stay over on facebook.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:Some of the facebook people need to stay over on facebook.
C'mon, you mean we don't need the "Big Star and The Replacements are irrelevant guy round these parts? ;)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
C'mon, you mean we don't need the "Big Star and The Replacements are irrelevant guy round these parts? ;)
That could be fun.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
There’s a DBT fan who says The Replacements are irrelevant? The mind reels. Facebook is a place of dark energy and I want no part of it.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Exactly. Such as the person who wrote there a few hours ago that Jason wrote all the best DBT songs.

:lol: :shock: :?
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Take a look at the new album and tour threads. No question that new material brings people out. I don't know if they lurk at other times or just don't show up unless there's something new but there are a bunch of old and new names in both threads.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:Take a look at the new album and tour threads. No question that new material brings people out. I don't know if they lurk at other times or just don't show up unless there's something new but there are a bunch of old and new names in both threads.
Warming up for the inevitable "Please send me a link to the leaked album" posts ;)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Take a look at the new album and tour threads. No question that new material brings people out. I don't know if they lurk at other times or just don't show up unless there's something new but there are a bunch of old and new names in both threads.
Warming up for the inevitable "Please send me a link to the leaked album" posts ;)
:lol: :lol: