Question for folks who have already seen Dimmer Twins...

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beebs

Question for folks who have already seen Dimmer Twins...

Post by Beebs »

I'll be seeing our boys this Friday in Albany and now have extra tickets due to friends that had to cancel.

While we all know DBT song matter is usually very adult stuff, how's the stage banter been?

Have these shows been more of "a special acoustic evening..." or lots of talk of goat sodomy and grudge fucking?

I'd like to bring my boys (or at least the older one - pushing 10). Could this be an appropriate show for them? Or no way Jose?

PS: Don't know what kind of venues are booked for most of this tour but this venue is a classy little theater with geriatric, volunteer ushers and such. Not a barroom or club, if that makes a difference to anyone.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Question for folks who have already seen Dimmer Twins...

Post by Jonicont »

You know how it is. F-bombs in the normal course of conversation “I love this fuckin town” and an Mfer or two “love you motherfuckers”. Nothing any of us would take notice of. And of course, there’s never a guarantee that Cooley won’t go off on a rant but he’s been pretty laid back and Jolly. Having a ball
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Jonicont wrote:You know how it is. F-bombs in the normal course of conversation “I love this fuckin town” and an Mfer or two “love you motherfuckers”. Nothing any of us would take notice of. And of course, there’s never a guarantee that Cooley won’t go off on a rant but he’s been pretty laid back and Jolly. Having a ball
Definitely jolly and having a ball! But if the topic of Auburn, Alabama comes up toward the end of the evening, you might get a variation on "shit" or "fuck" approximately every fifteen seconds. And then there's the issue of Cooley's apartment. But I'd take the chance if I were you, as there was no goat sodomy whatsoever.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Based on what I've seen and what I've heard about other shows, it's a total toss-up. The flip side of no set lists and spontaneity is that you never know what you're gonna get. I could easily see 1 or both of the twins deciding that the venue is way too stuffy and go off in one "inappropriate" direction or another. Or they might just go w/ the occasional sprinkling of naughty words. Or who knows what they might find worth talking about in the Mueller report or what's not in the Mueller report, which will only be a day old by friday. If you REALLY care I wouldn't chance it. If you sorta care or just think you're supposed to care, the odds are decent.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

BTW, TEN?!!!! How the fuck can that little fucker be TEN?? Damn, I literally remember the day that he was born. Wow. :D :D :D

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:BTW, TEN?!!!! How the fuck can that little fucker be TEN?? Damn, I literally remember the day that he was born. Wow. :D :D :D
^^^^ Seriously

Fyi tonight's show was PG-13. Nothing more than a couple of cuss words. (Though I think near the end Cooley was about to lay into a dude who kept yelling for Daddys Cup but he got cut off by Patterson and then he dropped it).
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I suspect the Grey Eagle shows were rather a bit looser and...less constrained. Small not-at-all-high-falutin' venue, and about 3/4 of the crowd was hardcore fans from out of town. I don't remember seeing anyone visibly underage - certainly not pre-teen.

I have certainly seen Patterson sorta catch himself and reel it in when he sees young kids in the crowd. Cooley - not so much.

(That said... kid is 10? Anything he'd hear he's already saying when you're not around, and anything sexual will probably go over his head anyway).

AGTTS.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Our granddaughter turned 7 on the 5th. If things had worked out we had planned on taking her to the Savanah show, after all when her dad was 7 we took him to see Tom Petty. The Replacements were the opening act and we had no clue.
Last saturday I was turning her on to some old music videos when I suggested a old cat related song. It was recorded before the album Cat Scatch Fever came out. As soon as Ted said "we're gonna have us a mother fucker tonight" Betsy looks at me and says "I better not watch this papa"
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tyler wrote:I suspect the Grey Eagle shows were rather a bit looser and...less constrained. Small not-at-all-high-falutin' venue, and about 3/4 of the crowd was hardcore fans from out of town.
Seriously, I think Tyler is right about that. Before playing Nine Bullets, Patterson talked about how they don't really play this song much anymore thanks to Columbine--whereupon Cooley says "Actual shitty people fuck up perfectly good stories"--and then says, "We're all among friends here. You get it." I'd chance it if you were me and your kids were my kid.

But you are you and your kids are your kids--and my kid heard me say "fuck fuck fuck" on Father's Day at the tender age of ten at the Hood/Cooley/Isbell show--so take me with a shaker of salt.

(I'm still impressed with how abso-fucking-lutely wonderful Gordon's stream sounded for those two shows! I had almost as much fun listening to those shows at home as I would've had being there, if I didn't know people and seeing my friends wasn't part of the deal. Plus I was able to dance around to Grand Canyon in my living room. Come next January, I think my inner redneck and my inner Deadhead are having a baby. They'll call him Nate, if he's a girl.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

beantownbubba wrote:BTW, TEN?!!!! How the fuck can that little fucker be TEN?? Damn, I literally remember the day that he was born. Wow. :D :D :D
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This thought occurs to me frequently. Because of the nature of our friendships we don't see these kids grow up like you would traditionally at birthday parties, various events, etc., except those rare instances when we do. I absolutely remember Beebs' oldest being born, I remember that boy reminding us so wisely at the tender age of 3 to be happy at our wedding, not sad about Craig, I remember Joelle's daughter's junior high and high school accomplishments and now she's an adult Harvard grad who ran the Boston Marathon in impressive time. Clams' son will always be the kid with the lizards and the guitar but now I'm sure the lizards are deep in his memories and Gary's kid is playing that guitar. I don't have kids but let me say this, y'all are doing it right. Beebs, I hope you go and your son digs it. He might be called a good lookin' motherfucker at some point, but he'll be OK. You'll see to it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I'm not exactly a model parent so you probably shouldn't take my advice but I started taking my kids to DBT shows when they were 11 and 13. They're now 16 and 18 and have turned out just fine. If I were you I'd take your kid. Other than an F bomb or two...or five (which I suspect he's heard on the playground a time or two) the Dimmer Twins shows are fun and pretty laid back. At least they were in Asheville. Took my daughter to those and she had a good time. Hell I took her to Homecoming, lost her after the show Saturday, and Clams was watching over her. Like I said...not exactly a model parent :lol:
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Awww Man. Now I got the 9b/3dd warm fuzzies.

I don't make it to shows or hang around here like the old days. But you all are still my tribe.

So one of the cancelled friends is able to make it after all. That leaves one extra that may very well go to the big bro (AKA BabyBeebs). He's more like 9.5 to be accurate. His little brother will be 6 in a week and his sister is 14 months! (she's currently at my knee, paging through a Stihl chainsaw catalog and listening to Sabbath - Vol IV.)

While the little bro would use the experience as clearance to add some more R rated words to his monologues on farts and poop, big bro can handle it no prob. My only apprehension really is that the presence of a kid will cause anyone else there, performers or attendees, to feel uncomfortable or that they have to behave a certain way.
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wait! WTF! What the heck is the deal w/ stealth baby beebette?? Way to slip that one in, Beebs. So to speak.

Yeah TC. The heAthens amateur division is very impressive. Which is one reason I think a junior oriented event at homecoming is a good idea.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Clams' son will always be the kid with the lizards and the guitar but now I'm sure the lizards are deep in his memories and Gary's kid is playing that guitar.
Yeah the Leo the gecko is long gone (though each year in June I still get birthday wishes from the gecko forum!). And as for that red guitar, you have no idea how happy it makes me to see GW's kid playing it 10 years later.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Beebs wrote:Awww Man. Now I got the 9b/3dd warm fuzzies.

I don't make it to shows or hang around here like the old days. But you all are still my tribe.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave
Always go to the show

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:Wait! WTF! What the heck is the deal w/ stealth baby beebette?? Way to slip that one in, Beebs. So to speak.

Yeah TC. The heAthens amateur division is very impressive. Which is one reason I think a junior oriented event at homecoming is a good idea.
I'll bring cookies...
Now it's dark.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Beebs wrote: his sister is 14 months! (she's currently at my knee, paging through a Stihl chainsaw catalog and listening to Sabbath - Vol IV.)
Thanks for the chuckle this morning!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

hangthadj

Post by hangthadj »

I just have a follow up question.

Have they been traveling with a decent selection of merchandise? Any of the older records on vinyl?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

hangthadj wrote:I just have a follow up question.

Have they been traveling with a decent selection of merchandise? Any of the older records on vinyl?
Dimmer Twins t shirt and poster. Adams house cat cd
Always go to the show

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Jonicont wrote:
hangthadj wrote:I just have a follow up question.

Dimmer Twins t shirt and poster. Adams house cat cd
I think they had the American Band CD in Asheville too

Flea

Post by Flea »

brett27295 wrote:I'm not exactly a model parent so you probably shouldn't take my advice but I started taking my kids to DBT shows when they were 11 and 13. They're now 16 and 18 and have turned out just fine. If I were you I'd take your kid. Other than an F bomb or two...or five (which I suspect he's heard on the playground a time or two) the Dimmer Twins shows are fun and pretty laid back. At least they were in Asheville. Took my daughter to those and she had a good time. Hell I took her to Homecoming, lost her after the show Saturday, and Clams was watching over her. Like I said...not exactly a model parent :lol:
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

people with kids & dogs always want to share their problems

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

chuckrh wrote:people with kids & dogs always want to share their problems
It's never the dog's fault.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Let’s not blame the kids, the dogs, or the drugs. Bad for the cause. Which I’m sure is gonna take soon.