North of the Border

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: North of the Border

Post by bovine knievel »

Holy shit, what a set list!

Caught Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love back on the Rock n Roll Means Well tour. They tore that song up. 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote: ... reach a peak, plateau, peak again, plateau, etc, about 3 or 4 times, as opposed to the more linear format...which sort of start slowly and gradually build to a peak by the end.
Thanks for the analysis, Dr. Ruth.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

MusicJunkie

Post by MusicJunkie »

Great shows but what's the chances Cooley will play

Daddy's cup
Lisa's birthday
Carl Perkins

Love these songs but have a feeling he'll repeat a handful of songs like last night

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

MusicJunkie wrote:Great shows but what's the chances Cooley will play

Daddy's cup
Lisa's birthday
Carl Perkins

Love these songs but have a feeling he'll repeat a handful of songs like last night
There's about a 0% chance he plays Daddy's Cup
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Daddy's cup
Lisa's birthday
Carl Perkins
Just for yucks:

Daddy: 0
Lisa: 20%
Carl: 50%
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: ... reach a peak, plateau, peak again, plateau, etc, about 3 or 4 times, as opposed to the more linear format...which sort of start slowly and gradually build to a peak by the end.
Thanks for the analysis, Dr. Ruth.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but never when it comes to you perverts.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Zero percent chance they come back out for an encore......oh wait

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So, speaking of songs played, etc, I was told that Patterson repeated exactly zero songs from night 1 to night 2 while Cooley repeated only 4. Both of these numbers are amazing. It was not that long ago that Cooley barely substituted any songs from night to night and zero??!! That's just crazy, especially when you consider how many songs have been played in total. A less obvious but really cool benefit of being a DBT fan.

I don't think many would argue w/ the statement that "Ronnie & Neil" is a great song. It's always a treat whenever the band plays it. So why does it sound so much better when it's paired w/ "Days of Graduation?" Is it a psychological thing because that's the way we hear it on the album that most of us have listened to more than a few times? Or is it something about the songs themselves? Beats me but I sure ain't complaining.

Last nite Patterson did a sort of Sinatra thing w/ "Drag the Lake": He didn't sound anything like Frank, let's be clear about that. But he was stretching syllables, playing w/ the beat, just having a fine time experimenting w/ his delivery and it sounded great.

All the covers were crowd favorites and fire igniters last nite. I'm not a Kiss fan, but I may have to reconsider after last nite's "Aint Talkin' 'bout Love." Or maybe i can just enjoy the hell out of DBT's version. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Matt and the band 'bout tore the roof off on "KKK" and I already talked about "Rockin in the Free World".

I'm pretty sure that everything's been said about the show ending "Shut Up/Angels" double play. All of it's true. A manic, intense "Shut Up" followed by an equally intense and emotional "Angels." Took my breath away and the audience was, let's just say, appreciative :) .

I couldn't believe it when after the show I realized there was no "Ramon," no "Zip City", no "Let There Be Rock," etc. The DBT catalog is deep and wide. And freakin' awesome.

Can't wait to do it again tonite!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:Zero percent chance they come back out for an encore......oh wait
:lol: :lol: True.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

boyyourself wrote:Zero percent chance they come back out for an encore......oh wait
What an incredible moment! A genuine shock. First time I’ve seen an encore since the English Oceans Tour.

I thought the show was over so I went up front to visit with the Heathens up there. Then comes the “DBT, DBT, DBT!” chant and before I knew it, I was front and center with the band rocking out again!

Two spectacular shows. Tonight just may be VERY interesting.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:I'm not a Kiss fan, but I may have to reconsider after last nite's "Aint Talkin' 'bout Love."
Van Halen will be thrilled to hear it

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Daddy's cup
Lisa's birthday
Carl Perkins

I don’t see any of those happening. Carl *should* have the highest chance because he played it with The Dimmer Twins but even that seems unlikely with the band, sadly.

Honestly, with how much PH mixes it up, I’ll be very satisfied with a Love Like This and a repeat of Self Destructive Zones as far as MC goes.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I'm not a Kiss fan, but I may have to reconsider after last nite's "Aint Talkin' 'bout Love."
Oh well, Bubba, at least you didn't say, "That Matt song is so Ramonesy," like I did. I'm particularly embarrassed because I'm a Ramones fan, having seen them several times and I've actually hung out with them on a couple of occasions, when my ex's band opened for them during a couple of shows in Montreal back in the day.

My opinion on it is as follows.

Not knowing about Van Halen: Not embarrassing.
Not knowing about Kiss: A bit embarrassing.
Not knowing about The Ramones: Super embarrassing.

Coincidentally, while listening to the radio on the seemingly endless drive back to Toronto from the ancestral home land, I heard Aint Talkin 'Bout Love on the radio and thought to myself that DBTs version is so much better than the original. (I also listened to a bit of Sean Hannity on that drive for the first time. That's satire, right?)

Last night's show was really good. I will be there tonight and I wouldn't be upset to see and hear more of the same.

Just calling it as I see it.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Zip City wrote:
Who knew?
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PonyGirl wrote:

Thank you for your kindness, ponygirl. It is most appreciated. But the fact is that I've become resigned to making the periodic embarrassing gaff. In this case, it's very similar to the way that for the longest time, I kept referring to One of These Days as one of Cooley's country songs, despite knowing otherwise. Sometimes I just get something in my head, like, say, that "Aint Talkin bout Love is a Kiss song, and it just stays there, facts and reality be damned. :oops: But again, thanks.

As for Matt & the Ramones, if one makes a slip but nobody repeats it, did it even really happen? ;) ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

PonyGirl wrote:Coincidentally, while listening to the radio on the seemingly endless drive back to Toronto from the ancestral home land, I heard Aint Talkin 'Bout Love on the radio and thought to myself that DBTs version is so much better than the original.
I love hearing DBT cover Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, might be one of my favorites actually outside of the few that I think they've made their own like Play it All Night Long or People Who Died, for instance, but better than the mighty Van Halen's original? As my mother would say, I don't know about that.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:Coincidentally, while listening to the radio on the seemingly endless drive back to Toronto from the ancestral home land, I heard Aint Talkin 'Bout Love on the radio and thought to myself that DBTs version is so much better than the original.
I love hearing DBT cover Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, might be one of my favorites actually outside of the few that I think they've made their own like Play it All Night Long or People Who Died, for instance, but better than the mighty Van Halen's original? As my mother would say, I don't know about that.
100% with TC on this (as I am with him on a handful of other things)

I do like DBT's cover of Van Halen's Strutter
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Haha, well you def know more about Van Halen than I do and your Mom probably does too, so who am I to argue?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
I see what you did there.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

PonyGirl wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Haha, well you def know more about Van Halen than I do and your Mom probably does too, so who am I to argue?
Lordy, I hope my mom isn't into Van Halen. That would be weird. Until she realized that this whole crazy DBT thing was one big family she used to rail at me for listening to their music declaring it "depressing" and "not healthy".

Seriously though Van Halen was a huge band for me in my youth. Saw them open for Black Sabbath in 1978 not knowing a song and came away thinking they were way better than Sabbath. I grew out of them some, Sammy Hagar didn't help, but I've recently rediscovered how great those first few records were. Again though I always enjoy DBT's version.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
I see what you did there.
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love Gun :lol: :lol: :lol:

or, if you prefer,

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dr. Love
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

beantownbubba wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:

Thank you for your kindness, ponygirl. It is most appreciated. But the fact is that I've become resigned to making the periodic embarrassing gaff. In this case, it's very similar to the way that for the longest time, I kept referring to One of These Days as one of Cooley's country songs, despite knowing otherwise. Sometimes I just get something in my head, like, say, that "Aint Talkin bout Love is a Kiss song, and it just stays there, facts and reality be damned. :oops: But again, thanks.

As for Matt & the Ramones, if one makes a slip but nobody repeats it, did it even really happen? ;) ;)
The key to being a a scathing bitch (I've got the skills, it would be a shame to waste them.) and still having a lot of friends, is to own it and be gracious about it when you are a moron. In fact, I've had a lot of good laughs at my own epic stupidity.

Also, One of These Days isn't a country song? Possibly. It's very hard to know what an actual country song is these days.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

The Living Bubba
Self-Destructive Zones
Why Henry Drinks
Love Like This
The Night GG Allin Came to Town
One of These Days
Puttin’ People on the Moon
A Ghost to Most
Heathens
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Lookout Mountain
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Mercy Buckets
Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
The KKK Took My Baby Away
The Company I Keep
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Gravity’s Gone
A World of Hurt
Shit Shots Count*
The Tough Sell
Marry Me
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy—>
Sign O’ the Times—>
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
People Who Died

*dedicated to Jon Dee Graham

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

uncle rickey wrote:The Living Bubba
Self-Destructive Zones
Why Henry Drinks
Love Like This
The Night GG Allin Came to Town
One of These Days
Puttin’ People on the Moon
A Ghost to Most
Heathens
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Lookout Mountain
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Mercy Buckets
Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
The KKK Took My Baby Away
The Company I Keep
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Gravity’s Gone
A World of Hurt
Shit Shots Count*
The Tough Sell
Marry Me
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy—>
Sign O’ the Times—>
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
People Who Died

*dedicated to Jon Dee Graham
"Heathens" dedicated to all the heAthens who keep showing up including worldwide bill, luke & sarah and big tom.
"Lookout Mountain" dedicated to Jeff & Beth Schneider

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I was there. I saw that. I heard that. So it is with a great deal of confidence that I can say yes, that happened.

Just a couple of comments and I'm done for the night.

"Love Like This" was absolutely exquisite. Slooowed way down, w Cooley in top vocal form.

"Mercy Buckets." Yay. :)

Definitely sold out tonight, maybe even a few extra.

And that, children is the end of a fabulous, presumably soon to be legendary, run. I'm glad I got to see a few of the shows but damn, the let down is seeping in already. See you folks at the rock show, wherever and whenever that turns out to be.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

MusicJunkie

Post by MusicJunkie »

Awesome show but safe to say Cooley is a sissy.
Last edited by MusicJunkie on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

MusicJunkie wrote:Awesome show but safe to say Cooley is. PUSSY.
No doubt, but I still need some video.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That’s the greatest hits setlist. Not a single new song.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:That’s the greatest hits setlist. Not a single new song.
They've played plenty of those throughout this summer run. The last night is to blow it all out with their strongest, mode road tested material. That set resembles what they've done for Saturday night Homecoming shows and I don't recall many complaints.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:That’s the greatest hits setlist. Not a single new song.

That's one way to look at it, though it strikes me as a bit odd. Leaving aside that the "technical" point that they played several songs from what is still the "current album",

Played:
GG Allin
The Company I Keep
The Tough Sell
Why Henry Drinks
PPOM (rarely played recently)
When the Pin Hits the Shell (rare until this week lol)
Mercy Buckets

Not played:
Ronnie & Neil
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Goode's Field Road
Women W/out Whiskey
Play It All Night Long (one of any number of crowd favorite covers)
Something's Gotta Give
Kinky Hypocrite
Filthy and Fried
My Sweet Annette
[insert about as many personal favorites as there were fans in attendance]