We need to up our game

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: We need to up our game

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: What was he like in person? Better than online, I'm betting (and hoping!)
Didn't really talk to him. He was pointed out to me at HC in maybe 2010 or so, I introduced myself and that was the end of it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:[ Of course my opinion on this counts for even less than usual.
As if. :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

I got shit to say... Cali gets no Rawk Shows so... yall have fun fightin
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

This is a nice place :D
The masses prefer evil and public rejection :?
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

We also missed Cooley's berfday this weekend!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Rocky wrote:We also missed Cooley's berfday this weekend!
Nah, many just celebrated IRL
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Remember when we used to say how few women attended the shows?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Slipkid42 wrote:Remember when we used to say how few women attended the shows?
Sure do! The lines for the ladies bathroom were wonderful! Barely a line at all, while I saw lines of 20 over at the men's room.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Message boards are BY FAR the best platforms for intelligent discussion and review. I’m wondering how many people on FB actually know this site exists?

I’ll still come here regardless and post if I’m interested in a topic. With that said, I love checking out the set lists after the shows and I’ll always go to the place that has the best reputation for getting those up, first.

I think part of what does make Facebook nicer is that it’s easy to share video, photos, and audio. I wouldn’t even know where to begin if I wanted to upload an image here.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Message boards are BY FAR the best platforms for intelligent discussion and review. I’m wondering how many people on FB actually know this site exists?
I'm not an official member of the DBT group on FB, but I see some of it if/when 3DDers post. Many people think that this board is the smug, liberal minority of DBT fans, and they have no desire to mingle with us.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Message boards are BY FAR the best platforms for intelligent discussion and review. I’m wondering how many people on FB actually know this site exists?
I'm not an official member of the DBT group on FB, but I see some of it if/when 3DDers post. Many people think that this board is the smug, liberal minority of DBT fans, and they have no desire to mingle with us.
I’m not sure that’s true. Most of the right wingers are gone from the FB group. I just think that people who use FB frequently find it a nuisance to visit another site and some have actually told me that.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

FB folks can't handle the pedanticism. :lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bovine knievel wrote:FB folks can't handle the pedanticism. :lol:
I thought that was a feature, not a bug.
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I have no idea if this is true in the kind of numbers that might make it worth addressing, but I wonder whether the size of this place is its own problem. Multiple forums, huge number of threads, many threads going on for pages, many posters w/ thousands of posts (not that I know any of them). Would it make sense to provide a more detailed guide to 3dd w/ explanations of what's where and maybe some recommendations of some quick reading that would help make newbies comfortable? Again, I don't know if this is a problem and if it is whether this is a helpful solution, but I just figured i'd throw it out there for your consideration.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

“What the fuck is the problem with feet?”

Sincerely,
Rex Ryan and Quentin Tarantino
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Sincerely,

Well played, sir!
Now it's dark.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

:lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Sincerely,
Robert Christgau has started a fan-supported website for his writing. I'm told that you can get a steep discount by entering the code "TOEFUCKER"...

...and now I wonder if that's where Larry McMurtry got that weird as fuck scene in Texasville from.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I’m not sure that’s true. Most of the right wingers are gone from the FB group. I just think that people who use FB frequently find it a nuisance to visit another site and some have actually told me that.
It's a hard life, a hard life, a very hard life...

For me, the FB page is quick check-ins (well, ALL of FB is now relatively quick check-ins for me), while 3DD is a "put yer feet up and stay awhile". Also, THIS is the place that welcomed me as a stranger. It has a connection that the FB page can never have.

I will say that one of the things I find is that I am also MUCH more "careful" about posting here. It somehow seems more important to "get it right" when contributing, as opposed to being able, for me, to "toss off" a bon mot, or a jest, on FB. So that reduces my overall commenting to things I am truly compelled to contribute to, hoping my contribution is of some small value.

(And I think the overall ethos of both places has edged out the more hardcore RW'ers. I'm sure there are some, and that's of course, OK. They're not gonna like the next album, either!)
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

pearlbeer wrote:
Zip City wrote:It feels like this board has been in a slow-motion death spiral for years. I don't know what gets us out of it. Maybe inviting all the MAGA rednecks from Facebook and promising to "keep politics out of muh music!!!"???

Facebook sucks. I quit it a year or so ago and don't miss a minute.

While 3DD site traffic might be down, with what the community has been able to accomplish with things like "The Company We Keep" book, I'd argue we are fairly healthy.
with the exception of a couple music photography and general music groups, I really only use Facebook to keep in touch w/ friends, either nearby or in farflung reaches. i don't mind facebook but i can see how it's annoying and make people sick of it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

glennrwordman wrote:I will say that one of the things I find is that I am also MUCH more "careful" about posting here. It somehow seems more important to "get it right" when contributing, as opposed to being able, for me, to "toss off" a bon mot, or a jest, on FB.
I hear ya, but at the same time I also feel like the opposite is true, at least some of the time. I am much more comfortable posting negative comments about the band, a show, an album or an album by a DBT fan favorite artist than I am on FB (where I virtually never post anything even close to negative). I am much more comfortable posting "speculative" or not fully worked out ideas here than there. The same for more controversial ideas. There's more space here to try to get it right (let's hear it for verbosity!), there is more shared experience and more willingness to discuss issues (as opposed to simply stating one's views). Or put another way it's more comfortable to right about hard things in a place where everybody knows your name.
glennrwordman wrote:And I think the overall ethos of both places has edged out the more hardcore RW'ers. I'm sure there are some, and that's of course, OK.
I wish we had more conservative voices here. (BTW can we say conservative rather than right wing unless the latter is clearly applicable?). I know they're out there in DBT land and maybe even in 3dd lurker land. The only thing I'm glad is gone is the "the band never used to be political" or "just shut up and play rock n' roll" kind of comments which are just ridiculous. Otherwise, I think it's always a plus and a lot more interesting to have a greater diversity of views and in particular I think the idea of being a conservative DBT fan is inherently intriguing. I'd love to be able to explore that more. I understand that in the past conservatives have felt ganged up on and I get that; IMHO there was some good and respectful back and forth which was marred too often by piling on which made individually appropriate comments feel more like an angry mob-like atmosphere. But that seems fixable to me, so if you're out there, come on back and give it a try. Just to be clear, I think LJ was a unique case that was never going to work but I don't think he represents all conservatives.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I love to toss off a bon mot every once in a while (even though I never heard it called that before)

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

CooleyGirl wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Remember when we used to say how few women attended the shows?
Sure do! The lines for the ladies bathroom were wonderful! Barely a line at all, while I saw lines of 20 over at the men's room.
Hi CG. I remember standing in those 20 deep lines having to piss like Secretariat & the guy behind me (who had to piss like Seattle Slew) looking at each other & wistfully at the lineless ladies room & wondering what would be the harm. Hope that your Dad is on the mend.

My point was that even though there are many more women at the shows, there are very few new female posters here on 3DD. For whatever reason, 3DD seems like a boy's club.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

in general i'm pretty suspicious of social media. i post here when i've got something to say along with via chicago, iorr, the cure fan forum & echoing the sound. i have pretty diverse tastes. have met some great people & some kind of strange ones. i'm very cautious though. my life is complicated way more than enough. when the stones were in town i did get to have lunch with Bjornulff Vik, who runs its only rock n roll. very interesting guy. anywhere the stones are playing in the world he's there. met a guy on the cure site from england who has kind of turned out to be the cool little brother i never had. i've found that these sites are what you make of them. i don't do facebook, twitter or any of that. with big corporations running them, the distrust factor is high. there are too many factions like google, amazon & even ticketbastard monitoring my activities. also, i've found patterson is pretty accessable if you know where to look. this is outside of facebook etc.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote: Many people think that this board is the smug, liberal minority of DBT fans, and they have no desire to mingle with us.
I've never heard that before from anyone

beantownbubba wrote:I have no idea if this is true in the kind of numbers that might make it worth addressing, but I wonder whether the size of this place is its own problem. Multiple forums, huge number of threads, many threads going on for pages, many posters w/ thousands of posts (not that I know any of them). Would it make sense to provide a more detailed guide to 3dd w/ explanations of what's where and maybe some recommendations of some quick reading that would help make newbies comfortable? Again, I don't know if this is a problem and if it is whether this is a helpful solution, but I just figured i'd throw it out there for your consideration.
A detailed guide is unnecessary and would be a deterrent. It's not so hard to figure out how this place works, if anyone spends 5 minutes poking around they should be able to figure this place out. And I think the multiple forums, number of threads, and cast of characters (not to mention the excellent DBT content) etc is what makes this place so interesting and compelling, even if that can make it daunting for a newbie who wants to fully immerse him/herself here.

True, although a lot of the good ones from around 2000-2013 (or thereabouts) have lost a considerable amount of steam due to facebook, instagram and the like. A few good ones are still active and going strong, but not nearly as many as 10 years ago.

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:I think part of what does make Facebook nicer is that it’s easy to share video, photos, and audio. I wouldn’t even know where to begin if I wanted to upload an image here.
Yes it's much easier to share stuff on FB, though posting pics here is pretty easy as long as it comes from an online source as opposed to your phone.

chuckrh wrote:in general i'm pretty suspicious of social media. i post here when i've got something to say along with via chicago, iorr, the cure fan forum & echoing the sound. i have pretty diverse tastes. have met some great people & some kind of strange ones. i'm very cautious though. my life is complicated way more than enough. when the stones were in town i did get to have lunch with Bjornulff Vik, who runs its only rock n roll. very interesting guy. anywhere the stones are playing in the world he's there. met a guy on the cure site from england who has kind of turned out to be the cool little brother i never had. i've found that these sites are what you make of them. i don't do facebook, twitter or any of that. with big corporations running them, the distrust factor is high. there are too many factions like google, amazon & even ticketbastard monitoring my activities. also, i've found patterson is pretty accessable if you know where to look. this is outside of facebook etc.

Interesting that you don't like social media but yet are active on various message boards. Because I think message boards are definitely a form of social media.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:My point was that even though there are many more women at the shows, there are very few new female posters here on 3DD. For whatever reason, 3DD seems like a boy's club.
Yeah, I really miss the women who used to participate here, both for themselves and because more differences are better. I think that for a time women's participation here may even have been disproportionate (i.e. bigger percentage here than at the shows). Hard to say 'cause there were more men participating then, too, but anyway it's definitely been our loss to have suffered that attrition.
beantownbubba wrote:
I thought that was a feature, not a bug.
Damn, I thought that was a good one. Oh well. Maybe it's too short and not pedantic enough?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Clams wrote:Interesting that you don't like social media but yet are active on various message boards. Because I think message boards are definitely a form of social media.
Bulletin boards are social media; social media are anti-social media.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Well, the question you have to answer when you register here makes it pretty tough to "become a member".
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I used to be a member of close to ten message boards 10-15 years ago. I am currently a member of two, 3DD and the Steve Hoffman Forums (music & audiophile stuff). I think message boards are dying and the vast majority of people moved their fandom/hobbies to social media over the past decade.

I find myself coming here less and less, even though the threads are generally vastly superior. I've been checking in once a week or so for the past year and most times there might be one or two new posts over that time. On the FB group, even with all the silliness there is at least one solid thread every day. I check there first for show updates and setlists. The funny thing is I prefer 3DD...it's just seems like a ghost town lately.

One thing that 3DD has going for it is the yearly Homecoming thread. The FB group can't touch that!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:I used to be a member of close to ten message boards 10-15 years ago. I am currently a member of two, 3DD and the Steve Hoffman Forums (music & audiophile stuff). I think message boards are dying and the vast majority of people moved their fandom/hobbies to social media over the past decade.

I find myself coming here less and less, even though the threads are generally vastly superior. I've been checking in once a week or so for the past year and most times there might be one or two new posts over that time. On the FB group, even with all the silliness there is at least one solid thread every day. I check there first for show updates and setlists. The funny thing is I prefer 3DD...it's just seems like a ghost town lately.

One thing that 3DD has going for it is the yearly Homecoming thread. The FB group can't touch that!
There are more than one or two new threads in a week, the Other Bands forum is probably the most active, but your point is taken. Times have changed. Work places monitor websites that you go to much more closely than say ten years ago and FB is mobile friendly. I think we can bolster this site a little, but it's never going to be quite the same as it's heyday. .