Hood/Cooley Nov-Dec Solo Dates

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Hood/Cooley Nov-Dec Solo Dates

Post by beantownbubba »

Direwolfpdx wrote:Cooley: Old Church - Portland, OR

Neat little venue, literally a church with a big organ as the backdrop. 8:05 to about 9:40 with encore.

Eyes Like Glue
Self Destructive Zones
Ghost to Most
Cartoon Gold
Perfect Timing
Gravity's Gone
Shit Shots
Pulaski
English Oceans
Birthday Boy
Devil Don't Stay
Women Without Whiskey
Uncle Frank
Cottonseed
First Air of Autumn
Marry Me
Filthy and Fried
Surrender
Love Like This

*Ramon Casiano
Zip
Seems like a lot of songs for the amount of time (which is not a criticism). Was Cooley not in a talkative/bantering mood? Thanks for posting.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
chuckrh wrote:sadly, i have to miss cooley tonight in seattle due to health reasons. going would be a stupid move on my part. also, there is a nasty flu going around seattle & i'm succeptable to that. i got the vaccine but its kind of sounding like they guessed wrong again on it. trouble. i'll just have to save it for mike @ the dbt show in march. anybody who is going, have a great show!
:( :( Sucks to miss a show in your "backyard" but you've got your priorities straight. Hope you feel better soon my friend.
Thanks, Jeff. I'll console myself by rooting against the Cowboys. Always a worthwhile endeavor! :mrgreen:

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Pretty cool how the posters tie into each other.

All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
chuckrh wrote:sadly, i have to miss cooley tonight in seattle due to health reasons. going would be a stupid move on my part. also, there is a nasty flu going around seattle & i'm succeptable to that. i got the vaccine but its kind of sounding like they guessed wrong again on it. trouble. i'll just have to save it for mike @ the dbt show in march. anybody who is going, have a great show!
:( :( Sucks to miss a show in your "backyard" but you've got your priorities straight. Hope you feel better soon my friend.
x2 feel better brother
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
x2 feel better brother
thanks

Direwolfpdx

Post by Direwolfpdx »

beantownbubba wrote:
Seems like a lot of songs for the amount of time (which is not a criticism). Was Cooley not in a talkative/bantering mood? Thanks for posting.
My first Cooley solo show so can’t really say, but he did have some stories and banter. He seemed in a loose and good mood, mentioning he likes his solo tour holiday “vacation”. The songs themselves were straight and to the point (not a criticism either, they all sounded great).

Someone did whoop after “But your mama she’ll be calling” which got a nice sarcastic “yep”.

northwest trucker

Post by northwest trucker »

Ballard Homestead
Seattle, Wa
Dec. 5th

7:30 to 9:30 with a 10-15 min. break between sets

Birthday Boy
Filthy and Fried
Cartoon Gold
Eyes Like Glue
Gravity's Gone
Perfect Timing
Self Destructive Zones
Space City
Ghost to Most
English Oceans
Panties in your Purse
Marry Me

Women Without Whiskey
Uncle Frank
Carl Perkins
This Highway's Mean
Cottonseed
Primer Coat
Pulaski
Surrender Under Protest
Devil Don't Stay
Ramon Casiano
Banned Imagine

E. Shit Shot Counts
Zip City

a great show, really nice venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Highlights for me were Space City (so beautiful) and Cottonseed, the two I wanted to here for sure. Can't wait for Athens!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

northwest trucker wrote:Ballard Homestead
Seattle, Wa
Dec. 5th

7:30 to 9:30 with a 10-15 min. break between sets

Birthday Boy
Filthy and Fried
Cartoon Gold
Eyes Like Glue
Gravity's Gone
Perfect Timing
Self Destructive Zones
Space City
Ghost to Most
English Oceans
Panties in your Purse
Marry Me

Women Without Whiskey
Uncle Frank
Carl Perkins
This Highway's Mean
Cottonseed
Primer Coat
Pulaski
Surrender Under Protest
Devil Don't Stay
Ramon Casiano
Banned Imagine

E. Shit Shot Counts
Zip City

a great show, really nice venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Highlights for me were Space City (so beautiful) and Cottonseed, the two I wanted to here for sure. Can't wait for Athens!
Thanks for posting. Hell of a setlist. Pretty much “Love Like This” shy of a perfect Cooley show. Can’t wait for tonight (and tomorrow)!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cooley 12/6/19
Larimer Lounge Night One

10:19
Birthday Boy
Filthy
Ghost
Cartoon Gold
Primer Coat
Space City
Ramon
Perfect Timing
Gravity
Shit Shots
SDZ
Devil
Frank
Cottonseed
Carl
Pulaski
Surrender

E:
First Air
Zip
11:50ish

walthers

Post by walthers »

Good looking setlist, thanks for posting the start time. I’ll be there tonight, very excited for the show!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cooley 12/7/19
Larimer Lounge Night Two

10:15
Checkout Time
Gravity
Imagine
SDZ
Ghost
Cartoon
Ramon
Marry Me
Birthday Boy
Perfect Timing
Shit Shots
Carl
Uncle Frank
Cottonseed
Pulaski
Devil
Panties
Surrender
E: English Oceans
Zip
11:49

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Great weekend with Cooley in Denver. Friday's show seemed a little more lightly attended, but the people who were there were very respectful. Saturday's crowd had a few irritating characters (unfortunately clustered right around where I was standing near the "rail" stage left), but Cooley rolled with the punches. Loudly singing off-melody and having loud conversations 5 feet from the stage--that sort of thing.

Funny story: the venue gave Cooley a pretty dinky metal folding chair on Friday night that apparently pitched forward, which he remarked on early in the set. Last night, they tried to give him the same chair, but when he came out to get set up, he wasn't having it, so he dragged it away and brought out a big puffy chair from the green room. He hammed it up a little and got a round of applause from the repeat customers.

I managed to snag the "cheat sheet" last night, which Cooley was kind enough to sign for me. I could sort of see it from where I was standing, and he had shorthanded Birthday Boy "BDB," which looked like "BOB." I found that...surprising, so the truth made a lot more sense.

Looking forward to Patterson in a week or so, and then really counting the days until Homecoming.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

this might help

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9355
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Funny story: the venue gave Cooley a pretty dinky metal folding chair on Friday night that apparently pitched forward, which he remarked on early in the set. Last night, they tried to give him the same chair, but when he came out to get set up, he wasn't having it, so he dragged it away and brought out a big puffy chair from the green room. He hammed it up a little and got a round of applause from the repeat customers.
The aftermath:
Mundane Mayhem wrote: I managed to snag the "cheat sheet" last night, which Cooley was kind enough to sign for me. I could sort of see it from where I was standing, and he had shorthanded Birthday Boy "BDB," which looked like "BOB." I found that...surprising, so the truth made a lot more sense.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Good stuff MM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Good stuff MM
x2

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Cooley 12/7/19
Larimer Lounge Night Two

10:15
Checkout Time
Gravity
Imagine
SDZ
Ghost
Cartoon
Ramon
Marry Me
Birthday Boy
Perfect Timing
Shit Shots
Carl
Uncle Frank
Cottonseed
Pulaski
Devil
Panties
Surrender
E: English Oceans
Zip
11:49
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9359
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

I'll bet anyone here a beer we get a full band Cottonseed at HC
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:I'll bet anyone here a beer we get a full band Cottonseed at HC
I won't be at homecoming but I'll take that bet. You can pay up next time we see each other.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Cooley tonight!
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Cooley 12-13-19
Second show

Checkout
Perfect timing
Gravitys
Panties
Ghost
English oceans
Birthday boy
Cartoon gold
Frank
Carl caddy
Cottonseed
Filthy fried
WDDS
Ramon
Marry me
Ramon
Zip city
Imagine

The first show was basically same setlist just added marry me and zip city.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Swamp wrote:Cooley tonight!
When this show was announced one of my customers* asked me if I had ever been to the Blue Jay listening room. When I said no he explaned that it was kinda uppity, no noise and they will shush you if you order your drink too loud. Well, I said, this is a Mike Cooley show. Then Mrs looked up the ticket prices. Wow! These people do think they're special. She sat in the expensive seats and I sat in the cheap standing room only area next to the bar.** Luckily we got there early, I was the same distance from the stage as Mrs S only I was higher.
It started with Check out Time in Vegas and ended with Zip City. Cooley did not disapoint, the crowd did not disapoint. We even had the guy that calls out for Daddy's Cup and he didn't get the tap on the shoulder that Mrs S had read about in the rules. Really really great room and the staff was great too.

*this same customer, who has connections with local promoters,. was so excited to tell me DBT would be here in April but I knew :D
** :roll: no whisky, just fancy beers and whine
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Patterson, 12/14/19

4th night
Uncle Disney
George Jones
Sinkhole
21st century
Welcome to Club XIII
DD&N
Sands iWo Jima
Rosemary....
Righteous Path
Two daughters
Annette
HeAthens
Back of a Bible
Murdering Oscar
Pollyanna
Lookout Mountain
I Swear! It sounded like a TRAIN!
Grand Canyon
GG allin
Living Bubba
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Patterson Night One
Globe Hall
12/17/19

9:12
Walter
Armageddon
Fourth Night
George Jones
Heathens
Sinkhole
Thanksgiving Filter
21st Century USA
Pauline Hawkins
2 Daughters
Righteous Path
Rosemary
Uncle Disney
Grandaddy
Tales Facing Up
Thoughts and Prayers
“E:” Lookout Mountain
Tornadoes
Bubba
10:48

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Maybe it was just me but there was sort of a heavy vibe to the show last night. I thought the sound and room was a lot better last night then at the Larimer Lounge (where Cooley played last wkend) but it was sort of a selection of heavy songs, heavy stories, heavy thoughts about making the new album, etc. I realize PH has some darker material but it just seemed like a vibe in the air. Regardless, a great Tuesday night, Patterson played and sang great.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gaetzi wrote:Maybe it was just me but there was sort of a heavy vibe to the show last night. I thought the sound and room was a lot better last night then at the Larimer Lounge (where Cooley played last wkend) but it was sort of a selection of heavy songs, heavy stories, heavy thoughts about making the new album, etc. I realize PH has some darker material but it just seemed like a vibe in the air. Regardless, a great Tuesday night, Patterson played and sang great.
Thanks. I appreciate this kind of beyond the set list flavor.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Patterson 12/18/19
Globe Hall Night 2

9ish
Runaway Train
Fourth Night
Thanksgiving Filter
Heathens
DD&N
Why Henry Drinks
Club XIII
2 Daughters
Daddy Needs a Drink
Rosemary
Righteous Path
Deeper In
Uncle Disney
GG Allin
Old Timer’s Disease
Opening Act
Thoughts and Prayers
“E:” Ronnie and Neil
Hell No
Bubba
Angels and Fuselage (!!!)
10:42

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Patterson seemed to be in a better mood last night than he was on Tuesday. Perhaps an off day in Denver is better for the spirit than a travel day. He was laid back and chatty and clearly in a reflective mood as he counts down his last shows of the decade. Unfortunately, some of the crowd took his mood as an invitation to open up a two-way conversation. Oh well.

His approach to encores these days is interesting. He just stood up from his chair and sat right back down after ~10 seconds of cheering from the audience.

Seems notable that across the two nights, he played a grand total of ZERO American Band songs. Guess he's starting to make a bit of a break with that record after hitting it hard for the past few years. Patterson mentioned that he rarely plays Angels and Fuselage solo, so that was a pretty special experience.

I'd heard "Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun" a few times previously, but he played it both nights and I think it's a stunner. He said the recorded version sounds "a lot different, with piano and strings and shit" and that he can't wait for us to hear it.

I'm sad to be missing the Gothic shows next month, but Athens will more than make up for it.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:24 pm

I managed to snag the "cheat sheet" last night, which Cooley was kind enough to sign for me. I could sort of see it from where I was standing, and he had shorthanded Birthday Boy "BDB," which looked like "BOB." I found that...surprising, so the truth made a lot more sense.

I was Googling for something else when I came across this old 2013 Facebook post by Cooley. Seems like he's switched things up and doesn't laminate anymore, and perhaps the dots indicate songs he's prioritizing on a given night which would make this less reusable, and I saw someone snag night one's list and got a little bit of reptile brain jealousy heading into night two, but...to the broader point of "if it's on the stage, it belongs to me," I really can't argue with that and needless to say I feel like a real horse's patoot.

I would post this mea culpa on Facebook if I still had an account, and not that he'll ever see this, but: sorry, Cooley. Thanks for signing it for me anyway.
Cooley on FB wrote: OK
This is what is on the sheets in front of me when I am doing solo shows. It's NOT a set list!
It is nothing more than a tool that I use to help me through the the show. No different than any other piece of equipment I use. They are also a pain in the ass to replace if someone thinks they are entitled to a souvenir. It's not that printing and laminating something is that hard it's not. It's just that every day I have to check into two hotels, drive the distance between cities, eat sleep and play a show, and the last thing I need is another errand! But more importantly, if it is on the stage IT BELONGS TO ME!
So here it is. Print it if you want a copy. The numbers are the fret the capo goes on and the letters are the root chord or fingering. Mystery solved.
AND KEEP YOUR GODDAMED HANDS OFF MY SHIT!

PERFECT TIMING (5)A
GHOST TO MOST (2)D
GUITAR MAN UPSTAIRS
CHECKOUT TIME
EYES LIKE GLUE
CARTOON GOLD
GRAVITY (5)D
SPACE CITY
PULASKI
MARRY ME (3)E
GET DOWNTOWN
COKE AND ICE
BIRTHDAY BOY (4)C
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS
DEVIL DON'T STAY
SHUT UP
FIRST AIR OF AUTUMN
LOVE LIKE THIS
WEAKEST MAN
SELF DESTRUCT (2)G
SOUNDS BETTER
ENGLISH OCEANS
PIN HITS THE SHELL
PANTIES

FIRST AIR OF AUTUMN
LOVE LIKE THIS
WEAKEST MAN
SELF DESTRUCT (2)G
SOUNDS BETTER
ENGLISH OCEANS
PIN HITS
PANTIES
Primer Coat

3 DIMES
FRANK
ZIP CITY
72 (2) Pin Hits
CARL (5)
WOMEN WITHOUT WHISKEY
EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE (5)
COTTONSEED (minor)
LOADED GUN