Brooklyn Bowl Six Nights of Setlists June 2019

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

Re: Brooklyn Bowl Six Nights of Setlists June 2019

Post by uncle rickey »

The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Gravity’s Gone
After the Scene Dies
Self-Destructive Zones
Careless
Uncle Frank
Do It Yourself
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Awaiting Resurrection
First Air of Autumn
My Sweet Annette
Slow Ride Argument
Babies in Cages*
Ramon Casiano
Margo and Harold
When the Pin Hits the Shell
The Living Bubba
Three Dimes Down
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Lookout Mountain
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Marry Me
A World of Hurt

*with Linqua Franqa

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Funny you quote Senor: I listened to Changing of the Guards and Senor.... on endless repeat today. The rest of Street Legal didn’t get endless repeat. I am a bit obsessed with those two songs at the moment. Happily surprised that no neighbors with pitchforks appeared at my door
Those two and Where Are You Tonight? are great Dylan epics. I still can't believe it took me most of my life to love that record.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

We all were Careless once. Be careless!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

uncle rickey wrote:The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Gravity’s Gone
After the Scene Dies
Self-Destructive Zones
Careless
Uncle Frank
Do It Yourself
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Awaiting Resurrection
First Air of Autumn
My Sweet Annette
Slow Ride Argument
Babies in Cages*
Ramon Casiano
Margo and Harold
When the Pin Hits the Shell
The Living Bubba
Three Dimes Down
Lookout Mountain
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Marry Me
A World of Hurt

*with Linqua Franqa
OneBeltLoop posted this over on FB “ It was one of those shows that builds until you wonder at what point exactly you lost your mind.

Last night was one of those transcendental shows. First two songs were really good. Kicked it up a notch with Scene and SDZ. From Careless on, it was on that magical level that can happen. Can’t even begin to explain the Linqua freestyle during Babies in Cages but the Go DBT chant had the crowd mesmerized and in her control. World of Hurt was played in an alternate dimension.

NB— Harking back to the ancient Bubba “Buy In System” ( almost as old as Dewey Decimal), I’d put it at song #5
Always go to the show

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I’m happy for the folks in Brooklyn that get to be in the presence of such greatness. But can we please fast forward to Toronto! Getting to see DBT AND miss the parade? Priceless.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Pop quiz: What is the difference between "The Southern Thing" and a steamroller?

Answer below.

Answer: Nothing. Damn song rolled right over me, put me flat on my back like a pancake. And every time I re-inflated myself and started to get up off the floor, they did it again. Just monstrous from beginning to end. When Cooley started "Made Up English Oceans" I figured oh, that's the obligatory slow one for the night which was just crazy, but then Patterson played Rosemary w/ a Bible & a Gun and that proved to be the one and only "slow one" for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Insane.

Women Without Whiskey is w/out question a great song. But Cooley and/or the band have seemed to breathe new life into it lately and tonight was no exception. Great stuff.

I was in Athens when we all learned at some point on the Friday that Craig had died suddenly. I'm pretty sure that I was there when Patterson played Grand Canyon for the first time (other than at what IIRC was a memorial service for Craig). I have heard it played numerous times since. It is always emotional. It is sometimes powerful even beyond its inherent emotional content. Sometimes the band seems to emphasize the more experimental guitar aspects that reflect Craig's own inclinations. Tonight it was all of that and more. All of the players seemed to be "feeling Craig" in a way I've only experienced a few times before and the overall emotion, power and unique combination of sadness over loss and joy over times rememberedk washed over the crowd.

Patterson "blamed Clams" for playing The Tough Sell.

There is no way that whatever the heck Brad and Matt were doing behind Patterson during "Sands of Iwo Jima" should have worked . It was kind of soulful, almost funky, very electric and totally at odds w/ Patterson's vocals and lyrics, except somehow it worked wonderfully and raised the song to yet another level.

The crowd was disappointingly (to me) small but very knowledgeable and incredibly enthusiastic.

Possibly more tomorrow. But Patterson's already promised a real barn burner for tomorrow night so maybe i'll just sleep in :)

Always go to the show.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

semihardcheese

Post by semihardcheese »

Brooklyn Bowl #5
6/28/19

Filthy & Fried
Righteous Path
Ghost to Most
Used to be a Cop
Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags
Kinky Hypocrite
The Tough Sell
English Oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
Self Destructive Zones
Drag the Lake Charlie
Gravity’s Gone
The Southern Thing
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
Dead Drunk and Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Sands of Iwo Jima
Women Without Whiskey
18 Wheels of Love
Zip City
Grand Canyon

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Apropos Bubba’s post. With the level of devotion most folks who hang around here exhibit, it can sometimes be difficult to remain objective. I mean, they can’t all be “one of those shows”, can they? The answer is no. However the band put together a twofer the last two nights. Agree with Bubba, the Iwo Jima was particularly soul stirring and transported me away. The homage to Craig ( and it was an homage in every sense of the word) was, like the night before with World of Hurt, otherworldly. This Brooklyn Bowl residency really seems to have inspired everyone on stage. Can we get a threepeet? Well it does seem promising. We have AHC opening and the promised Jerry Joseph shenanigans mid DBT set. I wouldn’t bet against it
Always go to the show

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just one "new" song? Surprising
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

semihardcheese wrote:Brooklyn Bowl #5
6/28/19

Filthy & Fried
Righteous Path
Ghost to Most
Used to be a Cop
Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags
Kinky Hypocrite
The Tough Sell
English Oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
Self Destructive Zones
Drag the Lake Charlie
Gravity’s Gone
The Southern Thing
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
Dead Drunk and Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Sands of Iwo Jima
Women Without Whiskey
18 Wheels of Love
Zip City
Grand Canyon
After securing a carefully-chosen spot on the rail, once David Barbe's mask-bedecked band (Dave + New Madrid, in white boiler suits and animal masks: bear, fox, cat...etc. Very "Clockwork Orange") started, and I realized again that a spot at the front meant not hearing vocals at all, nor anything not coming directly at me, I made the decision to "abandon" the rail and move back to be directly in between the PA speakers, about 12 feet from the stage. That choice helped me come to the evening's main feeling for me: how sturdy, nay indestructible, the band's songs are.

I was able to hear everything clearly: a balance between the 2 or 3 guitars, where Matt adds in, or hangs back, Jay's enormous contributions to every song, whether playing guitar or keys, and mostly how Patterson and Cooley's voices have only grown stronger and more confident over time, mixing and intertwining, adding depth and nuance to songs that are 15-20 years old, and imbuing new songs with shades that might not have been possible years before. I'm thinking of "Filthy and Fried", the opener, and "Darkened Flags...", which has always been for me a "secondary" song, but something about Patterson's perfectly controlled and expressive vocal last night inched it up a notch. "Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun" features a really challenging vocal line that Patterson has managed with ease, never more so than in last night's gorgeous performance of the song.

Being able to hear everything cohere helped "make up" for losing the intimacy and visceral thing you get from being right up front, "with" the band.

I got my "A Ghost to Most" early, that song that retains its mysterious and unerring hold on my heart and soul, and which never fails to get me choked up. From there, it was a steady standard, with several leaps above: a sinuous and black-pitched "Used to Be a Cop", "The Tough Sell's" tale of woe, murder, and salesmanship running somehow effortlessly into "Made Up English Oceans'" tale of...woe, fanaticism, and salesmanship; a crushing "Gravity's Gone", and as Bubba mentioned, "The Southern Thing" taking things up a notch. This just perfectly embodied--you hardly needed the words--the "duality" PH writes about here: you could get it just from the vocal, so strong was the performance. From there, as always, a clutch of SRO songs took things to a different level, with several non-SRO highlights interspersed ("Sinkhole", "Uncle Frank", "Sands of Iwo Jima", "18 Wheels")...all of which were utterly top-notch last night. Cooley's vocal in "WWW" in particular was just spectacular, carrying the doubt, defiance, and despair of the song across with no possibility of missing the shades his lyric expresses. And I'd never heard "Sands..." in person. PH's vocal so far surpasses the studio version, and the song just wedged right into my gut.

The "Grand Canyon" finale Bubba covered far better than I could express: that heartbreak was palpable, and yet, as always, one walks out not weighed down by sadness, but lifted over by catharsis. A magnificent end to an emotional night.

Caveat Old Man Yells at Cloud: One thing I found I did have to deal with by not being on the rail: My God, the cell phones. I can live to 143, and will never, ever understand the compulsion to pull oneself out of the moment, to record a shaky, distorted version of what you're witnessing clearly right in front of you, all the while thrusting Apple's Greatest Invention in the sight line of half a dozen people behind you. I know some folks manage to snap a photo, or even record a video subtly, and with real consciousness of what's occurring around them, and with an eye toward capturing something requiring permanance (Lingua Franca's joining the guys for "Babies in Cages" Thursday springs to mind) but, boy they were not the folks standing dead center in front of the best live band in the world. [/end get off my lawn rant]. Testament to the band's power that after moving to stage left/audience right, even with a few phone pholks there, the evening still carried the power I spoke of above...

Can't wait for Night #6 (#4 for me). I expect barns to be burned, as promised. Don't bother calling the fire department...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

glennrwordman wrote:I realized again that a spot at the front meant not hearing vocals at all, nor anything not coming directly at me, I made the decision to "abandon" the rail and move back to be directly in between the PA speakers, about 12 feet from the stage. That choice helped me come to the evening's main feeling for me: how sturdy, nay indestructible, the band's songs are.
Yep, it's why I never aim for the rail at any concert I go to.

That, and I'm 6'4", so it's kind of a dick move to block the view of my shorter concert companions

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Zip City wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:I realized again that a spot at the front meant not hearing vocals at all, nor anything not coming directly at me, I made the decision to "abandon" the rail and move back to be directly in between the PA speakers, about 12 feet from the stage. That choice helped me come to the evening's main feeling for me: how sturdy, nay indestructible, the band's songs are.
Yep, it's why I never aim for the rail at any concert I go to.

That, and I'm 6'4", so it's kind of a dick move to block the view of my shorter concert companions
I'm 6'2", and...(sees self. Weeps for his rudeness). I DO slouch, I swear!

Of course, hilariously, once DBT hit the stage, the TWO TALLEST MEN IN THE WORLD slowly edged their way to dead center juuuuuuuust in front and to the right of me. It was like standing next to two skyscrapers...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Clams

Post by Clams »

Man what a fucking show. Perfect set list, perfect sound, perfect venue, perfect group of people to enjoy the night with. And the band was 100% engaged. Plus I saw a New York City rat in the subway tracks on the way back to Manhattan. One of the most fun nights I've had in a long long time. Can't wait for tonight.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

glennrwordman wrote:Patterson and Cooley's voices have only grown stronger and more confident over time, mixing and intertwining, adding depth and nuance to songs that are 15-20 years old, and imbuing new songs with shades that might not have been possible years before.
Yes. I keep forgetting to mention this.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I think the above pretty much captures things so just a couple more quick notes.

"72" following "Southern Thing" was a great segue.

"Righteous Path" seems to have settled into a spot somewhere between the 2nd & 4th songs and it really works there.

First "Drag the Lake Charlie" I've heard since it's re-emerged. Song holds up more than a little.

Re Glenn's comments on "Darkened Flags" - I agree and remember writing something similar about a recent performance of the song. A great example of how some songs just, well, come alive in the live setting.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:First "Drag the Lake Charlie" I've heard since it's re-emerged. Song holds up more than a little.
Indeed. I do wonder what seems to make the lyrics more challenging to recall than other songs. I think it might be the repetition of "drag the lake Charlie/Charlie drag the lake", setting up every verse, and I suppose--since it is just kinda re-emerging--that it's not wedged in PH's head. I did love how last Fri/Sat, Friday's version was a little...train-wrecky, remembering-lyrics-wise, but he took that as a "challenge" (self-administered!), and f**king nailed it Saturday night. It's fun, and has such great swagger.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

glennrwordman wrote:Patterson and Cooley's voices have only grown stronger and more confident over time, mixing and intertwining, adding depth and nuance to songs that are 15-20 years old, and imbuing new songs with shades that might not have been possible years before.
Of course, hilariously, once DBT hit the stage, the TWO TALLEST MEN IN THE WORLD slowly edged their way to dead center juuuuuuuust in front and to the right of me. It was like standing next to two skyscrapers...
Visually and professionally, they have become elder statesmen. Dressed in black, shoulder to shoulder, they are imposing and magnificent
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

glennrwordman wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:First "Drag the Lake Charlie" I've heard since it's re-emerged. Song holds up more than a little.
Indeed. I do wonder what seems to make the lyrics more challenging to recall than other songs. I think it might be the repetition of "drag the lake Charlie/Charlie drag the lake", setting up every verse, and I suppose--since it is just kinda re-emerging--that it's not wedged in PH's head. I did love how last Fri/Sat, Friday's version was a little...train-wrecky, remembering-lyrics-wise, but he took that as a "challenge" (self-administered!), and f**king nailed it Saturday night. It's fun, and has such great swagger.
Drag the Lake was a beast last night. So much more so than the Big To Do version.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A rock show in 3 parts:

The first part: A-, though my wife would give it a B
The middle part: Meh, though Clams would like his dissent noted as he thought Jerry Joseph was much better than I did. OTOH, if clams had ears, they'd be dolphins, or something like that
The last part: A+ Absolutely incendiary.

I suspect that my too heightened expectations may have played a part in the first 2 assessments, but it's hard to judge that kind of thing..

I get the Jerry Joseph interlude from the band's POV, all I can say is that it didn't work for me, though both songs seemed to have potentially interesting lyrics. What was really surprising and a bit of a headscratcher was following up the little known JJ playing 2 unknown songs by playing 2 new songs ("Slow Ride Argument" and "Babies in Cages") that are surely known to the diehards but could not have been that widely known to the larger audience.

Much of the last part of the set was an insane 4 guitar attack w/ David Barbe joining the others then jerry joseph joining for "Rockin' in the Free World" while Jay moved to keys. It was a throwback to the kinds of shows I remember being more common a few years ago when guitar jams/freakouts/loudness played a larger part in shows fairly regularly.

Speaking of the crowd, it was much larger tonight. Not quite sold out I don't think but pretty full. Oddly enough it seemed like a lot of people left fairly early (or perhaps moved to other parts of the venue, I can't say for sure but by the end the crowd size was close to last nite's. A very enthusiastic and appreciative audience for sure.

After 2 nights I have to say that I really noticed the absence of Uncle Rickey, Cooleygirl and Worldwide Bill. The place didn't look quite right or something, lol.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bubba, Bubba, Bubba, "the little known JJ"?? I would say that in some circles Jerry Joseph is more well known than DBT, although probably not commercially.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ThatSweetSoulMusic

Post by ThatSweetSoulMusic »

Bubba, I made the point afterward that John and I were a poor substitute for Luke and Sarah!
Love both of your reviews, and what a weekend.
Great see you at the house beforehand, it’s a fantastic group of folks

Dave

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Bubba, Bubba, Bubba, "the little known JJ"?? I would say that in some circles Jerry Joseph is more well known than DBT, although probably not commercially.
Well, ummm, yeah.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ThatSweetSoulMusic wrote:Bubba, I made the point afterward that John and I were a poor substitute for Luke and Sarah!
Love both of your reviews, and what a weekend.
Great see you at the house beforehand, it’s a fantastic group of folks

Dave
Thanks, and thanks for the hospitality. A special part of a special weekend. And that Who poster. Wow! :)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Bubba, Bubba, Bubba, "the little known JJ"?? I would say that in some circles Jerry Joseph is more well known than DBT, although probably not commercially.
Ok, but to a DBT crowd at a DBT show?

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:After 2 nights I have to say that I really noticed the absence of Uncle Rickey, Cooleygirl and Worldwide Bill. The place didn't look quite right or something, lol.
These were my first two shows without Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl also there. Quick Bright Thing suggested I wear a Thunder Shirt to help with my anxiety. (Being surrounded by all you good folks helped). :)

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

Night #6 Saturday June 29, 2019 Brooklyn Bowl NYC

Thanks to Scott Holcomb from the DBT FB Group for Night #6, and thanks to everyone who posted setlists and reviews over the past week:

Adams House Cat (opener for DBT):

Lookout Mountain
Town Burned Down
Runaway Train
Cemeteries
Six O'Clock Train
Buttholeville
Smiling at Girls
Child Abuse
Kiss My Baby
Love Really Sucks
A Long Time Ago

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drive By Truckers:

The Living Bubba
3 Dimes Down
Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
Surrender Under Protest
Puttin' People on the Moon
72 (this highway's mean)
Sandwiches For the Road
Gravity's Gone
The Company I Keep
Love Like This
San Acacia (with Jerry Joseph)
Sugar Smacks (with Jerry Joseph)
Slow Ride Argument
Babies in Cages
Ramon Casiano
Let There Be Rock (with David Barbe)
Marry Me (with David Barbe)
Hell No, I Ain't Happy (Sign O' the Times) (with David Barbe)
Rockin' in the Free World (with David Barbe and Jerry Joseph)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Ok, but to a DBT crowd at a DBT show?
Well it's not like I took a survey or something, but (a) I think it's a fair point in a general way and (b) as for specifics, (i) I had 7 people with me, 4 of whom I'd characterize as being reasonably into music but none of whom are in the Truckerverse and not one had heard of JJ and (ii) to the extent crowd position can be taken as a proxy for level of fandom, both when JJ got introduced and after his performance, the reaction was notably more enthusiastic in the front than in the back which tells me that "super" DBT fans knew but more typical DBT fans didn't. Not an exact science by any means so take it for what it's worth.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Caught the Friday and Saturday shows, and while Friday was perfectly fine, Saturday night was a truly memorable rock show blowout. The table was set by the opening set by Adam's House Cat, with the roots of DBT displayed on the opening number, "Lookout Mountain." The quartet sounded tight and punchy, with David Barbe banging out the bass, and Chuck Tremblay likely getting the thrill of a lifetime getting behind the drum seat with his old band. Kudos to Patterson for doing justice to a 30-year-old repertoire (and remembering the words!) and Cooley for playing the more typical lead guitarist role. I also loved the fact that they wore T-shirts for AHC and "dressed up" for DBT. Patterson spoke volumes by saying that as young rockers, they fully expected to be the stars of their dreams but ended up with a different sort of musical career, not one of riches, perhaps, but of a life richly led.

I thought it might be fun for DBT to open with "Lookout Mountain," but Patterson had a better idea, "The Living Bubba," about the emotional, even spiritual need to put it al out in one more show. And that's what they did, firing on all cylinders after literally opening for themselves. Personal highlights include a powerful "Ronnie and Neil" and the segue from the velvet hammer of "Surrender Under Protest" to the scrappier landscape of "Putting People on the Moon." I too was underwhelmed by Jerry Joseph, though it wasn't the horror I expected when he came on stage with a handful of lyric sheets that kept falling to the floor. DBT delivered the sound, but to my ears, Joseph lacked the charisma to ride the beast. But while these two songs would have naturally conspired to break the band's momentum, the Truckers came back with stunning performances of two new songs, "Slow Ride Argument," with the three voices in the chorus now ringing out with authority, and a devastating take on "Babies in Cages," with its howling instrumental belly that suggested the emotional drift of a Patti Smith performance with a much more powerful band. (I hope that they didn't record these songs too quickly, and that the recorded versions reflect how artfully they've evolved.)

Then it was 'Cooly bar the door' with "Ramon Casiano" leading a closing sequence of brutally joyous rock noise that gave poignant meaning to the natural benediction for this six night run, "Let There Be Rock." Shows like this remind me of what thrilled me as a kid in the late-'60s at the Fillmore East, and what led to a now all-but-dead career choice as a rock critic. And it was at a show like this around 15 years ago at Irving Plaza that I saw my past (and a sweet part of my future) at my first DBT show when the kids in front of me traded high fives when Patterson, Cooley, and Jason stepped forward with their three-guitar salute. There were two more guitars blasting when the evening closed with Neil's "Rockin' in the Free World." but they were all playing the same tune: long live rock!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Couple of pics from the weekend
(as always sorry about the large size)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Apparently I am in the minority on Jerry Joseph's set last night. I know next to nothing about the guy and his music and yes his set broke up the Truckers considerable momentum at that point, but I thought his couple of songs were tremendous. They were new songs so obviously I didn't know them or what he was singing about, but he sang with authority and the Truckers were 100% locked into a hard rocking bluesy groove on both songs. And I was digging his older guy/tank top/barefoot look. If DBT is backing Joseph on his entire new record, then I can't wait to hear it.

As for the rest of the weekend, well, it was fucking fantastic. Friday's show was my favorite, it was just a free flowing DBT set - one great song after another and they went right up til 12:00 on the nose. I thought Saturday was a little disjointed with the AHC opener, then DBT, then Jerry Joseph, then more DBT. But the last hour of the DBT set, from Ramon Casiano on, was just amazing. Ramon and KKK were locked in, then the unbridled joy of LTBR and Marry Me, then the combo of Hell No and Rockin in the Free World which were both extra ferocious to close out the night. Just amazing, and so glad I was there to see it.

The Brooklyn Bowl is such an amazing venue. And Williamsburg is such a fun neighborhood - especially when you throw in the insane Pride Week crowd (some of those outfits... man oh man :shock:).

And the Heathen crowd (despite a few conspicuous absences) - you guys are the fucking BEST. I love you all and cannot wait til we all get to do it again.