Brooklyn Bowl Six Nights of Setlists June 2019

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Brooklyn Bowl Six Nights of Setlists June 2019

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:But the last hour of the DBT set, from Ramon Casiano on, was just amazing. Ramon and KKK were locked in, then the unbridled joy of LTBR and Marry Me, then the combo of Hell No and Rockin in the Free World which were both extra ferocious to close out the night. Just amazing, and so glad I was there to see it.
Every word is true but I do want to point out that this is one time I was more succinct than you :D :D (To save you the trouble of scrolling: "A+ Absolutely incendiary")
Whispering Pines wrote:I thought it might be fun for DBT to open with "Lookout Mountain," but Patterson had a better idea, "The Living Bubba," about the emotional, even spiritual need to put it al out in one more show.
I had the same thought re LM and the same reaction to TLB.
Whispering Pines wrote:(I hope that they didn't record these songs too quickly, and that the recorded versions reflect how artfully they've evolved.)
I had the same thought earlier this week after the kick ass versions of "Babies in Cages" in Hartford and Beverly. The concern is probably most relevant for that song because I'm pretty sure it's been played the most of the new ones and has evolved the most. But then I thought about "Goode's Field Road" and a couple of others that sounded great upon release yet continued (continues?) to evolve not just over months, but years, so I guess it's always a work in progress. And that's one more reason to ... Always Go to the Show! :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Bubba, Bubba, Bubba, "the little known JJ"?? I would say that in some circles Jerry Joseph is more well known than DBT, although probably not commercially.
Ok, but to a DBT crowd at a DBT show?
Well it's not like I took a survey or something, but (a) I think it's a fair point in a general way and (b) as for specifics, (i) I had 7 people with me, 4 of whom I'd characterize as being reasonably into music but none of whom are in the Truckerverse and not one had heard of JJ and (ii) to the extent crowd position can be taken as a proxy for level of fandom, both when JJ got introduced and after his performance, the reaction was notably more enthusiastic in the front than in the back which tells me that "super" DBT fans knew but more typical DBT fans didn't. Not an exact science by any means so take it for what it's worth.
LOL. Sorry, Zip, I misread your post completely. Never mind. :oops:

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Forgot it was Pride week too.

And I love hearing that the band played The Southern Thing in what I consider the archetypical Northern city.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I fuckin' love this!!!

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Rocky wrote:Forgot it was Pride week too.

And I love hearing that the band played The Southern Thing in what I consider the archetypical Northern city.
[Note: Subject to the significant limitations of my memory]

When the band played in Maine for the first time (in Portland) they opened w/ "The Southern Thing". At the time I called it something like a powerful statement of purpose. Because of its positioning in the middle of a set in the middle of a run of shows, that wasn't as obvious the other night but yeah, I think that's a special part of the song's magic in the archetypical northern city.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rocky wrote:I fuckin' love this!!!

Pretty fucking special. It’s one of the things I’ve seen in that last week of which I’m most envious. So grateful it was captured for our enjoyment
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Glad to see Self Destructive Zones back in the set!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro