How has Homecoming changed through the years?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ledward2

How has Homecoming changed through the years?

Post by ledward2 »

Or maybe it hasn't changed all that much. I don't know. You tell me. Please and thank you.
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

pearlbeer

Re: How has Homecoming changed through the years?

Post by pearlbeer »

Did you get the book? Get the book.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

There's a ton about it in the book, but here's a take. It's always been a party, no question, and it still is but after Craig passed in 2013 it started to take on more weight. It became a family reunion. Now it had been heading that way, and Craig's Wednesday night Flicker party had really started that ball rolling, but it was a change. People started getting to town earlier, large gatherings for meals were not uncommon and when the shows started it felt like we were all in a great big living room with beer, and tequila and whiskey. Oh and loud Rock & Roll. The other thing was the element of service that the Nuci's Space fundraiser brought. So now it was a family reunion, a time to give back and a time to Rock. Oh and the band got better and more of a family themselves than maybe they had been in some of the more turbulent times, but that's not my story to tell. It did add to the positive energy though.. I know this isn't a very cohesive answer, if you read the book you'll get a better sense of it, but there was a change and it keeps changing. Where once most of stayed at a couple of hotels, now people stay at those and many of us get small groups together and stay at AirBnBs. Where once one of the Athens HeAthens would throw a party at his house, now that party is the 3DD Hangout. It's the best family reunion in the world, one where the crazy aunts uncles are not just welcome, they're encouraged.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

It’s a hell of a lot more crowded on Thursday night, that’s for sure.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There's a ton about it in the book, but here's a take. It's always been a party, no question, and it still is but after Craig passed in 2013 it started to take on more weight. It became a family reunion. Now it had been heading that way, and Craig's Wednesday night Flicker party had really started that ball rolling, but it was a change. People started getting to town earlier, large gatherings for meals were not uncommon and when the shows started it felt like we were all in a great big living room with beer, and tequila and whiskey. Oh and loud Rock & Roll. The other thing was the element of service that the Nuci's Space fundraiser brought. So now it was a family reunion, a time to give back and a time to Rock. Oh and the band got better and more of a family themselves than maybe they had been in some of the more turbulent times, but that's not my story to tell. It did add to the positive energy though.. I know this isn't a very cohesive answer, if you read the book you'll get a better sense of it, but there was a change and it keeps changing. Where once most of stayed at a couple of hotels, now people stay at those and many of us get small groups together and stay at AirBnBs. Where once one of the Athens HeAthens would throw a party at his house, now that party is the 3DD Hangout. It's the best family reunion in the world, one where the crazy aunts uncles are not just welcome, they're encouraged.
This. I started going for the music, now I go for the people. And the music.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

LBRod wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I started going for the music, now I go for the people. And the music.
yup

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

on that same note more actual fans are going now. Used to be LOTS of UGA frat guys/girls but no so much anymore with the quick sellouts.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There's a ton about it in the book, but here's a take. It's always been a party, no question, and it still is but after Craig passed in 2013 it started to take on more weight. It became a family reunion. Now it had been heading that way, and Craig's Wednesday night Flicker party had really started that ball rolling, but it was a change. People started getting to town earlier, large gatherings for meals were not uncommon and when the shows started it felt like we were all in a great big living room with beer, and tequila and whiskey. Oh and loud Rock & Roll. The other thing was the element of service that the Nuci's Space fundraiser brought. So now it was a family reunion, a time to give back and a time to Rock. Oh and the band got better and more of a family themselves than maybe they had been in some of the more turbulent times, but that's not my story to tell. It did add to the positive energy though.. I know this isn't a very cohesive answer, if you read the book you'll get a better sense of it, but there was a change and it keeps changing. Where once most of stayed at a couple of hotels, now people stay at those and many of us get small groups together and stay at AirBnBs. Where once one of the Athens HeAthens would throw a party at his house, now that party is the 3DD Hangout. It's the best family reunion in the world, one where the crazy aunts uncles are not just welcome, they're encouraged.
Perfect. That's the sort of stuff I was wondering. I have devoured the book. Twice. And it is glorious. Absolutely brilliant. But much of what you write here, Dean, are things I wanted to make sure of. I had inferred a lot of this, but since some of it wasn't said outright, I didn't want to project too much. Thanks so much for taking the time to elaborate.
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

njMark

Post by njMark »

Speaking only for myself, it's become an event that when I can't make it, the rest of the year feels off. The first couple years I went it was fun but just fun. The more that I went it became more than just a good time. It has the feel of to quote Mr Finn, a unified scene for those few days in January and now February.